How To Get English Versions Of Programs?

dddave

I recently had to replace my hard drive and was unable to back-up all my programs. Now, when I download programs, most recently VLC Media Player, I get the Thai language version even though I check "English" when selecting the download. This has also happened with other programs.

This computer was purchased and set up in the US, then brought here. I never had this problem until changing the HD which of course also meant a Win-7 re-install.(My manufacturers original re-install discs were used.)

How do I set my computer so I get English versions. I went into "LANGUAGE PREFERENCES" AND "REGIONAL SETTINGS" and set them to English and USA respectively but no joy, I still get VLC in Thai.

What do I do?

Open VLC.

Go to "Tools" (5th item from the left on the Toolbar)

Click "Preferences" - (last item on the dropdown List).

You will be shown a Box, the top item on this is "Interface Settings", and on that page there is a dropdown Menu at the top, click the "Down" Arrow and select the language you want. Click "Save" - the 2nd clickable Box, from the right, at the bottom of the Box.

That should make all the menus in the language you select.

Patrick

Edited by p_brownstone

Is the old drive totally unreadable at all? Have you still got the drive? The reason I ask is if you can set the drive as a slave, boot up the computer and use 'Recuva' to see if that can recover any files off the drive.

Recuva (google it) is free, very simple to use and could save a lot of progs off you drive unless the drive is totally sh*gged. And because it is free it costs nothing but a bit of your time.

Open VLC.

Go to "Tools" (5th item from the left on the Toolbar)

Click "Preferences" - (last item on the dropdown List).

You will be shown a Box, the top item on this is "Interface Settings", and on that page there is a dropdown Menu at the top, click the "Down" Arrow and select the language you want. Click "Save" - the 2nd clickable Box, from the right, at the bottom of the Box.

That should make all the menus in the language you select.

Thanks for the step by step; worked perfectly.

Patrick

Is the old drive totally unreadable at all? Have you still got the drive? The reason I ask is if you can set the drive as a slave, boot up the computer and use 'Recuva' to see if that can recover any files off the drive.

Recuva (google it) is free, very simple to use and could save a lot of progs off you drive unless the drive is totally sh*gged. And because it is free it costs nothing but a bit of your time.

The drive replacement was done under warranty by Acer and they kept the old drive. They did give me an opportunity to back the entire drive up but I did not have the time to do it.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.