Totster

Hi,

My Avatar has disappeared after the upgrade, and when I try to either upload from my computer or from URL it fails.

Have the settings been changed in some way (i.e file size)?

I have always used the URL method which uses a 3rd party host like photobucket, but cannot see this option now.

I'll look into gravatar in the meantime

totster

(seems there are some smileys missing also)

Could you try uploading it to your TV gallery and linking to it from there?

That would be the same as a remote avatar, which is not available now sad.png

Is it too big tots?

Not sure what the max is - it's 90x90 and 310KB.

I have just uploaded an image to do for now, so it's something specific about my normal avatar that the system doesn't like, quite possibly file size.

totsterbiggrin.png

My animated gif stopped working on the forum too, but was still working on my profile page, so I suspect the avatars on the forum are resized. I successfully changed it for a jpg file uploaded from my computer, but now when I try and change to another jpg it seemingly allows me to - uploading a new image and changing on the profile view, but when I go back to the forum the old jpg is still there. I've tried removing the image, which does remove it from the forum, but when I add a new image it goes back to the original one. The "photo editing" page on my profile shows the one I want, but as soon as I exit it I get the old one back. Any ideas anyone?

My animated gif stopped working on the forum too, but was still working on my profile page, so I suspect the avatars on the forum are resized. I successfully changed it for a jpg file uploaded from my computer, but now when I try and change to another jpg it seemingly allows me to - uploading a new image and changing on the profile view, but when I go back to the forum the old jpg is still there. I've tried removing the image, which does remove it from the forum, but when I add a new image it goes back to the original one. The "photo editing" page on my profile shows the one I want, but as soon as I exit it I get the old one back. Any ideas anyone?

Have a beer. wink.png

Have a beer. wink.png

Have a beer? With a jammed avatar? If only it were so simple. My Christmas is ruined.

Have a beer? With a jammed avatar? If only it were so simple. My Christmas is ruined.

Don't give up hope mate. I understand that Sir Bob Geldoff is looking for a needy cause over Christmas. He did do wonders for the starving in Africa. I see no reason why he wouldn't want to aid in your plight. Give him a shout - after all, he can only say no. wink.png

Edited by rixalex

Animated GIFs are still allowed in emoticons (hit-the-fan.gifpassifier.gifgiggle.gif , etc.), so it seems strange that they'd be intentionally blocked from avatars.

Nice temporary avatar by the way Totster - I had a few pints of that on Xmas eve here in Blightly, lovely stuff. You haven't managed to find it in Thailand, have you?!?!

My animated gif stopped working on the forum too, but was still working on my profile page ... I successfully changed it for a jpg file uploaded from my computer, but now when I try and change to another jpg it seemingly allows me to - uploading a new image and changing on the profile view, but when I go back to the forum the old jpg is still there. I've tried removing the image, which does remove it from the forum, but when I add a new image it goes back to the original one. The "photo editing" page on my profile shows the one I want, but as soon as I exit it I get the old one back. Any ideas anyone?

I am in exactly the same situation as you. Animated gif stopped working so tried several alternatives. Chose one - which shows in my photo editing page - but can't get rid of an earlier test pic. Tried logging out and in ... re-uploading, etc, but no joy.

Edited by chiangmaibruce

so it seems strange that they'd be intentionally blocked from avatars.

I suspect they are not intentionally blocked but the automatic rescaling software is losing the animation information. Think George has it on the list of things to look into.

Animated gif stopped working so tried several alternatives. Chose one - which shows in my photo editing page - but can't get rid of an earlier test pic. Tried logging out and in ... re-uploading, etc, but no joy.

Hi. I am still stuck with this problem. I now have the desired pic/avatar on my profile page so I again attempted to replace the pic that appears when I post (the old test pic). Tried the same procedure that I tried initially but just can't shake it. Any hints?

Animated gif stopped working so tried several alternatives. Chose one - which shows in my photo editing page - but can't get rid of an earlier test pic. Tried logging out and in ... re-uploading, etc, but no joy.

Hi. I am still stuck with this problem. I now have the desired pic/avatar on my profile page so I again attempted to replace the pic that appears when I post (the old test pic). Tried the same procedure that I tried initially but just can't shake it. Any hints?

It can take a few hours or maybe longer, depending on caching on server and your ISP.

i've changed my photo from the skull thing to another design, but when i post i see the skull still and i cannot see where to change the avatar in the profile editing page. i seem to recall having to set the avatar that is displayed on posts in a different place from where the profile photo is changed but i can't find it - it was a while back in the old version and i am wondering if something has changed or am i missing something obvious?

i've changed my photo from the skull thing to another design, but when i post i see the skull still and i cannot see where to change the avatar in the profile editing page. i seem to recall having to set the avatar that is displayed on posts in a different place from where the profile photo is changed but i can't find it - it was a while back in the old version and i am wondering if something has changed or am i missing something obvious?

There are no longer two photo placements (avatar and personal photo) but just the one which is used for both purposes. It sometimes takes time for ISP caches to catchup. Try CTRL+F5 to reload the page.

2nd, the avatar/photo I see on your profile is not allowed as it is a QR code and especially since it is going to a fund raising site. So, you need to select a different one and try again.

There are no longer two photo placements (avatar and personal photo) but just the one which is used for both purposes. It sometimes takes time for ISP caches to catchup. Try CTRL+F5 to reload the page.

2nd, the avatar/photo I see on your profile is not allowed as it is a QR code and especially since it is going to a fund raising site. So, you need to select a different one and try again.

got it, and thank you tywais :)

I uploaded a new photo/avatar yesterday. When I look at my settings, I see the new avatar, but my posts still show the old one.

Size of the new one is 37,599 Bytes.

Nearly always a caching issue either the ISP cache or local cache. Hit the CTRL+F5 keys to reload the page and refresh the local cache. If it doesn't reflect the new avatar then will have to wait for the ISP cache to update which can be 1-3+ days.