Long Haul Flights - Sleeping

autan

I would urge everybody, especially the older people, to be aware of the possibility of DVT (deep vein thrombosis). Lying in one, cramped, position for length periods of time at altitude can be very dangerous to the health.

My wife and I fly business class, and on special occasions (depending on the fares on offer) in first class. However, I make a point of getting as much exercise as possible before getting on the plane, we walk everywhere in the airport, avoid the moving walkways, and I also get up and walk up and down the aisle as often as I can during the flight. Not too much alcohol, plenty of water, and no sleeping pills for me, thanks.

My best friend contracted DVT a couple of years ago, and nearly died.

Excellent advise. I just read this:

http://www.pollstar..../27/792510.aspx

Heavy D reportedly died from a pulmonary embolism – blockage in one or more arteries in the lungs – caused by deep leg vein thrombosis.

Very True... I just had a DVT which lead to a Pulmonary Embolism (37 years old and fit). It was not related to flying, rather I suspect it was related to sitting in office chairs too long....

For flights: Wear Flight socks, move frequently, drink plenty, take Asprin for a few days before long haul flights. DVT and PE can hit anyone at any time. I was very lucky. Pulmonary Embolism kills 1/3 of people within 90 seconds and is the leading cause of complications leading death in the USA.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you fly BR (EVA), be aware that their Elite class has old style business class that does not have lay flat seats.

Elite class is premium economy and is sold as such. Their business class is called Premium Laurel and have sloping flat seats. They're not the best, but are the best vslue for money.

Sorry, that's what I meant regarding their old style business class seats (Premium). Best value for money might be a judgement call on those seats, depending on the cost differential, based on the reviews at Skytrax:

http://www.flatseats...Reviews/eva.htm

As someone that doesnt fit in economy and can barely afford business, premium economy is a godsend.. The only other options flying direct LHR-BKK are BA and Qantas who are massively more expensive as they seem to be targeting the hard up business crowd rather than the economy passenger who wants something better. I fly in that seat on the daytime return leg. I would dread to fly it over night.

I flew with Emirates on the new A380 on my return leg, froM BKK > DXB > MAN

3 toilets for 600+ passengers. Never again.

And the biggest joke is the new "no congregating in front of the lav's" rule. IF YOU NEVER GET UP YOU NEVER GET TO GO!!!

IMHO paying 1200 - 1600 or more Euros over the price of a cattle class ticket for biz is not a good use of funds if one is paying her/himself. It's a very good use of miles though.

Unfortunately, when you are a member of the so-called Star Alliance and you need to use an airline other than the one where you are collecting your hard earned miles because they don't fly that routing, they are making it harder & harder to earn miles on fares to Asia that are still reasonable. They also switch fare class eligibility at will without considering those who already purchased a ticket based on the previously published information. I'm now stuck with a 0% mileage ticket on Turkish Airlines due to this post-4641-1156693976.gif .

Edited by mrdome

I cant afford to fly business class yet but I am working on that.

Is it true to actually get a glass instead of a plastic beaker to drink from ?

Is it true that you get a lie flat bed instead of doing an impression of a demented merekat ?

There is *A LOT* of difference between the business classes in various airliens, and often also between specific routes and even specific aircraft types for a given route. Some long haul business class on some airlines is lie-flat, adn this seems on the increase.

Anything else matters less to me; sure there is nicer food, more choice in wines and all that. But unless you pick a horrible airliene, such as an American or European one, the level of service you get from the FA's and the food and drinks including free flowing alcohol are just fine.

Is it really true that once you fly business you can never bring yourself to fly economy again.

Not really. Also I have had really good eco flights, with 4 seats to yourself so you pretty much get that same lie-flat experience.

On sleeping, alcohol and Xanax does wonders. I've tried Ambien/Stilnoct but I"m not convinced it agrees with me. Xanax relaxes you and makes it easier to fall asleep, but won't zonk you out; if you need to wake up you wake up. And it might help you not to panic, so I think a milligram or so of Xanax is a good thing. You need to get it on prescription in Thailand. That means going to a hospital, mental hospital or mental/sleeping clinic and stating that you are scared of flying and need something to relax. And then some clinics there's no need to say anything, just state the number of packs you want to purchase. wink.gif

Alcohol and xanax ???

Two of the most addictive drugs around and very dangerous to mix them. Not good advice on a public forum.

I have used them and agree good for knocking you out. I also used class A drugs don't advise it.

If you're going to go to a clinic and lie, you may as well ask for dormicon, mix it with trazedone.!!!!!!! sad.png

If you really can't sleep try a tab or two of valerian - can buy in Tesco.

• 1 month later...

Wouldn't dream of forking out for biz class seats myself but the company I work for provide them.

Re. Original recommendation of couple of drinks + 1 Xanax - no problems with unplanned toileting happening and would add that the combination makes an economy seat as comfy as a biz class one ... ;)

MUST ADD - do NOT under any circumstances take the Xanax pill before sitting down in your seat if you've had the couple of drinks - alcohol + Xanax then attempting to stay awake and do anything is very ill-advised - disorientation, confusion, etc....

I take XIEMED (Alprazolam) 1.0mg Bkk to Brisbane. Usually take it just before boarding and by the time the meal is over i just fall alseep and wake up for landing, no problems. I get the tabs over the counter on Samui.

Bht120 for 6.

i am booked on a gulf air Business Claas in Feb, I have never flown with GA before but took the option as Thai is so expensive now.

any comments on GA??

The food is most excellent on Gulf Air, I flew them to Saudi via Oman a few years ago..

At the time the planes were quite old and in seat entertainment didn't work, but they made up for it with regular champagne runs. The seats were not the fancy motorised ones you have in the newer aircraft but were adequately comfortable.

I would fly Gulf Air again as their fares are quite reasonable.

Just to get back on topic.... I can never sleep regardless of class of travel or use of Xanax!

I take XIEMED (Alprazolam) 1.0mg Bkk to Brisbane. Usually take it just before boarding and by the time the meal is over i just fall alseep and wake up for landing, no problems. I get the tabs over the counter on Samui. Bht120 for 6.

Yes.. That's Xanax and I get mine from the pharmacy in Foodland.

Always enjoy my flights and have never taking any pills or anything in advance ....only booze.

One negative flight I do remember however was on a Qantas back in 1970 when I got deported from Australia (legally but another story) and the flight was an old 707 that stopped every bleeding where....Manila-Hong Kong-Delhi-Bombay...or was it Calcutter ?-Tehran-Athens -Rome-Amsterdam and then finally Heathrow.....and you had to get off at every stop.

No films /music/newspapers/ents etc and you had to pay for your drinks ...conversation was also nil........arggg...

Arrived knackered and then there was no underground to/from the Airport ...bus jobbi to Hounslow.I worked out the flight had taken 36 hours.....never again.

Now I look at it that London to Bangers is only around 12 hours straight and if with Etti (next one ) about 16 ...so no sweat.

Easy run out to the Row on the Piccadilly line,check in and diss.. into the Lounge for a few wet ones...nice.... then maybe a pint in the pub before the flight.

Buy lots of newspapers ,have a kindle /headphones and its G & T it all the way via Abu Dhabi..with...ditto r/t but via Royal O Lounge...again all sanuk.

Noticed in the last couple of years am getting a couple of hours sleep ....but dont know whyyy...might be age or sumit?

Life is too short ..etc..roll on March..

Always enjoy my flights and have never taking any pills or anything in advance ....only booze.

One negative flight I do remember however was on a Qantas back in 1970 when I got deported from Australia (legally but another story) and the flight was an old 707 that stopped every bleeding where....Manila-Hong Kong-Delhi-Bombay...or was it Calcutter ?-Tehran-Athens -Rome-Amsterdam and then finally Heathrow.....and you had to get off at every stop.

No films /music/newspapers/ents etc and you had to pay for your drinks ...conversation was also nil........arggg...

Arrived knackered and then there was no underground to/from the Airport ...bus jobbi to Hounslow.I worked out the flight had taken 36 hours.....never again.

Now I look at it that London to Bangers is only around 12 hours straight and if with Etti (next one ) about 16 ...so no sweat.

Easy run out to the Row on the Piccadilly line,check in and diss.. into the Lounge for a few wet ones...nice.... then maybe a pint in the pub before the flight.

Buy lots of newspapers ,have a kindle /headphones and its G & T it all the way via Abu Dhabi..with...ditto r/t but via Royal O Lounge...again all sanuk.

Noticed in the last couple of years am getting a couple of hours sleep ....but dont know whyyy...might be age or sumit?

need one of the forum cryptographers to help out with this one.

foam earplugs , eye shades or a beanie cap pulled over my eyes , an extra pillow or 2 and not sleeping the night before the morning flight.....

a couple of asprin as I had a small blood clot once and lost the lower half of my eyesight in one eye on the Los Angeles - Japan leg of my flight.....pretty scary....

BK

One of my best pals died from DVT after a flight from Florida to Glasgow, he was 37.

Smokie36 mentioned earlier about exercise, that is by far and away the best way to get a sleep without drugging yourself.

I often look at comatose passengers lying in a heap, obviously dehydrated and motionless for hours upon hours at a time. Doing exactly the opposite of what you are supposed to do.

Mental.

need one of the forum cryptographers to help out with this one.

Dont worry about it..... just keep taking the tablets...Jesu....