Ban Wat Chan

Spaniel

We will be in Chiang Mai in January for a couple of weeks and I was wondering if traveling to Ban Wat Chan is worth a visit. It's located in Mae Rim area on route 1096. Thought we would spend the night there before moving farther north.

Wat Chan, the town, may be the best long term investment region in the north, but apart from the great views getting there, it doesn't have much to offer despite the tremendous relative growth since it officially became an Amphoe a few years ago. The east road from Samoeng is still a bit rough in spots and best traveled in a pickup or 4WD vehicle. The north road from Pai is paved and in good condition. There is also the south all-weather dirt road from the 1263 east of Khun Yuam for the more adventurous and of course to the west is the "elephant trail" for the truly adventurous from Mae Hong Son to Wat Chan.

There are only a few guesthouses up there, but if you like peace and quiet and nature walks and slightly cooler temps then you might like it up there.

Thanks for the replies. Here is what we plan to do. From Chiang Mai procede north on route 107 to Mae Rim, turning left on route 1096. Continue on 1096 until Samoeng then on to route 1349. My map doesn't show this route but I assume 1349 will take us to Ban Wat Chan? Will spend the night in Wat Chan then take route 1265 north to route 1095, turn right, and return to route 107. My question is how are routes 1349 and 1265? I take it most is unpaved. Is this route safe? Will will be driving a Honda CRV. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Good plan, but please get a ,map that DOES show the road before setting off. You should be able to find one at DK Book Center. There are also some motorcycle riding forums with good info, and there are some maps aimed at the bike riding community that are very good. (Also if you don't ride motorbikes).

GPS is also helpful, but not essential of course.

as far as I remember, a relatively recent thread on gt-rider had photos of the condition of the road between Samoeng and Wat Chan (they also have the best map of the area, red cover, called "Mae Hong Son loop"). worth looking around on their forum.

My question is how are routes 1349 and 1265? I take it most is unpaved. Is this route safe? Will will be driving a Honda CRV. Any suggestions? Thanks.

There is always some traffic along that road and there are some villages along the route with cell hone towers so just bring some water and snacks. This is not an extreme road with high risks. There are some pretty bumpy paved sections for the first 20 kms heading out of Samoeng beginning just west of Mae Saap. The 40kms west of Bo Kaeo are very good, but then the road becomes dirt for about 40km until just before Wat Chan with a few short but heavily rutted sections. I rode this road twice last month, on a KLX motorcycle, and saw only pickup trucks and larger SUV style cars. You will be able to make it if you drive patiently, but it will be slow going in places. If there has been any heavy rain over the past 48 hours prior to departure then don't even think about it unless you have 4WD. The 1265 from Wat Chan to Pai is paved and presents no problems.

And yes, worth buying the GT-Rider MHS loop map. You can pick up a copy at the X-Center in Mae Rim along the way. That map is incredibly useful for all travel up north.

Edited by Johpa

On another forum a poster replied to my question about the road condition between Samoeng and Bat Wat Chan as being to rough for driving a CRV on. Jopha's report on the road conditions suggest that a CRV will be ok driving on this section. Anyone that has been on this road recently have any suggetions? Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

Along the main road just past the center of town, headed towards Pai, there is a small guest house signed on the left side of the road. This is the only one I know of within walking distance to town. To the east of the town center there is the Karen Eco resort, not sure of the exact name but I'm sure it can be found on google. Towards Pai a couple of kilometers is the very nice forestry Watchan plantation and resort. Don't know the prices but it's quite nice. They have good choices of accommodation from large wood houses to small A frame bungalows. On our 2 stops there they were extremely friendly and helpful, giving tours, stories and phone numbers, though it seemed most of their guest were pre booked tours they were more than willing to have drop ins.

Along the main road just past the center of town, headed towards Pai, there is a small guest house signed on the left side of the road. This is the only one I know of within walking distance to town. To the east of the town center there is the Karen Eco resort, not sure of the exact name but I'm sure it can be found on google. Towards Pai a couple of kilometers is the very nice forestry Watchan plantation and resort. Don't know the prices but it's quite nice. They have good choices of accommodation from large wood houses to small A frame bungalows. On our 2 stops there they were extremely friendly and helpful, giving tours, stories and phone numbers, though it seemed most of their guest were pre booked tours they were more than willing to have drop ins.

Thanks for the info. I googled the Karen Eco resort but the one noted is SE of Chaing Mai. Fot the Watchan Plantation & Resort I wasn't able to find any contact info, website, phone etc. If you have any contact info could you please post? Thankd.

We just started exploring the Wat Chan area last year and stay at a friends place. Before that just rode right past.

Not even 100% sure, but this looks like the place I've ridden by (certainly nicer looks on the website) is http://www.karenhilltribelodge.com

And since I keep a file on different accommodation I find, I found the phone number for the Wat Chan resort, 053249394. Planning to combine it with a little known tree house cabin to the north of CM and the flintstone style boulder houses in the orchid garden near Doi Inthanon, as a getaway with visiting friends.

Enjoy Ban Chan before the road from Samoeng is fully paved, as every year they do a bit more and I was told a few months back by the road crew it will completed within 2 years. After that it's certain to loose some of it's remote feeling.

Happy travels

Although I am not 100% certain, I think the "Karen ecolodge" is quite a bit west of the town of Wat Chan,along the "elephant trail", the back road to Mae Hong Song. Sections of that road require a durable 4WD vehicle or at least a dual sport motorcycle although locals who know the road ride it on scooters. It is a beautiful region, nearly 100% Karen from Wat Chan to the loop highway 108, just south of MHS city. The part of the road from Wat Chan to where I think the ecolodge is located is in relatively good condition with large sections looing lke they have been regraded in anticipation of future paving in the years ahead. But from the website, I suspect the "ecolodge" is a packaged tour deal similar to the "Mong Lodge" in Mae Rim.

Although I am not 100% certain, I think the "Karen ecolodge" is quite a bit west of the town of Wat Chan,along the "elephant trail", the back road to Mae Hong Song. Sections of that road require a durable 4WD vehicle or at least a dual sport motorcycle although locals who know the road ride it on scooters. It is a beautiful region, nearly 100% Karen from Wat Chan to the loop highway 108, just south of MHS city. The part of the road from Wat Chan to where I think the ecolodge is located is in relatively good condition with large sections looing lke they have been regraded in anticipation of future paving in the years ahead. But from the website, I suspect the "ecolodge" is a packaged tour deal similar to the "Mong Lodge" in Mae Rim.

Your correct, but even 3 weeks ago the road was unpaved but easy 2 up on street tires. Funny enough every time I've been by the place looks very quiet with no one in sight. I would guess that Wat Chan most has package tours staying over with the odd day tripper from Pai visiting. Prices look, um, pricey for the most remote destination in Thailand. Great for those interested by the nice photos on there website.

We just started exploring the Wat Chan area last year and stay at a friends place. Before that just rode right past.

Not even 100% sure, but this looks like the place I've ridden by (certainly nicer looks on the website) is http://www.karenhilltribelodge.com

And since I keep a file on different accommodation I find, I found the phone number for the Wat Chan resort, 053249394. Planning to combine it with a little known tree house cabin to the north of CM and the flintstone style boulder houses in the orchid garden near Doi Inthanon, as a getaway with visiting friends.

Enjoy Ban Chan before the road from Samoeng is fully paved, as every year they do a bit more and I was told a few months back by the road crew it will completed within 2 years. After that it's certain to loose some of it's remote feeling.

Happy travels

Thanks for the helpful info. We have been trying to call the number you listed for the Wat Chan Plantation, 053 249394, but it's always busy. Do you have any other contact numbers?

Thanks for the helpful info. We have been trying to call the number you listed for the Wat Chan Plantation, 053 249394, but it's always busy. Do you have any other contact numbers?

Nope, just that phone number, but you could try http://www.fio.co.th/, though it is in Thai. Found this site which indicates the phone is used for both the Mae Chaem and Wat Chan resorts - keep trying. We've put friends up in the Mae Chaem resort and it's wonderful.

Happy travels

Fishenough,

Thanks for all your help. I think I found the problem trying to contact Wat Chan Plantation & Resort. In your post above you noted their number as 053 249394 which I tried to call many times but always busy. In your last post you gave a link that mentioned the Wat Chan Plantation but the phone number is 053 249349 not 394! We were able to reach them on the 249349 number.