Thaksin Not A Threat To Thailand: Fm Surapong

Lite Beer

Thaksin not a threat to Thailand: FM Surapong

The Nation

Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul on Thursday explained his decision to repeal the passport ban for fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, saying he was justified to reissue the passport because Thaksin was not a security threat.

"I don't see Thaksin threatening the country, therefore I lifted the passport ban," he said.

Surapong was speaking in the question-and-answer session rebutting an opposition's motion questioning his judgement on the Thaksin case.

He said his Democrat predecessor Kasit Piromya cited what he saw as Thaksin's threatening activities as ground for the passport ban.

After assuming office, he detected no threats posed by Thaksin, prompting the ban repeal, he said.

The Consular Department subsequently reissued the passport for Thaksin via the Thai Embassy in Abu Dhabi, he said.

He insisted he had acted within his mandate as foreign minister. He said the Democrat-led government made an unfair decision to deny Thaksin his travel document.

"If Thaksin was a threat, then several people should have been fallen under the same category but the previous government just discriminated against him alone," he said.

He also said the Ministry of Foreign Affairs could not cancel the passport just because Thaksin had outstanding arrest warrants.

Under relevant laws, the passport could be recalled only under a combination of two factors - outstanding warrants and a formal ban on travelling abroad issued by law enforcement agencies such as the courts, the prosecutors and the police, he said.

In the Thaksin case, none of the agencies concered had banned his travel despite the arrest warrants issued, he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-12-22

I think whatever technical legal loop-hole is used to justify the decision, to all sane law-abiding people with brains, issuing passports to convicted criminals on the run, whomever they may be, whatever their crime, is stupid and defies all logic.

What a load of crap. You issued his passport because you're in his payroll and are beholden to him.

The FM conveniently forgot to mention or take into account the countries who canceled his visa, although he has been successful on obtaining one visa for his mentor. The FM is following the thinking of Thaksin and cronies. 'We are in charge so all that we do/say is non debatable.

Under relevant laws, the passport could be recalled only under a combination of two factors - outstanding warrants and a formal ban on travelling abroad issued by law enforcement agencies such as the courts, the prosecutors and the police, he said.

In the Thaksin case, none of the agencies concered had banned his travel despite the arrest warrants issued, he said.

I thought banned travel only came into play during the period a person in on bail/undergoing trial like when the judge takes your passport or just orders you can't travel beyond certain limits during the bail/trial period. But in Thaksin's case he's already convicted and is suppose to be serving a 2 year prison term; not out traveling the world.

He isn't a threat to Thailand as long as he gets his way. Beware the consequences if he doesn't. We have already seen what lengths he will go to.

The spat of bombings at bank branches that held Thaksin's frozen assets ended after a secret dealing returned part of the assets to him. Allegedly, of course. It may just had been a coincidence...

Is he saying financially backing terrorists in Thailand is not a threat to Thailand.

Is there not a minimum level of intelligence to hold a ministerial job?

Not saying any one is six bricks short of a load just wondering.

W

Well you see, he owns the government at the moment,

so the current government thinks that THEY are Thailand,

and he is NOT threatening the government he owns,

so he's not a threat to Thailand.

Anyone else, well it does not matter if THEY feel threatened.

They aren't Thailand, they only live there.

See very simple.

Is he saying financially backing terrorists in Thailand is not a threat to Thailand.

Is there not a minimum level of intelligence to hold a ministerial job?

Not saying any one is six bricks short of a load just wondering.

From some of the statements/actions, it may be the minimum and maximum are both in the 70 range, on their good days.

Thaksin is a threat to the old school power elite. He is a threat to those who despise him, the fat cats that run the show out here. He has learned from them and wants a piece of the action. The threat is this, that once he returns will he stop helping himself and family gain fame, power and fortune and instead concentrate on the well being of the unfortunate lower classes of Thailand?

Interesting to see this topic from 13:53 "Thaksin not a threat to Thailand: FM Surapong" was followed by a new topic 17:50 "Arrest warrant for Thaksin still in effect: DSI"

I guess it's just a matter of 'whatever' and luckily at least one person already had his New Year present. All those others who don't even want a passport but just a wee bit less water running through their living room, must be a sure threat to Thailand. Why I know? They dare to complain!

Thaksin is a threat to the old school power elite. He is a threat to those who despise him, the fat cats that run the show out here. He has learned from them and wants a piece of the action. The threat is this, that once he returns will he stop helping himself and family gain fame, power and fortune and instead concentrate on the well being of the unfortunate lower classes of Thailand?

And my pig might sprout wings and fly, but I'm not holding my breath while waiting. What great acts of Shinawatra altruism lead you to believe that this is even a remote possibility?

I forgot - the Thaksin Orphanage, the Thaksin Memorial Hospital, The Shinawatra Scholarships - all in Nakhon Nowhere.

Please don't raise Thaksin University, it has no connection AFAIK.

And my pig might sprout wings and fly, but I'm not holding my breath while waiting. What great acts of Shinawatra altruism lead you to believe that this is even a remote possibility?

I forgot - the Thaksin Orphanage, the Thaksin Memorial Hospital, The Shinawatra Scholarships - all in Nakhon Nowhere.

He set up Thaksin university. But it's a business venture, not a charity.

edit: actually, you seem to be right. Thaksin University is in the south and was renamed to that in 1996. I was thinking of some other school that Thaksin set up.

Edited by whybother

SHINAWATRA GOVERNMENT

Ex-PM Thaksin is not a threat to Thailand: FM

THE NATION

30172499-01_big.JPG

Foreign Minister Surapong Towichukchaikul yesterday explained his decision to repeal the passport ban on Thaksin Shinawatra, saying he was justified in reissuing the passport because the fugitive former prime minister was not a security threat.

"I don't see Thaksin threatening the country, therefore I lifted the passport ban," he said. Surapong was speaking during a question-and-answer session rebutting an opposition motion questioning his judgement in Thaksin's case.

He said his Democrat predecessor, Kasit Piromya, cited what he saw was Thaksin's threatening activities as grounds for the passport ban.

After assuming office, he detected no threats posed by Thaksin, prompting a repeal of the ban, he said.

The consular department subsequently reissued a passport for Thaksin via the Thai Embassy in Abu Dhabi, Surapong said.

He insisted he had acted within his mandate as foreign minister. He said the Democrat-led government made an unfair decision to deny Thaksin his travel document.

"If Thaksin was a threat, then several other people should have fallen under the same category, but the previous government only discriminated against him," he claimed. He also said the Foreign Ministry could not cancel the passport just because Thaksin had outstanding arrest warrants.

Under relevant laws, a passport could be recalled only under a combination of two factors - outstanding warrants and a formal ban on travelling abroad issued by law enforcement agencies such as the courts, the prosecutors and the police, he maintained.

In Thaksin's case, none of the agencies concerned had banned him from travelling despite the arrest warrants, he said.

Meanwhile, opposition Democrat MP Virut Kalayasiri said he found that the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) had removed from its computer database information about its warrant for Thaksin's arrest. He said the removal took place recently and that the DSI explained it was upgrading its computer system.

Virut said he would bring the matter to the attention of the National Anti-Corruption Commission next week. "I believe this act was not initiated by bureaucrats. They surely got an order from politicians," he said.

According to the Democrat MP, removal of the information allowed the Foreign Ministry to issue a new passport to the former premier.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-12-23

The Nation

After assuming office, he detected no threats posed by Thaksin, prompting the ban repeal, he said.

The Consular Department subsequently reissued the passport for Thaksin via the Thai Embassy in Abu Dhabi, he said.

Is there any thought on exactly 'when' the Passport was re-issued because this song and dance has been going on for some time now.

On a brighter note ... wishing the staff and contributors and fellow Forum members ... whether I agreed with your opinions or not ... a Happy Christmas and a bright and prosperous New Year.

This will be my first every Christmas actually spent here, the tree is up (all 2 foot of it), the presents wrapped ... just waiting for the Family to arrive on Sunday.

Cheers and Beers

Edit :- font change

Edited by David48

The Nation

Is there any thought on exactly 'when' the Passport was re-issued because this song and dance has been going on for some time now.

It was issued on October 26 after "getting a request" from Thaksin on October 25.

He set up Thaksin university. But it's a business venture, not a charity.

edit: actually, you seem to be right. Thaksin University is in the south and was renamed to that in 1996. I was thinking of some other school that Thaksin set up.

Taksin University is mis-transliterated on the sign,

it's dedicated to Taksin The Great ruler of Siam 800+\- years ago.