Indian National Arrested With 3kg Of Ketamine At Suvarnabhumi

webfact

Indian drug suspect arrested with 3kg of ketamine

image_201112201645245ADC763B-B543-6AB7-C39DB4E7A9F7D24D.jpg

SAMUT PRAKAN, Dec 20 – An Indian national has arrested with about three kilogrammes of ketamine at Suvarnabhumi Airport, according to the Customs Department.

Mohamed Iliyas Rawther Mohamed Rabeek, 24, was arrested with some three kilogrammes of ketamine including its package weight, worth about Bt350,000, Customs Department deputy director general Thanat Suwatthanamethakul told a news conference at the customs office at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

The illicit drug was put in a hidden compartment at the bottom of his luggage, covered by instant noodle and snack.

He travelled from India by Thai Airways Iternational TG 314 to Suvarnabhumi Airport.

According to the initial investigation, the suspect said he was a cellphone salesman in Kolkata and his boss asked him to carry the luggage to a friend of his boss in Malaysia. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-12-20

is that used to make Ecstacy ?

Nope. Ketamine is an old-style animal tranquilizer still used in veterinary surgery in many countries. To my knowledge Ketamine is not officially allowed in TH, due to its high abuse potential as a "party drug".

When I was in Phuket I knew a guy who did steroids under his doctor's supervision. No prescription needed at the pharmacy though, he just walked in asked if they had steroids and they brought out a big list and asked what he wanted. When my girlfriend needed some Panadeine after a wisdom tooth extraction though it was "no, that has codeine so is illegal here." I find it funny that what can be bought so easily over the counter in Australia like Panadeine can't be bought there, yet things like valium, xanax and steroids are just given out OTC. Just how the rules work though I guess.

When I was in Phuket I knew a guy who did steroids under his doctor's supervision. No prescription needed at the pharmacy though, he just walked in asked if they had steroids and they brought out a big list and asked what he wanted. When my girlfriend needed some Panadeine after a wisdom tooth extraction though it was "no, that has codeine so is illegal here." I find it funny that what can be bought so easily over the counter in Australia like Panadeine can't be bought there, yet things like valium, xanax and steroids are just given out OTC. Just how the rules work though I guess.

My doctor here supplied me with morphine based painkillers which I took back to oz (luckily in my pocket). Dr. there informs me it would have caused a lot of grief if customs had found them. Be aware!

My doctor here supplied me with morphine based painkillers which I took back to oz (luckily in my pocket). Dr. there informs me it would have caused a lot of grief if customs had found them. Be aware!

Yes there would be grief but only confiscation if no prescription. I packed 2 boxes of Tramadol (opiate) a few weeks back not even thinking about it and that would have been interesting being pulled up.

I am amazed that he managed to smuggle the stuff out of India, it seems like one search after another in their airports

I travelled to India once, and since that day my bag was always pulled out and inspected when it never happened to me before. It seems that the Sniffer Dogs detected something on or in my bag. I got stopped one time at the same airport so often that I knew the inspector by first name and his dog used to wag his tail everytime he saw me. They told me a dog's nose is very sensitive and what must have happened is something illegal rubbed my bag, and this is why the dog tracks me down every time. Got rid of the bag and no problem.

So yes I agree it is amazing he could even get this out of India.