How Much Should Tourism Job Pay?

donnacim

Hello,

I've applied for a job with a company that arranges tours, and they've contacted me asking what my salary expectations are . . . no idea! The job title is operations/reservations officer, they need English speakers and asked for another language- mine is Spanish which obviously isn't the most useful here. While I have no direct experience in this kind of tourism work, I have years of experience working with the public and developing strong organizational skills . . .

Can anyone give me a ball-park figure of what would be a normal salary for such a position?

Thanks,

Donna

Well.....difficult to say, but, the lowest paid English teacher (westerner) gets about 30,000 Bt per month, so that would be a basement figure.

Unlikely you would be able to obtain a WP based on 30 K /month. Then there is the long stay visa issue, need 65 K /month for one year extension.

Well.....difficult to say, but, the lowest paid English teacher (westerner) gets about 30,000 Bt per month, so that would be a basement figure.

Unlikely you would be able to obtain a WP based on 30 K /month. Then there is the long stay visa issue, need 65 K /month for one year extension.

Well, I have an ED visa, no idea what this company's plans are . . . do you have to make 65 K just to get a work permit?

Still wondering about salary . . . not sure a teacher's salary is relevant to what they'd pay. Also, is this a negotiation process, or do they really look at the amount I say as my bottom line?

Well, I have an ED visa, no idea what this company's plans are . . . do you have to make 65 K just to get a work permit?

No, it's possible to obtain a WP at 30 K/month depending on your nationality. But to get the one year extension (i.e. not make a border crossing every 90 days) you need to show 65 K/month to immigration (and the income tax paid on 65 K).

No, it's possible to obtain a WP at 30 K/month depending on your nationality. But to get the one year extension (i.e. not make a border crossing every 90 days) you need to show 65 K/month to immigration (and the income tax paid on 65 K).

Okay thanks, I get it. I think I'll say 40 . . . please stop me quickly if that sounds low! About how much would I have a month after taxes?

Okay thanks, I get it. I think I'll say 40 . . . please stop me quickly if that sounds low! About how much would I have a month after taxes?

Not for me to say what your expertise is worth. I can say a 40 k/month gross salary will not give you a good European living standard here in Phuket. You certainly won't save much money for your future.

Income tax rate is 10% and steps up to 20% at higher salary levels. You will qualify for personal allowances (think it's 12,000 baht/month) so you will be looking at paying over 2,000 baht/month plus 5% contribution (not sure if that rate has changed recently) to social security = another 2,000 baht/month. So count on at least 4 grand total deductions per month.

Spanish national, well most western nationalities, need to pay tax from 50k baht/month. Except US and Japan, 60k baht/month. So this is supposed to be the lowest salary for farang

That's a very fuzzy subject. I see lots of talk about those sort of figures. I can tell you that for the last 10 years I (as a UK citizen) was granted a work permit based on 30 K/month (and only ask for documenation of 1,500 baht/month tax paid or 18,000 baht/year). I have yet to see any form of written guide lines from the Phuket Labour Office. On the other hand Phuket Immigration won't except tax paid on only 30 K when I apply for an extension (based on marriage to Thai national). They demand tax paid on 40 K/month, so I pay tax on 40 K. Not that I even see the 30 K .... :whistling: As another poster stated it's all fudged anyway.

Spanish national, well most western nationalities, need to pay tax from 50k baht/month. Except US and Japan, 60k baht/month. So this is supposed to be the lowest salary for farang

Sounds like it will be without workpermit supplied, salary around 20,000-30,000 Baht.

Thanks to everyone for the info. 60 K sounds high to me, especially for an entry-level position . . . and I don't know if they're offering a permit, so I've just responded that without knowing more details I'm giving them an idea of the amount I'm looking for as around 40. Wish me luck! :)

Thanks to everyone for the info. 60 K sounds high to me, especially for an entry-level position . . . and I don't know if they're offering a permit, so I've just responded that without knowing more details I'm giving them an idea of the amount I'm looking for as around 40. Wish me luck! :)

Working in Thailand without a Work permit is illegal. When found out you will be deported. Any legitimate company offering a full time salaried position and not offering a WP - forget it, run away fast. The exception is self employed people with their own company who hire out their services to other companinies.

Working in Thailand without a Work permit is illegal. When found out you will be deported. Any legitimate company offering a full time salaried position and not offering a WP - forget it, run away fast. The exception is self employed people with their own company who hire out their services to other companinies.

I've heard that occasionally they make an example of someone, and it gets much worse than deportation . . . either way, a very important issue to keep in mind.

That's a very fuzzy subject. I see lots of talk about those sort of figures. I can tell you that for the last 10 years I (as a UK citizen) was granted a work permit based on 30 K/month (and only ask for documenation of 1,500 baht/month tax paid or 18,000 baht/year). I have yet to see any form of written guide lines from the Phuket Labour Office. On the other hand Phuket Immigration won't except tax paid on only 30 K when I apply for an extension (based on marriage to Thai national). They demand tax paid on 40 K/month, so I pay tax on 40 K. Not that I even see the 30 K .... :whistling: As another poster stated it's all fudged anyway.

You are getting a bit confused over the required income levels.

You applied for an extension based on marriage - not work - so your requirement is 40k per month or 400k in the bank. The 65k you mention is for an extension based on retirement, or 800k in the bank.

For most nationalities, the requirement for a work permit (or extension based on work) is 50k per month. There are exceptions for certain occupations (teachers for example), and nationalities, but your advice here is way off the mark.

@OP, if they will not pay you 50k p/m then they will not be providing a work permit. Totally not worth getting involved with this company if they are that shady.

Tourism jobs in Thailand (Phuket is renowned) are notoriously underpaid and mostly illegal. The local immigration police know this and conduct occassional crackdowns on foreign workers in the industry. If there is no work permit - and therefore a min. of 50k a month - don't do it.

You applied for an extension based on marriage - not work - so your requirement is 40k per month or 400k in the bank. The 65k you mention is for an extension based on retirement, or 800k in the bank.

For most nationalities, the requirement for a work permit (or extension based on work) is 50k per month. There are exceptions for certain occupations (teachers for example), and nationalities, but your advice here is way off the mark.

@OP, if they will not pay you 50k p/m then they will not be providing a work permit. Totally not worth getting involved with this company if they are that shady.

Tourism jobs in Thailand (Phuket is renowned) are notoriously underpaid and mostly illegal. The local immigration police know this and conduct occassional crackdowns on foreign workers in the industry. If there is no work permit - and therefore a min. of 50k a month - don't do it.

Thanks QED!! This is the info I need! Well, you certainly sound like you know what you're talking about anyway. :) If they get back to me based on the 40 that I put out there I'll make sure they're willing to go up to 50 and with the permit. I'd really only heard about teachers' salaries before, so thought anything 40 and up was extravagant. Thanks again!

No QED I am not getting confused, I have no wish to squabble with you. Let's review what I posted ....

I was clearly discussing an extension based on a WP. I clearly stated 65 K/month required by Immigration for extension and with a WP (obviously not retired). Then the conversation turned to minimum salary for WP and I related that I had a WP for years based on 30 K, but had to increase to 40 K/month due to Immigration regs for foreigner married to Thai and with a WP (and not retired). Apologies to everyone for any confusion, plus this is way off topic and I'm out of here.

ATTACHMENT TO ROYAL THAI POLICE HEADQUARTERS ORDER NO. 777/2551 dated November 25, 2008 Income Table Referred to Clause 2.1 (2)

Nationality and Minimum Income requirements for 12 month extensions based on employment

1. European countries (except Russia), Australia continent, Canada, Japan, and U.S.A.

Baht 50,000/month

2. South Korea, Singapore, Taiwan and Hong Kong

Baht 45,000/month

3. Asian countries (except Japan, South Korea, Singapore, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Cambodia, Myanmar, Laos and Vietnam), South America continent, Countries in Eastern Europe, Countries in Central America, Mexico, Turkey, Russia and South Africa

Baht 35,000/month

4. African countries (except South Africa), Cambodia, Myanmar, Laos and Vietnam

Baht 25,000/month

ATTACHMENT TO ROYAL THAI POLICE HEADQUARTERS ORDER NO. 777/2551 dated November 25, 2008 Income Table Referred to Clause 2.1 (2)

Nationality and Minimum Income requirements for 12 month extensions based on employment

1. European countries (except Russia), Australia continent, Canada, Japan, and U.S.A.

Baht 50,000/month

2. South Korea, Singapore, Taiwan and Hong Kong

Baht 45,000/month

3. Asian countries (except Japan, South Korea, Singapore, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Cambodia, Myanmar, Laos and Vietnam), South America continent, Countries in Eastern Europe, Countries in Central America, Mexico, Turkey, Russia and South Africa

Baht 35,000/month

4. African countries (except South Africa), Cambodia, Myanmar, Laos and Vietnam

Baht 25,000/month

hmmm . . . so they say these are salary minimums for a 12 month extension . . . does that mean for any WP to be issued these hold true, or is this that special "don't have to leave every 3 months" permit?

i know many people on this visa, but have never had to show 65 K, me included

Operations / Reservations Officer 35,000-45,000 is the norm. Throw in a couple of other languages and you might be able to ask for more. Negotiate from 20,000 on top of what you actually need. WP and visa should be provided if it is a long standing reputable company here in Phuket.

Good luck !