Applications For Permanent Residency Open Until 30 Dec.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Besides the huge amount of paperwork a huge amount of money is needed.

Forget it!

You need a "sponsor".

Otherwise, byebye money

The fee is around the 100,000 baht or 200,000 baht depending as I gather on your marital status.

You must be able to speak Thai.

I think 1900 baht per year is much more priceworthy

Edited by hansnl

And what are supposed to be the REAL advantages of having a residence permit in Thailand (compared to a 1 year extension)? I can see just a sure loss of more than 100,000 baht.....

No need for 90-day reporting.

Just appear in person at your local police station with a new photograph every five years (plus yearly re-entry from immigration if traveling abroad).

This is the only advantage in exchange of 100,000 baht

Use the Thai national lines at the airport.

Oh yes, this is definitively a big advantage....

Practically, it is the only real stepping stone to full nationality in most case (which comes with a host of other advantages).

Not even if they pay 1,000,000 baht to me.

No visa runs.

1 year extension doesn't require any visa run as well

No need to keep a particular sum of money in your bank account for retirement visa.

I need the money in the bank if I want to live....anyway....

No need to have a job or Thai spouse for B or O visas.

I have a Thai spouse already.

No need to worry about a possible crackdown on ED visas or multiple tourist visa holders.

No worry for crackdown on foreigners legally married with Thai.

If you're working, you don't have to leave the country if you lose your job.

Work permit approval is virtually automatic.

If you lose your job you can stay as a retired person if over 50, if not you better find another job regardless of your living place; if you don't need to work then why the hell you should need a residence permit?

Your status can only be revoked by someone at Minister level, for doing something really obtuse or criminal.

It IS permanent, as long as you don't do something obtuse or criminal or stay out of the country for more than a year at a time.

As well as a 1 year extension

Worth it or not? Up to you.

Therefore you pay 100,000 baht to save 200/300 baht a year to send the form by registered mail every 3rd month.

Good deal indeed.....

As a now/retired, under 50 individual with no Thai wife, it was an excellent deal for me. Especially since I planned to apply for Thai citizenship -- which I did and received.

If you're happy with your Thai wife, with zero chance of a divorce or her dying before you, and feel secure that immigration won't dream up new regulations to make the lives of retirees, syudents, or foreigners married to Thais more difficult in the future -- then you're right: not a good deal FOR YOU.

For me, it was one if the best deals ever.

UK citizens might want to take into account that if you have residence in a non EU country by dint of authorised residency or granted citizenship and you return to your home country to avail yourself of it`s free healthcare you`ll end up with a potentially whopping treatment bill. If you are a UK citizen and reside in Thailand on a visa the UK can`t charge you for healthcare as I discovered when I needed prolonged and expensive treatment that my insurance here wouldn`t reach. I still pay voluntary National Insurance contributions by the way. The UK government is aware if you have residency or dual citizenship. I`ve been here a very long time time and speak, read and write Thai and am married to a Thai but I`ve never ever wanted to be a Thai and there is no benefit to my being a pretend Thai either. Don`t kid yourself, you`ll always be a farang. As the old saying goes - If a dog is born in a stable it doesn`t make it a horse. Residency and citizenship might work for some people and you can`t knock them for having aspirations but for a lot of people Retirement and Spouse visa are the better option.

wow.... what are the requirements?

thanks for the share

To read Thai...hehe

Chinese / Japanese are exponentially more difficult. There are at least 1700 different characters to master for a very basic ability, whereas Thai only has about 66 plus a few tone markers and assorted symbols. Thai is fascinating and worthwhile learning if not for only intellectual/academic interest. It also helps a great deal in everyday life.

Edited by atyclb

As a now/retired, under 50 individual with no Thai wife, it was an excellent deal for me. Especially since I planned to apply for Thai citizenship -- which I did and received.

If you're happy with your Thai wife, with zero chance of a divorce or her dying before you, and feel secure that immigration won't dream up new regulations to make the lives of retirees, syudents, or foreigners married to Thais more difficult in the future -- then you're right: not a good deal FOR YOU.

Nationalized citizenship can and is revoked all the time in developed countries. In Thailand, even if you have a Thai born lawyer, what chances do you have against the "powers that be" should they wish to revoke it?

Let me clear this up for you. You only need to know how to speak some Thai as there are two interviews you will need to attend. The requirement for reading and writing only applies to Thai citizenship, but now you only need to be able to read for that one as well.

If you haven't been working on it already you won't make the deadline before the end of the year as it takes quite some time to prepare everything.

Below is everything you need to know.................

Information for Permanent residence in Thailand by Yearly Quota

* 100 persons for each nationality and 50 persons for stateless people *

Qualification of applicants

1. Being the holder of passport of one’s current nationality except for those who are identified as stateless people.

2. Possesses Non-Immigrant visa and until the date of application submission, was permitted to stay in the Kingdom for at least 3 consecutive years.

3. The applicant must reveal information on his/her income, assets, knowledge, vocational ability, and family status in terms of connection with Thai national conditions on national security or others as deem appropriate for the consideration.

4. The applicant must be able to understand and speak Thai language.

5. The applicant who is over 14 years old is subject to criminal record check according to the following process:

5.1 Fingerprint along with identity information of the applicant will be forwarded to the Criminal Record Division, Royal Thai Police for investigation to find whether the applicant has criminal record or not.

5.2 The criminal record certifying letter handed - in by the applicant will be examined.

5.3 Investigation through a watch list system of the Immigration Bureau will me made to determine whether the applicant is a prohibited person (persona non grata) according to the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 or not.

5.4 Investigation will be made through the Foreign Affairs Division, Royal Thai Police to determine whether the applicant is a wanted person according to the warrants issued by the ICPO-Interpol or not.

Categories of application

1. Investment

2. Employment

3. Humanitarian reasons as follows:

3.1 Spouse: To provide patronage or to be under patronage of a Thai national spouse,

3.2 Child: To provide patronage or to be under patronage of a Thai national father or mother,

3.3 Father or mother: To provide patronage or to be under patronage of the applicant’s Thai national child,

3.4 Spouse: To provide patronage or to be under patronage of the applicant’s spouse who was granted with residential permit,

3.5 Child: To provide patronage or to be under patronage of the applicant’s father or mother who was granted with residential permit,

3.6 Father or mother: To provide patronage or to be under patronage of the applicant’s child who was granted with residential permit.

4. Expert

5. Extra circumstances on a case by case basis.

Applications Consideration

1. The applications will be submitted for the consideration by the Immigration Commission which consists of the representatives from the Interior Ministry, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Royal Thai Police Headquarters, the Ministry of Labor, the Supreme Attorney, the Board of Investment, the Security State Council, the Tourist Authority of Thailand, and the Immigration Bureau with the final approval by the Interior Minister.

2. To grant approval for the residence permit application, the Immigration Commission

will take into its consideration the applicants qualifications in terms of income, assets,

knowledge, professional expertise, relationship with a Thai citizen, a national security,

personality, health, the understanding of Thai language, and other appropriate conditions

due to current economic and social surroundings and government policy.

3. Timing for the consideration process varies each year, depending on the policy of the

Immigration Commission and the Interior Ministry

Fees

1. A non-refundable fee for each application is Baht 7,600

2. If the application is approved, the fee for the residence permit is Baht 191,400.

However, the residence permit fee for spouses and children (under 20 years of age) of

Thai citizens or alien who already had the residence permit is Baht 95,700.

General List of Documents for Permanent Residence

1. Application form for Permanent Residence – TM. 9

2. Personal Information form as required by Immigration Bureau and the applicant’s portfolio includes detail information about family background, knowledge and ability, working experience, special ability, social work, work place, residence together with photo – using the A 4 document folder.

3. Medical Certificate from a hospital, issued within the previous 3 months prior to the application submission date, certify that the applicant is free from the prohibited diseases as required by the Immigration Act 2522 ( Leprosy, Turberculosis TB, Elephantiasis, Drug addiction, Alcoholism and Syphilis )

4. A map of residence and place of work.

5. Certificate of no criminal record from the applicant’s domicile must be officially certified by Thai consulate in that country then translate into Thai language (must show the details of the translator – name and address which can be verified later by the Immigration Bureau) and certified by the applicant’s Embassy in Thailand and Consul Dept. of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Thailand.

6. The applicant’s Educational Certificates translates into Thai language (must show the details of the translator – name and address which can be verified later by the Immigration Bureau) and certified by the applicant’s Embassy in Thailand and Consul Dept. of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Thailand.

7. The family documents e.g. Marriage Certificate, Birth Certificates, Identification Card, House Registration Book must be officially certified the official units concerned.

8. Work Permit Book with a copy of all pages.

9. Passport Book with a copy of all pages indicated the duration of stay in Thailand at least 3 consecutive years.

10. A copy of bank account book, fix account with at least 6 digits preferred, certified by the bank and the original letter of confirmation on the status of that account. This is just in case of support Thai family and experts.

11. The employment certification letter from the employer gives details information about the applicant’s work, duration of work, monthly salary etc.

12. The applicant’s annual Personal Income Tax Form (Por Ngor Dor 91 or 90) with receipts for the previous 3 years prior to the application submission year and must be officially certified by the revenue officers.

13. The applicant’s monthly Income Tax Form (Por Ngor Dor 1) with receipts from January until the previous month of application submission and must be officially certified by the revenue officers.

14. The Affidavit with objectives of the company for the previous 3 years and must be officially certified by MOC.

15. List of Shareholders of the company for the previous 3 years and must be officially certified by MOC.

16. A copy of Certificate of Incorporation, VAT, Por Por 01,09, 20

17. A copy of Financial Statement for the previous 3 years must be officially certified by MOC.

18. A copy of the Corporate Income Tax Form (Por Ngor Dor 50) with receipts for the previous 3 years and must be officially certified by the revenue officers.

Far to much to organise is 6 days.

No Thanks, a few years ago I looked into this, you get a small red book, and you STILL have to report to immigration every year!

Incorrect---you need to renew your red book every 5 years at the Police District. You're only interaction with Immigration is if you want to leave the country and get a Re-Entry Visa

Absolutely correct.

A new photo is required at 5 yearly intervals and the fee for renewing for 5 years is 800bt.

And the '5 year' reporting is nothing more than just reporting, there's no application and approval process. You report with a new photo, and the fee, and the policeman or in some places a police clerk, just make a quick entry in your red police book.

Years back I asked politely why I had to keep reporting every 5 years. I got two answers (two cops sitting behind the same desk area):

1. So that the police have an up to date address.

2. 'After ... years (I forget the number) of not getting another 5 year renewal, the local police assume you have died'.

Every time I have done the 1 year then 5 year reporting the cops / admin clerk have been very polite and completed the simple process very quickly.

Nationalized citizenship can and is revoked all the time in developed countries. In Thailand, even if you have a Thai born lawyer, what chances do you have against the "powers that be" should they wish to revoke it?

There are exactly zero circumstances under which my citizenship might be revoked.

The usual negative comments from those that havnt the slightest idea....good luck to anyone that applies and congrats to those already granted.........I know a few that have and it isnt the Everest that most think it is, although apps since 2006 have been suspended

So if applications have been suspended for 5 years does that mean they can grant 5 yrs worth (500 apps) or is it 100 for the 5 yrs? 20 per year.

The usual negative comments from those that havnt the slightest idea....good luck to anyone that applies and congrats to those already granted.........I know a few that have and it isnt the Everest that most think it is, although apps since 2006 have been suspended

So if applications have been suspended for 5 years does that mean they can grant 5 yrs worth (500 apps) or is it 100 for the 5 yrs? 20 per year.

They can grant five years' worth. It's based on the year of application. The quota is a complete non-issue for all nationalities except Chinese or Indian. If you are qualified, you will get it. Ignore the hogwash above about having to spend lots of money (other than the official fee) or having a "sponsor". Those are purely ignorant statements. I did not have a sponsor or spend a satang more than the official fee (which was luckily before it was increased -- see? never wait...if you want it and you can do it, do it now).

There are exactly zero circumstances under which my citizenship might be revoked.

I am not necessarily referring to you or your citizenship

Is this a typo? "As always a maximum of 100 persons per nationality can apply, while their are also 52 slots for stateless people." The way this reads is that they will only accept 100 applications per nationality. Of the 100 people who apply from each nationality, how many will be granted permanent residency?

Or should it read, that a maximum of 100 applicants per nationality will be granted permanent residency?

Is this a typo? "As always a maximum of 100 persons per nationality can apply, while their are also 52 slots for stateless people." The way this reads is that they will only accept 100 applications per nationality. Of the 100 people who apply from each nationality, how many will be granted permanent residency?

Or should it read, that a maximum of 100 applicants per nationality will be granted permanent residency?

Indeed it should be a maximum of 100 PR applications per nationality can be approved.

wow.... what are the requirements?

thanks for the share

To read Thai...hehe

Chinese / Japanese are exponentially more difficult. There are at least 1700 different characters to master for a very basic ability, whereas Thai only has about 66 plus a few tone markers and assorted symbols. Thai is fascinating and worthwhile learning if not for only intellectual/academic interest. It also helps a great deal in everyday life.

It always surprises me that so few foreigners learn to read Thai. It's not really all that difficult - I never took a single formal lesson, I learnt by reading roadsigns etc..

When living in Thailand it make a huge difference to be able to read - even simple things like menus, shop signs, traffic signs etc. etc..

Patrick

One weeks notice and to prepare, I get the feeling that they are not really serious about accepting permanent residents and it is just a token gesture. The Thai olympics, On your marks, get set, oh sorry to late. Why not run a competition? In two (2) words or less explain in detail why you would like to be chosen to become a permanent resident of Thailand.

I guarantee you there will be hundreds and hundreds of people making the deadline. None of those will be people who waste time griping on web boards about something they'll never end up doing.

I would be interested to know where do you get your information from -" I guarantee you there will be hundreds and hundreds of people making the deadline.'

My understanding is that the 100 per nationality is the maximum - in reality each nationality has a quote applied each application time for example US might be 5 UK might be 10 Germany might be 5 etc. these are application numbers certainly not approval numbers, approval numbers are very few and vary each application period "PR" is not welcomed by the Thai Government.

Thai PR is a pipe dream for the majority whistling.gif Many have asked about the requirements what they need to look at is the costs and benefits ??

Edited by mijan24

The reality is probably this. A large number will apply, and they'll choose only those who pay large sums under the table. Of those, those who pay the most will be chosen.

I've lived here 27 years and never felt the need to waste time and money on this residency visa. I know people who have been waiting for 4-5 years and who have paid the bribe as well. The annual renewal with a fee of 1,900 Baht is fine for me.

Everybody is so upset in Europe about the immigrants not integrating into European societies......so what have YOU done to integrate in to the Thai society? Some guys even object to the permanent residence documents being in Thai. And so they should be! And there should be a compulsary langauge test too! This is THAILAND if you haven't noticed. How many of you guys so-called "living" here have made a really big effort to learn the language? It is not that difficult, much easier than any European language. So get your butts off the bar stools, learn the lingo and start LIVING in THAILAND, not "little Englands" or "little Deutschlands" here.

The reality is probably this. A large number will apply, and they'll choose only those who pay large sums under the table. Of those, those who pay the most will be chosen.

This is completely untrue! None of the people I know who got it, including myself, paid anything under the table to anyone.

Is your statement actually based on any knowledge or experience?

I've lived here 27 years and never felt the need to waste time and money on this residency visa. I know people who have been waiting for 4-5 years and who have paid the bribe as well. The annual renewal with a fee of 1,900 Baht is fine for me.

In my experience the vast majority of those who say they won't waste the time or money (or similar), don't qualify anyway.

The most obvious advantage is cast iron security of residence.Annual renewals don't provide that

It's not an option for retired people who have never worked legally here and paid tax.Camerata's guide is definitive.

There are no bribes involved, and actually I rather resent the lazy and ignorant foreign view that everything in Thailand can be brought under the table.It's a smear on the many excellent and honest officials at Immigration.

• Like 1

In my experience the vast majority of those who say they won't waste the time or money (or similar), don't qualify anyway.

The most obvious advantage is cast iron security of residence.Annual renewals don't provide that

It's not an option for retired people who have never worked legally here and paid tax.Camerata's guide is definitive.

There are no bribes involved, and actually I rather resent the lazy and ignorant foreign view that everything in Thailand can be brought under the table.It's a smear on the many excellent and honest officials at Immigration.

+1

One weeks notice and to prepare, I get the feeling that they are not really serious about accepting permanent residents and it is just a token gesture. The Thai olympics, On your marks, get set, oh sorry to late. Why not run a competition? In two (2) words or less explain in detail why you would like to be chosen to become a permanent resident of Thailand.

I guarantee you there will be hundreds and hundreds of people making the deadline. None of those will be people who waste time griping on web boards about something they'll never end up doing.

Well said. A newly minted breath of fresh air.