Magic Jack Plus

BangkokImages

For iPhone users, Talktone offers similar capabilities as GrooveIP, specifically front-ending Google Voice. It is also available for Android.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/talkatone-free-calls-sms-texting/id397648381?mt=8

iPhone users have had this app. for a while and seem to like it, the Android version may not be as good, based on some user responses?

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pib, fyi, I did re-install the NetTalk app (the "NEW" version of it) on my Android phone tonight, and successfully made a test call to my home MagicJack number. So at least the app is working now...

Downside is, the NetTalk app takes up about 20 MB of space on my phone's ROM, and the app cannot be moved to the SD card even within a non-rooted Ice Cream Sandwich OS. That makes it the largest single app in my phone's ROM memory, surpassing even the Amazon App Store app at almost 17 MB. It may be hard to justify keeping it on my Android mobile using that much ROM space.

BTW, I installed it on my phone using my phone's Google Play app, and the install itself went smoothly. Previously, the NetTalk install went fine also, but every attempted call was met with a "cannot connect" recording. Tonight, as mentioned, my first test call rang thru fine.

Good to hear it's working for you this time...I expect because it's an updated version. Yea, I noticed it was a healthy 20.11Mb size installed, but on my phone (Samsung Galaxy Ace II) it loads really fast and logs-on in almost nothing flat. And unlike GrooVeIP which has a lot of App settings to do some fine-tuning/maybe get it to work properly, I couldn't find any such settings/menus for the NetTalk Ap. It's like it installs with a certain set of default settings and there are no user tweaking is possible....that can be a good or bad thing...some people just like to tweak things...even when it's working fine.

And have you noticed how fast it's ready to call after tapping its sign-in button...for me it's less than a second and it's ready to call. Of course, this fast startup is a minor thing, but still neat....and of course the App continues to run in the background until you want to exit from it. Right now I'm not really sure why anyone would want to let it continue to run in the background since it starts/is ready to go so fact and it can't receive inbound calls like GrooVeIP (which as I've posted I can't get to work consistently for inbound calls but lomatopo has no problems)...but I haven't ready the short-and-sweet NetTalk App instruction manual yet which may give me more insight and a reason to keep it running in the background.

Called a few more times this morning to U.S. numbers and the calls went right through with good voice quality. I'm hoping that maybe in the future for those of us with NetTalk hardware devices/subscriptions the App will interface with our subscriptions which would should allow inbound calls to the App using our NetTalk service U.S. phone numbers. I can hope....seems they should want to do that as long as someone had an active hardware device/subscription for NetTalk service. Time will tell...and maybe the next update will also allow movement to the SD card...but hey, it's an free App that allows free calls to US/Canada landlines/mobile phones so I can't complain (too loud tongue.png )....and I didn't even have to be on a VPN connection.

I'm just using my new smartphone with my home Wifi system as I haven't moved my SIM card over yet from my other little scared-up, 4 year old Samsung non-smartphone that pretty much lives in my pants pocket along with baht coins, keys, etc....plus I haven't decided on what 3G data plan I want to use with my current DTAC 2G service. I have put the SIM in my new smartphone a couple of times briefly and to see if that helped with my GrooVeIP inbound call problem, but it didn't help. I sure would like to get that GrooVeIP App consistently working for inbound calls, but after 2 weeks of trying I can't...maybe its next update will fix my issue like this NetTalk App update has apparently fixed your previous issue. Yeap, this NetTalk App is fat but it's working for me (so far after only about 12 hours of testing and around 10 calls).

Pib, just to be clear, the issue on my phone with the NetTalk app isn't a running memory RAM limitation, but rather a storage space for the app limitation.

My phone has 420 MB of total space for app installs on the phone itself (ROM), and I find I need to keep at least 50 MB available for the phone to run well. I had only about 60 MB of ROM available before, so I had to un-install another larger app just to make room for the NetTalk app. Thus having the ability to move the NetTalk app to my phone's SD card would be a big benefit.

On my Android phone, the apps for Skype, Viber and GrooveIP all can be installed to the SD card.

In contrast, NetTalk and Google Voice only will install to the phone's ROM.

Stay tuned for the MagicJack Android app.... biggrin.png

The netTalk app seems to get pretty poor end-user reviews both on iTunes and PlayStore.

It might be nice if this app. could use your SIP credentials, even for an extra fee, thereby allowing one to both make and receive calls with an iPhone or Android device. I am pretty sure the magicJack Android app. will be the same, which is too bad. But free is always good.

Here's hoping Google Voice extends their free service beyond "the end of 2012".

I've been running GrooVeIP non-stop for ~ 12 days, both in the U.S. and now back in Thailand, switching between 3G (DTAC/Happy) and many, many WiFi networks. Still no issues with maintaining constant connectivity and making/receiving calls. Maybe my SGS2/Android 4.0 just has better application management? I think the call quality is so good because GoogleVoice uses G.711. Of course this uses a lot of bandwidth so a potential drawback when in 3G. GrooVeIP does have a ton of optional tuning parameters but I've just been using the default settings. Finally with GrooVeIP on my android phone I love the portability to both make and receive free calls to/from the U.S. and Canada anywhere, so now I just don't use my magicJack anymore.

BTW, with the GoogleVoice SMS functionality you can receive a standard SMS - this is not possible with magicJack/netTalk Duo obviously - and you can reply, for free via GMail, which is handy.

Lastly, as you may be aware magicJack voicemails can be forwarded as WAV files attached in an email. On my Android phone I use Remote Wave to play these; it is the only app. I've found to date which can play these WAV files on my Android phone(s).

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.toremote.audio.waveplayer&hl=en

Finally with GrooVeIP on my android phone I love the portability to both make and receive free calls to/from the U.S. and Canada anywhere, so now I just don't use my magicJack anymore.

vs.

Lastly, as you may be aware magicJack voicemails can be forwarded as WAV files attached in an email. On my Android phone I use Remote Wave to play these.

So regarding MagicJack, is it using or not using, Loma? You seem to be a bit variable on that point. smile.png

I've been running GrooVeIP non-stop for ~ 12 days, both in the U.S. and now back in Thailand, switching between 3G (DTAC/Happy) and many, many WiFi networks. Still no issues with maintaining constant connectivity and making/receiving calls. Maybe my SGS2/Android 4.0 just has better application management?

Could be. I even tried a separate power/battery saver App yesterday called Easy Battery Saver which seems to be one of the top battery saver apps right now. It didn't help at all...in fact some of the battery saver modes which focus management on the wifi/data modes made the problem worst in that they would just turn off the Wifi which completely breaks the GrooVeIP connection. Buy hey, battery saver apps are really nothing more than a program that turns off and on functions/capabilities on your phone like Wifi, data, screen, bluetooth, etc., based on certain criteria...nothing magic about them....really just automates what a person can do manually. I think my GrooVeIP problem it just incompatibility between my phone, Samsung Galaxy Ace II (which came out early this year) running Android 2.3.6 and GrooVeIP. The GrooVeIP website talks about issues with other phones, so hopefully a future update of the App will fix my issue....the GrooVeIP folks sure now about it since I had about a half dozen emails back and forth with them. I sure would like to get it to work properly for inbound calls, but I just can't...and I can't think of any more things/settings to try. GrooVeIP is a nice App; I just can't get it to work correctly on my phone.

Finally with GrooVeIP on my android phone I love the portability to both make and receive free calls to/from the U.S. and Canada anywhere, so now I just don't use my magicJack anymore.

vs.

Lastly, as you may be aware magicJack voicemails can be forwarded as WAV files attached in an email. On my Android phone I use Remote Wave to play these.

So regarding MagicJack, is it using or not using, Loma? You seem to be a bit variable on that point. smile.png

Two points really...I have given my MJ number out to a lot of people, contacts and associated it with many accounts. Hence I receive a lot of in-bound calls which, because of the time difference, end up going to voice-mail, still. I booted MJ today, the last time I booted it was May 28, but I still get a ton of voice-mails. Does that qualify as using it? Yeah, I guess so, but I return calls via GrooVeIP. And I thought others here would appreciate a recommendation for an Android app. which can play MJ voice-mails, delivered via email as WAV attachments, hence the mention.

Many of us are not at home all the time to answer our MJ calls, and I know I have fielded some urgent/timely MJ voice-mails which I only got as email delivered to my Android phone. This is a cool feature of MJ, and is also available with Google Voice of course. Google Voice's speech to text voice-mail feature is not available with MJ. Google Voice uses the slightly more standard mp3 format for voice-mails, while the MJ WAV files are a bit more challenging to handle on Android. AFAIK, Remote Wave is the only free app. which can play them

Being tied down to my magicJack, at home with an internet connection with a POTs phone hanging off it, now after having the freedom and flexibility with GrooVeIP is bit like going back to a POTs phone after using a mobile.

Hope that clears up any confusion on your part. :)

I download the full/paid version of GrooVeIP about an hour ago...it's version V 1.2.23 and some googling showed this is around the 10th version update. For GrooVeIP Lite (the free version) the latest version was V 1.0.5 which I was running. In seeing the paid/full GrooVeIP had had numerous more version updates I was hoping it would fix my inbound call problem.

OK, GrooVeIP is now installed...I don't make any changes to the default settings...fire it up, it logs into my GoogleVoice account. I immediately make an outbound call...no problem; and make an inbound call from my NetTalk number: GrooVeIP works...cool I got some hope.

So, since my problem with inbound calls always started at some point after 5 minutes of the phone being in idle, I wait 6 minutes and make an inbound call...the phone rings...good feeling...hope rises. I then put the phone down, it goes into idle, and I wait 7-8 minutes before making the next inbound call...the phone rings...hope rises more. I then put the phone down, it goes into idle, and I wait 9 minutes before making the next inbound call...the phone don't ring...hope falls...I call again...phone still don't ring....hope falls more. I exit GrooVeIP and immediately open it again...make inbound call and phone rings.

So, at this point the paid version of GrooVeIP has not fixed my problem. I'll go through the various settings in GrooVeIP to see if any help...but my hopes are not high. If the problem continues with the paid GrooVeIP version at least I know my problem is not related to using the free GrooVeIP Lite version.

Edited by Pib

Played with the paid/full GrooVeIP settings last night for a few hours and then doing more inbound call tests....I'm now an expert with the various GrooVeIP settings. Continued to have the same problem in the paid GrooVeIP version as the free GrooVeIP Lite version in not responding to incoming calls after the phone goes into idle for at least 5 minutes...my other Apps that are connecting to/using the internet in the background while the phone is in idle continue to work past the 5 minute point...continue to work as normal hours and hours later. It's probably just some incompatibility problem between my Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 on Android 2.3.6 and GrooVeIP...maybe a conflict with other programs like Gmail running in the background...hard telling. The more testing I do the more I'm now on the side of the fence that the GrooVeIP app maintains the connection with GoogleVoice server but the GrooVeIP app just don't fully wake-up to an inbound call when the phone has been in idle for a while. But with the paid GrooVeIP version having the proximity sensor support activated that is nice as I don't have to worry about my smartphone screen touching the side of my face/ear and causing GrooVeIP to hang-up.

Made more outbound calls/tests last night and this morning to the U.S. East Coast and Hawaii landlines/mobile phone numbers using both the GrooVeIP and NetTalk applications. Both worked fine with very good call quality...and actually I would make the first call with one of the applications and then immediately call back the same individual using the other application to hear and ask my friend on the other end how was the sound quality....we couldn't tell any difference in sound quality between the two apps. In fact, as I write this post, my wife is over an hour into a call to a friend in Hawaii...hopefully they won't talk all day.

I'll continue to use the GrooVeIP App since GoogleVoice which GrooVeIP works through don't seem to have a call limit per call or number of minutes per month...but a person needs a GoogleVoice number to use GrooVeIP. Plus, GrooVeIP is a smaller App than the NetTalk app which could be a factor is your smartphone is short of storage space. But for those folks who don't have a GoogleVoice number and therefore can't use GrooVeIP, then using the NetTalk app which doesn't need another service (like GoogleVoice) to work and allows 30 minutes per call/500 minutes per month is a good choice. If talking to family/friends and getting cut off at 30 minutes a person could just immediately call back and start another 30 minutes of yacking. But getting cut-off at 30 minutes would suck if talking to a customer support rep at company/bank XYZ, having to call back, and start all over with a different rep.

And of course, your results may vary based on your phone, phone operating system/version, Wifi/internet plan, 3G data, etc.

Edited by Pib

^ Sounds like an issue with your phone/network. Have you tried using it on a different network? In a different phone?. Not sure I'd spend that much time trouble-shooting, I just installed the app. and started using it. Obviously GrooVeIP is only usable for those with a Google Voice account. I've used it fine in an SGS1, SGS2 and just recently an SGS3. No problems. Also have several friends, family, colleagues using with various Android phones and no similar issues.

I did use my MJ today, for the first time in ~ 6 weeks to make a call. ;)

I have access to three DSL networks at home, two via WiFi, and obviously 3G, so being able to keep my PC on one network and then using the others for GrooVeIP calling is also a plus for me. Previously I have to pause FTPs when using MJ.

I saw mention of this new Android app., VoX Mobile VoIP, which might be of interest for some? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.voxcorp

^ Sounds like an issue with your phone/network. Have you tried using it on a different network? In a different phone?. Not sure I'd spend that much time trouble-shooting, I just installed the app. and started using it. Obviously GrooVeIP is only usable for those with a Google Voice account. I've used it fine in an SGS1, SGS2 and just recently an SGS3. No problems. Also have several friends, family, colleagues using with various Android phones and no similar issues.

I did use my MJ today, for the first time in ~ 6 weeks to make a call. wink.png

I have access to three DSL networks at home, two via WiFi, and obviously 3G, so being able to keep my PC on one network and then using the others for GrooVeIP calling is also a plus for me. Previously I have to pause FTPs when using MJ.

I saw mention of this new Android app., VoX Mobile VoIP, which might be of interest for some? https://play.google....?id=net.voxcorp

Nope...haven't tried it on another network...I've only got the one internet plan...and both the wife and I have the same model phone. Not rich enough to have multiple interent connections in the home, multiple phone models, etc....oh, you rich people. wink.png

I won't be doing much, if any, additional troubleshooting as I've tried every setting combination in GrooVeIP, settings with my Wifi router, battery/power saver App that I've since uninstalled, the list goes on. Seems it just don't like my Galaxy Ace II. When/if I get a 3G data plan added to my basic plan maybe that will make a difference (but I doubt it).

Hope that clears up any confusion on your part. smile.png

No confusion, Loma... My simple point, I'm sure you understand, is that you're still using your MJ device...even if mostly only for receiving incoming calls via voicemail.

Yes, you do seem to be confused. smile.png I am not really using my MJ "device" anymore, it pretty much remains tucked away in a drawer. But yes, I am still using my MJ number and some of the services almost by default. I just need to transition those contacts from MJ to GV and I'm done.

my phone, Samsung Galaxy Ace II (which came out early this year) running Android 2.3.6

Which version of the Ace II do you have? I8160 or I8160L? Settings, About phone, Model number. And what is the baseband version? Could be something funky in the baseband, or even Android build?

Edited by lomatopo

Which version of the Ace II do you have? I8160 or I8160L? Settings, About phone, Model number. And what is the baseband version? Could be something funky in the baseband, or even Android build?

Model: I8160L, Android Version: 2.3.6, Baseband Version: I8160LDCLF1, Build Number GINGERBREAD.DCLF1

Something is definitely funky somewhere. Although I've only had the phone about two weeks and haven't seriously used a lot of other Apps, the GrooVeIP App is the only App I've had any functional issue with.

• 2 weeks later...

After almost two more weeks of playing with/using GrooVeIP (the paid version) on my home Wifi (TrueOnline DOCSIS/cable 20Mb/2Mb plan) here's my results:

- First, and most importantly, just because the GrooVeIP icon is green indicating a connection to the internet/GoogleVoice, do not, repeat, do not assume GrooVeIP will respond to an inbound call. Over and over in my testing, when I made an inbound call to my GoogleVoice number GrooVeip would not respond/ring. I made the inbound calls using my NetalkDuo device/service/number. GoogleVoice would pickup and let you leave a voicemail, then email to you, but GrooVeIP just never rang. However, if I exit GrooVeip, immediately restart it, and make another inbound call it will respond/ring. I even had my sister on U.S. east coast make some inbounds calls at a designated time--GrooVeIP would not respond. I would get the GoogleVoice missed callemail shortly after she had called. I call the sister back using GrooVeIP and she confirms she just called..I ask her to call me again about one minute after we hangup because I want to exit and reopen GrooVeIP first. She calls back and GrooVeIP rings. This has been my core problem with GrooVeIP, unreliable in responding/ringing to inbound calls, even after trying the different settings in GrooVeIP which apparently can prevent this problem for some phones/networks.

- Second, usually after 5-10 minutes GrooVeIP stops responding to inbound calls, although sometimes it made it to a few hours and one time up to 7 hours. This is with a non-VPN connection.

- Third, using a VPN connection (I use StrongVPN) which gives me a U.S. IP address makes a BIG difference in GrooVeIP's reliability in responding to inbound calls. As long as the VPN connection is not broken, GrooVeIP works like a charm...responds to inbound calls, makes outbound calls, no problems. But, if for some reason your VPN connection breaks for a second and immediately reconnects (I use the 1VPN App to manage my VPN since 1VPN will automatically reestablish a VPN connection if it drops), then you are back to the GrooVeIP giving you the false impression it's online/connected to GoogleVoice due to the green GrooVeIP icon. But unfortunately, although a VPN connection was restablished within second, once again GrooVeIP will not respond to an inbound call, nor make an outbound call, until you exit GrooVeIP and reopen it. I've been able to maintain an unbroken VPN connection for over 24 hours and GrooVeIP worked like a charm during those 24 hours. But in those cases where the VPN connection broke for a few seconds but immediately re-established, GrooVeIP would no longer make or receive calls until you exit it and reopen it.

- Fourth, tried every setting in GrooVeIP, all kinds of Wifi router settings with no improvements in GrooVeIP call reliability. The default settings for GrooVeIP work just as good as trying many tweaks to the settings.

- Fifth, absolutely no issues with the inbound or outbound call quality...calls to/from the U.S. east coast sound like the other person is just across the soi.

In closing, in my GrooVeIP testing on my home Wifi system here in Bangkok (I don't have mobile data plan yet) using VPN which gives me a U.S. IP address was the only way to get GrooVeIP to reliably respond/ring to inbound calls, but as mentioned, a person would need to check notifications on the phone to ensure the VPN connection had not been loss for a few seconds, otherwise the GrooVeIP green icon didn't mean anything other than GrooVeIP was still running, but really didn't have an actual connection with GoogleVoice anymore. I would just recommend to anyone using GrooVeIP, especially when outside the US/Canada, to not assume a green icon means the App is connected to GoogleVoice, but to do plenty of inbound test calls to confirm/test GrooVeIP's operation. Your results may vary....my results may purely be related to my network connection. I will continue to use GrooVeIP just for the outbound call capability.

fyi, I saw an advertisement and signed up over the weekend for what appears to be a new Android and IOS mobile apps service from Vonage that is free -- specifically up to 3,000 minutes of free OUTBOUND calls per month to any mobile and landline numbers in the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico.

I went thru the setup process on my Android phone, and the Vonage setup didn't mind that I was using a Thailand mobile number. There's an in-app registration process where you enter your mobile number, and then the automated Vonage system calls you back and reads you over the phone a number code you have to enter into the app to activate the service. Did that and everything set up fine.

A couple of pertinent things to note about this Vonage offer:

--previously the free calling was only to other Vonage users. Now, as stated above, it's to any landline or mobile in the specified areas.

--you don't have to be a paid Vonage VOIP subscriber to take advantage of the Android/IOS offer.

--I didn't find, in a quick perusal, any detail about how long Vonage would be continuing this free calling offer.

--The Vonage info specifically said if you want to receive INCOMING calls via their system on your Android or IOS phone, you'd need to sign up for one of their regular paid services.

As far as techie stuff is concerned, even though the stated size of the Android app isn't that big, when it installed on my ICS phone, the app ended up taking up about 18 MB of system ROM, and became the second largest ROM-only app on my phone, just behind the NetTalk app at about 20 MB. I uninstalled the NetTalk app for now to make room for the Vonage app. The Vonage app is available from the Google Play online store.

And at least on my non-rooted ICS Android phone, I couldn't move the Vonage app to my SD card. It only would install and reside on my phone's ROM, just the same as the NetTalk app.

post-58284-0-26574000-1343054691_thumb.j

GrooVeIP continues to work absolutely brilliantly for me. I transition across ~ 5 different (all True) DSL networks (via WiFi) and the DTAC 3G network and have no issues. I have missed one or two calls, which I am pretty sure occurred during times when I had no 3G - driving from Bangkok to Hua Hin and back - but I did get GV vmail notification nearly instantaneously so not a huge issue. Obviously magicJack cannot address this sort of mobility - maybe if they allowed usage of one's SIP credentials, even for an additional fee, I might choose to continue with mJ but this is perhaps not their market/niche?

FWIW, there is no guarantee Google will extend their free promotion of GoogleVoice beyond 31 Dec. 2012.

Still no word on the mJ Android app., although I assume it will be a clone of their iPhone app. with limited, free outbound calling only, which is subject to bandwidth availability?

mJ is also lagging on the WiFi front, playing catch up to the netTALK DUO WiFi device. http://www.nettalk.com/duowifi mJ have announced an intent to offer a similar product.

--The Vonage info specifically said if you want to receive INCOMING calls via their system on your Android or IOS phone, you'd need to sign up for one of their regular paid services.

And that monthly cost would be a minimum of approx $17. For a while I was on their lowest cost plan of $9.99/month, but when the federal/state taxes and other fees were added in it's real/final cost per month is very close to $17 (it will vary slightly depending on what U.S. stateside address you signup under since state taxes/fees will vary a little). But having another App/service to do outbound calls for free like the NetTalk App is a good thing.

And that monthly cost would be a minimum of approx $17. For a while I was on their lowest cost plan of $9.99/month, but when the federal/state taxes and other fees were added in it's real/final cost per month is very close to $17 (it will vary slightly depending on what U.S. stateside address you signup under since state taxes/fees will vary a little). But having another App/service to do outbound calls for free like the NetTalk App is a good thing.

I just downloaded and activated the Vonage App...no problems in this process. However, when dialing a U.S. number directly from my Contacts I get the Vonage recording saying Invalid Phone Number, Please Dial a Valid Phone Number. Ok, since the Vonage App automatically sucked in/sync'ed my contacts into the Vonage App and since my U.S. numbers in my Contacts just include 1(area code) Rest of the number since I was using the GrooVeIP and NetTalk App, I think maybe the Vonage App needs the + symbol entered first to signify an international call...so I enter + and manually dial the full number and the call goes through...right now I can't see where I can edit the number in only my Vonage Contacts to include a + symbol without updating my master Contacts...I'll look some more later.

I called a number/voice recording in Hawaii in several times no problem...listening to the recording the voice quality is OK, but you could hear a few words getting clipped/truncated, but still quite understandable. I then made a few calls to the same number using GrooVeIP and NetTalk App...both of these Apps gave slightly, but noticeable, differences in call quality with the NetTalk App sounding the best. I would rate the call quality in this particular test/snapshot in time as: 1. NetTalk, 2. GrooVeIP, 3. Vonage....but the Vonage call quality was still quite acceptable...just a snapshot in time test...running the test later or to a different number might reverse the results based on "my ear."

Thanks for trying and rating the various apps in comparison, Pib.. Haven't done that as yet, because haven't been making too many mobile calls to the U.S. lately, apart from my reliable MJ ones from home.

In any event, it's GREAT to have an abundance of riches (and choices now) in this regard of free voice and some video calling apps:

MJ, Skype, Google Talk, NetTalk, GrooveIP, Vonage App, Viber, etc etc...

Thanks for trying and rating the various apps in comparison, Pib.. Haven't done that as yet, because haven't been making too many mobile calls to the U.S. lately, apart from my reliable MJ ones from home.

In any event, it's GREAT to have an abundance of riches (and choices now) in this regard of free voice and some video calling apps:

MJ, Skype, Google Talk, NetTalk, GrooveIP, Vonage App, Viber, etc etc...

Big 10-4 on the abundance of Apps now regarding communicating. VOIP services such as Vonage are being forced into developing Apps to hopefully slow down the loss of their home VOIP customers.

Now, with that being said, when it comes annual renewal time for my NetTalk VOIP service, I will definitely be doing that as $30/year (works out to $2.50/mo) for a U.S. landline number of my choosing (and I choose an area/prefix code which makes calling me a free call for many of my U.S. family/friends) is hard to beat...just having that little NetTalkDuo VOIP device hooked between my router and my home cordless phone (just like a Vonage box except much, much smaller) makes calls from Thailand to U.S. (or vice versa) just like I was still in the States. Hey, even my older relatives....some of them in their 80's and have never touched a computer keyboard or owned a cell phone, occassionally call me here in Bangkok...its a free call for them while they are setting in their living room chair watching TV...it's just magic to them to be able to call half-way around the world for free...bless their souls.

Preaching to the choir I know, but I know other folks may be reading this who don't really know what and how simple to use (and how cheap) the NetTalkDuo and MagicJackPlus VOIP adapters are. As for my NetTalk VOIP service, I've been using it going on 4 months now and, knock on wood, its been problem free and 100% reliable for inbound and outbound U.S. calls...and sound quality in both directions is excellent.

Edited by Pib

• 2 weeks later...

It's been almost 4 months since I last checked-in reporting my successful MJ+ installation. Catching up with the posts I realize that I am behind in all the VOIP apps you all mentioned.

Anyway, I want to say that I am quite satisfied with my MJ+. My family and friends in the good old USA love it too. They are thrill to be able to just pick up the phone and call me with no international long distance phone charge. The reverse is also true. The voice quality is also good.

I also want to say that MJ+ must have done some system improvement on their side because I no longer need to muck around with my router/firewall settings. I realize this fact last week when I changed my internet service from CAT CDMA to CAT 3G Myclick. I had to change the router from MBR1000 to DWR-112 because my MBR1000 refused to talk to my new 3G aircard Huawei E353. When my 3G service was successfully activated and in good working state I then connected the MJ+ to the router, swiched on the MJ+ and held my breath. I did the test calls inbound and outbound and my MJ+ was working as normal. I've done nothing to the DWR-112 router to accommodate MJ+ (all factory defaults) and the option at the MJ+ site remains the same as DCHP. Personally, I think the voice quality is also better with the 3G service. I'm thinking of renewing it another year when my free 1-year service is expired next April.

I need to catch up with some (or all) of the VOIP apps mentioned here. I learn a lot from this forum. Thanks much to you all. Cheers.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/762681-magicjack-vocaltec-communications-ceo-discusses-q2-2012-results-earnings-call-transcript

Some interesting info. Obviously MJ, and others, benefit from the FCC-mandated reduced access charges, now $1.50 per year. Still no word on the MJ android app.

Still hoping Google Voice remains "free" in 2013 but we probably won't know until mid-December. I have really gotten used to the portability/flexibility/quality/value add/additional features and functionality of the GrooVeIP solution. Of course the fact that it is free is almost a non-issue. If we could only use our MJ, or NT credentials on an Android phone I'd be happy to pay the annual fee.

Prichard,

I would definitely give GrooVeIP Lite (free App) and/or GrooVeIP (paid version) a try. I tried both. But if you don't have a GoogleVoice number you will first need to sign-up for one. GrooVeIP is a sweet little App that basically provides the interface between your smartphone and the GoogleVoice servers. It may work like a charm for you, but be sure to thoroughly test GrooVeIP "incoming" call reliability. Use your MagicJackPlus number to call your GoogleVoice number to ensure GrooVeIP always responds/rings to incoming calls. That's what I did using my NetTalkDuo number and its how I discovered the problem...also had my sister in the U.S. to make calls to me at various times in during the test. For "outbound" calls I basically had no GrooVeIP issues on non-VPN or VPN connections....and both outbound and inbound call quality was just fine.

As you saw in my posts the inbound call problem was (and still is) my only problem with GrooVeIP in than unless I use a VPN connection usually after 5-10 minutes of starting GrooVeIP the App will not ring to incoming calls although its online status indicator is Green. But with the VPN connection, which gives me a U.S. IP address (I use StrongVPN), GrooVeIP will consistently respond to inbound calls unless my VPN breifly disconnected and reconnected for a few seconds...once again the GrooVeIP status indicater is Green indicating it's ready to respond to inbound calls but it won't. Close GrooVeIP and immediately open it back up and it will respond to inbound calls. For whatever reason that very brief drop in the connection apparently broke the link between GrooVeIP and GoogleVoice although GrooVeIP thinks the link is still there.

I've continued to play/troubleshoot with GrooVeIP for over a month and "in my case" I'm pretty much convinced the GoogleVoice servers sense my non-U.S. IP address when I'm not on VPN and the connection between GoogleVocie and GrooVeIP breaks although GrooVeIP thinks it's still solid. When I say "breaks" I think the GoogleVoice server senses the foreign IP address and drops the connection "unless you are involved in an phone call."

But apparently for others in Thailand who use GrooVeIP with a non-U.S. IP address this doesn't cause a problem....a similar thing seemed to be occurring on another ThaiVisa thread related to GoogleCall where some folks in Thailand would see the GoogleCall in their Gmaill menus where others wouldn't if using a non-VPN connection. To this day Thailand is still not one of the countries on the GoogleVoice list for operations although many in Thailand can get it to fully work without a VPN connection.

If you try GrooVeIP hopefully it will work for you--just be sure to run plenty of inbound call tests at various times after starting up GrooVeiP (i.e, 5 min, 10 minutes, 1 hour, several hours, 12 hours, etc) to ensure GrooVeIP is truly, actually, really responding/ringing for inbound calls. If the inbound call don't ring you can still setup GoogleVoice to immeidately send you an email saying your missed a call...then you can call the person back using GrooVeIP....but for me, I would much rather have the inbound call go through and not having that feeling of "I wonder if GrooVeIP and GoogleVoice still truly have a solid connection regardless of what GrooVeIP indicates.

Yeap, GrooVeIP is a sweet App....just do "inbound" call testing at various periods to ensure the App responds/rings to inbound calls.

In closing, here in Bangkok my NetTalkDuo is still working like a charm....just plugged between my router and my home cordless phone just like a Vonage-type adapter/service...and I have a U.S. number which is just a free, local call for many of my family/friends in the U.S.....just like how you have your MagicJackPlus setup. And I'm hoping the NetTalk smartphone App mentioned in above posts is upgraded to link my NetTalk number/credentials to the App which would allow both unlimited inbound and outbound calls to my smartphone using my NetTalk number...and if I had my smartphone turned off at home my NetTalkDuo device would still ring my home cordless phone...that would indeed be sweet.

Cheers,

Pib

• 1 month later...

I'm now seeing a MagicJack app for Android in the Google Play store. Haven't installed it as yet...but I see the following info in the app description:

EXISTING CUSTOMERS

If you sign in to magicJack APP with an active U.S. or Canadian phone number on your magicJack account, you may use it to make and receive calls with magicJack APP. You can use the same number on all your magicJack services and devices.

The Android app is free and seems to be getting good ratings among the users who have posted reviews.

There's also the MagicJack app for IPhones and Ipod Touch devices in the Itunes Store.

13 mb of space used just installed now on my Android ICS phone. The app allows moving to SD memory, but may be some issues if you do so... Just entered my MJ account email address and password in setting up the app, and it immediately recognized and filled in my MJ phone number.

The main complaint in quickly reading some of the Google Play store reviews is that the app continues running and there's no easy way in the app, reviewers complained, to close it... Presumably that's so the app continues to make your Android device available for MJ phone calls, incoming or outgoing.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

That's good to hear that MagicJack has provided/upgraded their App which allows current MajicJack users to link their number to the App...make and receive calls.

The NetTalk app is suppose to have that capability soon, but right now a person can only use it to make outbound calls of 30 minutes per call and 50 (fifth) minutes total per month...all free; it use to be 500 minutes per month and 20 or 30 minutes per call until a recent App ugrade. I guess too many people started using it just to make 500 minutes worth of free calls per month. You can tell from the reviews of the App that this really PO'ed off a lot of folks when they went from 500 minutes to 50 minutes when using the free App...now they get less for free.

I still have the App on my Samsung phone and use it for test calls every once in a while. Calls go through fine and clear. Waiting for the next pending App upgrade and according to the Nettalk website, they are suppose to release an upgrade to the App soon allowing your NetTalk number to be linked to the App and then use the App to make and receive unlimited calls. Below is a screen capture on the pending upgrades:

post-55970-0-22606900-1348232167_thumb.j

My NetTalkDuo is still working fine...clear outbound and inbound calls. Makes it feel like family and friends in the U.S. are just across the street...for me to call them or for them to call me for free. Great service for unlimited outbound and inbound calls for only $3.50/month when renewing. Looking forward to the upgrade of the NetTalk App. Hopefully release of the MagicJack App allowing a person's number to be linked to the App will speed up the release of the NetTalk App which will allow a person's number to be linked to the App. Gotta keep up with the competition.

I still can't get the GrooVeIP App using my GoogleVoice number to respond to "inbound" calls after the phone has been idle for approx 5-10 minutes unless using a VPN connection...and as before if the VPN connection happens to drop and automatically reconnect the GrooVeIP App still indicates it has a solid connection and will respond to inbound calls but it don't respond....I have to close the App and reopen it to make it work again. Oh well...but it's still great to use for outbound calls using my GoogleVoice number. Still waiting for the GoogleVoice announcement as to whether they'll continue to offer the GoogleVoice number service for free past 31 Dec 12.

Thanks for the heads up.

How does mJ route incoming calls? To your mJ (+) first, then to the Android app./device?

Does it work over 3G? WiFi only?

Says it works on WiFi and LTE - seems OK at first blush, but not obvious way to close the app.

And still not sure what happens if you have your mJ device on-line? I assume your Android device would get automatically logged off?

Edited by lomatopo

I haven't had an incoming call yet with the MJ Android app installed...so I can't speak to that question. My guess is that both one's MJ phone and desktop apps would ring simultaneously. But that's just my guess at this point.

As I mentioned above, no easy way to close the MJ Android app (other than by force closing it in the Android settings menu) is one of the things the various reviewers complained about. But as I mentioned above, presumably, MJ designed the app that way because users "might" want to have the app always on to ensure it is available for incoming calls. Of course, some users might NOT want that, to save battery life or for other reasons.

As for having the Android app along with the MJ app running on your computer (or elsewhere), that doesn't seem to be any problem or conflict. In fact, the text for the MJ app in the Google Play store says you can have any/all of them running at the same time. And indeed right now, I have the MJ app running on both my Android phone and Windows PC at the same time with the same MJ account, and both seem fine.