Fixed Deposit For Visa Extension? Ok In Chiang Mai?

THAIPHUKET

We should probably clarify what's meant by a "fixed depost". I've had no problems in Chiang Mai using a fixed deposit from Bangkok Bank with an orange passbook. Immigration really likes to see passbooks.

Does anyone have experience with some of the foreign banks with Thai offices that don't use passbooks? I understand that HSBC just has monthly statements and no passbooks.

We should probably clarify what's meant by a "fixed depost". I've had no problems in Chiang Mai using a fixed deposit from Bangkok Bank with an orange passbook. Immigration really likes to see passbooks.

Does anyone have experience with some of the foreign banks with Thai offices that don't use passbooks? I understand that HSBC just has monthly statements and no passbooks.

I've been using HSBC statements for my visa renewals for the past seven years and I've never had a problem. Phuket Immigration tried to scare me two years ago by suggesting that HSBC wasn't a Thai bank therefore in future years my funds might not qualify unless I changed banks, I simply told him that idea was never going to fly so don't even go there, he'd already stamped my visa at that point so he simply gave me back my passport and I left, have heard nothing more since. As far as CM Immigration is concerned: I've never had a problem with HSBC statements when used for visa renewal purposes.

Also, on the subject of deposits: I have three different currency accounts on the same HSBC statement, THB, GBP and SGD, I'm sure that the Immigration guys don't understand all the detail so HSBC produces the required letter each year and shows an overall balance as THB equivalent, even though the funds are held otherwise. That has never been a problem and some of the funds are held on Time Deposits although you'd be hard pressed to tell that from the statement, especially if you were Thai.

Edited by chiang mai