Taxi Fare Hike Must Be Reasonable: Thai Transport Minister

webfact

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The so-called traffic laws in this country are so gay. Either that or they are not being enforced. The following changes need to be made:

1) Driving at night without lights (which I just can't believe happens, even in Thailand) - 10,000 Baht fine and 1 year driving ban.

2) Motorbikes riding on the pavement - 2,000 Baht fine and 3 month ban.

3) Proper Western driving tests (both written and practical).

4) Driving the wrong way down a one-way street - 1,000 Baht fine.

5) Decrease the amount of taxis in Bangkok by 50%. You can't move on Ratchada or Sukhumvit for taxis some evenings.

6) Enforce geography tests for all existing and new taxi drivers, so that they know where they are driving.

I doubt this will ever happen, but we can all dream.

700-800 baht a day is better than a lot of unskilled locals get. 800 Baht a day ain't too bad for sitting on your backside in a taxi, while construction workers have to sweat it out for 300 per day.

I remember a conversation I had a few years ago with a taxi driver who explained to me, that apart from the minority of drivers who own their own taxis, most taxi drivers rent a taxi for about 500 baht a day (8 hour shift) from a central organization and must pay fuel on top. On an average shift he made about 200 baht an hour, (1'600 a shift), he'd lose 500 to the rental + fuel and normally walk away with about 8-700 baht a shift. Which if you think about it. 700 baht for 8 hours of Bangkok traffic is a <deleted>'in nightmare.

Of course he was probably exaggerating parts to get a tip

On the whole Bangkok taxis are as good or bad as taxis anywhere in the world. If you don't like the taxi you're in best bet is to get out and wait for another to come along in 1 minute.

i find most taxi's i have been in DO know their way around. a few messed up but its a few.

and i think they do deserve a little more for their service as the fare has only risen once in 12 or 13 years.

so i usually tip ( but only if they offer good service and arent traffic whiners.)

I agree whole-heartedly! Taxis are a real bargain in Bangkok. A family of 4 travel by taxi more cheaply than by other mass transit. I don't know how private taxi owners exist with such low fairs. In my experience problems in finding their way around have been due to language challenges. Compared some other major cities, Bangkok taxis are not only cheap, but the drivers are good-natured, and both are very clean. Mass transit of all modes are ridiculously inexpensive in Thailand. I'm tired of cheap-ass farangs complaining about prices rising by a US penny. I'm very cheap, but cannot complain about the cost of getting around.

Now, my complaint would be that Pattaya desperately needs real taxis and real buses! The songtaus (sp) are cute for a while, but become a pain in the ass (literally) after a while. For those who don't know, songtaus are nothing but pickup trucks with benches. They run routes as buses for a bargain 10 baht, and you can flag one down to be taxied privately, but then fairs have to be bargained, which is highly irritating. The few metered taxis (I mean taxi meter) only hang around the major shopping malls and are way over-priced. So please, send those excess Bangkok taxis down to Pattaya. I know it's not that simple.

i find most taxi's i have been in DO know their way around. a few messed up but its a few.

and i think they do deserve a little more for their service as the fare has only risen once in 12 or 13 years.

so i usually tip ( but only if they offer good service and arent traffic whiners.)

"He said it is due to the fact that there are currently 70,000 taxis in service in Bangkok while the demand is only for 35,000."

so the blindingly obvious answer to the problem is.........

A proposed 40% rise in rates ---- nice one.

The last transport minister had bundles of cash in his house. That's a hard act to follow.

Not the Minister.... The permanent Secretary.... get your facts right please...

on top of that, jombom conveniently ignores the fact that the flagfall has been 35 baht for years. The fare is hardly keeping up with inflation.

"He said it is due to the fact that there are currently 70,000 taxis in service in Bangkok while the demand is only for 35,000."

so the blindingly obvious answer to the problem is.........

I'd hesitate to have have licenses for taxi plates - capping the number on the road- like they do in most other places of the world.

What would happen? Wealthy investors would snap up the licensed plates and over time the value will increase, and the number of taxi's relative to demand will decrease. We'll see a situation over time where it will be impossible to get a taxi in Bangkok as conveniently and cheaply as one can now.

The losers? The public via higher prices and less service, and the drivers themselves.

I've sat in enough taxi's to know that for hard working drivers, owning a taxi is a good way for the poorer members of society to build wealth and a proper income stream. I've met more than enough drivers who've scraped and saved for a deposit to by a taxi and it generally provides a good living for them.

Start restricting the number of taxi's on the road, this path to economic independence is shut off, and you'll have even more dead head farmer boys on the road just trying to fill in time between harvest as they will be the only ones who want to work for a pittance of the 'salary' that non-owner drivers get.

Fares haven't kept up with inflation because supply has greatly exceeded demand and service standards and regulation have not improved. In fact standards have probably worsened; safety certainly has.

I am continually amazed at taxi drivers when I am in a Bangkok cab; exceeding the speed limits, dangerous driving, tailgating etc. Do these idiots not care if they have passengers?

When I get a decent one that knows where he's going and drives safely it is a refreshing, although rare experience.

I'd hesitate to have have licenses for taxi plates - capping the number on the road- like they do in most other places of the world.

What would happen?

More likely it would improve safety standards, and reduce congestion on Bangkok's roads.

I think reducing numbers by 50% would not affect being able to get a taxi even at peak times, they are that numerous.

Something will have to be done eventually in this regard, and proper regulation and control is a must for Thailand's transport infrastructure to move into the 21st century.

Fares haven't kept up with inflation because supply has greatly exceeded demand and service standards and regulation have not improved. In fact standards have probably worsened; safety certainly has.

I am continually amazed at taxi drivers when I am in a Bangkok cab; exceeding the speed limits, dangerous driving, tailgating etc. Do these idiots not care if they have passengers?

When I get a decent one that knows where he's going and drives safely it is a refreshing, although rare experience.

Catch 22 then isn't it?

Fare's don't keep up with rising costs, less to invest in maintaining the cars, get more moronic drivers behind the wheel....and the problems you mention.

Raising the fare isn't the magic bullet, but it is one part of the solution.

Maybe you can travel by air-con bus but a lot can't.....not everyone can and does live a short walk from a major road. I'd wager more don't than do...hence my original statement....

Bus routes in Bangkok are very extensive, and tens of thousands of buses service the city, air-con or otherwise.

Given the vast majority of Bangkokians use buses over any other methods of public transport, I'd take that wager.

Statement was for AIR-CON buses. Please don't add others to the list...wager is still on....More people live more than a short walk from a major road that has an air-con bus route than do. Remember that a short walk to the average Thai is only a few steps. Farangs taking 10km hikes don't count.

Bangkok Taxis and Pattaya baht buses are two of the biggest transportation bargains in the WORLD. Try getting a taxi in USA or Europe to drive you several miles for a buck or two? Try getting a bus to haul you from one end of the beach to the other like in Pattaya for the equivalent of 30 cents. Good luck with that.

I only wish that every service I use was as well run,efficient, and affordable as the Bangkok taxis and baht buses.

I agree completely. Taxis in Bangkok are amazing, I love them. Probably the best value for money transportation in the world. The low price and convenience is totally unmatched by anything at home. No normal people at home could afford to take taxis like normal people here do.

Which is one reason raising rates is a tough decision. Taxis aren't aren't a luxury or emergency transportion option like they are at home. They are an integral part of the general transportation system and regular people rely on them

What would happen?

More likely it would improve safety standards, and reduce congestion on Bangkok's roads.

I think reducing numbers by 50% would not affect being able to get a taxi even at peak times, they are that numerous.

Something will have to be done eventually in this regard, and proper regulation and control is a must for Thailand's transport infrastructure to move into the 21st century.

I have problems with regulation -especially where I know it won't be administered properly.

Government's in the west do a cr@p enough job trying to pick the right number of taxi's so generally you are paying too much for a taxi which is hard to find. Even then, try jumping in (example) into many an Australian taxi and standards are poor even in a supposedly 'well regulated' market (eg refuse to take short fares, don't know where they are going, safe driving on the roads given short shift to get somewhere fast so they can get that next fare)

Regulating the number of cabs on the road in BKK will put the licenses into the hands of a few powerful interests, probably politicians, who won't regulate the sector in the interests of the consumer, but in their own interests.

Rather than regulating the number of taxis (a blunt instrument) I'd advocate some sort of basic 'test' which costs a bit of money and acts as a hurdle to any waster trying to get into being a driver, plus higher fares so they can recoup that investment relatively quickly.

I remember a conversation I had a few years ago with a taxi driver who explained to me, that apart from the minority of drivers who own their own taxis, most taxi drivers rent a taxi for about 500 baht a day (8 hour shift) from a central organization and must pay fuel on top. On an average shift he made about 200 baht an hour, (1'600 a shift), he'd lose 500 to the rental + fuel and normally walk away with about 8-700 baht a shift. Which if you think about it. 700 baht for 8 hours of Bangkok traffic is a <deleted>'in nightmare.

800 baht per day isn't bad. That would be about 20,000 baht per month, more than what the average graduate with a degree in engineering or computer science would make starting out

700-800 baht a day is better than a lot of unskilled locals get. 800 Baht a day ain't too bad for sitting on your backside in a taxi, while construction workers have to sweat it out for 300 per day.

On the whole Bangkok taxis are as good or bad as taxis anywhere in the world. If you don't like the taxi you're in best bet is to get out and wait for another to come along in 1 minute.

Not too bad - hmm - Not exactly good though and using the lowest paid as a basis for comparison is hardly a fair test. Bar girls get two, three, fours times that just for 30 minutes on their back.

Bar girls get two, three, fours times that just for 30 minutes on their back.

Every day of the year......I doubt it...

to jonclark: I doubt the taxi driver was exaggerating the 700 to 800 baht he makes per shift ...to do so would hardly be inducive to tipping. He is much more likely to be understating....

I agree completely. Taxis in Bangkok are amazing, I love them. Probably the best value for money transportation in the world. The low price and convenience is totally unmatched by anything at home. No normal people at home could afford to take taxis like normal people here do.

Normal people don't need to take taxis because there are affordable, better value and convenient alternatives. In Singapore the bus service and SMRT are excellent for example.

Bangkok taxis may be cheap but they can be extremely inconvenient especially when a driver is dangerous or doesn't know where he's going.

Racing a Honda on the way to the airport with me and my g/f in the back? What sort of imbecile does this kind of stuff? And it happens way too often for me to start laying plaudits on Bangkok taxis unfortunately.

Normal people don't need to take taxis because there are affordable, better value and convenient alternatives. In Singapore the bus service and SMRT are excellent for example.

Bangkok taxis may be cheap but they can be extremely inconvenient especially when a driver is dangerous or doesn't know where he's going.

Racing a Honda on the way to the airport with me and my g/f in the back? What sort of imbecile does this kind of stuff? And it happens way too often for me to start laying plaudits on Bangkok taxis unfortunately.

There certainly aren't more affordable or better value alternatives for normal people in most US cities. You drive yourself or you pay out the ass. Taxis, bus, and urban rail are all much better here than most places at home. Singapore is great for transportation though and is much better in every category than home as well.

And I've taken taxis hundreds of times in Bangkok and only had a problem once. And I just got out and got in new one right behind it and was only out the 35 baht to turn a new meter on. That simply wouldn't even be possible at home. There wouldn't be a cab behind to get in to in the first place, and I'd lose a lot of money switching cabs. Occasionally a driver here doesn't know the way, but it doesn't matter since there is another right behind that will. Amazing convenience.

Bangkok taxis are very cheap, even compared to poorer neighbouring countries.

What is annoying:

* drivers are the rudest people you can find in Thailand. Not all, but many.

* drivers don't have any clue where to go

* drivers don't take you when not in mood

* drivers take you only for fixed price at certain times/places (RCA at 2am)

* crazy driving.

* when it's heavily raining, no taxis to be found or only fixed price scam.

What is annoying about busses:

* many go off their normal route and nobody tells you.

* many don't stop to pick up passengers when driver is not in mood

* many don't wait to let passengers enter or exit

* there is no correct bus route/time information anywhere. A ridiculous website from BMTA was programmed by a 8 years old child supposedly.

* even the information at bus stops is often wrong or outdated.

Third world standards, but at least in this case we have third world prices.

Edited by GreenSnapper

will not affect the public too much as they have other modes of public transportation they can switch to such as the air-conditioned bus.

I'll believe that when they have air-conditioned buses running down my soi and every other soi in Bangkok...don't politicians ever think before opening their mouths.....

To be fair, there are air-con buses that run on most major roads and routes in Bangkok. I can go anywhere I want in Bangkok on an air-con bus coupled with a short walk.

If I have the choice, I will bus it over taxi mostly every time; I find them generally safer, less hassle, cheaper and sometimes even quicker than taking a taxi.

Buses are fine when you want to spend the extra time in getting to your destination and that destination is truly just a short walk from the bus stop....fine for traveling in the "core" of a city. But if you were going to come visit me in western Bangkok (Khet Talingchan) the nearest bus stop is approx 2 kilometers from the entrance to my moobaan...then from the entrance of my moobaan you would have another 1.5 kilometers to go to reach my house. I don't think most people would consider 3.5 kilometers a short walk in Bangkok.

Plus, many people don't like waiting around for the bus and maybe having to change buses....and also want to be delivered directly to their destination; not a short walk away. Buses have their place and taxis have their place.

Transport Minister Adviser Chinnawat Haboonpard said he does not agree with the taxi fare hike because the decline in taxi drivers' revenue does not stem from the gas price hike.

>He said it is due to the fact that there are currently 70,000 taxis in service in Bangkok while the demand is only for 35,000. <

">He noted that there should be a law to regulate taxis to make sure there is adequate supply in the market.

No S*it Sherlock !!!!!!!!!!ermm.gif

Like many of you, i experience Taxi drivers who does even know the way. Some vehicle are in scrap condition mode and to have the fares increase from 35baht to 50 baht. That is kind of not affordable anymore.

Even so, there are still taxi drivers that does not goes by meter charges but fix pricing.

I haven't read all of this but there are shlt loads of you penny pinchers squealing like stuck pigs. This service has had the same 35 Baht 'Flag Fall' for 11 years that I've lived here. Fuel alone has more than doubled during that period.

Some of you tight &lt;deleted&gt; really need to come to grips with the real world.

I haven't read all of this but there are shlt loads of you penny pinchers squealing like stuck pigs. This service has had the same 35 Baht 'Flag Fall' for 11 years that I've lived here. Fuel alone has more than doubled during that period.

Some of you tight &lt;deleted&gt; really need to come to grips with the real world.

Your comments may be lacking in subtlety and appreciation of the delicate skins of TV members, but for sure they are blindingly accurate, squire!

I've used taxis for many many years and generally have been well satisfied with the service; naturally I have had some occasionally bad experiences but then again so I have in England, America and other countries. And it certainly has been a while since the last increase.

Elwood

No doubt the Bangkok taxi fares can stand a hike. But why would they want to increase the flag charge and not the charge per distance (or both)? Seems that way the drivers would 'lose' on longer drives, considering the fuel price hike.

No doubt the Bangkok taxi fares can stand a hike. But why would they want to increase the flag charge and not the charge per distance (or both)? Seems that way the drivers would 'lose' on longer drives, considering the fuel price hike.

I agree with you. Something like, an extra baht per km (or whatever the fare scale is).