Magic Jack Plus

BangkokImages

I don't usually post my reviews and such in the forums here unless they can be made part of an existing discussion and even then only a link.. but this time I think this review might really benefit some of you so I'm posting a link here. If you need a USA number that rings in Thailand or you need to make/recieve regular calls to America the new Magic Jack Plus is really hard to beat. I used my original in Thailand for close to 4-5 years or whenever they started it.. but never felt it worked well enoguh to warrant a review. The new model changes all that. Here's the review.

mj8_thumb_2.jpg

• Like 1

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the review, very informative. I also use MJ and will now upgrade to MJ Plus based on your review.

One add on note, CDN clients can get a Canadian phone number for an additional $10 per year.

I didn't know that. I hope you don't mind that I append my review and add that bit of information? It's surely to be valuable to more than a few.

Hmmm. Sounds very interesting, and am thinking it might be a good alternative for family who live in the USA, as well, to basically replace their current land-line service.

If I understand correctly: $69.95 for the hardware, including one year's service (works out to less than US$6/month), and can purchase a five-year pacakge for $99.99 for five years (US$1.67/month!)

On the review site, you say: "I have incredible bandwidth here so I wondered how well Magic Jack Plus works at their minimum advertised bandwidth of 128kb. This would be the equivalent of a dial up internet connection." Where can you get dial-up 128k service? Isn't dial-up a maximum of 56k?

Thanks for sharing your review!

Hmmm. Sounds very interesting, and am thinking it might be a good alternative for family who live in the USA, as well, to basically replace their current land-line service.

If I understand correctly: $69.95 for the hardware, including one year's service (works out to less than US$6/month), and can purchase a five-year pacakge for $99.99 for five years (US$1.67/month!)

On the review site, you say: "I have incredible bandwidth here so I wondered how well Magic Jack Plus works at their minimum advertised bandwidth of 128kb. This would be the equivalent of a dial up internet connection." Where can you get dial-up 128k service? Isn't dial-up a maximum of 56k?

Thanks for sharing your review!

a. I agree. It is now my only landline. With so many people choosing to forego a landline in lieu of cell phones these days, this provides an economical way to keep a functioning home based number for 911 and personal business contacts (credit card, utilities, etc) where you don't want them bothering your cell.

b. Yes, you are correct. Those are the charges. If you get the new Magic Jack Plus with one year of service and the 5 year $99 deal.. you now have six total years of service. Incredible.

c. Modern (it's hard to say modern with dialup) dialups I've seen as much as 256kb. It depends on the company.

Or buy a WiFi SIP phone anywhere (ex. SIPGATE also. I use UTstarcomm here.). Or use a cellphone with SIP client (like Nokia N8/N82 and many others). May all be cheaper than the old fashioned box up there..

Why old fashioned? Cause you need an extra analog phone to connect to the box. The complete solution with a WiFi phone -maybe Siemens or others- cost same or less.

Edited by Aachen

BangkokImages, thanks for that review.

Two questions, if you don't mind:

1. How were you able to get it delivered to you in Thailand?
  2. After you ported your existing number to the new device, are you still able to use the old one? In other words, do you now have two Magic Jacks with the same number?

Thanks again.

BangkokImages, thanks for that review.

Two questions, if you don't mind:

1. How were you able to get it delivered to you in Thailand?
  2. After you ported your existing number to the new device, are you still able to use the old one? In other words, do you now have two Magic Jacks with the same number?

Thanks again.

1. I don't know if they'll ship directly to Thailand. It would be something you could try when ordering. However, I usually use the shipito service for forwarding all my stateside orders from Amazon and other venders. The package is small/light enough a friend/family could also forward it for very little postage. Magic Jack sends it via first class mail like a regular envelope. Also to be totally clear, I am currently in the states and will only be making twice a year workshop visits to Thailand for the next 3-4 years when I'll then return for good.

2. This was one of my first questions and I contacted Magic Jack with my questions. (their online chat service is like most others, you feel like you're one of 10 guys they're chatting with as they go from one to one.. but it still only took 3-4 minutes to get my questins answered) Yes, after tranferring your number to your new Magic Jack Plus, it frees up your old one to choose another number for and whatever service you had on it will transfer over to the new number. I was a bit put off by not being able to transfer my remaining service but once I got used to the idea and realized how cheap it is over a 5-6 year period I stopped worryign about it. Especially once you experience how well it works.

3. USB/SIF services were great when we didn't have other choices. But now we do. Like I said in my review, I didn't review the original Magic Jack because it required a computer being on full time and both call quality and overall performance took hits because the phone service was sharing a computer which was competing for computer resources and bandwidth. It just wasn't ready to truly take the place of a regular land line despite it's obvious advantages during my years residing in Thailand. The new Magic Jack Plus is a standalone device equivalent to full on VoIP phone like Vonage and others who charge $19-$30 a month. But for only $1.61 a month (their 5 year $99.00 service which includes all long distance within the states). I don't know what technical mojo they put in the New Magic Jack Plus, but I would assume this standalone device is tweaked for maximum performance and call quality. At least it sure feels like it.

• 2 months later...

I've used and continue to use the same original MJ device in Thailand that I've had for the past 3 or 4 years.

Even though they recently raised their price for annual renewals from about $20 to a new rate of $30 per year, I haven't been able to find anything else that provides a better combination of phone services, convenience and value for your/my money.

For $29.95 per year, I get my own U.S. phone number with electronic voicemail that anyone anywhere in the world on any phone can call just like a regular landline. And going the other way, I get unlimited calling from Thailand to any numbers in the U.S. and Canada included in the annual subscription price... That's UNLIMITED....to any numbers...any day...all the time... No extra charges, no connection fees, etc etc.

In terms of performance, it's worked great on my various True DSL and cable plans I've had thru the years... The only caveat I've found is, to avoid voice quality disruptions, you don't want to have other bandwidth using applications running while you're talking. So for example, when I'm using the phone, I put my automatic cloud file backup application on hold/sleep so it's not using a lot of my upload bandwidth while I'm trying to do a voice call.

By comparison, Skype wants $60 a year to provide a dedicated call-in U.S. number (although they'll reduce that price if you pair the number subscription with an outbound calling plan for an extra price). And then the outbound calling from that number that you'd do would be extra on top of that, either billed per minute or billed monthly via a recurring monthly subscription. With Magic Jack, you get your own U.S. number with choice of area code and unlimited U.S. calling for one fixed annual fee..now $29.95.

If there's any other service out there that provides comparable capabilities (unlimited outbound calling to the U.S. along with your own U.S. phone number) for a more affordable price, I don't know what it is...

There are lots of VOIP calling services where you can make cheap calls to various places around the globe via the Internet, starting either with your computer or other device. But most of those don't provide you with a U.S. number for other people to call you. Or if they do, it usually seems to be at a much higher price that Magic Jack.

If I'm missing something that's comparable out there for a better price, please someone let me know.

The only thing I can think of that would be better would be a way to leverage my Magic Jack service onto my mobile phone for making outbound calls when I'm away from the house... (Although when I travel away from home including back to the U.S., I pack my Magic Jack into my suitcase and take it along to use, plugging it into my travel laptop PC. So people can reach me just like if I was sitting at my desk at home.

PS - One thing I didn't see mentioned in the OP's review of the Magic Jack Plus was whether the electric plug and device are directly compatible or not with Thailand's 220V electric system. That's not an issue with the original MJ, since it's only plugging into your PC's USB port for power and isn't directly accessing the local electric system.

Since I pretty much always leave my main desktop computer running at home, except putting it to sleep at night when I'm sleeping, the issue about needing to plug the original MJ device into a PC has never been an issue/concern for me. I also like having my phone call history and contacts stored online via the MJ software, which occurs with the original version but apparently not with the MJ Plus because it's not going thru your PC.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

PS - One thing I didn't see mentioned in the OP's review of the Magic Jack Plus was whether the electric plug and device are directly compatible or not with Thailand's 220V electric system. That's not an issue with the original MJ, since it's only plugging into your PC's USB port for power and isn't directly accessing the local electric system.

Hmmm... I found answer to the question I posed above in one of the MJ online FAQ documents.

Will MagicJack PLUS work in countries with 220V? tab_L.gif

Answer: tab_R.gif

Yes, but we only provide a USB power adapter that fits North American power outlets.

If you are planning on using the magicJack PLUS outside of North America, you can either use a USB power adapter that you already own or purchase one at an electronics store near you.

It's not really clear to me from the above answer whether they're talking about simply issues of the physical size/shape of the power plugs on the device, or what kind of voltage it can handle without any voltage converter/adapter.

U.S. double straight pin plugs will physically FIT into most more modern Thai electrical outlets... Other countries have different kinds of incompatible plug configurations. But if you plug a U.S. appliance meant for 110V direct into a Thai 220V outlet, you're likely to fry your device... unless it's dual voltage like laptop power plugs and similar things.

I did notice, though, in reading more about the MJ Plus, that it appears that device still can be used in the same way as the original MJ, with just a USB port plug in and no AC connection. Of course, they're selling the original MJ with one year of service for $39.95, while the new Plus model with its AC jack sells for $69.95 with one year of service.

Yeah you might not have to have a computer on all the time but I don't know many people that have a router without a computer so you will still have to have a reliable Internet provider here in Thailand, which is not a given in this country

I did not opt for it because they will not transfer your current remaining years from your old MJ to your new MJ Plus

I still use my original MJ; have had it for at least 4 years. Works fine for me. I don't get that many in-bound calls so no need to leave my PC on all the time (which I do anyway), but I do pop out the MJ. I prefer voicemails, especially delivered via email which I can even play on my android phone. I didn't realize the 1 year subscription jumped to $29.95, I've been renewing year by year and did so a few months ago for $19.95. (Although they wouldn't let me re-new with a Thailand IP address.) I also carry my MJ with me on my frequent trips back to the U.S. and use it at hotels over WiFi or at friends' homes, when staying with them.

MJ is sold though a number of retail outlets in the U.S. including Amazon, eBay, Radio Shack, I think I even saw them in CVS! You can buy them here as well, although they are marked up quite a bit.

The only thing I can think of that would be better would be a way to leverage my Magic Jack service onto my mobile phone for making outbound calls when I'm away from the house... (Although when I travel away from home including back to the U.S., I pack my Magic Jack into my suitcase and take it along to use, plugging it into my travel laptop PC. So people can reach me just like if I was sitting at my desk at home.

Since I pretty much always leave my main desktop computer running at home, except putting it to sleep at night when I'm sleeping, the issue about needing to plug the original MJ device into a PC has never been an issue/concern for me. I also like having my phone call history and contacts stored online via the MJ software, which occurs with the original version but apparently not with the MJ Plus because it's not going thru your PC.

1. This isn't the same thing, but if you purchase magic jack international minutes you can use them through your magic jack phone, OR through a mobile/hotel/any phone by dialing an access number. This works as well as any calling card I've used, and costs a lot less.

2. No. It's 110vac. Yet, it's a simple USB connection for the power, you can run it off any USB power adapter. They sell them in Pantip for as little as 20 baht. You can also power it through your computer.. though that requires the computer being on unless you have one of the newer "always on" USB ports on your PC.

3. This bothered me at first.. a lot. Then I purchased a $30 cordless Panasonic phone with answering machine (I don't use that part, I prefer the voice mail because it shows up in my email which I will get sooner than waiting until I'm home) that keeps track of my last 200 calls, allows me to save them as contacts, etc.. and basically duplicates the function of their software UI..

After several months of use I have to say the new MJ works several levels higher than the original. Only once has it not worked and that was because I disconnected the power, plugged it back in, and my router lost its DCHP place in line. Rebooting the router fixed it. I've had no stuttered calls, no issues where someone can't hear me, no issues at all. For all practical purposes it functions and performs like a high quality land line. Incredible for the price.

It's also nice not having the software on my computer. I never liked the way the original shows up as a CD drive in my devices and conflicted with the optical drives I did have. It's just one less thing to cause trouble on my system.

I did not opt for it because they will not transfer your current remaining years from your old MJ to your new MJ Plus

I saw that mention in the OP's review, and as well in the MJ FAQs I was reading last night... That seems like a very odd kind of decision on the company's part. If you're a customer of theirs and paid for multiple years of service, why should they distinguish and separate out whether you're using an original MJ vs. a newer one.

In any event, I've been renewing on an annual basis, and will renew my original MJ for another year here shortly. (Given the way things change with technology, I didn't really want to go for their five year plan despite its cost savings).

I guess it's reassuring to find that no one else here has a better quality/better value/better services solution than the MJ for Thailand-U.S. calling. clap2.gif

I checked out the Sipgate.com site that a couple of posters mentioned above... Interesting...but not compelling, as follows:

1. When I clicked the link (just exploring) to start their service by their free 30-day trial, a message popped up saying they'd run out of phone numbers to assign and to check back with them later. Got the same message with both a Thailand and several different U.S. IP addresses. Their website says they have numbers available in 27 states and will assign a CA number if your U.S. address isn't in one of those. It's nice that they provide a permanent, real U.S. phone number for free as part of their service. But not much help if they have no numbers available.

Due to the increased volume of new registrations within the last few weeks, we have unfortunately ran out of free numbers in your area and we are currently not able to offer you any alternative free phone number at the moment.

We have ordered a new batch of numbers which will be made available very soon but we're afraid we can't give you an exact time frame for this yet. Follow us on twitter and we will let you know when it will be possible to sign-up for an account with us again.

2. When you go into the guts of their plan offerings, it appears they have an automatic Enhanced Emergency 911 charge on their service plans of $1.90 per phone per month. That's of absolutely no value to anyone here in Thailand, but that charge alone would work out to $22.80 per year prior to any taxes, making it almost as much as the annual cost of a MJ subscription.

post-58284-0-35308000-1330932243_thumb.j

In order to be able to contact the emergency services from your sipgate account, you need to configure and activate your emergency location! Please be sure to submit your correct and valid US address as foreign addresses are not accepted. Without doing so, making an emergency call is not possible and could put you and your loved ones in jeopardy should an emergency occur! Sipgate will verify and validate your US emergency address. This process can take a few days and you will receive an e-mail confirming that the emergency call service has been activated. You can always check the emergency location status on the sipgate website in your settings area.

From their website, it appears there is some way to opt out of that charge, as follows:

Can I opt out of E911?

E911 service is mandatory for US customers as required by the FCC. There is no way to disable E911 service as a US customer.

However, if you use sipgate only in a nomadic fashion, or while you are out of the country, then you can opt out of the E911 service. To do this please go into your E911 settings under Plans and Locations in your account.

3. From their website info, it doesn't appear that they have a monthly charge... But rather, the customer is paying per minute for all their calls out, namely 1.9 cents per minute for regular U.S. domestic number calls and a quite reasonable 2.9 cents per minute (about 1 baht) for Thailand calls, the latter as good as or better than some mobile phone rates with local carriers in Thailand. Can't tell from their website whether there are various taxes and fees added on similar to what occurs with regular U.S. domestic landline phone services. But by comparison, MagicJack is unlimited domestic calling including your own assigned U.S. phone number for about $2.50 per month ($29.95 per year).

4. But the part that made this less appealing for me was having to use their service either as a software phone via software installed on a PC, or with a SIP compliant device. The good part about that is I think my Android mobile phone (Gingerbread 2.3.4) will play well with SIP accounts. But other than that, if I didn't want to always use my mobile phone, I'd have to go out and buy some kind of USB phone to use with a computer or some SIP phone or network device, which would just add to the overall cost. With MJ, I can plug in and use any regular house/home phone with a standard RJ11 jack, no fuss and no muss...

If Sipgate ever gets around to having available accounts and phone numbers again, I might give them a try just to install on my Android phone and see how it works in that environment, perhaps replacing my local Thai mobile provider service. At 1.9 cents for calls to the U.S. and 2.9 cents for calls to Thailand numbers (plus the related data useage on your Thai mobile service if away from Wifi), that's a pretty good deal -- assuming E911 and various other charges don't get added on.

But with all the various issues mentioned above, it's not going to replace my MJ for home phone service anytime soon.

Here's the PC World Feb 2012 review of the MagicJack Plus, which gives it a lower rating than the NetTalk Duo below...mainly over MJ's pretty poor customer support issues.

By comparison...

There's a comparable kind of device and calling service called NetTalk and the NetTalk Duo. $49.95 (it looks like it was priced at $69.95 originally, see the PC Mag review link below) to buy the plug in device with the first year of service and $29.95 for additional years after that. They appear to both assign new numbers and will port over existing ones. And the device/service includes free domestic U.S. and Canada calls, with the ability to pay extra for international calling.

PC Mag review -- http://www.pcmag.com...,2387769,00.asp

Includes the follow excerpt:

While magicJack is a little cheaper than netTALK, its poor technical support and lack of information (both online and in the product packaging) make it difficult to recommend. NetTALK measures up to Ooma and Vonage in most respects but is a lot cheaper.

Here's a PC World review of the same device that's considerably less positive about the set-up issues for NetTALK, but still likes the device and service overall.

NetTalk's toll-free tech support is available seven days a week, and you can also submit a ticket online. When I did so (on a weekday), I received a problem-specific, human-typed (as opposed to canned) response within about 20 minutes.

Because it can plug directly into your router, the NetTalk Duo offers a sizable advantage over the MagicJack. It also offers more calling features and support options. If you're not concerned about keeping your phone number, it could be the cheapy phone service of your dreams.

I also see that NetTalk has just begun promo'ing a new feature of free porting of existing U.S. landline numbers to their NetTalk Duo... a nice add-on for those desiring to transfer over an existing landline number.

Skype is charging $60 a year for an assigned U.S. number, though apparently that fee can be discounted when you add a calling package subscription at an extra price. But any way you cut it, more expensive than MJ.

Yahoo Voice offers an assigned U.S. number for $29.90 per year or $2.99 billed monthly. But like Skype, that doesn't include any calling time, which is billed extra on a per minute basis -- 1.9 cents per minute to the U.S. and almost 10 cents per minute to Thai numbers.

Ooma.com offers a devide-based service similar to MJ, but the upfront equipment service is expensive ($198 for the device at Amazon) and then there's no monthly service fee after that for unlimited U.S. domestic calling (although taxes and fees are added on). Calls to Thai numbers are 3.3 cents per minute plus t&f. They have a t&f calculator on their website, so I entered my CA zip code, and it spit back a monthly t&f rate that would be added to my service of $3.78 per month -- more than the entire monthly equivalent rate for MJ.

Vonage is far far more expensive on a monthly basis compared to MJ.

I renewed by MJ original subscription this afternoon for a grand total of $31.39, including taxes, for one additional year.

In noodling around the MJ website, it appears that they now do indeed have a mobile IPhone/IPad App available via ITunes... But alas, nothing for Android phones.

But I did find this Q and A in their FAQs section:

When will magicJack APP be available for Android? tab_L.gif

Answer tab_R.gif

Very Soon.

We are testing internally and will release a Beta veersion as soon as internal testing has been completed.

Though it seems there may be a hack way now, albeit somewhat complicated, to use one's MJ account on an Android phone.... See the following post from XDA Developers.

Though it seems there may be a hack way now, albeit somewhat complicated, to use one's MJ account on an Android phone.... See the following post from XDA Developers.

This worked for a while a few years ago but MJ strengthened/randomized their authentication protocols so this is no longer possible, unfortunately.

Not sure they will have an Android app. but one can hope.

I have the original MJ and after 1 year of occasional use when traveling I bought the additional 5 years of service. Then I moved to Thailand and discovered the primary numbers (family members) I planned to use the MJ device for were not accessible via the MJ device.

Why? I'm from a small town in North Florida, the local phone service is not owned by the large phone companies and MJ is not permitted to route inbound traffic to the local land lines in my area. My folks were able to call my MJ extension from their local land lines but inbound calls from the MJ extension received a "fast busy" ring on my end.

A ticket was opened with MJ and I used to call them every other week for an updated status. The status never changed; "ticket has been sent to our engineering branch for a solution". I quit the status calls after about 4 months and unplugged the device. It currently sits on my desk at home and collects dust. The MJ customer service for my issue really leaves a lot to be desired.

Don't believe the hype that you can call anywhere in the US, this is not true. If your calls are to large metro areas you'll be ok.

I have gone back to Vonage, costs more but I can make the calls I need to make without any problems.

If someone wants a MJ device and lives in the Chiang Mai area I'm willing to drop it off somewhere. 100% free, no money, no free beer or anything.

Current 5 year plan expires in March 2015. The current number assigned is 850-xxx-xxx and is from Panama City Fl.

This worked for a while a few years ago but MJ strengthened/randomized their authentication protocols so this is no longer possible, unfortunately.

Not sure they will have an Android app. but one can hope.

Thanks Loma... Yes... I ended up reading thru much of an 11 or 12 page XDA developers thread on the subject, where the most recent posts reported that problem with MJ randomizing or periodically changing their internal passwords, thus rendering people's SIP settings invalid... Yet a few posters seemed to still say the method was working... Overall, though, it looked problematic.

As for MJ's own Android app, the FAQ answer I quoted above from the MJ support site was updated in Feb. 2012 (last month) and indicated they were already working on the app internally... How "soon" soon will be, though, we'll have to wait and see.

BTW, unfortunately for us, it seems that the very similar NetTalk Duo device and service I mentioned above does already have

mobile apps for Android, IPhone/IPad and Windows Phone... If I didn't already own and use the MJ device, that additional mobile capability (along with the comparable services and pricing) would make NetTalk a very interesting alternative to MJ.

Why? I'm from a small town in North Florida, the local phone service is not owned by the large phone companies and MJ is not permitted to route inbound traffic to the local land lines in my area. My folks were able to call my MJ extension from their local land lines but inbound calls from the MJ extension received a "fast busy" ring on my end.

Sorry to hear that KJ... I do wonder how many areas in the U.S. might have similar problems in terms of being unable to receive incoming calls using MJ...

In my 4 years of using the device, I've never encountered that kind of problem. But admittedly, all of my outbound calls using the MJ device have been to large city-location U.S. numbers...

Unfortunately, it's those kinds of quirky pitfalls like the one you ran into that make technological innovation a somewhat rocky, unpredictable road.

It doesn't appear to me that there is any 'linkage' between the netTALK DUO HW and service, and their "free" smartphone app.?

Heck, I'm not even sure how an Android App. would work in conjunction with MJ re: incoming call routing? Maybe if your MJ HW at home was turned off the call could ring through? Not sure which IP address MJ would know to route the call to?Obviously being able to originate calls on an Android phone over a WAN (3G/WiFi; not sure EDGE is robust enough?) using our MJ 'credentials' would be a plus. But then we might have to remain stationary. wink.png

May all be cheaper than the old fashioned box up there. Why old fashioned? Cause you need an extra analog phone to connect to the box.

Ooh, consider the bank broken. ;) A analog handset is like 200 baht! For many with DSL we already have a fixed-line and an analog handset for making 'traditional' calls, so just plug and call. Then you have to add in the VoIP service. In case it wasn't clear, MJ's annual fee is (was) about equal to the monthly fee for many VoIP providers.

Edited by lomatopo

After reviewing BangkokImages great review and the MagicJack web site, today at around 3:30pm Thailand time which would have been 3:30am U.S. East Coast time I started an online/live text conversation with a MagicJack Customer Representative. I wanted to to find out if certain prefix codes were available for a certain Virginia area code. By prefix code I mean the three digit number right after the three digit area code number...the prefix number identifies the local area/town. As many of you know, just because you can get a certain area code which can cover a large area, each area code will have many prefix codes, and calling between the prefix codes can end up being a long distance call depending on telecom companies. If your hometown relatives/friends are cheap like mine and many live in a certain area they may not call you if they know calling you is going to cost them money--of course, maybe that's a good thing the relatives don't call.

Since the MagicJack website only lists available area codes but not prefix codes, I decided I would try out MagicJack online customer support to see if they could give me some prefix code info. Would hate to order a MagicJack device and then can not get a prefix code which makes the calls free for my family/friends. I know for some this is not an issue as you only want/need any U.S. area code/prefix code, but for others being able to get a particular prefix code that is just a local, no cost call for you family/friends is wanted.

I started the online query fully figuring I would get a response like no representatives are available, try again between times so-and-so, or I would have been waiting a long time for a representative to come online. But no, within about 15 seconds of initiating a customer service conversation I had a customer service rep online. The person seemed knowledge, understood my question about the prefix code, confirmed they did "not" yet have the prefix code which I currently use with my current VOIP service (approx $16/month including all taxes/fees, unlimited outbound/inbound calls, excellent voice quality, and all the other stuff a person wants...been with them for many years), but MagicJack did have two other prefix codes that would be local calls for the hometown family/friends.

Until hearing about the MagicJack Plus I had no interest in MagicJack which basically requires you to have a computer running all the time to make or receive realtime/anytime calls. But I just may order this MagicJack Plus device.

Thanks again to BangkokImages for a good review and the other posters who added some very good additional details. Cheers.

I was able to choose a specific local exchange number (e.g.: MUrray Hill 7) within an area code on MJ, but this was a ~ 4 years ago, or more. Maybe their pool is reduced? This is almost moot now though as 10 digit dialing is required even if calling the house across the street. But yes, most legacy service providers include intra-exchange calls in the basic plans, but this is less of an issue as it may have been when you last lived in the U.S.? Now you might get a completely different exchange number, or even a different area code, from a next-door neighbor. I remember when we just had to dial 4 digits within the local exchange, and party-lines and operators who knew where our parents where!

Edited by lomatopo

There are still many local telecoms/interchanges in the U.S. which really milk folks on call charges...these local telecoms are like telecommunications warlords for their area. It's almost like getting phone/internet service in parts of Thailand where you have a very limited choice of service providers and sometimes your choices may only be "one" choice...like your choices is TOT, TOT, or TOT. And trying to get some of my hometown relatives/friends, especially some of the older ones to try a VOIP service or maybe even a MagicJack to reduce their phone bills is like talking to the wall.

Hmmm... I found answer to the question I posed above in one of the MJ online FAQ documents.

Yes, but we only provide a USB power adapter that fits North American power outlets.

If you are planning on using the magicJack PLUS outside of North America, you can either use a USB power adapter that you already own or purchase one at an electronics store near you.

It's not really clear to me from the above answer whether they're talking about simply issues of the physical size/shape of the power plugs on the device, or what kind of voltage it can handle without any voltage converter/adapter.

U.S. double straight pin plugs will physically FIT into most more modern Thai electrical outlets... Other countries have different kinds of incompatible plug configurations. But if you plug a U.S. appliance meant for 110V direct into a Thai 220V outlet, you're likely to fry your device... unless it's dual voltage like laptop power plugs and similar things.

I did notice, though, in reading more about the MJ Plus, that it appears that device still can be used in the same way as the original MJ, with just a USB port plug in and no AC connection. Of course, they're selling the original MJ with one year of service for $39.95, while the new Plus model with its AC jack sells for $69.95 with one year of service.

From looking at the MagicJack website and doing some other googling the power adapter is rated for 100-240VAC, 50-60Hz, which is typical of many power adapter now days....for worldwide use. And it uses the U.S. blade type prongs which will easily fit in most Thai outlets/power strips which are usually designed to handle US or most European plugs. Heck, most of the power adapters I've bought in Thailand for use with my various electronic devices come with the US/blade type prongs.

From looking at the MagicJack website and doing some other googling the power adapter is rated for 100-240VAC, 50-60Hz, which is typical of many power adapter now days....for worldwide use. And it uses the U.S. blade type prongs which will easily fit in most Thai outlets/power strips which are usually designed to handle US or most European plugs. Heck, most of the power adapters I've bought in Thailand for use with my various electronic devices come with the US/blade type prongs.

This is good to know, thanks. The one I have here, one of the first ones shipped, is 110vac.. or rather marked fro 110vac only. As you say, it's a rare adapter these days which isn't universal.

There are still many local telecoms/interchanges in the U.S. which really milk folks on call charges...these local telecoms are like telecommunications warlords for their area. It's almost like getting phone/internet service in parts of Thailand where you have a very limited choice of service providers and sometimes your choices may only be "one" choice...like your choices is TOT, TOT, or TOT. And trying to get some of my hometown relatives/friends, especially some of the older ones to try a VOIP service or maybe even a MagicJack to reduce their phone bills is like talking to the wall.

Sorry, I didn't do a good job explaining, I can see. My point is that you may not need a specific local exchange number anymore:

- everyone will still have to dial 10 digits even if you have the same area code, and the same local exchange , so they may be challenged no matter what number you get.

- they may be able to call a different exchange for free. You should be able to check on their "free calling exchanges".

I wasn't suggesting that they get VoIP service or a MJ.

FWIW, you can get a USB/AC adapter here, 110-240/50-60 for 100 baht.