German Resident Robbed At Gun Point In North Pattaya

Rimmer

German resident reports North Pattaya armed robbery

PATTAYA: -- A German resident of Pattaya was robbed at gunpoint as he walked home in the early hours of Monday. Mr. Hans Oskar Huebeck aged 67 reported the alleged crime at Pattaya Police Station with the help of a Thai friend. It was revealed he was walking back to his home after enjoying a night out with friends and inside Soi 16/1 off the Naklua Road, a motorbike came up beside him. He noticed a young man and a young women riding as passenger. The male stopped his bike and approached Mr. Huebeck and produced a gun. He demanded all cash and valuables be handed over. 16,000 Baht in cash, a wrist watch, mobile phone and ATM card were given over.

Full story HERE

pattaya-one.jpg

-- Pattaya One 2011-12-12

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to Pattaya.

And NOTHING will be done.

Farang fault for walking the streets.

And for stupidly carrying B 16k on him <_<

Everyone has to be a little on guard as my Thai friends in Pattaya have told me that, due to the floods and consequent loss of jobs/incomes, there are currently lots of transient/jobless Thais that have come to Pattaya to seek employment. Not all of them will find work and may have to resort to other means to obtain an income :(

The 16k baht are surprising.

Unless he just changed money or made a withdrawal from an ATM or someone had to pay out a debt to the man just earlier in the evening, I don't see why someone would carry that sum?

Could he have been observed doing that withdrawal?

I live in BKK, and have never been to Pattaya, so please excuse me for not knowing my way around. Often, in this forum, stories like these open the flood gates of some broad criticisms of Thailand. I certainly think armed robbery is the most dangerous situation, since it only takes a second to move to "homicide." Kudos to the person for having sense to hand it over and walk away.

i will venture to guess that Soi 16/1 off the Naklua Road is not a temple or meditation center. I will guess, it is a red light area.

So, before the Thai bashers get into overdrive, here is some adult advice. In other words, not really a Thai issue.

No matter what country you are in, or what continent...flashing around a sum of money equivalent to three month's wages after last call in the red light district is just plain stupid. That girl on the back of the bike? Hmmmm....do you think she might have noticed that rather attractive bulge in his pocket...and yes...I do mean 16,000 Baht. (plus the parting gift of a watch, phone and ATM card) Oh, and let me get this straight, he has 16,000 baht and is w-a-l-k-i-n-g alone in the dark Pure genius!

Sorry dude, if you are looking for sympathy, forget it...you went to the tiger cage in a suit made out of prime rib.

Ask (for it) and ye shall receive. At least he lived to tell the tale, I have lived in American cities where they would have eliminated the witness.

16000 is equivalent to 390 Euros and that is not a great deal of money to a farang but it is a great deal to a Thai, especially of they are destitute.

I am sure that the floods are causing all sorts of consequences in Thai society. I have taken greater care over my own personal security even here in Bangkok and I am extremely careful where I use an ATM these days which I never used to be.

Crime happens everywhere in the world and these are troubled times even back in the UK. When in Cambridge recently I was 'approached' when at an ATM in the middle of the city and if it had not been for the appearance of a group of people, I just wonder what would have happened to me.

I feel sorry for the German but at least he is safe and most probably covered in any case by his insurance policy.

Nothing stupid about carrying that small sum, leave the guy alone &lt;deleted&gt;, too many negitive b/s*****rs on this forum i think, maybe he needed it in a hurry and most probably he was watched whilst withdrawing it.

Theres loads of cctv on pattaya nua also everywhere else in pattaya, pattaya is safe in my view, ive never had a problem though i did kick two girls off their motorbike five weeks ago on 2nd rd, a young farang guy was very drunk, he brought out his wallet for something but these two girls snatched it from him on beach rd, i gave chase and when we reached a small soi near lek hotel i eventually caught up and kicked them off the bike, i didnt realise that behind me there was also some motorbike taxi drivers and maybe a plain clothes cop as when the girls were lying there on the ground the plain clothed guy gave them a few well deserved kicks around the body also a taxi driver gave out a few slaps. Thats the first time ive actually seen a robbery taking place in thirteen years in los. So in my view its safer than most other countries.

As sad as I am this happened, I am strangely relived too.

In the sense, that this wasn't in Phuket.

Hopefully this doesn't allow the bashing brigade more ammunition towards telling the forum how bad they think Phuket is.

Where ever tourist go, there will always be a criminal element too.

Tourists are simply too tempting for some criminals.

No respect for your fellow man and a perceived quick route to riches leads to this.

Sadly these lowlifes are everywhere.

Sounds great, good advertisement for the TAT which is just trying to bring more tourists to this safe place :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway, guess he had enough money to "share" it with some bandits, if someone walks around early morning after a bar tour with

so much money and looses it he is a fool. May be they watched him earlier - som nam na - lucky he isnt hurt or otherwise injured

i will venture to guess that Soi 16/1 off the Naklua Road is not a temple or meditation center. I will guess, it is a red light area.

no, it is not a RLD.

Most of the sub-sois leading off Naklua Road down to the hotels and condos of Wong Amat have beer bars and such so yes, it probably would be considered an "entertainment" zone...but nothing like sois 6, 7, 8, Pattaya Land, or Bua Khow.

I used to love flying to Thailand, to visit the friendliest nation in the world. It alarms me to see Thailand turning into a second Africa, where nobody seems to worry about our large and serious crimes

I'm living here for morethan ten years. Came to visit this country about 17 years ago and never had aserious problem you couldn't have abroad.

A German guy gotrobbed. That's already the end of the story. Have you ever heard what happenedto people from Asia in Europe or the States?

Your post is dedicatedto people that they shouldn't go to Africa, because you’re one of those whomake it difficult to live there? Mai Kau Tchai u…………jap.gif

16000 is equivalent to 390 Euros and that is not a great deal of money to a farang but it is a great deal to a Thai, especially of they are destitute.

I am sure that the floods are causing all sorts of consequences in Thai society. I have taken greater care over my own personal security even here in Bangkok and I am extremely careful where I use an ATM these days which I never used to be.

Crime happens everywhere in the world and these are troubled times even back in the UK. When in Cambridge recently I was 'approached' when at an ATM in the middle of the city and if it had not been for the appearance of a group of people, I just wonder what would have happened to me.

I feel sorry for the German but at least he is safe and most probably covered in any case by his insurance policy.

I don't know of any insurance against personal crimes like armed robbery...I mean, what's to stop anyone from saying they were just robbed of B 60k or 600k rather than a measly 16k?

Hopefully this doesn't allow the bashing brigade more ammunition towards telling the forum how bad they think Phuket is.

No respect for your fellow man and a perceived quick route to riches leads to this.

Bashing brigade ? May be just some guys living a bit longer in Phuket then you do. Be happy something like in this story

was not happend to you yet. Pattaya is not worse then Phuket and whereever there are tourists here in Thailand the scams

going on. Not quiet similar as in other countries....except from Italy maybe :rolleyes:

There are no robberies of ONLY tourists in Germany or jetski scams on the north sea or double prices for Asians....

have a great day, calm down and relax on our wonderful island.....hope you made it home alive...the traffic is a pain in the a55 :lol:

Sounds great, good advertisement for the TAT which is just trying to bring more tourists to this safe place :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway, guess he had enough money to "share" it with some bandits, if someone walks around early morning after a bar tour with

so much money and looses it he is a fool. May be they watched him earlier - som nam na - lucky he isnt hurt or otherwise injured

What do you mean som nam na ?

He most certainly didn't do it to himself.

Who's to say, maybe he needed the cash to pay the rent, and took it out on the way home, passing an ATM.

And he didn't loose his money, he was robbed at gun point.

You sir, seem very cold hearted towards this 67 year old man.

You base all your assumptions on half a story.

Assumption is the mother of all f***ups.

Bashing brigade ? May be just some guys living a bit longer in Phuket then you do. Be happy something like in this story

was not happend to you yet. Pattaya is not worse then Phuket and whereever there are tourists here in Thailand the scams

going on. Not quiet similar as in other countries....except from Italy maybe :rolleyes:

There are no robberies of ONLY tourists in Germany or jetski scams on the north sea or double prices for Asians....

have a great day, calm down and relax on our wonderful island.....hope you made it home alive...the traffic is a pain in the a55 :lol:

Have you ever been to Rio de Janeiro ?

Or just google scam Mallorca.

You are very naive to believe Thailand is worse than anywhere else tourists go.

Thailand does however have 2 major scams, that any one should know to avoid.

Mainly Tuk Tuk and jet ski.

Other than that, nothing out of the ordinary, that doesn't take place anywhere else.

Every tried buying a beer in Las Palmas ?

Obviously heavily overpriced if you don't know where to go.

Same as here.

As to your statements, if I was any calmer I would sleep.

Its too cold on the North Sea coast to attract tourists from all over the world.

The double prices does not only apply to caucasians, it applies equally to all non Thais.

So to say that we should use double price in Europe for only Asians, would be unfair, as all other races should be charged double too.

Just to get even huh ?

Hard pill to swallow for you, that relatively poor people charge perceived wealthy people more than they charge the locals is it ?

Not like when buying a car here, you pay double. Just go where ever they have printed menus in Thai and order from that.

Then you will get the local price.

If you think traffic is bad on Phuket, try Mumbai.

Seriously you need a reality check mate.

Edited by peterdk

Nothing stupid about carrying that small sum, leave the guy alone &lt;deleted&gt;, too many negitive b/s*****rs on this forum i think, maybe he needed it in a hurry and most probably he was watched whilst withdrawing it.

Theres loads of cctv on pattaya nua also everywhere else in pattaya, pattaya is safe in my view, ive never had a problem though i did kick two girls off their motorbike five weeks ago on 2nd rd, a young farang guy was very drunk, he brought out his wallet for something but these two girls snatched it from him on beach rd, i gave chase and when we reached a small soi near lek hotel i eventually caught up and kicked them off the bike, i didnt realise that behind me there was also some motorbike taxi drivers and maybe a plain clothes cop as when the girls were lying there on the ground the plain clothed guy gave them a few well deserved kicks around the body also a taxi driver gave out a few slaps. Thats the first time ive actually seen a robbery taking place in thirteen years in los. So in my view its safer than most other countries.

Nice that I don’t see guys like you……………jap.gif

This is pure fantasy, and a waste of server space.

Hmm, having a MALE Thai friend accompany you to the police station in the early hours of morning? Smacks of some gay background here

Or maybe he just didn't want a woman sitting next to him, all in tears, as her main concern was, that he could have been killed.

Makes sense to me.

Then again he may be gay, but that is none of our concern and frankly not anything to do with the OP's story about a tourist being mugged.