Magic Jack Plus

BangkokImages

Pib, what's your source for the supposed dual voltage power plug for the MJ+???

The MJ website doesn't say it's dual voltage (of course that doesn't mean it isn't). But it also seems that the device BangkokImages received isn't dual voltage and only 110.

Although getting an adapter to convert our 220v power to use with a 110v only device isn't hard or expensive to arrange, especially for a low power use, it would be nice for potential MJ+ users here in LOS if they didn't have to mess with that.

Maybe if you're talking with MJ directly again, you could query them on that point directly as regards the MJ+.

BTW, when I signed up for my MJ services some years back, I was able to pick the same area code as my relatives in the U.S., and as best as I recall, was also able to pick a 3 digit prefix on the number that I was sure would be a local call for my relatives to my MJ number. So now, not only can I call them unlimited time for only my annual MJ subscription, but they're also able to call me anytime from their phones in the U.S. and it's only a local call with no added charge to them.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't appear to me that there is any 'linkage' between the netTALK DUO HW and service, and their "free" smartphone app.?

Well, it seems you're right, Loma, regarding NetTalk and its Android app. I had assumed the app was tied into their NetTalk Duo device and service, but that appears NOT to be the case.

Rather, the NetTalk app appears to be a standalone Android app, a free one, that supposedly allows free calls to U.S. numbers -- without having to purchase their NetTalk Duo device or anything else.

If you read the Android Market reviews of it, a lot of users say it works great for their calls via Wifi... But also, a lot of users say the call quality is poor or that it doesn't work at all for them.

Unfortunately, I appear to be in the latter category. I downloaded the app tonight to my Android phone, went to their mobile website to create an account with a user name and password, confirmed the account, and then tried a series of calls to U.S. numbers using my Android phone and my house Wifi. Every call I tried, I got a recording saying the number you're calling is not available...

Here's part of the info the app developer posted on the Android Market site re their app:

// PLEASE NOTE

- Must be on Wi-Fi/3G

- Must create a netTALK account to use this app

- You will not receive phone number-outgoing calls only

- Free calls limited to 30 min talk time per call

- International data roaming charges may apply

- Operator data charges may apply.

- Dialing 911 on the application will not work

Since I was trying my calls just moments after confirming/activating account, maybe there's some lag time involved for their system to recognize a new account. So I'll try some more calls with it again in the morning and see if anything results.

I ordered two MJ+ units in LA around NOV-2011. Both units were shipped to my LA house and both came with dual voltage adapters. I don't know how you got a 110V adapter.

I ordered two MJ+ units in LA around NOV-2011. Both units were shipped to my LA house and both came with dual voltage adapters. I don't know how you got a 110V adapter.

Me either, yet it's clearly marked 110vac. Manufacturers often source parts from different suppliers so it wouldn't surprise me if one supplier supplied 110vac, and another 100-240vac. But I don't know..

Look, this is a 20 baht adapter avaialble at most any electronic store in Thailand. It shouldn't be an issue or even a serious consideration. If you open the package and it's 110vac, go buy a local adapter. This shouldn't affect your purchase decision.

Trying to second guess "why" about such things is a waste of time imo. To me, it's not even worth spending the time to call MJ, looking it up on google, or even reading the spec sheet.. Either way, you can't do anything about it. You'll either need to get a local adapter, or you won't. You'll know when you open the package and hold it in your hand. It would be different if they gave you a choice of adapters, but they don't.

The MJ website doesn't say it's dual voltage (of course that doesn't mean it isn't). But it also seems that the device BangkokImages received isn't dual voltage and only 110.

Although getting an adapter to convert our 220v power to use with a 110v only device isn't hard or expensive to arrange, especially for a low power use, it would be nice for potential MJ+ users here in LOS if they didn't have to mess with that.

To me the MJ website is just saying the power adapter "prongs" are designed for U.S. sockets and may not fit in some overseas sockets like those sockets which are round only, recessed, etc. It sure beats around the bush in answering question instead of also flat out saying the adpater will work from 100V-240V, 50-60Hz and then also noting the prong issue.

I also don't some Googling along the lines of Does the MagicJack Adapter Work With 220V and several links pulled up on the first and seconds pages saying stuff along the lines of:

IMPORTANT FAQ:

1. Will magicJack PLUS work in countries with 220V?

Yes, but we only provide a USB power adapter that fits North American power outlets.

If you are planning on using the magicJack PLUS outside of North America, you can either use a USB power adapter that you already own or purchase one at an electronics store near you. (This is the reason why the adaptor is not included with the warranty)

My Experience: The bigger adaptor in the mailers type of package (picture 4) works well in the Philippines

Does the power adaptor on the MJ+ use 220V as well as 115V?

YES.

Plus I found others I can't find right now...one post looked like he quoted the specs right off the adapater along the lines of "100-240VAC, 50-60Hz." Maybe MJ has upgraded the adapter they provide or maybe provide different adapters for different parts of the world since they are sold overseas such as the Philippines which is 220V, 60Hz. I would definitely want to get a adpater which is rated for 100-240V, 50-60Hz, however, but if a 120V,60Hz showed up in the box I would just go spend a 50-100 baht to get one rated for worldwide use.

Edited by Pib

Thanks for chiming in with another direct experience result on this point... It's interesting to see that those were orders sent to the USA (not foreign distributors) and they still came with the dual voltage adapter... Good if MJ is doing that as their general practice (I hope...)

I also don't think it's a big deal or a major part of the purchasing decision. But I do like to know what I'm buying..thanks very much... And since I already have four or five different 220/110 adapters in use at home, I could happily do without having to add another.

-----------------------------

Meanwhile, regarding the NetTalk Android app discussed above, I tried it again this morning on my Sony Gingerbread OS phone and absolutely no luck. Every U.S. number I called produced the same recording talking about "number you're calling is currently unavailable." Same result last night when I added the app to my wife's Samsung Galaxy S2.

I even have a PPTP VPN service that I can use on my Android phone... So I made that connection, and then tried the NetTalk app again on my Android phone... and still no joy... Checked the app settings within the app, and nothing much there to fiddle with... I'm at a loss on this... Obviously some people (in the US) are reporting being able to use it just fine...

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I was thinking of switching from vonage to Magic box after I saw their new device. How does it compare with Vonage for quality? I have no issues with vonage at all and feel like I have a normal phone back in the states, I have used vonage for years now but like everyone else I love to save money and I am using the vonage less then before so it is $34 I could spend else where. Has anyone compared he 2 here in Thailand?

I was thinking of switching from vonage to Magic box after I saw their new device. How does it compare with Vonage for quality? I have no issues with vonage at all and feel like I have a normal phone back in the states, I have used vonage for years now but like everyone else I love to save money and I am using the vonage less then before so it is $34 I could spend else where. Has anyone compared he 2 here in Thailand?

I'm assuming you must be on the Vonage US/Canada Unlimited Plan which probably comes to around $34/month with all the taxes/fees added on; if staying with Vonage you might want to consider switching to their US/Canada 300 Minute Plan (300 outbound minutes but unlimited inbound minutes) for around $17 with all taxes/fees.

I'm assuming you must be on the Vonage US/Canada Unlimited Plan which probably comes to around $34/month with all the taxes/fees added on; if staying with Vonage you might want to consider switching to their US/Canada 300 Minute Plan (300 outbound minutes but unlimited inbound minutes) for around $17 with all taxes/fees.

yes but now they call it unlimited world or something. free calls to several countries, but calls made to Asia are very bad quality, long delay. calls to the UK are fine, I guess the calls must travel all the way to the USA and back and for calling within asia it crates lots of lag, but great for calling the USA and UK

yes but now they call it unlimited world or something. free calls to several countries, but calls made to Asia are very bad quality, long delay. calls to the UK are fine, I guess the calls must travel all the way to the USA and back and for calling within asia it crates lots of lag, but great for calling the USA and UK

http://www.vonage.com/us-canada-calling-plans/us-canada-300/?refer_id=WEBSR0706010001W1&lid=sub_nav_domestic_300

Geno, it depends on where you mostly want to be calling to...

Magic Jack has unlimited free calls to the U.S. and Canada, along with giving you your own regular U.S. phone number in an area code of your choosing -- all for $30 a YEAR.

If you want to call to other countries beyond the U.S. and Canada, their USB device and your phone attached to it will do that.... But for all the other countries, it's kind of like Skype in that you buy $ credit for international calls and then they deduct that off your balance based on their various per minute charges to other countries called. They have a rate chart on the Magic Jack web site of exactly what their per minute charges are to all the other countries.

If it's just a matter of making calls from the U.S. to Thailand, I'd say the MJ service wins hand down over Vonage if for no other reason than the significant pricing difference. The $30 some a month Vonage plan mentioned above is the cost of a YEAR of MagicJack service. The lesser priced Vonage plan for two months is the price of a year of MagicJack service.

Everybody uses their phones in different ways, for different kinds of calls and with different priorities... It's a matter of fitting the service that best matches your needs.

I've already been using MagicJack for the past four years or so with few complaints. It serves perfectly well as my main home phone in BKK for incoming and outgoing calls between here and the U.S. I already bought the device in the first year, so now I'm just paying the annual $29.95 service renewal cost.

But if I was starting from scratch, I'd take a long hard look at MagicJack and then compare it with the very similar NetTalk Duo service and device mentioned above.

Here's a Yahoo News positive review of MagicJack Plus...says it works better than MagicJack due to non-reliance on an individual's computer and certain improvements. Could be hype...could be true...just FYI. Link

BTW, it's kind of hard to tell from MJ's website... but when I log into my account there.... they are still selling both the original MJ and the newer MJ+... Original for $39.95 and Plus for $69.95.... both prices including the device and first year of service.

They're even getting more fancy these days, now also offering the ability to choose "vanity" U.S. numbers where you can pick, if available, exactly the area code and number you want (perhaps spelling out a name or word(s), for an extra charge of $10 set-up and $10 extra annually.

BTW, it's kind of hard to tell from MJ's website... but when I log into my account there.... they are still selling both the original MJ and the newer MJ+... Original for $39.95 and Plus for $69.95.... both prices including the device and first year of service.

They're even getting more fancy these days, now also offering the ability to choose "vanity" U.S. numbers where you can pick, if available, exactly the area code and number you want (perhaps spelling out a name or word(s), for an extra charge of $10 set-up and $10 extra annually.

John,

Are you saying a person can not pick the area code and prefix code desired when registering his MagicJack/MagicJackPlus; instead, he is just given a number drawn out of the hat unless he wants to pay extra for the desired area code and prefix code. If ordering the MagicJackPlus I was sure hoping I could choose the 276 area code (in VA) and pick the local prefix number I talked about in my post #25 so family/friends could call me free without having to pay extra to get the area code and prefix code of choice. Or are you saying a person can pay extra for a very specific number to include the last 4 digits? Thanks.

Pib

Edited by Pib

John,

Are you saying a person can not pick the area code and prefix code desired when registering his MagicJack/MagicJackPlus; instead, he is just given a number drawn out of the hat unless he wants to pay extra for the desired area code and prefix code. If ordering the MagicJackPlus I was sure hoping I could choose the 276 area code (in VA) and pick the local prefix number I talked about in my post #25 so family/friends could call me free without having to pay extra to get the area code and prefix code of choice. Or are you saying a person can pay extra for a very specific number to include the last 4 digits? Thanks.

Pib

John,

Never mind on above....I've done some more googling on MagicJack, found several websites where folks showed screen shoots of the registration process, and see a person can choose the area code and prefix code during the registration process, although that does not mean they will have the code you desire like with any VOIP-type service. Glad I had that online chat session with the MagicJack folks to confirm they do offer the area & prefix codes I want...or at least a few days ago they did.

Also, no shortage of people who love MagicJack and no shortage of folks who hate MagicJack for various reasons (i.e., billing, support, call quality, etc). In some ways the internet gives us so much info it can sometimes scare us off of a product/service since everybody and his brother can post opinions....some opinions which sound very creditable and other opinions which sound clueless.

Cheers,

Pib

Pib, the extra cost vanity process with MJ involves picking the entire phone number (all digits) to the extent the numbers are available...

The standard number assignment is just area code and first three digits.... but the last four digits usually are from a list of different choices given on the website... You don't get to specifically choose the final four digits number by number in the normal account setup process.

With MagicJackPlus you can hookup a real phone...don't need a computer to make/receive calls. Also, with Google Call/Voice a person may not be able to use it in Thailand unless you have VPN since Thailand is not on the list of officially supported countries yet for Google Call...it may/will not show up in your Google Gmail menu. For some people in Thailand the Google Call menu shows up but not for others. Between the wife and I we have four Gmail addresses and Google Call only shows up in 2 of the 4 "unless we turn-on VPN" to get a U.S. IP address. But the key thing with MagicJackPlus is you do not need to be hooked up to a computer to use it....plug it into a router port, hook your phone to MagicJackPlus, then make or receive calls on the phone number you selected when signing up for the MagicJackPlus. Maybe think of it as a Vonage adapter/service except the adapter is much smaller and the MagicJackPlus service is much cheaper.

Edited by Pib

MJ, for an annual fee of $29.95, (about $2.50 per month) gives the user unlimited calling to any U.S. or Canadian phone numbers from anywhere in the world. The user can make regular phone calls from any regular land-line-type phoneset plugged into a small USB box that plugs into an internet connected computer.

Google Voice allows free U.S. bound calls for U.S. accounts, but not from Thailand Google accounts, as best as I can tell. But to me it seems a bit more complicated involving having to initiate the call from your PC, and then the Google network calling you back on some designated number.

I'm not any expert on Google Voice. But more significantly, I believe you also can't use the Google Voice service with a U.S. account to forward incoming calls to Thailand mobile numbers or Thai landlines (house phones), which really limits how most people would receive such calls here (other than via computer and headset/mic)

Maybe the prior poster or others more familiar with using Google Voice in TH can elaborate.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I have just opened my MagicJack Plus which was purchased and then hand carried from the USA.

On its plug, between the electrical prongs, it states, 'Input: 100-240VAC, Output: 5V=1A'

I thought there was a way to check available area codes/exchanges, I know was able to do that when I first looked in to getting a MJ ~ 4 years ago. I was able to get my desired area code/local exchange.

I did find this site, but who knows how up to date it is? http://www.magicjacknumbers.com/

You can also port an existing telephone number to MJ, which might be good for someone moving to Thailand now? (This wasn't an option when I moved here but I am considering porting my long-time mobile phone number, currently pre-paid with T-Mo, to a new MJ.) Perhaps as elderly family members or friends move to newer digs (Florida, retirement community, assisted-living facility) one might consider porting that long-held telephone number to MJ to maintain a cost-effective link to the community?

http://brucewagner.posterous.com/keep-one-magicjack-unregistered-forever-and-u

Edited by lomatopo

When I signed up years ago, I first picked my area code... And then....I had a choice of different exchange 3 digit numbers within that area code...

But the last four digit selections were all random. The website would show 10 or so available phone numbers at a time incorporating those selections. And if you didn't like any of the combinations, you could reload the page for another set of number selections.

I thought there was a way to check available area codes/exchanges, I know was able to do that when I first looked in to getting a MJ ~ 4 years ago. I was able to get my desired area code/local exchange.

I did find this site, but who knows how up to date it is? http://www.magicjacknumbers.com/

You can also port an existing telephone number to MJ, which might be good for someone moving to Thailand now? (This wasn't an option when I moved here but I am considering porting my long-time mobile phone number, currently pre-paid with T-Mo, to a new MJ.) Perhaps as elderly family members or friends move to newer digs (Florida, retirement community, assisted-living facility) one might consider porting that long-held telephone number to MJ to maintain a cost-effective link to the community?

http://brucewagner.p...d-forever-and-u

Here's the MagicJack.com Link which provides their list of area codes; unfortunately, they don't list their prefix codes within the area code coverage area. If you want to find out before buying a MagicJack to ensure they will have the area and prefix codes desired you must first contact their customer support and ask the question, "What prefix codes do you have within area code XYZ?" Or at least that is what I had to do.

With other VOIP services I've dealt with like 8x8/Packet8 and Vonage these sites have online modules where you can see/select your number before or while placing the order. With a MagicJack device you have to wait until you buy, receive, and plug-in/register the device to select your phone number....and if you really wanted/needed a certain area and prefix code you could be in for a disappointment. But to prevent such disappointment you just need to contact the MagicJack folks first like I described in my post #25.

I just love the MagicJack web site (I'm being sarcastic)...it seems to be stuck in a 1970's TV Sales format style (make the sale at all costs) and some of the Q&As seem down right focused to make the sale at all costs by answering the question in a purely sales-slanted way. You need to read their Q&A VERY closely to ensure they are giving the answer you were looking for. Like when I wanted to find out about shipping the MagicJackPlus to an oveseas (Thailand) address since their online ordering system only appears to accept U.S. (to include APOs) Canada, Puerto Rico, and Virgin Island addreses.. On their Q&A section they have this about shipping overseas:

- Question: Can I send a magicJack to a friend or relative overseas?

- Answer: YES. magicJack.com will only ship to the United States and Canada, along with Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands.

However, you may reship magicJack to friends, family or associates overseas. We do not ship direct to countries and locations other than United States and Canada, along with Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. You can also recommend magicJack APP to friends and family abroad.

Or said another way, no we don't ship overseas; only to U.S./Canada addresses...but we'll sure ship it to anyone in the U.S. /Canada who can then reship it to you overseas (in Thailand). Now this shipping is not really an issue with me (but it could be for some)...I'm just using this Q&A as an example of how they answer some questions and there are many other sales-slanted answers in their Q&A section. If ordering off the MagicJack site you would get that little extra of MagicJack not charging your credit/debit card for 30 days after the order...MagicJack describes this as a 30 day Free Trial implying 30 days of free use but it's really only means they won't charge you for 30 days after the order...once again that sales at any cost approach....pretty much like Thai cell phone plans...the fine print contains the devil in the fine print. With all this being said, I'm still leaning towards ordering a MagicJackPlus direct from the MagicJack web site, off Ebay, etc., where ever I find the best price+shipping combination. Cheers.

From looking at reviews on Amazon.com it appears to be a flip of a coin how well MagicJackPlus meets expectations. As of this date, 106 individual reviews with 36 people giving it a 5 star rating and 39 people giving it a 1 star rating....then there is a pretty even number of folks giving it either a 4 star rating (12 people) or 2 star rating (11 people) with the remaining 8 folks giving it a 3 star rating.

That's kinda of a U shaped rating which indicates a hit or miss product/service. I think one reviewer said it best (he gave a 1 star rating):

Looking at the Amazon reviews, Magic Jack's business model is clear. Three quarters of the reviews are either 5's or 1's. It's a flip of the coin whether your service works adequately. If it does, people are ecstatic at the low cost. If it doesn't, Magic Jack blows them off. At this price it's your call whether it's worth the coin flip.

post-55970-0-00317500-1331293277_thumb.j

post-55970-0-31463300-1331293299_thumb.j

• Like 1

After reviewing BangkokImages great review and the MagicJack web site, today at around 3:30pm Thailand time which would have been 3:30am U.S. East Coast time I started an online/live text conversation with a MagicJack Customer Representative. I wanted to to find out if certain prefix codes were available for a certain Virginia area code. By prefix code I mean the three digit number right after the three digit area code number...the prefix number identifies the local area/town. As many of you know, just because you can get a certain area code which can cover a large area, each area code will have many prefix codes, and calling between the prefix codes can end up being a long distance call depending on telecom companies. If your hometown relatives/friends are cheap like mine and many live in a certain area they may not call you if they know calling you is going to cost them money--of course, maybe that's a good thing the relatives don't call.

Since the MagicJack website only lists available area codes but not prefix codes, I decided I would try out MagicJack online customer support to see if they could give me some prefix code info. Would hate to order a MagicJack device and then can not get a prefix code which makes the calls free for my family/friends. I know for some this is not an issue as you only want/need any U.S. area code/prefix code, but for others being able to get a particular prefix code that is just a local, no cost call for you family/friends is wanted.

I started the online query fully figuring I would get a response like no representatives are available, try again between times so-and-so, or I would have been waiting a long time for a representative to come online. But no, within about 15 seconds of initiating a customer service conversation I had a customer service rep online. The person seemed knowledge, understood my question about the prefix code, confirmed they did "not" yet have the prefix code which I currently use with my current VOIP service (approx $16/month including all taxes/fees, unlimited outbound/inbound calls, excellent voice quality, and all the other stuff a person wants...been with them for many years), but MagicJack did have two other prefix codes that would be local calls for the hometown family/friends.

Until hearing about the MagicJack Plus I had no interest in MagicJack which basically requires you to have a computer running all the time to make or receive realtime/anytime calls. But I just may order this MagicJack Plus device.

Thanks again to BangkokImages for a good review and the other posters who added some very good additional details. Cheers.

A few minutes ago around 9:30pm Bangkok time I decided I would see how fast I could get a MagicJack customer support rep online and ask the question about what prefix codes does MagicJack have available within area code 276. Well, I got an agent online within about 15 seconds just like last time but this agent kept saying I couldn't find out what prefix codes were available until I registered the MagicJackPlus. I explained getting a codes that made calls local for my family/friends was very important. Then got another reply along the lines of I would have to wait until receiving and registering the MagicJackPlus.

I then replied that I really just wanted to "reconfirm" what a different rep had told me a few nights earlier since getting a local prefix code was very important to me...and I then cut and pasted in the list of prefix codes provided earlier by that other agent. I then said she may want to check with her supervisor to see if the prefix code list can be confirmed. All of sudden I got a different tone. Now the agent I was chattering was more cooperative and reconfirmed the two prefix codes I was most interested in that would make the calls local for family/friends were indeed available...or at least I sure hope the rep truly reconfirmed by checking the MagicJack system for available codes.

But the response I got a few nights ago I would give a 5 star rating; the response I got tonight I would have given a 1 star rating. To me this kinda reinforces that if you can't seem to get the MagicJack working the support you get online may be good or bad, although I know I was probably talking to sales agents versus a technical agent. Also reading the different reviews it seems a person's "local internet provider/system" will be a key player in how well or not so well the MagicJack will work (that's the biggest issue with most VOIP type systems) as it sure sounds like some of the Amazon negative reviews were bandwidth problems mixed in with some folks being technically-challenged who would also probably have a problem screwing in a light bulb.

Well, I'll just let my research set for a few days or a week before deciding whether I want to buy a MagicJackPlus...but believe it or not, I'm still leaning towards buying one. Cheers.

Re MJ, I've never had much reason to deal in person with their customer service folks. But based on the few times I have gone down that road, I'd say it's certainly true not to expect too much.

On the other hand, the device itself has worked great for me through all the years.... And the only time I've had any call quality issues is when my computer was uploading other data in the background while I was trying to make a call. Keep in mind, our upload speeds are much more limited than our D/L speeds. But it's your voice in a phone conversation that's needing to be uploaded. So any competing uploads will tend to create issues, but that's easy to avoid once you know to do so.

Beyond that, being able to make and receive phone calls anywhere in the world with an internet connection and a regular, simple landline phone has been GREAT!!! On the flip side, the MJ software I've found often to be kind of balky on my computer, and difficult to quickly close when you want to.

But the ultimate verdict is... I just finished renewing for what must be my fifth year of service.... So I must be a reasonably satisfied customer.