Buy Used Or Sub $100 Mtb ?

freedomnow

Can anyone suggest where I can buy a used or sub $100 generic MTB ?

Is it ok to ride slowly on the sidewalk there ?

I heard there are a lot of road accidents in Thailand.On side streets I'll be on the road but main big roads I prefer not to take that risk.

Just in case anyone else like myself that didn't know what MTB stood for - Mountain Bike. :)

Tywais, thanks for the GA, because I didn't know what MTB was either. I was worried I'd have to go look for a Good Answer myself.

Yes,yes basic mountain bike price ranges in Thai Baht please if you know ! Need to get in shape. Nothing fancy or surely it will get stolen even if it is locked up with anything less than a Kryptonite lock.

You're gonna get junk for $100. think big C mooban cruiser type.

Perfect.I've had an $8k custom ti bike and I've had a $50 clunker mountain bike.

In the city, as long as they are tuned up there is not a lot of difference , bar weight ,image and slightly rougher gear changes.

I find if you add quality points of contact to the basic bikes:-

semi-slick tyres/grippy platfom pedals/nice saddle/handle grips then that is enough.

Edited by freedomnow

Just in case anyone else like myself that didn't know what MTB stood for - Mountain Bike. :)

Tywais, thanks for the GA, because I didn't know what MTB was either. I was worried I'd have to go look for a Good Answer myself.

Yes,yes basic mountain bike price ranges in Thai Baht please if you know ! Need to get in shape. Nothing fancy or surely it will get stolen even if it is locked up with anything less than a Kryptonite lock.

Bicycles aren't particularly likely to get stolen in Thailand. Less so than motorbikes anyway. Just about any regular lock will do.

You can't ride on the sidewalk, usually. Have you ever seen a sidewalk in Thailand? You'd need an enduro bike to go over or around all the obstackles, uneven kerbs.. Stick to the road, that's what it's for.

Your best bet may be to look for a used bike imported from Japan (you can use the search function on this forum to dig up the locations of one or two shops that sell these). There's a pretty good market for ok quality bikes that shipped over in bulk to fill empty space in containers. You can find cruiser type bikes, MTBs, and road bikes. Some are clunkier than others, but it sounds like you know bikes and can sort out what's what. Japan as the market of origin has decent spec rollers to begin with. In terms of value for your dollar or baht, the secondhand market is much much better than anything you could pick up new for the price you mentioned. Plus of course you can bargain hard.

Sidewalks are uncommon, and the ones that exist are uncommonly difficult to navigate, even on foot, let alone bicycle. The roads in chiangmai are ok for bicycles. good luck!

Your best bet may be to look for a used bike imported from Japan (you can use the search function on this forum to dig up the locations of one or two shops that sell these). There's a pretty good market for ok quality bikes that shipped over in bulk to fill empty space in containers. You can find cruiser type bikes, MTBs, and road bikes. Some are clunkier than others, but it sounds like you know bikes and can sort out what's what. Japan as the market of origin has decent spec rollers to begin with. In terms of value for your dollar or baht, the secondhand market is much much better than anything you could pick up new for the price you mentioned. Plus of course you can bargain hard.

Sidewalks are uncommon, and the ones that exist are uncommonly difficult to navigate, even on foot, let alone bicycle. The roads in chiangmai are ok for bicycles. good luck!

Great tips ! OK ,I guess I won't get pancaked after all, by being on the main roads !