Advanced Car Insurance Payment?

Pinot

I bought a Mazda 2 in April that included the first year insurance. Now the insurance company wants to come out and take a photo of my car and charge me 600bt. Something about all the flood damage in Bangkok? Is anyone else getting this? I think the payment will be deducted from the new policy. Language issues going on here.

It's standard practice for a company rep to come and examine/photograph a car before insuring it, but it sounds unusual for the existing insurer to do so unless a claim has been made. With so many claims to process they may just want to ensure no future flood-problems will be claimed for, so while I'd suggest to just pay the money if you want to stick with the company, do shop around for better quotes before agreeing to this.

As you're experiencing now, language can be a barrier so it's best to try and find an English-speaking broker and carefully examine a range of policies from a number of different companies (as any competent broker will offer). Looking carefully at the sum insured and try to get an independent valuation of your car to see what a realistic figure should be. Try to lower the quote by being the named driver, for example, and choose whether you want the car repaired at the Mazda dealership or an authorized garage, the latter of which is far cheaper but highly inadvisable.