Noppadon: Peace Proposal Was My Idea, It Has Nothing To Do With Thaksin

webfact

POLITICS

Noppadol: Peace proposal was my idea

The Nation

30171701-01_big.jpg

Noppadol Pattama, the legal adviser to former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, yesterday defended his six-point proposal for national reconciliation, saying it has nothing to do with his client.

Noppadol, a former foreign minister, said the measures, including amending the constitution, were all his personal idea.

The recipe for reconciliation was designed to restore justice, lead to "sustainable democracy" and bring about national harmony, but he was not surprised by the Democrat Party’s criticisms, he said.

Democrat Party spokesman Chavanont Intarakomalsut lashed out at Noppadol and offered a six-point counterproposal, including a call for Thaksin, who has fled abroad to escape a criminal conviction here, to stop meddling in politics and accept the judicial process without question.

The attempt to seek a pardon for Thaksin is putting society on a collision course, he said.

The red shirts should "wake up" and realise that their political struggle over the past two years was not for democracy, he said.

Noppadol's proposal made no mention of class conflicts and the struggle does not make the poor - called "phrai" by the red shirts - themselves, any richer, while the only person benefiting from the struggle is Thaksin, he added.

Democrat Party MP Buranachai Samutarak said if any reconciliation proposal was aimed at helping Thaksin to retrieve his "ill-gotten" wealth and return to power, then the Democrats may not join the national reconciliation process.

That kind of proposal would only kindle a new round of political conflagration, he said.

Appointed Senator Surachai Liangboonlertchai, a member of the now defunct junta-appointed constitution drafting assembly, defended the 2007 charter framed by the assembly.

The public should not be concerned about how the charter came about but should focus on the content instead, he said.

The charter, as the supreme law of the land, should not be amended so often. Those in a position to benefit or lose from it are not qualified to propose any revisions, he said.

Article 237, which has come under pressure for allowing a political party to be dissolved if its executives are found guilty of election fraud, was meant to ensure that elections were free and fair.

Some "weaknesses" could be found in the charter, he admitted, but would not elaborate.

On Thaksin's return, he questioned what would happen if the ex-premier was granted a pardon but that did not foster national reconciliation.

Kwanchai Praipana, a red-shirt leader in Udon Thani, said he would arrange for the ordination of 999 red shirts at Sanam Luang this month in honour of His Majesty the King and in the hope that Thaksin will be granted a royal pardon.

He condemned the government for becoming attached to amending the charter instead of facilitating Thaksin's homecoming.

"We can't wait any longer," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-12-13

Noppadon Fires Back at Democrat Spokesperson's Accusations

The legal adviser of ousted premier Thaksin Shinwatra fires back at the Democrat spokesperson, saying that the accusation that his boss is moving back to create violence in the country is an old fashion smear tactic.

In an email statement sent to the Pheu Thai Party, Noppadon Patthama, a legal adviser to fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra, said his boss has never carried out any moves intended to bring about violence.

Noppadon defended that Thaksin's only goal is to rebuild peace and justice in the country.

His statement was in response to the Democrat spokesperson Chawanont Indhrakomalsut's accusations that the ousted premier was demanding that violence be stoked in the country.

Noppadon described Chawanont's remark as part of an old fashion smear campaign and cautioned the Democrat to take a look at why its political tactics have never worked when it comes to elections.

Thaksin's lawyer then said the government is focused on creating reconciliation nationwide and rehabilitating the country after the flood crisis.

He said that Thaksin's name in Royal Pardon Decree this year has been excluded, and this shows that the government is not working on behalf of a single person as its been accused.

He went on to say the return of Thaksin's Thai passport has also not been processed yet, and if it is in the future, the move must be in tandem with the law and discipline.

Noppadon maintained that the ousted premier would never have agreed with the government's devotion of its time to resolve his personnel problems rather than the people's.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-12-13

footer_n.gif

"It's not fame or fortune that led me to accept the job," he said.

"He said the fees his firm charges Thaksin would be higher than the normal hourly rate of Bt4,000 to Bt12,000, but he declined to provide an exact amount".

http://www.nationmul...es_30019427.php

Guess he knows which side of his bread is buttered.laugh.gif

Edited by FOODLOVER

Kwanchai Praipana, a red-shirt leader in Udon Thani, said he would arrange for the ordination of 999 red shirts at Sanam Luang this month in honour of His Majesty the King and in the hope that Thaksin will be granted a royal pardon.

ORDINATION.... off 999 Red Shirts??

They think they are a religion now.

The Cult of Thaksin takes another Great Leap Forward.

Goes perfectly with the Red Temples up north, with pictures of Thaksin prominent, and none of HRM or revered monks on display.

Edited by animatic

Goes perfectly with the Red Temples up north

They had no shortage of fake monks at their Red Shirt rallies, so why not?

CrazyMonks10-1.jpg

The public should not be concerned about how the charter came about but should focus on the content instead, he said.

100% agreed.

Every time a new constitution is written, they just write in some new flaws. Instead of writing a new one, save your time and just fix the existing one.

Regarding Kwanchai's Monks... perhaps there's a revival of this past notion...

thaksin_monk.jpg

Thaksin seeks monkhood

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008

Phra Phrom Vajirayarn, the abbot of Wat Yannawa in Bangkok, has confirmed the rumours that ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra would like to enter monkhood once he returned to Thailand. Thaksin had floated this idea in late 2007 that he would like to become a monk to pay respect to His Majesty the King, the abbot told Matichon newspaper.

"Noppadol, a former foreign minister, said the measures, including amending the constitution, were all his personal idea."

Funny, he said that about the doughnut box full of money - nobody believed that either.

"Noppadon maintained that the ousted premier would never have agreed with the government's devotion of its time to resolve his personnel problems rather than the people's." (sic)

He would have more credibility as a stand-up comedian.

Goes perfectly with the Red Temples up north, with pictures of Thaksin prominent, and none of HRM or revered monks on display.

Oh stop being such a drama queen.

I was lucky enough to go to a gathering (impromptu party) in a self proclaimed red village south of Chiang Mai not long ago. I say 'lucky enough' because it gave me the opportunity to actually gain knowledge and experience of such places instead of making up stereotyped hysteria to fill the gaps in my understanding as you have done in your post.

It was a typical group of villagers - around 10 friends and family members who've all known each other since childhood. The talk was of premier league football and joking around at each other's expense. 2 were ex-army, and one was still doing his 2 years service.

Taking a quick look inside the house, I can't remember seeing any pictures of Thaksin although I wouldn't have been at all surprised if there were and I missed them. What there was in obvious abundance though were images of the King and several presumably famous old monks. Again, it seemed perfectly ordinary to me.

Back outside it turned out that 2 of the party were fairly staunch yellow-shirt supporters. I saw them having heated discussion with others in the group which at no point got rowdy or ill tempered. It seemed people could say what they wanted perfectly easily without intimidation and when all was said and done the drinking and joking continued.

There were a couple of jokes levelled at the 2 yellows there - like 'oh he's yellow shirt, no good' etc etc but it was always in jest and similar to other comments like 'he like Manchester United, he no good'. I had asked earlier about intimidation of yellows in a red village and was laughed at.

So all I can say is that the red shirt village I went to was basically the same in essence to any other rural Thai village I've ever been to.

If those people are the terrorists you and your red shirt-hating buddies on this forum think they are, perhaps you need to tell them instead of a bunch of disconnected farangs on a web board. Thinking about it though, maybe a bunch of disconnected farangs is actually your best audience - how could they disagree with you?

From where I was sitting, these reds (and a couple of yellows) in this red shirt village looked uncannily like very normal, fair minded and light hearted people just getting on with their lives. Which by the way seems a much more dignified pursuit than habitually spouting other people's blind rhetoric on an anonymous web forum.

I was lucky enough to go to a gathering (impromptu party) in a self proclaimed red village south of Chiang Mai not long ago. I say 'lucky enough' because it gave me the opportunity to actually gain knowledge and experience of such places instead of making up stereotyped hysteria to fill the gaps in my understanding as you have done in your post.

It was a typical group of villagers - around 10 friends and family members who've all known each other since childhood. The talk was of premier league football and joking around at each other's expense. 2 were ex-army, and one was still doing his 2 years service.

Taking a quick look inside the house, I can't remember seeing any pictures of Thaksin although I wouldn't have been at all surprised if there were and I missed them. What there was in obvious abundance though were images of the King and several presumably famous old monks. Again, it seemed perfectly ordinary to me.

Back outside it turned out that 2 of the party were fairly staunch yellow-shirt supporters. I saw them having heated discussion with others in the group which at no point got rowdy or ill tempered. It seemed people could say what they wanted perfectly easily without intimidation and when all was said and done the drinking and joking continued.

There were a couple of jokes levelled at the 2 yellows there - like 'oh he's yellow shirt, no good' etc etc but it was always in jest and similar to other comments like 'he like Manchester United, he no good'. I had asked earlier about intimidation of yellows in a red village and was laughed at.

So all I can say is that the red shirt village I went to was basically the same in essence to any other rural Thai village I've ever been to.

If those people are the terrorists you and your red shirt-hating buddies on this forum think they are, perhaps you need to tell them instead of a bunch of disconnected farangs on a web board. Thinking about it though, maybe a bunch of disconnected farangs is actually your best audience - how could they disagree with you?

From where I was sitting, these reds (and a couple of yellows) in this red shirt village looked uncannily like very normal, fair minded and light hearted people just getting on with their lives. Which by the way seems a much more dignified pursuit than habitually spouting other people's blind rhetoric on an anonymous web forum.

Sounds similar to my village, a mixture of reds, yellows and don't give a dam_n. They never argue over national politics, just local politics of village management.

Sounds similar to my village, a mixture of reds, yellows and don't give a dam_n. They never argue over national politics, just local politics of village management.

The discussion I witnessed in the red shirt village was all about the national scene and nothing about the local one. Interesting.

Hanuman, no matter how well we blend in, I wonder if we create an "observer effect", would topic conversations be the same if we were not there? Or are red villages more politically aware, less parochial?

Hanuman, no matter how well we blend in, I wonder if we create an "observer effect", would topic conversations be the same if we were not there? Or are red villages more politically aware, less parochial?

Well the people I was with were proud to proclaim themselves red shirts, but most of them weren't 'hung up' on any of the issues. The political conversations weren't more than 10% of the total chatting during the 5-6 hours I was there. I just brought it up here because it was so clearly different from what we often hear from posters on TV that yellow villagers in red shirt villages live in fear of violence for expressing alternative opinions and this clearly was not the case in this red shirt village.

There were one or two of them that obviously did have opinions on national level politics so I would agree with you that those kind of people are more apparent in red shirt villages. This isn't really surprising though, as many commentators have said that for all his evils, Thaksin was the catalyst that brought heightened awareness of and interest in national politics to rural villages for the first time.

Well the people I was with were proud to proclaim themselves red shirts, but most of them weren't 'hung up' on any of the issues. The political conversations weren't more than 10% of the total chatting during the 5-6 hours I was there. I just brought it up here because it was so clearly different from what we often hear from posters on TV that yellow villagers in red shirt villages live in fear of violence for expressing alternative opinions and this clearly was not the case in this red shirt village.

There were one or two of them that obviously did have opinions on national level politics so I would agree with you that those kind of people are more apparent in red shirt villages. This isn't really surprising though, as many commentators have said that for all his evils, Thaksin was the catalyst that brought heightened awareness of and interest in national politics to rural villages for the first time.

Interesting (and somewhat reassuring) feedback, cheers.

Did the "yellows" there have any comments on the branding of the village by the "reds"? Reason for asking is I can say with absolute certainty the "yellows" (read die-hard PAD supporters) would take absolute exception their areas being publicly branded in a similar manor. That said, I also believe the regular, uni-educated anti-Thaksin types I know (much more numerous) also wouldn't be as passive as the "yellows" you describe either.

Maybe it's just daily city tensions adding to the stress.

There may be exceptions but most Thais seem to be tiring of divisive politics.

Unfortunately many Red Shirt supporters here can't seem to grasp that the Red Village movement is one of those divisive politics.

I have yet to hear a convincing argument for the necessity or rationale of this "Red Villages"; I mean, one that doesn't cast the Red Shirt movement on a bad light anyway.

Without a doubt anterian.

The Schrodingers Cat paradox.

If you look in the box to check the cat,

the cat changes because you looked at it.

We have seen here several picture sets of

'Red Temples centering on the cult of Thaksin'

in some villages that are EXACTLY as I described.

And then there's your ad hominem comment at me.

That wasn't drama, that was irony... try and keep up.

And on to your false assumption, leading to an invalid argument, that your village visited, represents all red villages (without a hypothetical cat in sight). Maybe you are the victim of 'Dancing Bears' who brought to a 'Potemkin Village', and sold you the 'lightly rouged' cover story, that they want you and us to hear of.

Just because the village you visited isn't that way, or hid that aspect from you, doesn't invalidate the pictures and their description,based on their own Thai captions.

Edited by animatic

Unfortunately many Red Shirt supporters here can't seem to grasp that the Red Village movement is one of those divisive politics.

I have yet to hear a convincing argument for the necessity or rationale of this "Red Villages"; I mean, one that doesn't cast the Red Shirt movement on a bad light anyway.

if you are trying to spread neo-communism on the Maoist blueprint it fits perfectly to plan. Of course they are not stating it as such and allowing themselves to be seen as' puppets of a charismatic leader' when that is only a temporary artifice. But when it comes time to change leadership one must wonder who will 'drop in, with clean hands' and take over a well constructed umbrella of indoctrinated people? If you have been waiting 30-40 years for this what's another 5 to actually pull it off?

Edited by animatic

if you are trying to spread neo-communism on the Maoist blueprint it fits perfectly to plan. Of course they are not stating it as such and allowing themselves to be seen as' puppets of a charismatic leader' when that is only a temporary artifice. But when it comes time to change leadership one must wonder who will 'drop in, with clean hands' and take over a well constructed umbrella of indoctrinated people? If you have been waiting 30-40 years for this what's another 5 to actually pull it off?

What exactly is wrong with "neo-communism on the Maoist blueprint" if that is what a majority of the electorate want ???

Seems to be working pretty well for the PRC, does it not ??

What exactly is wrong with "neo-communism on the Maoist blueprint" if that is what a majority of the electorate want ???

So much for "Democracy" then...

I don't think there is any "neo-communism" that fits on the Maoist blueprint. Today's "neo-communism" is just capitalism with a central control and command structure. Communism as a "competitive advantage" if you will. I think you'll find those near the center of power love the hell out of it and those a little further out aren't part of the electorate that matters.

Is it what the majority of the electorate want?

I don't think so, not for one minute.

I am just curious about animatics frequent references to the Thaksin lot following some sort of communistic agenda and the bad guys seemingly being about to tip Thailand into the communist abyss.

If Thaksin and the red shirts ( whatever that means ) are communists, my mothers the pope.

Over to you animatic ( whatever that means )