Long Haul Flights - Sleeping

autan

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I made over 20 business trips to Japan and Korea from N. America and flying was my favorite part of the trip. Most flights were 10-14 hours. Since I cannot sleep on flights, I planned out every hour ahead of time, setting off blocks of time for meals, a movie, light reading (magazines), heavy reading (serious novel), stretching exercises at the back of the cabin, toiletry duties in the lav. (shaving, brushing teeth, etc.), and an hour or two of business work on my laptop. Sometimes wrote long emails to friends and family to send off once I landed. Sometimes updated my personal journal.

I agree with this for part of the journey. Like you, my flights are from the states, so usually either 12-13h to NRT or 15h to HKG.

I start adjusting my sleeping and waking hours a couple days before leaving. On the day before the flight, I've adjusted to sleep in a little bit, and then pull an all-nighter before heading out to the airport. By the time the flight gets to altitude, I'm ready to sleep.

Your body has a hard time getting ready for sleep if you haven't started adjusting. It's no different with people who work rotating shifts. Very hard to sleep immediately during the day when coming off graveyard shift. The body clock needs time to adjust.

Granted when trying to sleep in cattle class it's usually just a few hours at a time, but I try to get as much as I can on the first leg. Then on the second leg, I force myself to stay awake. When I arrive at Bkk, it's early evening or late at night, and after a short time out to eat and throw back a few brew-ski's, I'm ready for sleep and wake up fresh the next day.

I would urge everybody, especially the older people, to be aware of the possibility of DVT (deep vein thrombosis). Lying in one, cramped, position for length periods of time at altitude can be very dangerous to the health.

My wife and I fly business class, and on special occasions (depending on the fares on offer) in first class. However, I make a point of getting as much exercise as possible before getting on the plane, we walk everywhere in the airport, avoid the moving walkways, and I also get up and walk up and down the aisle as often as I can during the flight. Not too much alcohol, plenty of water, and no sleeping pills for me, thanks.

My best friend contracted DVT a couple of years ago, and nearly died.

I keep reminding myself that for most of human history, this journey would have taken months if not years and no guarantee of survival. Looked at that way, 10-15 hours in a semi comfortable seat aint so bad.

That is my mind set also. The 13.5 hour flight from LAX to Taipei is tough. But I decide in advance that I will get to watch 2 movies that probably would not see otherwise, enjoy my two free meals at a slow pace, try to be content with 4 hours of nap time somewhere. Put in one hour for reading and maybe another short nap and then two walking around to stretch the legs and things aren't too bad. But having traveled 13 times to Thailand now, I am definitely going to stay longer each trip.

My last two flights I went EVA Business/Elite class and that was much more comfortable than coach. While I can fit in the coach seats, the people around me never seem to know any boundaries and put their elbowas and shoulders over my space!

I cant afford to fly business class yet but I am working on that.

Is it true to actually get a glass instead of a plastic beaker to drink from ?

Is it true that you get a lie flat bed instead of doing an impression of a demented merekat ?

Is it really true that once you fly business you can never bring yourself to fly economy again.

Please tell. Pray tell.

If only so I can dream about flying international business class one day.

You could fly Biman. It's cheap and won't spoil you off of flying economy in the future.

EVA business Elite class is pretty good. Nice big seats that are much better than coach

Being self employed and not sponsored by OPM (other people's money), I did the math and happily put up with the cheap seats in lieu of business on 106 of my 110 trans-Pacific flights.

Somehow, paying $50-$200 per hour for a more comfy seat doesn't seem like a good use of my funds.

That's just me- I'm cheap. But I do think anyone recommending business or first class and poo-pooing the "cheap seats in with the huddled masses" should be required to disclose who actually pays for their seats- whether that be the company that sponsors their business class flights, or the company that pays for the umpteen domestic flights that get them upgraded to business. Or, as some have indicated here, out of their own pockets by their own choice. It makes a BIG difference.

Edited by impulse

Being self employed and not sponsored by OPM (other people's money), I did the math and happily put up with the cheap seats in lieu of business on 106 of my 110 trans-Pacific flights.

Somehow, paying $50-$200 per hour for a more comfy seat doesn't seem like a good use of my funds.

That's just me- I'm cheap. But I do think anyone recommending business or first class and poo-pooing the "cheap seats in with the huddled masses" should be required to disclose who actually pays for their seats- whether that be the company that sponsors their business class flights, or the company that pays for the umpteen domestic flights that get them upgraded to business. Or, as some have indicated here, out of their own pockets by their own choice. It makes a BIG difference.

+1

Mostly my own pocket or airmiles.

To CraigT

Have you ever tried the Korean Air flights - non stop from Seoul to LAS. Understand there is a twelve hour or so layover on one direction but they offer a free sightseeing trip around the city to entertain you. And from what I have seen, the price is right!

To CraigT

Have you ever tried the Korean Air flights - non stop from Seoul to LAS. Understand there is a twelve hour or so layover on one direction but they offer a free sightseeing trip around the city to entertain you. And from what I have seen, the price is right!

Yes, have done them several times. The layover is tough! We end up renting a room at the airport. After calculating in that cost, along with food, it's not really cheaper than the other flights.sad.png

To CraigT

last thing I want is a 12 hour tour on the way to my destination

I am flying from the UK in March, any suggestions as to the best sites \ airlines for business class flights.

I have flown business class a couple of times (My own money) and it makes the trip so much better but the prices can differ by as much as £2000 or more between airlines and sites?

Please read this.

I have been sleeping on long haul flights my whole life.

4 Months ago it nearly killed me.

Got DVT in my calf and it broke off and made it's way to my lungs resulting in a pulmonary embolism. When I got to hospital I was close to death. Luckily I had good doctors and after 3 months of injecting myslef in the stomach with blood thinners I made a complete recovery, very very lucky.

I was wearing flight socks but my main problem was lack of movement on the flight and possibly dehydration. I am an active guy who works out regularly and an normally healthy. The doctors told me that you Must get up and walk every 2 hours at least, just doing leg exercises is not good enough. Drink lots of water and don't drink alcohol.

I know it is a ball ache, especially for me as I travel very long journeys and very frequently, but don't dismiss this advice please.

I almost widowed my wife by sleeping long haul. Do yourselves a favour and please don't do it, it isn't worth your life.

We'll get all the sleep we need when we die!

Please read this.

I have been sleeping on long haul flights my whole life.

4 Months ago it nearly killed me.

Got DVT in my calf and it broke off and made it's way to my lungs resulting in a pulmonary embolism. When I got to hospital I was close to death. Luckily I had good doctors and after 3 months of injecting myslef in the stomach with blood thinners I made a complete recovery, very very lucky.

I was wearing flight socks but my main problem was lack of movement on the flight and possibly dehydration. I am an active guy who works out regularly and an normally healthy. The doctors told me that you Must get up and walk every 2 hours at least, just doing leg exercises is not good enough. Drink lots of water and don't drink alcohol.

I know it is a ball ache, especially for me as I travel very long journeys and very frequently, but don't dismiss this advice please.

I almost widowed my wife by sleeping long haul. Do yourselves a favour and please don't do it, it isn't worth your life.

We'll get all the sleep we need when we die!

Wow, I read about it, but never heard about it from an victim! I do get up every few hours as I can't ever sleep right! My flights are over 8,000 miles, one way! Thanks for the wake up call!

Wow, I read about it, but never heard about it from an victim! I do get up every few hours as I can't ever sleep right! My flights are over 8,000 miles, one way! Thanks for the wake up call!

No problem mate, if my internet rambling saves 1 person it will be worth it, like you I never met someone it happened to, but when you get it and start looking into it you find that it is more common than most people think. Edited by TexasRanger

A business class lie flat seat, eye patch, ear plugs and a blanket

then settle down and sleep the flight away.

I would be wary of using sleeping pills, in case there is an emergency

and you are too zonked to save yourself.

Sorry but thats absolute rubbish !! Too zonked out to save yourself !! Do you think you're seriously going to be fast asleep when everyone is screaming their lungs out in terror and you ask the flight attendant to wake you in 5 more minutes......

Edited by Chivas

Sorry but thats absolute rubbish !! Too zonked out to save yourself !! Do you think you're seriously going to be fast asleep when everyone is screaming their lungs out in terror and you ask the flight attendant to wake you in 5 more minutes......

I don't think it is a stretch... The QF/BA Flight from Sydney to BKK arrives at 11am TH time, 1am Syd time... the return flights leave at 5pm Th time and arrive at 6am Syd time... I know that when I arrive in BKK I will want to get in a few hours of partying, and often I go straight from the return flight to the office... so trying to get some sleep on the flight is important...

I usually take Doxylamine Succinate, 25mg x 2. One return flight I took 25mg x 3, as the 50mg didn't seem to do the trick properly on the same flight the fortnight before (both times straight to the office, so I needed some rest).

When the flight landed in Sydney, I could not rowse myself properly. I had to be worken many times when the plane was disembarking, I need to sit down on the walk to the baggage claim, I passed out in Taxi from the airport to the office, I was vague for most of the day.

It isn't much of a stretch to imagine that I would have struggled if I needed to be 100% for an emergency soon after taking the drugs, rather than hours later.

I now only take 50mg, and if that means I don't get 100% of the sleep I was seeking, so be it...

Cheers,

Daewoo

Edited by Daewoo

I don't think it is a stretch... The QF/BA Flight from Sydney to BKK arrives at 11am TH time, 1am Syd time... the return flights leave at 5pm Th time and arrive at 6am Syd time... I know that when I arrive in BKK I will want to get in a few hours of partying, and often I go straight from the return flight to the office... so trying to get some sleep on the flight is important...

I usually take Doxylamine Succinate, 25mg x 2. One return flight I took 25mg x 3, as the 50mg didn't seem to do the trick properly on the same flight the fortnight before (both times straight to the office, so I needed some rest).

When the flight landed in Sydney, I could not rowse myself properly. I had to be worken many times when the plane was disembarking, I need to sit down on the walk to the baggage claim, I passed out in Taxi from the airport to the office, I was vague for most of the day.

It isn't much of a stretch to imagine that I would have struggled if I needed to be 100% for an emergency soon after taking the drugs, rather than hours later.

I now only take 50mg, and if that means I don't get 100% of the sleep I was seeking, so be it...

Cheers,

Daewoo

I accept what you state but I find it hard to believe.....

I can take 40 Mg of Valium or Temazapan and be awake in seconds despite 4 times the reco dosage..

I would urge everybody, especially the older people, to be aware of the possibility of DVT (deep vein thrombosis). Lying in one, cramped, position for length periods of time at altitude can be very dangerous to the health.

My wife and I fly business class, and on special occasions (depending on the fares on offer) in first class. However, I make a point of getting as much exercise as possible before getting on the plane, we walk everywhere in the airport, avoid the moving walkways, and I also get up and walk up and down the aisle as often as I can during the flight. Not too much alcohol, plenty of water, and no sleeping pills for me, thanks.

My best friend contracted DVT a couple of years ago, and nearly died.

Excellent advise. I just read this:

http://www.pollstar.com/blogs/news/archive/2011/12/27/792510.aspx

Heavy D reportedly died from a pulmonary embolism – blockage in one or more arteries in the lungs – caused by deep leg vein thrombosis.

Pay for a lie flat bed seat. After dinner one can doze off into a restful slumber and awake to a smiling CX, BR or SIN FA. On the other hand, if one likes discomfort take an EU or North American carrier, get a squashed seat and wake up to Matilda the scowling FA klomping about.

Actually, I had a flight on United over to America not long ago in their new business class. I found it quite comfy, with totally lay flat seats and a very nice 15" display IFE system that even had USB jacks that provided an iPhone interface. The flight attendants were not young models, but they were responsive and professional. I didn't have any complaints.

If you fly BR (EVA), be aware that their Elite class has old style business class that does not have lay flat seats.

As for CX, their business class is often referred to as "coffin class". Check out the photos of what it looks like. Seats are inside sort of a narrow walled cubicle and very claustrophobic, and you cannot even open a newspaper all the way without bumping your elbows on the walls. Want to have a look out the window? No way. Travelling with someone and want to talk over dinner? Impossible, as the seats are angled and the cubicle walls prevent that. What were Cathay thinking?? This has been sort of a disaster for CX and it must have cost them a fortune, as they are in the process of replacing this relatively new business class with redesigned seats and space, which by the way look very nice. Unfortunately, they have very few of these flying so far.

For me, Singapore is as always amongst the best and they would be my choice, although I did have the chance to fly the Emirates A380 business class recently, which was excellent. The only problem is that if you end up on an Emirates 777, business class is 1990s style with Jurassic seating. And I still can't get excited about the fake plastic wood trim they put around the windows.

If you fly BR (EVA), be aware that their Elite class has old style business class that does not have lay flat seats.

Elite class is premium economy and is sold as such. Their business class is called Premium Laurel and have sloping flat seats. They're not the best, but are the best vslue for money.

This is actually very important information. If you do happen to have taken a "sleeping pill" of one of other description and there is an emergency, you can really do without the "cant be arsed to move attitude" we seem to adopt while paddling somewhere in the Indian Ocean.

I cant afford to fly business class yet but I am working on that.

Is it true to actually get a glass instead of a plastic beaker to drink from ?

Is it true that you get a lie flat bed instead of doing an impression of a demented merekat ?

Is it really true that once you fly business you can never bring yourself to fly economy again.

Please tell. Pray tell.

If only so I can dream about flying international business class one day.

You could fly Biman. It's cheap and won't spoil you off of flying economy in the future.

Yes thanks already flown Biman Bangledesh Airways and no wont be flying with them again thank you very much.

London Heathrow to Hong Kong via Dhaka, no inflight movie, Fish finger masala if you could call it that seriously al-dentai rice, unbearable.

Hong Kong > Dhaka > Dubai > Cairo > Rome > Paris > Heathrow.

29 hours in total. No inflight movie, it was a miracle I didnt throw myself from the plane.

This is actually very important information. If you do happen to have taken a "sleeping pill" of one of other description and there is an emergency, you can really do without the "cant be arsed to move attitude" we seem to adopt while paddling somewhere in the Indian Ocean.

Mid flight, not too many emergencies you need to be awake for. Thousands of feet up...travelling at 1000 km/hour.... I don't think there will be much of a safe sea landing happening. Better to sleep through it all IMO.

I flew with Emirates on the new A380 on my return leg, froM BKK > DXB > MAN

3 toilets for 600+ passengers. Never again.

I don't mean to be debating you, as you were actually on the flight and I wasn't, but this seat map shows nine lavatories in Emirate's A380 economy:

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Emirates_Airlines/Emirates_Airlines_Airbus_A380.php

Elite class is premium economy and is sold as such. Their business class is called Premium Laurel and have sloping flat seats. They're not the best, but are the best vslue for money.

Sorry, that's what I meant regarding their old style business class seats (Premium). Best value for money might be a judgement call on those seats, depending on the cost differential, based on the reviews at Skytrax:

http://www.flatseats.com/Reviews/eva.htm

As for CX, their business class is often referred to as "coffin class". Check out the photos of what it looks like. Seats are inside sort of a narrow walled cubicle and very claustrophobic, and you cannot even open a newspaper all the way without bumping your elbows on the walls. Want to have a look out the window? No way. Travelling with someone and want to talk over dinner? Impossible, as the seats are angled and the cubicle walls prevent that. What were Cathay thinking?? This has been sort of a disaster for CX and it must have cost them a fortune, as they are in the process of replacing this relatively new business class with redesigned seats and space, which by the way look very nice. Unfortunately, they have very few of these flying so far.

I flew with them LHR-HKG return and thought immediately that the "coffin" seats were designed to make things easier for the FA's rather than the passengers. Horrible.

Not a patch on the return flight though in clamshell seating for 13 hours. I will never fly Cathay again.