Prepare Now For Potential Floods Next Year Of The Same Magnitude: Thai Opinion

webfact

WATCHDOG

Prepare now for potential floods next year of the same magnitude

Nophakhun Limsamarnphun

30172552-01_big.jpg

The Irrigation Department has issued a warning that Thailand may witness another year of heavy rainfall in 2012 and has urged farmers to prepare for an early harvest to avoid crop damage.

This will be part of the global warming phenomen that is expected to have repercussions again next year, according to Suthep Noi-Pairoj, deputy director-general of the Irrigation Department.

It means the rainy season will start early and there will be a lot of rain during the summer months, a pattern similar to that of this year, which later led to the massive floods from mid-October.

He also reported that the water levels at all major dams in the country's north are currently relatively high, so there is now enough water for early farming in irrigated areas nationwide.

Farmers should start their planting soon for early harvesting, so as to avoid damage to their crops if there is a huge water run-off again next year.

This year's massive run-off has heavily damaged rice and other economic cash crops. In addition, over 1,000 factories in seven industrial estates in Ayutthaya and Pathum Thani provinces were inundated.

The overall damage caused by the massive floods is estimated to total Bt1.4 trillion.

In a bid to prevent a repeat of this year's floods and to minimise any future damage, the government is preparing to submit a bill to Parliament to authorise state agencies to borrow up to Bt200 billion to finance investments in water management and flood prevention infrastructure. An emergency decree is the fastest way for the government to implement these measures.

The country's worst floods in more than five decades have affected about 2.3 million households, or nearly 10 million people.

In addition to the 1,000 flooded factories inside the industrial parks, more than 10,000 firms outside the flooded areas were also affected indirectly due to a shortage of parts and components.

To restore Thai and foreign investor confidence, the government has pledged to invest in infrastructure projects such as construction of flood-ways and floodwater tunnels to quickly divert water from provinces north of Bangkok into the Gulf of Thailand.

For example, one proposal is to build a 100-kilometre-long, 24-metre-wide floodwater tunnel from Bang Pa-in district of Ayutthaya province to Samut Prakan province so that water can be drained into the Gulf of Thailand quickly. According to the proposal, the upper level of this multi-billion-baht tunnel could also be used as an underground road for cars and trucks during the dry months. The road would be closed during the rainy months and emergencies so that it can double up as part of the overall floodwater tunnel.

The proposed tunnel is seen as a better alternative when compared to building ground-level flood-ways whose drainage capability would be less effective due to obstructions caused by large numbers of buildings and other structures along the way.

An effective flood-prevention infrastructure is now necessary in order to win back investor confidence, as Thai and foreign firms, especially Japanese and western ones, were badly damaged by the floods in Ayutthaya and Pathum Thani.

International insurance firms have also declined to renew coverage for factories in Thailand concerning potential liabilities that may result from natural disasters such as floods.

As a result, the government needs to come up with a credible infrastructure programme and implement it within a reasonable timeframe.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-12-24

If it happens again, rice economy destroyed and the country's Industrial economy, dead and buried along with huge inflation. With regard to preventive measures.... ummm have they started? because the speed anything is done in the LOS it takes years not weeks,(this isn;t China)

Edited by KKvampire

Next year's floods could be worse or could be less bad than this year - no one really knows. However, worse floods are coming in the near future, it's plain scientific principles (higher seas, sinking mud flats, on-going cement coverings of land, etc etc). Don't be surprised at Bkk region and downtown having one to two meters of standing water all year 'round. Anyone investing in the Bkk region is nutzoid.

It would take total moronic proportions of incompetence to mis-manage the draining off as poorly again for a second year in a row.

BREAKING NEWS, the government have accepted your challenge. They believe they have the resources and experience to succeed.

I'm trying to think of a word that means 'even less competent than utterly incompetent'. For that is what the government haters will be adding to the English lexicon next year should any flooding at all occur. Thinking hats on, boys ;)

At least next year we'll know that sandbags are a complete waste of time for defending individual properties and constructing cheap temporary breeze-block wall defenses could be the way to go.

A waste of money. Such flood only come once in 50 years.

Have you noticed how many once in a lifetime events weatherwise countries have had these past few years? eg The 2 worst years for tornadoes in the USA have occured in the past decade. For what ever reason, the atmosphere is warming, that puts more moisture in the air. It's got to fall somewhere.

Does this explain, why the BoI distributed little rubber ducks at their latest roadshows "Unsinkable Thailand"? Stupid me, was just yet another flash......

Honestly though I am wondering, what Thais come up with next year. Sofar I've ticked off:

- breaking up an ASEAN summit over the Easter weekend; 44 channels Pope with "Urbi et Orbi", the rest "Little civil war in the beach resort of Pattaya"

- closing down airports at the beginning of high season

- randsacking and holding Bangkok downtown hostage for 10 weeks

- closing dam valves to avoid necessary drainage during rainy season to ensure the country sinks in water and garbage

The satellite debris over Sisaket has development potential too, we will see!

The only solution to this change in weather and resultant floodings for Thailand is to go foreward as quickly as possible with flood prevention structures, however that would take an enormously big effort and expense, which I doubt that any government yet to govern in Thailand has that ability or resolve. The most logical in my opinion is to move north onto higher grounds where floodings are not a likely to become such a big problem. Chiang Mai anyone?

I'm trying to think of a word that means 'even less competent than utterly incompetent'. For that is what the government haters will be adding to the English lexicon next year should any flooding at all occur. Thinking hats on, boys wink.png

At least next year we'll know that sandbags are a complete waste of time for defending individual properties and constructing cheap temporary breeze-block wall defenses could be the way to go.

Breeze-block walls, silicone cement finished is definitely the way to go, but you also need a means of closing the domestic waste pipes and toilets. Thigh length waders and/or an inflatable dinghy, well stocked freezer and medicine cabinet, and a generator that will run on bottled gas.

Well at least I now know how to read into the promises from Navanakorn.

I now also know that I can defend my factory and will sure make an effort doing so.

Also, my house can not be kept dry but at least I know how I can keep most of the water out with little effort.

Government will be useless, as they've been this year as well.

I'm trying to think of a word that means 'even less competent than utterly incompetent'. For that is what the government haters will be adding to the English lexicon next year should any flooding at all occur. Thinking hats on, boys wink.png

Such a word already exists. Yingluck.

Breeze-block walls, silicone cement finished is definitely the way to go, but you also need a means of closing the domestic waste pipes and toilets. Thigh length waders and/or an inflatable dinghy, well stocked freezer and medicine cabinet, and a generator that will run on bottled gas.

Yes, but do remember to move the freezer, medicine cabinet and generator to the first floorwhistling.gif

Cement and breeze-block walls just don't work, even if sealed. The sealants give way from inside out. In Bang-Pun, Phatumtani where my home is/was the water came up through the floors and toilets before it got through and above a 1.5m high sealed wall we had had built. The muck and crap came from within and up and out, not vice-versa.

-mel.

Yes, but do remember to move the freezer, medicine cabinet and generator to the first floorwhistling.gif

Houses in my village don't have a first floor, most of my stuff this year ended up perched on stoneware patio furniture a few scant centimetres above the flood waters. Lying in bed watching fish swim around your bedroom is actually quite relaxing.

Cement and breeze-block walls just don't work, even if sealed. The sealants give way from inside out. In Bang-Pun, Phatumtani where my home is/was the water came up through the floors and toilets before it got through and above a 1.5m high sealed wall we had had built. The muck and crap came from within and up and out, not vice-versa.

-mel.

There are two types of blocks, lightweight which is porous and high density which is not. To stop the water rising through your waste outlets there are many methods to seal waste and toilet pipes http://www.petersenproducts.com/Home.aspx?gclid=CIv_26ufmq0CFUIa6wodK2lwnA

I have no idea if they are available in Thailand, I shall bring some from England this summer.

According to the highrachy of the chinese temples in Thailand, the flood next year will again be of biblical proportion, (only no arc this time) and everyone in the world is going to die. My Thai lady goes to the temple and informed me of this coming catastrophe. She was not impressed when i told her it was a total load of bullshit and many reigions before have forecast the end of the world. If those flood control people in the government have also heard about this, then they won't bother about their pockets, just back up the biggest truck you can find and take all the moolah.

There is very little that anyone could have done to prevent the massive amount of water that caused these floods. Mismanagement was a factor, but even if it were managed well, there still would have been massive amounts of flooding and damage.

As far as protecting your house, I don't think there is much that can be done. A friend of mine who is an engineer managed to seal is house of tightly, including the toilet and drains. The water came straight through the floor.

-mel.

There are two types of blocks, lightweight which is porous and high density which is not. To stop the water rising through your waste outlets there are many methods to seal waste and toilet pipes http://www.petersenp...CFUIa6wodK2lwnA

I have no idea if they are available in Thailand, I shall bring some from England this summer.

be some excess luggage weight for u then wink.png

-mel.

That really must have been a hard time.