Cold, Cold, Showers

buadhai

i have just paid to install a pump and hot water shower in my house, and the villagers all lined up to come marvel at the weird farang and her eccentricities.  unfortunately, the pump blows out my electricity every time i turn it on, so i seem to have wasted 10000b on nothing. i found out the water supply here is simply the waterfall on the mountain behind, so that might have something to do with it (if no water, the pump is overworked). in this day and age i don't understand why the mostly rich thai people around me have not yet invested in a real water supply system.  but for now, it's back to cold bucket showers for me.

p.s. just thinking, if i do get it to work again, should i worry about shoddy electrical work? i didn't get mine "earthed", whatever that means, and these guys seem to know nothing about hot water systems. can i electrocute myself trying to take a warm shower? suggestions?

Just in case the you don't understand the other advice, if your pump hooks up directly to your water pipe that brings you your water from the street then this is not the correct way to do it usually.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My hot water system broke about 2 mths ago with the onset of the rain and the cooler weather. Same thing happened last year... cold weather, no hot water! :D

My landlord said he'd fix it last month but am still holding my breath under cold showers. The rent is due soon.......... :o

Edited by khall64au

i have just paid to install a pump and hot water shower in my house, and the villagers all lined up to come marvel at the weird farang and her eccentricities.  unfortunately, the pump blows out my electricity every time i turn it on, so i seem to have wasted 10000b on nothing. i found out the water supply here is simply the waterfall on the mountain behind, so that might have something to do with it (if no water, the pump is overworked). in this day and age i don't understand why the mostly rich thai people around me have not yet invested in a real water supply system.  but for now, it's back to cold bucket showers for me.

p.s. just thinking, if i do get it to work again, should i worry about shoddy electrical work? i didn't get mine "earthed", whatever that means, and these guys seem to know nothing about hot water systems. can i electrocute myself trying to take a warm shower? suggestions?

Probably your heater is pulling more power than the fuse can handle. We had to rewire our place when we added alot of new appliances for the kitchen --added a new larger meter and we no longer have that problem. You need to get a real electrician, don't know that Thong Nai Pan has them but there are several very good ones in Ban Tai. PM me if you need a phone number.

And yes, the hot water heater needs to be grounded. All of our major appliances are grounded.

I am tempted to put in a water heater. But, our water pressure is so low that I will also need to put in a tank and a pump and new plumbing.

I did that upcountry. The tank is 1800L, was 18K baht. Then, concrete stilts to elevate it - about 3m, labour and a crane who had to come to lift it up. I think it was altogether 30K baht. Also the pump to fill it up with water, activates when the reserves are 60%.

Instant heater was 2K. The pressure is weak but you can still call it hot shower.

On rare occassions when we go there (NYE), the temperature in mornings could be 3-5C, no way I could bear cold water.

Can't find the photo to post..sorry.

I am tempted to put in a water heater. But, our water pressure is so low that I will also need to put in a tank and a pump and new plumbing.

I did that upcountry. The tank is 1800L, was 18K baht. Then, concrete stilts to elevate it - about 3m, labour and a crane who had to come to lift it up. I think it was altogether 30K baht. Also the pump to fill it up with water, activates when the reserves are 60%.

Instant heater was 2K. The pressure is weak but you can still call it hot shower.

On rare occassions when we go there (NYE), the temperature in mornings could be 3-5C, no way I could bear cold water.

That seems like a very high price upcountry. We just bought a 2,000 liter fiberglass tank in Khon Khen province for 6,000 baht and the two Stainless Steel tanks of 1,250 we have in Bangkok were in the 6-7,000 range (but a few years ago).

thanks so much for the advice people, it really was unexpected and helpful. i am going to get a tank with a floating valve to feed my pump, and possibly re-wire a bit so it stops blowing fuses, and my heater is grounded with a breaker after all so i think it's all good. cheers!

p.s. sbk i might actually PM you some day for an electrician- the ones here seem really airheaded.

Edited by girlx

That seems like a very high price upcountry. We just bought a 2,000 liter fiberglass tank in Khon Khen province for 6,000 baht and the two Stainless Steel tanks of 1,250 we have in Bangkok were in the 6-7,000 range (but a few years ago).

Just asked my gf again...and I stand corrected...

The tank was 12K baht, altogether 22K baht - the tank, materials, stilts, labour, crane, pump, plumbing, heater.

What I really miss is a hot, steaming bath. I had two of them(bath tubs) in my Bangkok apartment, but up here in Isaan they are unheard of.

When I get round to building my own house, that will be one requirements.

To the OP - why not make your own bath tub?

Or buy an electric shower heater - only 2 or 3,000 baht from a supermarket near you.

Cold showers(really cold I mean) do get the circulation going and are good for you(especially hangovers).

When I lived in Nepal, we didn't have hot water, and man was that painful. But following the pain, and when I could finally feel my body again, i felt great!

there is a market for heavy wooden bathtubs just like the heavy tables and chairs they make. just like hewing a wooden canoe out of solid wood .

Even the Thais here laugh at the Chinese frugality..and its a chinese town. If you want to buy anything after 6 pm your first problem is to get them to turn the light on so you can find it...as for cold beer..the shopowner asked me why I no longer bought beer from him..I said I was bored with buying hot beer...7-11 was better...very upset

And I saw those lovely bubbly Spas in BITEC last month...I don't think the electricity or the water supply here could handle it! We have ordinary wall mounted Japanese made hot showers...with litle LCD displays that tell you how hot the water is...but in the evening there is not even enough power to charge the Notebook let alone the shower!

Even the Thais here laugh at the Chinese frugality..and its a chinese town. If you want to buy anything after 6 pm your first problem is to get them to turn the light on so you can find it...as for cold beer..the shopowner asked me why I no longer bought beer from him..I said I was bored with buying hot beer...7-11 was better...very upset

And I saw those lovely bubbly Spas in BITEC last month...I don't think the electricity or the water supply here could handle it! We have ordinary wall mounted Japanese made hot showers...with litle LCD displays that tell you how hot the water is...but in the evening there is not even enough power to charge the Notebook let alone the shower!

What's wrong with the Japanese made/designed wall mounted water heaters? Every household here have them. Whether the equipment are hidden or visible.

Everything is always on, if the utilities are not available it hits the press and news, someone resigns over that.

Perhaps, when you port 1st world goods into a 3rd world country, there may be some problems.

Did you choose to live where you are now? Enjoy.

QUOTE(lopburi3 @ 2005-11-27 19:15:41)

QUOTE(think_too_mut @ 2005-11-27 18:52:19)

QUOTE(buadhai @ 2005-11-27 08:38:32)

The tank was 12K baht, altogether 22K baht - the tank, materials, stilts, labour, crane, pump, plumbing, heater.

10,000 seems very expensive for the labour - In Khon Kaen recently, I cemented the area in front of my house which is large enough for 3 cars. The cost for the cement , the cement truck, and 3 guys working for a day was 12,000 Baht.

yeah its 5 degrees here too in the a m and the thais shower in cold water (they have hot water at no charge but dont use it)... they say hot water makes their skin dry and i wouldnt itch so much if i didnt shower in steaming hot water.... they also think sitting on the loo reading a newspaper for an hour is laughable... to each his own...

bina

To the OP: Dude, get out of the stoneage my man. This cold shower crap is for the birds. No civilized person should have to deal with that. Clearly it's a nitemare for you, and you have the ways and means to take care of the situation, so get it done. Put your foot down, oh and btw, no it's not common to deal with that kind of bs. I'll fedex you a shovel after you install your water heater so you can dig those nice warm showers, Dig?

QUOTE(lopburi3 @ 2005-11-27 19:15:41)

QUOTE(think_too_mut @ 2005-11-27 18:52:19)

QUOTE(buadhai @ 2005-11-27 08:38:32)

10,000 seems very expensive for the labour - In Khon Kaen recently, I cemented the area in front of my house which is large enough for 3 cars. The cost for the cement , the cement truck, and 3 guys working for a day was 12,000 Baht.

There was lots of work involved - I found the picture. I don't think 10K baht for making the stilts, erecting the structure, lifting the tank, plumbing into the house was too much.

post-7277-1133139816_thumb.jpg

20,000 baht for an electric hot water heater seems kinda expensive. I think the average cost is about 5000 baht for an electric hot water heater.

Also, I lived in a place where the water pressure was low too low for an electric water heater. There was a large water container in the bathroom that was used for scooping out water and flushing the toilet.

I added an underwater pump to the container, fed it into the water heater and the washing machine and it worked great.

The water pump cost about 1300 baht and the water heater was abotu 3000 baht.

Edited by richard10365

20,000 baht for an electric hot water heater seems kinda expensive. I think the average cost is about 5000 baht for an electric hot water heater.

Did anyone say water heater was 20k baht? I can't believe there is one that expensive. Mine was 2K.

It can range from 2-20k if you want a reserve type heater as used in hotels. 2k is very cheap indeed. I assumed you were in country and pumping water from well or klong but it appears you in a mooban or village so if you have piped water why pump to tank? Most people would keep tank at ground level so can fill from pipe and use pump for house pressure (if you indeed have a public water source).

Did anyone say water heater was 20k baht? I can't believe there is one that expensive. Mine was 2K.

It can range from 2-20k if you want a reserve type heater as used in hotels. 2k is very cheap indeed. I assumed you were in country and pumping water from well or klong but it appears you in a mooban or village so if you have piped water why pump to tank? Most people would keep tank at ground level so can fill from pipe and use pump for house pressure (if you indeed have a public water source).

There is no water pressure without elevating the tank. The pump works 30 mins per week pumping into the tank.

Public watersource comes with such a low pressure that it renders useless any bathroom/toilet fittings, no matter how expensive they are. The taps are dry if they are higher than 50cm from the ground.

I don't think there is any other house with hot shower and flush toilet in the village (no other farangs nearby).

Public watersource comes with such a low pressure that it renders useless any bathroom/toilet fittings, no matter how expensive they are. The taps are dry if they are higher than 50cm from the ground.

I don't think there is any other house with hot shower and flush toilet in the village (no other farangs nearby).

Same problem here and I live in the Muang district of Korat. Most days the public water supply has a head of a meter or less. If I did put in a hot water heater I'd need two pumps: one to fill the tank and the other to pump from the tank to the house. I don't have room for an elevated tank.

I guess one option would be to have a very low, very flat tank that would fill from the mains pressure and then pump to the house.

It's getting warmer now so maybe the cold showers will become bearable again....

Lazy boy.

A short or bladder type water tank would indeed be your choice with that low a pressure, although I have not seen them here (too much land space in city perhaps) but am sure they could be found. But in most locations if you have a normal tank the water will be strong enough to fill it at some point during the night (when those with pumps cease and usage is low).

This is my setup. Be sure to ground the water heater and use a circuit breaker that trips easily if there is a short. Water and electricity don't mix in the bathroom.

rich,

did you want to post some pic?

Think too Mut,...yes...I was having problems attaching it. It's there now.

I forgot to add...I had one of them very low pressure water sources that filled my water storage container in the bathroom. If all you want to do is take a hot shower, this is the easiest and cheapest option. The whole setup was less than 4000 baht. (Washing machine not included) :o

Edited by richard10365

Cold showers are not so bad . I don't know about the Nth, but in BKK a cold shower means about 16 C at this time of year? (guessestimate). The only problem I have is the old wife's tale ' you catch cold' after a cold shower .

Yes, really, "cold water" is not so cold in BKK, and I believe it's better for health, so let's go with cold shower!

I like cold showers, like a prev poster mentioned, the cold water is never really cold. Certainly not like western countries.

After spending all day outside, its nice to get into a cool shower..!

redrus

ps: it is nice to whack a little heat on if you're covered in sand and that though.