BASIC SPONGE CAKE

8oz Flour

8oz Castor Sugar

8oz Butter

4 eggs

2tsp baking powder

Vanilla Essence

Almond Essence

Place all the ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix for about 10 minutes. Line cake tin with greaseproof paper. You can also put butter and flour if you have no greaseproof paper. Pour in the mixture and bake for approximately 1hour or until a skewer comes out clean.

Don’t forget butter and eggs should be room temperature.

Hope this helps.

Dranna you are definitely not a baker.

Put all ingredients and stir. AAAGGGHHH

You need to beat the whites to a soft peak and then fold in the other ingredients gently to get a good sponge.

As for youtube it is like advising people to use search function. There are way too many experts that make awful products out there.

Also if people like eating food from a box, can or premade, then they really are not the ones that should give advice on cooking. You have no taste buds.

Though I don't care for their products go to butter is better, they are friendly nice people at least and would be more help than what you have received for responses here.

• Like 2

Question: to bake reasonable cakes, does one need a proper big (gas or electrical) oven, or would a small table-top unit also work just as well?

It depends on the oven you're putting it in. ;-)

I have a full size oven but have trouble baking a cake in it because it has no real thermostat. I have a large table top toaster oven that works fine. the problem with most toaster ovens is that they are too small for many cake pans or, more importantly, the upper heating element is too close to the cake. Fortunately, in my toaster oven the upper heating element has stopped working. That makes it really difficult to make toast but since the thermostat works perfectly I have no problem baking cakes.

Winnie, I think the deleted comment would have been acceptable in the Gary Glitter thread.

Question: to bake reasonable cakes, does one need a proper big (gas or electrical) oven, or would a small table-top unit also work just as well?

The table-top models works just fine, if they have upper and lower heating elements and a thermostat. smile.png

It depends on the oven you're putting it in. ;-)

I have a full size oven but have trouble baking a cake in it because it has no real thermostat. I have a large table top toaster oven that works fine. the problem with most toaster ovens is that they are too small for many cake pans or, more importantly, the upper heating element is too close to the cake. Fortunately, in my toaster oven the upper heating element has stopped working. That makes it really difficult to make toast but since the thermostat works perfectly I have no problem baking cakes.

Winnie, I think the deleted comment would have been acceptable in the Gary Glitter thread.

Thanks!

(BTW, just to ensure there's no misunderstanding by anyone reading this topic: the deleted comment had nothing to do with child abuse or child sex, but was a pun on learning things from Youtube.com)

The table-top models works just fine, if they have upper and lower heating elements and a thermostat. smile.png

Yes, and if fan-forced, even better. :)

We bought a large-sized HouseWorth to bake cakes and it was absolute rubbish! It wouldn't hold temperatures and only half baked ok when on maximum, possibly due to poor design and no insulation... outside SS skin would fry an egg! Do not buy HOUSEWORTH.

We've recently bought the small-sized Cuizmate fan-forced (Robinsons) and it's great.

Yes, and if fan-forced, even better. smile.png

We bought a large-sized HouseWorth to bake cakes and it was absolute rubbish! It wouldn't hold temperatures and only half baked ok when on maximum, possibly due to poor design and no insulation... outside SS skin would fry an egg! Do not buy HOUSEWORTH.

We've recently bought the small-sized Cuizmate fan-forced (Robinsons) and it's great.

+1 (BTW, we bought the very last Zanussi they had and it's great)

BASIC SPONGE CAKE

8oz Flour

8oz Castor Sugar

8oz Butter

4 eggs

2tsp baking powder

Vanilla Essence

Almond Essence

Place all the ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix for about 10 minutes. Line cake tin with greaseproof paper. You can also put butter and flour if you have no greaseproof paper. Pour in the mixture and bake for approximately 1hour or until a skewer comes out clean.

Hope this helps.

Sorry man,

sponge cake doesn't absolutely need neither butter nor baking powder.

cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Tolstoy,

I beg to differ...

The All-in-One Method: This is a quick and easy way of preparing all types of cakes other than the fatless sponge. As Nuomici is relatively new to baking I thought it would be the most easiest recipe to follow. Also please note I did not write 'stir', but 'mix' preferably with a whisk.Of course there are many other methods notably..

The Creaming Method: This is the traditional method of cake making.

The Rubbing-in Method; This method is not widely used today and only cakes including half or less than half fat to flour are prepared this way.

The Melting Method: This is a very easy method of preparing cakes as a minimum amount of handling is required.

This is the beauty of baking - there are many different recipes and methods. Different horse and different courses.....

Happy Baking everyone !

BASIC SPONGE CAKE

8oz Flour

8oz Castor Sugar

8oz Butter

4 eggs

2tsp baking powder

Vanilla Essence

Almond Essence

Hope this helps.

Actually, this is basically the traditionally recipe for making Victoria Sponge. In the UK, you would use self-raising flour which is flour and baking powder. Where self raising flour isn't available, you have to add the baking powder yourself.

I enjoy eating just the simple box cake mixes that you buy at the store.I've never looked for them at tesco's,big C etc.Being thai's don't use ovens,i'm thinking there isn't A big market for them.

There are box cake mixes available in Big C extra. I haven't looked what varities as I don't have an oven but they are there.

I enjoy eating just the simple box cake mixes that you buy at the store.I've never looked for them at tesco's,big C etc.Being thai's don't use ovens,i'm thinking there isn't A big market for them.

There are box cake mixes available in Big C extra. I haven't looked what varities as I don't have an oven but they are there.

They are also in Tesco