Pizza Bases - Source For Mixer And Flour

tebee

Having told my wife that I used to make my own home made pizzas she now wants me to make some for her here. Now the first problem was she didn't have an oven, but a trip down to Makro secured a mini-oven for a very reasonable 1,900 baht together with olive oil and tomato paste. But we couldn't find either a hard wheat flour or ready o roll out pizza dough. The only mixer that looked man enough to mix bread dough was a whopping 5,900 baht and I didn't see any bread-making machines I could have used instead.

Back home I used Kenwood Chef with a dough hook and although you can pick these up for £20-50 used in the UK, they are little on the heavy and bulky side to stick in my baggage.

So any suggestions as to what I could used here and where to get it in the Bkk area?

Strong (bread) flour is readily available in Villa, Tops and Foodland.

Bread dough is easy to make by hand. However, if you're really not into kneading, there are no-knead bread recipes.

Ready made pizza dough is available in MaxValue in the chiller cabinet.

Ready made pizza dough is available in MaxValue in the chiller cabinet.

MaxValue, I have not heard of them, Please more info?

As the OP I've not heard of the either, but then I live out in the bkk suburbs ( near Rangsit) not in the usual ex-pat areas

• 2 weeks later...

MaxValu (sorry - no "e") is a Japanese supermarket chain with branches across Bangkok. The parent company is, I believe, Aeon. Aeon also has a number of Jusco stores. I think Jusco might be rebranding as MaxValu - but I'm not sure. The store format is relatively small, but they have a very good range of vegetables and fish as well as imported (particularly Japanese) products. Prices are better than the likes of Villa and TOPS.

I live in the "boonies"(in the middlle of sugar cane fields), not normally where expats live. No Viilas, tesco or bigs Cs within 100 kilometers. I make my dough by hand. I use bread flour, when I can get it, but all purpose works okay. I buy it in the open air thai market in the closest village. I do have a regular oven that I bought at Home Pro, but I also use a counter top convection oven sometimes. I don't measure anything exactly, but use about 3/4 cup hot water, a heaping tablespoon of active dry yeast(make sure that it's not beyond the expiration date), pinch of salt, pinch of sugar and about (I just looked) 2 cups of flour. I let the yeast proof in the water for about 5 minutes and add all of the other ingredients. Mix with a fork until crumbly, turn out on a floured board and kneed for about 5 minutes. then form it into a ball and put in a greased bowl, cover and let rise about 30 minutes. Roll it out, thick or thin and top it. It makes one large pizza or two small ones about 10 inches. I then cook it on a pizza stone in a very hot oven, about 230 centegrade. I let the pizza stone get very hot first, maybe 30 minutes. The pizza stone is the piece of granite counter top that I cut out when I Installed my sink. If you can find corn meal its best to spread some on the stone to avoid sticking, but I use a little flour. Not the best I've ever had, but definitely better than pizza hut or any store bought crust. I had a couple of pieces for lunch today.

If you leave out the yeast and substitute a small amiount of lard you can make flour tortillas. If you add too much lard you get pie crust.

Edited by wayned

You don’t need a mixer to do pizza dough, as you can do it by hand easily enough – though I use a food processor (Severin bought at Virasu) with the dough blade attachment if I’m feeling lazy. Villa has several varieties of wheat flour (I never buy the pizza mix) – I usually do 2/3 wheat and 1/3 all-purpose. My GF can’t believe how good homemade pizza is and won’t eat it out anymore. Dough ingredients are cheap – try a few and see how they come out – there are many recipes on the internet. I suggest going for the ones that use olive oil. I have a pizza stone I brought back from the US, but I have seen pizza trays at Emporium.