Suvarnabhumi Airport 2nd Phase Development To Be Finished In 2016

webfact

Suvarnabhumi Airport 2nd phase development to be finished in 2016

image_2011121512120140225F7D-BCF2-8780-0388CD74B738137E.jpg

BANGKOK, Dec 15 – The Airports of Thailand (AoT) will speed up completion of the second phase expansion of Suvarnabhumi Airport to 2016, one year ahead of its earlier scheduled 2017.

The second phase project uses a Bt62.5 billion budget, said Transport Minister Sukampol Suwannathat. The ministry plans to make Suvarnabhumi Airport the region’s aviation hub.

Acting Suvarnabhumi Airport Director Somchai Sawasdipol said the second-phase expansion of Thailand’s gateway will lead to an AOT lack of liquidity from 2014-2517, so the agency plans to issue bonds and debentures to boost its liquidity.

The transport minister also spoke about developments with other Thai airports.

He said that AoT will develop Bangkok’s Don Mueang, mainly used for domestic flights, in cooperation with Thai Airways International as a maintenance centre and aviation industry hub. However, the airport continues to service charter flights and private jets.

Regarding reconstruction of Don Mueang Airport after this year’s floods, the eastern runway will be completed within 60 days or by February with a Bt489 million budget, while Bt1.25 billion will be spent to restore the western runway, to be operational in January.

Air Chief Marshal Sukampol said that the ministry instructed AoT to develop Phuket International Airport with a budget of Bt5.7 billion.

Under the project, an additional passenger terminal will be built and the three-kilometre runway will be extended by another 500-700 metres to serve large aircraft from Europe.

When finished, Phuket airport will be able to accommodate 12 million passengers, nearly doubling its existing capacity of 6.5 million passengers annually. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-12-15

Big surprise ... now aviation hub

The first phase is under used ... what is the need for a 2nd phase

Why not just use Don Muang for all domestic flights and Swampy for all international flights

Saves a lot of money

What is under used about the airport?

Why not just use Don Muang for all domestic flights and Swampy for all international flights

Saves a lot of money

Underused, in my opinion

I was there last week

Departure hall was empty

Flag ship carrier Thai Airways check ins were empty

Even the discount carriers had small lineups for check ins

Saves a lot of money

Underused, in my opinion

I was there last week

Departure hall was empty

You've never been there during the late evening then.

Saves a lot of money

Underused, in my opinion

I was there last week

Departure hall was empty

You've never been there during the late evening then.

under used morning -over used evening--what a HUB :lol::D:lol:

Saves a lot of money

But would inconvenience millions of passengers every year, when they connect from Domestic to International, perhaps ?

Why repair both runways at DMK when it only needs one, for existing & future forecast traffic-levels, and costs 1.25 billion Baht to fix the second runway, what a tremendous opportunity to save towards the work at Swampy, and reduce brown-envelopes ... Oh, I just spotted the flaw in my thinking there. :o<_<

Acting Suvarnabhumi Airport Director Somchai Sawasdipol said the second-phase expansion of Thailand’s gateway will lead to an AOT lack of liquidity from 2014-2517, so the agency plans to issue bonds and debentures to boost its liquidity.

Gosh, they plan to skimm off for 500+ years! Who said Thais are not good in long term planning? :lol:

P.S.: Yes I know, just the usual sloppy reporting/translating, but couldn't resist.

At least they are actually taking action to improve the grounds instead of just saying, "miracle Thailand, come take a look"

Personally I'm amazed at how many flights still require deplaning on the tarmac and taking a bus for a ride around the airport. Hopefully this phase 2 expansion will allow more planes to park at a gate on arrival.

At least they are actually taking action to improve the grounds instead of just saying, "miracle Thailand, come take a look"

Personally I'm amazed at how many flights still require deplaning on the tarmac and taking a bus for a ride around the airport. Hopefully this phase 2 expansion will allow more planes to park at a gate on arrival.

The Thai Airports Authority charges more for linking to a jetway.

If you have to de-plane away from the terminal and catch a bus, then you've probably saved a few dollars on your airfare.

Be happy.

Saves a lot of money

You sound like someone who works over there and check every inbound flight into Swampy laugh.gif

>The second phase project uses a Bt62.5 billion budget, said Transport Minister Sukampol Suwannathat.

Does any one know what they will build for this 62.5 billion second phase ? :rolleyes:, a new terminal, a third runway? How much billions to fill a few pockets?

>Regarding reconstruction of Don Mueang Airport after this year’s floods, the eastern runway will be completed within 60 days or by February with a Bt489 million budget, while Bt1.25 billion will be spent to restore the western runway, to be operational in January.

Really?

What's there to repair on the runways??? Thought only taxi ways and buildings were flooded.

It's ridiculous to run a second airport for 100 daily aircraft movements (50 landings, 50 departures)

>The second phase project uses a Bt62.5 billion budget, said Transport Minister Sukampol Suwannathat.

Does any one know what they will build for this 62.5 billion second phase ? :rolleyes:, a new terminal, a third runway? How much billions to fill a few pockets?

"a new terminal, a third runway? How much billions to fill a few pockets?"

Yes ... and lots.

http://www.suvarnabh...s_phase2_en.php

>Regarding reconstruction of Don Mueang Airport after this year's floods, the eastern runway will be completed within 60 days or by February with a Bt489 million budget, while Bt1.25 billion will be spent to restore the western runway, to be operational in January.

Really?

What's there to repair on the runways??? Thought only taxi ways and buildings were flooded.

It's ridiculous to run a second airport for 100 daily aircraft movements (50 landings, 50 departures)

Unless the runways are 2 metres above the taxi-ways, then the runways got flooded too.

The airport is used by the airforce, so the number of flights isn't really relevant.

Edited by whybother

Yes ... and lots.

I'm a little confused by the graphic on top versus the bottom. It seems like the graphic on top would be a reasonable thing to complete in 2016, while the "phase 2" graphic below would cost more than the budget and seems more like a "master plan"

Yes ... and lots.

I'm a little confused by the graphic on top versus the bottom. It seems like the graphic on top would be a reasonable thing to complete in 2016, while the "phase 2" graphic below would cost more than the budget and seems more like a "master plan"

Agreed ... the lower picture looks more like Phase 3, with 2 extra runways.

Saves a lot of money

It'd work fine for air travellers only using domestic or only using international. But fly in on an inter, then spend nearly as long again getting over to DM in less than ideal travelling conditions however you do the land journey, or vice-versa for the opposite journey, could send custom elsewhere.

Saves a lot of money

Saves a lot of who's money ???? Example- I fly from Udon Thani Air Asia has to provide me with a choice. 1, domestic to DMk and another for connecting flight to Swampy.

When speaking about Domestic we MUST have connecting flight in mind. OR

If the business is brisk enough example Nok Air..to fly a solely domestic to DMk and other airports, along with Samui and Phuket, Chiang mai where you would automatically use that airport for domestic and other connections.

International flights needs direct domestic connections, it's a must.

Imagine all domestic flights going into Gatwick-UK..........and transfer to LHR for international. Use Don.M for an airport say for BKK mainly+Rail-Bus transfers, the type of cargo that comes separate to factories etc, Bangkokians to Phuket-Samui-Chiang Mai, and others solely domestic.

Edited by ginjag

When you guys talk about international connections, which one of these are you speaking about mostly

1) From my village, to another destination in Asia

2) From my village, back to the motherland (Europe, N. America, etc)

3) From the motherland, to my village

4) From Asia, to my village

5) My trip begins/ends in Bangkok

I would assume you guys do not live in Bangkok because you would never be transferring through Bangkok.

I can understand the complaints about going from your village, flight to DMK then ground transport to BKK. A little annoying but TiT so you should be used to it.

If I wanted to fly from N. America to Udon Thani, then my flight would not arrive to BKK until midnight and I would have to sleep overnight in Bangkok anyways, so going to DMK in the morning would not be an issue.

Personally I think it's fine to have two airports. Sure it's a waste of money, but in the grand scheme of life for a foreigner in Thailand, I think it would be one of the most minor inconveniences.