What Is The Value Of A Thai Passport?

webfact

One thing that really annoys me is

The Thai wife still has another 6 months to go before she will get her Australian Passport

But she has permanant residence in Australia and has also passed the UK Tourist visa as I was born in England and we have young child who also hold British and Australian Passports

But even though she has past the difficult task above, when she wants to get other visa she must go back through the complete test again

Facts Show more US citizens want to live in Australia than the other way around

So why do they still use the old excuse that she may not return to Australia

In todays computer world tie up, why when you past 1 1st world countries immigration system it is not taken into account with others

We waste so much time on government duplication

Yes she is counting the days when she can lock her Thai passport away. (only to be used on Thailand holidays)

There is no FACE having a Thai Passport

Getting an Australian Passport is like a giant step to HiSo living

not for long but maybe Australia will be ok id love to have a chinese passport or singapore Uk USA and europe are done for a Thai passport gives you much easier access to Asia Our children luckely have UK USa and Thai passports my thai wife has only Thai but that wont be any problem since although we might be forced to live elsewhere in Asia if dear Mr Taksin gets his way it certainly wont be USA Uk or west maybe Laos Burma (if allowed). Last place id want to be is Australia load of louts with no culture or manners or breeding and for once I would agree with Thais who consider forangs lesser beings in case of australians or rest of west with no culture or real values jap.gif

"Last place id want to be is Australia......." What gives you the idea that you would be allowed in to our country?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think many people are missing the point of the article which is essentially the following.

The current Thai government is spending a lot of effort to sort out the passport problems of one very wealthy and influential individual, while completely ignoring the passport problems of the rest of the population. Maybe they should represent the interests of the public at large instead of this one guy?

I think many people are missing the point of the article which is essentially the following.

The current Thai government is spending a lot of effort to sort out the passport problems of one very wealthy and influential individual, while completely ignoring the passport problems of the rest of the population. Maybe they should represent the interests of the public at large instead of this one guy?

Right On

Fully agree.

I would add that, as well as just passports, there are very many people born here who can't even obtain ID-cards and other basic-paperwork, a government which took up their cause would truly be helping the unfortunate poor. B)

While equally frustrated at the difficulties my Thai wife encounters in obtaining visas to some countries, one or two points.

• For the EU, there is a 'common visa list' I believe (or,at least there was). This list specified from which countries visitors did not need a visa - and applies (or applied) to all EU countries. Thus the UK was forced to apply visas to previously exempt countries such as Bahrain, Turkey and the UAE while (presumably) the same happened to som countries where a visa had not previously been necessary to visit e.g. Spain.
  • Requiring visas someimes relates either to secutity issues or (more often) the problem of overstays. The more people that get in and then fail to depart again, the harder it becomes for nationals of that country to get a visa. Think of Pakistan for both criteria and India for the second.

A great deal of the problem appears to stem from unclear and inconsistent criteria for entry - as well as from capricious local hire (Thai) staff. In my experience, getting a visa to (say) Australia is much easier if you can get past the 'garekeepers' and actually speak to an Australian!

WHAT ?????, indians and pakistanis get visas very easy , maily cos most of them have a relative or 10 in the UK, And most will never return to india/pakistan but will work for a family business and" dissapear" into thin air, taking jobs from REAL UK citizens, There was a programme on the BBC a few months ago with 10s of immigration officers watching illegal workers, this "sting operation cost £10,000s and when the apprehended the suspects they were powerless to deport them becouse they had no passport !!!!!!!

WHAT WAS THE POINT ? AND ALL THAT TAX PAYERS MONEY WASTED, and they do this EVERYDAY ....... OMG!! HOW THICK ARE FARANGS ????

The Thai wife still has another 6 months to go before she will get her Australian Passport

But she has permanant residence in Australia and has also passed the UK Tourist visa as I was born in England and we have young child who also hold British and Australian Passports

But even though she has past the difficult task above, when she wants to get other visa she must go back through the complete test again

In todays computer world tie up, why when you past 1 1st world countries immigration system it is not taken into account with others

Yes she is counting the days when she can lock her Thai passport away. (only to be used on Thailand holidays)

Australia has a high society? Strewth!

Yah, apparently we are. "As measured by median wealth levels, Australians are the wealthiest people in the world, says the Credit Suisse Global Wealth Report 2011"

http://www.smh.com.au/executive-style/luxury/australians-the-worlds-wealthiest-20111101-1mt2r.html

Yah, apparently we are. "As measured by median wealth levels, Australians are the wealthiest people in the world, says the Credit Suisse Global Wealth Report 2011"

http://www.smh.com.au/executive-style/luxury/australians-the-worlds-wealthiest-20111101-1mt2r.html

Wealth does not automatically instil a sense of decorum. (usually the opposite)

As far as the USA and UK are concerned, you can enter if you are rich, but poor people aren't allowed to have a holiday. It's a disgrace.

Ummm... not really. It's just that these two countries don't want the headache of ill-intended foreigners coming in, creating problems, and then staying there and making it their responsibility. So if you don't have a plan and the money to support it, what are you doing in my country?

Worse, at some of the immigration checkpoints, especially in Europe, Thai passport holders will receive special treatment with sinister questions and suspicious looks from some officials, as if the visitors are criminals or terrorists on the loose.

You reap what you sow. When other countries come to believe that issuance of a passport is only a matter of who you know in HiSo/political circles, then they will not trust you. If there was greater rigor in the issuance of such documents (oh... say... like following the law), maybe other countries would not be so suspicious. It's just like opening your door to yor house: if you have a good history, I would welcome you in. If I am not sure, I would double check.

Worse, at some of the immigration checkpoints, especially in Europe, Thai passport holders will receive special treatment with sinister questions and suspicious looks from some officials, as if the visitors are criminals or terrorists on the loose.

You reap what you sow. When other countries come to believe that issuance of a passport is only a matter of who you know in HiSo/political circles, then they will not trust you. If there was greater rigor in the issuance of such documents (oh... say... like following the law), maybe other countries would not be so suspicious. It's just like opening your door to yor house: if you have a good history, I would welcome you in. If I am not sure, I would double check.

Well said.

I believe some 80% of Thai visitors on tourist visas to the US never leave. That's a staggering number.

Washington often boasts that its excellent ties with Bangkok are the region's oldest with a 178-year history. Moreover, the two are key allies in the Asia-Pacific. But when it comes to visa requirements, Thailand is being treated as a normal country, with no reflection of their close relations and cooperation. In fact, continued efforts to negotiate a visa exemption in the past have not made progress. It is still not a priority.

If one agrees that the US and Thailand are good friends, then why can't Americans freely work in Thailand? Very difficult to obtain a work visa, but I don't believe the reverse is true for Thais in the US. It is not always 'tit for tat'. There are many factors involved in the reciprocity afforded to another country. It could be visa issuance (or visa waiver). It could be work privileges. And it could involve trade (im)balances, human rights issues, freedom of speech, exercising of the death penalty, and regional alliances. Just like everything else in international affairs, offering visa waiver can be based on political interests and can be a way to influence other countries' policies. Maybe that sounds like interfering, but doesn't everyone at some time or another try to 'guide' their friends' decisions to reflect one's own preferences?

Well said.

I believe some 80% of Thai visitors on tourist visas to the US never leave. That's a staggering number.

I doubt your number is correct.

• 5 months later...

Total Nonsense!!!!

Check again!! Thai cannot enter S. Africa without valid Visa!!

Your correct..................... Total Nonsense..!!!!!!!....but your the one talking Total Nonsense....!!!!!

Thai's can enter S Africa for a period of 30 days or less on a visa waiver, if wishing to stay longer can extend and get a "visa" in country for upto 90 days a time, but cannot stay more than 6 months in one calander year as a tourist (the 6 month rule applies to many nationalities not just Thai nationals ...and yes i know this as a fact.

In conclusion you are talking out your bottom

I don't understand why people are complaining about the US immigration and processing of visas. I recently went through US immigration process myself and found it much easier than the Thai interrogation that I go through every year here. Certainly the Americans are more professional.

I don't understand why people are complaining about the US immigration and processing of visas. I recently went through US immigration process myself and found it much easier than the Thai interrogation that I go through every year here. Certainly the Americans are more professional.

Of course they are more professional, they invented waterboarding and redition...whistling.gif

Thailand is known for sex tourism, poor education, poor labor force, few skilled workers

corruption, lax legal system, so why would other countries want to ease the flow of

Thais to their country?

I think the author of this article just got rejected for a visa to travel, and is now just ranting

So This is not Racist ??? Right .

Thailand is known for sex tourism, poor education, poor labor force, few skilled workers

corruption, lax legal system, so why would other countries want to ease the flow of

Thais to their country?

I think the author of this article just got rejected for a visa to travel, and is now just ranting

Thais to their country?

Sterotypical maybe...racist ?...no its not

• Like 1