Leonics Ups - Communications Status: Error!

Crushdepth

I just got a Leonics OA Extra UPS today. It comes with a monitoring program called 'Easy-mon', which lets you see the battery status, configure shut down behaviour for your PC etc. The UPS connects to the PC via serial to COM1 or 2.

In the setup utility for Easy-mon you set the com port you have the UPS plugged into. Unfortunately no matter what port I set it on it just reports a communication error. Anyone know how to fix this?

I have the UPS connected to COM 2, and I know the port is working because another totally unrelated program I have can detect the UPS (though it doesn't know what it is) and refuses to use that port as it is occupied.

Thanks.

I have the UPS connected to COM 2, and I know the port is working because another totally unrelated program I have can detect the UPS (though it doesn't know what it is) and refuses to use that port as it is occupied.

Did the UPS come with a comm cable or did you buy one? If you bought one it is possible that the pin configuration is wrong. Does the manual for the UPS indicate the type of comm port it is (DTE or DCE)? If it says DTE then you need a crossover cable (swaps 2 & 3, plus handshake lines if used). If it says DCE then a straight through cable is needed (2-2, 3-3, etc).

Also are there any options to set the baud rate/parity etc.?

Edited by tywais

Thanks. It's a Thai manual, but I'll pick over it tonight and see if I can spot those terms in the specs somewhere.

The Leonics website has English manuals for download here http://www.leonics.com/html/en/download/download_MAN.php one is available for your UPS.

EDIT: Just had a look at the English manual, useful but no help with this problem :o

EDIT 2: The English manual for the EasyMon software (same page) may be more useful :D

Edited by Crossy

Thanks. It's a Thai manual, but I'll pick over it tonight and see if I can spot those terms in the specs somewhere.

The Leonics website has English manuals for download here http://www.leonics.com/html/en/download/download_MAN.php one is available for your UPS.

EDIT: Just had a look at the English manual, useful but no help with this problem :o

EDIT 2: The English manual for the EasyMon software (same page) may be more useful :D

ํYeah I looked at the manuals also and not any help. The key question here still is did the cable come with the UPS? If it did then that is not the problem.

Yes, the cable came in the box.

Dumb question, but, is the cable the same at both ends? i.e. Is it possible to connect it the wrong way round? If so try reversing it.

Try com1:

You might try downloading the latest version of EasyMon from the Leonics site.

Have you tried another machine, it's possible something is taking control of the serial port preventing EasyMon from working.

Also are you sure the port actually WORKS, do you have a serial mouse or something you can plug in to test it?

Edited by Crossy

Ok made some progress. I grabbed the latest Easy-mon (7.2) off the web (thanks), and it has an autodetect UPS button which actually works. So I have established communication with the UPS now.

The next problem - none of the buttons in the Easy-mon X-spy window are clickable. The only thing that works is the Last Event Log, which says 'error, easy-mon x-agent is not completed'.

Any idea what that means?

It can communicate, but the frequency and voltage input boxes are blank.

Edited by Crushdepth