What To Do When You Have Wrongly Been Given A Ticket By The Traffic Police?

mrgreg

The Policeman clearly thought for around 20 minutes about the situation, and perhaps consulted friends,

before he came to the conclusion that it was better to shake hands with me and forget about the whole thing, and what's more, hoping i would forget about the whole thing

I'm very happy for you.....smile.png

So I can safely expect that to happen every time?

I think the real reason for his reluctance to take you to the station may lie with this:

He then said i had to come to police station, to which i agreed,

but not before i had my cup of morning coffee.

While i had my coffee he stopped and said something, can't remember what,

but i walked over to him and asked if he saw the car parked on the no parking zone ?

and then asked his name, his answer was

"my name is f*** you" !

i said lets go station right away, but when we got to the police station he wanted to shake hands and

forget about the whole thing.

He didn't want me to report him to his commanding officer for failing to identify himself &

not doing his duty wrt the wrongly parked car.

a. letting you go for a coffee....<deleted>!!??

b. swearing at you (although that would be your word against his)

As for an illegally parked vehicle....I doubt they would give it a toss, except for the lost opportunity to extort some cash out of yet another motorist.

You pointing these things out likely made him think, 'i've just met the most anally retentive person in the whole Kingdom, i'll cut you loose before you notice my shoes aren't shiny enough.'

One question though, what did he say when you showed him your dash-cam? after all, that is what I was asking?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slip the corrupt cop some money, or go to the station and pay the fine blink.gif

As the OP states: The license has already been handed over to the police.

I suspect the OP wants to handle this differently, rather than bending over and taking one for the team. By doing so he is doing everyone a favor, the police may be less susceptible to 'targeting' westerners if some handled the situation with a little more reluctance when handing over cash...

I keep a paper copy in the car to "hand over"

Photocopies of a Thai drivers license are illegal, and I have a Thai friend you got fined 1,000Baht for handing on to a traffic cop.

Thats funny when I go places they sometimes take a copy of my Thai driving licence ie hiring a car etc

So many heroes on this forum with friends in 'high places'! Every time a nasty man picks on you, you're on the phone to the big guy to help you solve your problem. I reckon I know at least 3 influential people that could help me every time I stub my toe, but I would be embarrassed to ask.

So many heroes on this forum with friends in 'high places'! Every time a nasty man picks on you, you're on the phone to the big guy to help you solve your problem. I reckon I know at least 3 influential people that could help me every time I stub my toe, but I would be embarrassed to ask.

Very true. Most situations can be dealt with easily without outside assistance.

My friend is of sufficient position within the RTP to get me off most things if I required it. The going joke is that we've been very good mates for a long time but I've never used his help*, I joke that if I was in enough trouble to need him, he probably can't help anyway !!!

These traffic issues have always been easy enough to deal with on my own.

The last time I was pulled over a few months ago, with a perfect sense of timing my friend (RTP) called up, while we talked he overheard the officer talking with my wife. My friend asked to speak with the officer so he could get it dealt with quickly, I simply preferred to deal with it myself and said I'd call back if we faced any difficulty. After talking with police officer, asking precisely what he was going to attempt to charge us with and refusing that I had been speeding. My wife and I were waved along after the officer explained that he had simply pulled us over to 'remind us to drive safely' as the road is dangerous !!!...

(* I did use his help once to get my wife (then girlfriend) off a potential DUI - another story - 2 glasses of wine, she didn't want to risk the breathalyser)

The Policeman clearly thought for around 20 minutes about the situation, and perhaps consulted friends,

before he came to the conclusion that it was better to shake hands with me and forget about the whole thing, and what's more, hoping i would forget about the whole thing

I'm very happy for you.....smile.png

So I can safely expect that to happen every time?

I think the real reason for his reluctance to take you to the station may lie with this:

He then said i had to come to police station, to which i agreed,

but not before i had my cup of morning coffee.

While i had my coffee he stopped and said something, can't remember what,

but i walked over to him and asked if he saw the car parked on the no parking zone ?

and then asked his name, his answer was

"my name is f*** you" !

i said lets go station right away, but when we got to the police station he wanted to shake hands and

forget about the whole thing.

He didn't want me to report him to his commanding officer for failing to identify himself &

not doing his duty wrt the wrongly parked car.

a. letting you go for a coffee....<deleted>!!??

b. swearing at you (although that would be your word against his)

As for an illegally parked vehicle....I doubt they would give it a toss, except for the lost opportunity to extort some cash out of yet another motorist.

You pointing these things out likely made him think, 'i've just met the most anally retentive person in the whole Kingdom, i'll cut you loose before you notice my shoes aren't shiny enough.'

One question though, what did he say when you showed him your dash-cam? after all, that is what I was asking?

a: i stopped for my coffee on the way to police station

b: impersonating to be Mr <removed> You

I didnt have a dash cam

As for the question if you can expect it to happen every time, depends on my mood, i guess

Edited by poanoi

Same thing as what I said, which was he let you go for a coffee, only the wording is different.

Maybe i'm missing something, but this doesn't make sense.

As for the question if you can expect it to happen every time, depends on my mood, i guess

Depends on your mood....you must be one hell of a scary guy to have the whole of the Thai Police force quaking in their boots, should you decide to take them to task.

I didnt have a dash cam

Thank you....I'd gathered that. So you can't comment on what I was actually asking, which is: Has anybody had experience of showing a traffic cop dash-cam footage to prove their innocence, and how did it turn out?

Same thing as what I said, which was he let you go for a coffee, only the wording is different.

Maybe i'm missing something, but this doesn't make sense.

I told him to identify himself, he said his name was Mr <removed> You,

I would have had a merry time both with his boss and in the court referring to Mr <removed> You wai.gif

That would be your word against his, it's easily denied, and I can tell you with complete certainty whose word they would take. And if you persisted in calling him Mr <removed> you, I think you'd find yourself in a whole heap of sh_t. It could, and would, be interpreted in a completely different way.

You must really be living in a bubble if you think you'd win.

That would be your word against his, it's easily denied, and I can tell you with complete certainty whose word they would take. And if you persisted in calling him Mr <removed> you, I think you'd find yourself in a whole heap of sh_t. It could, and would, be interpreted in a completely different way.

You must really be living in a bubble if you think you'd win.

It was the Policeman who referred to himself as Mr <removed>-you... I very much doubt that he'd refer to the Police offer in court as Mr <removed> You !!..

But, your opinion that it is his word against the Police is valid, its most likely that he'd be laughed out the station when making a complaint. I can't imagine much more than that occurring.

I very much doubt that he'd refer to the Police offer in court as Mr <removed> You !!..

Yes, sorry, I'm completely aware of that. Maybe I didn't make that clear enough.

I would have had a merry time both with his boss and in the court referring to Mr <removed> You wai.gif

He was talking about calling him that in court. Bad move.

He was talking about calling him that in court. Bad move.

Yes, would be a bad move, but there is no way something like this would make it to court.

You know that, I know that, the world knows that. The only exception is Poanoi, he seems to think that not only will it make it to court, but somehow the police officer involved would lose his job over it. Pie in the sky thinking.

Just yesterday I was stopped on Nang wong wan road for no apparent reason(what's new?) I was in a bad mood and showed my international license, and generally kicked up a fuss and was told to go on my way. I think what made me so indignant was the fact that I'd just seen, about a mile back, the usual baby in mums arms on the bike and 3 students without helmets cr*p.

Doesn't always work as I've found in the past, to my cost...

Why resurrect such a tired old thread?

Sorry, I must get out more.