Looking For A Modem Only Not A Router

localexpat

Hello,

First this is my second post re modem only, sorry for repeating myself, I am out of the country now on a works computer and for some reason it will not allow searches hence re-opening my topic rather than continue with the previous.

OK

Define problem

I have changed operating systems from XP to Vista ( shortly going to Win 7 ) and have had to change my modem to a modem router. Result has been that my friends are unable to access my FTP.

Please note windows firewall is off, so it is not that.

I know that I most probably have to port forward my modem router but do not wish to carry this out as ( for me ) it is quite complex requiring static ip setup ect.

Hence I see a possible easy solution if I can buy a MODEM ONLY not a router, similar to my original set up but now suitable for Vista and Win 7.

Does anyone know if it is possible to buy a MODEM ONLY either in Thailand or off Ebay?

Or if someone has one to sell I would buy.

Note my internet service is 3BB. 650 Baht per month package

Thanks in advance

Chris

I know that I most probably have to port forward my modem router but do not wish to carry this out as ( for me ) it is quite complex requiring static ip setup ect.

If you end up with a modem/router anyway, ask for help. It's not that hard and there's plenty of help here on the forum.

You would need to do three things.

1. Set the FTP to a static IP address of your choice, 192.168.1.3 as an example.

2. Port forward that static IP to the common FTP ports 21 and 80

3. Unless you have a very expensive static IP connection you have a dynamic IP (most home/consumer accounts are dynamic). You'll need to sign up for a free dynamic IP service at somewhere like www.dyndns.com. And then put that account information in your router under the Dynamic DNS area.. the router will have a testing feature to test if it's working for you.

I know this sounds complicated.. and I suppose it is if you haven't done it. But if you're using a common router I'm sure someone here has one and can make screen captures showing you where/how to make the settings.

Good luck with it.

".....have had to change my modem to a modem router. Result has been that my friends are unable to access my FTP."

You don't say why you "had" to change to a router but the fact that you are thinking of going back to a modem implies that you didn't need to change.

If you don't need the routing functions (ie you only have one PC) then you can just put your router into bridge mode and it will work exactly like a modem.

I have a D-Link DSL-526B from TOT going still in the box and unused. But it is a Combo Router with built in ADSL modem

I use a Zyxel Wireless router that I had from True, when I went over to TOT they gave me the D-Link but never needed it.

Hi

Many thanks for your helpful replies

For info I had to stop using my old modem (s) as Vista does not support them.

Looks like I have no choice but to port forward, so I will wait 3 weeks till I am home and then come back here to request assistance to do this.

Bye for now

Hi

Many thanks for your helpful replies

For info I had to stop using my old modem (s) as Vista does not support them.

Looks like I have no choice but to port forward, so I will wait 3 weeks till I am home and then come back here to request assistance to do this.

Bye for now

If that's your only reason then you can still use them. Modems and routers are blind to operating systems. An automated setup disk can be OS specific, but you can still manually enter and adjust a modem or router via any browser on any operating system.

If that's your hangup, let's start there. What modem and what isn't it doing that you want it to do?

Modems and routers are blind to operating systems.

A USB DSL modem certainly isnt blind to the OS. For all we know he was using such a device.

We also still dont know whether he needs the routing functions at all (ie does he have more than one PC/device).

A bit more precision on his part would be useful.

Modems and routers are blind to operating systems.

A USB DSL modem certainly isnt blind to the OS. For all we know he was using such a device.

We also still dont know whether he needs the routing functions at all (ie does he have more than one PC/device).

A bit more precision on his part would be useful.

I haven't seen a USB combined with DSL.. in a modem.. that didn't also have an ethernet port. Rare animal.. but if he does have one it would be an issue with OS's yes. You've seen one? Could you link us to one? I'm curious. Just to be clear, we're talking about the connection from the modem to the computer?

But yes.. he needs to get a lot more specific, what modem (brand and model), what he wants to do with it, etc. He's getting an awful lot of feedback for such scant information. It would behoove him to spend a few minutes and detail a response.

Hi

As mentioned before many thanks for the feedback

What does "behoove" means sponser, sounds like a cow term? or a machine sucking up dust?

Anyway as mentioned in my initial post " am out of the country now on a works computer" hence cannot give specific details on my old modem and the new modem-router I have now. I will be home in 3 weeks and will give then.

I dont think my old modems are "blind" to operating systems as they need a drive to work. When I tried to use my old modem on Vista is says " This operating system does not support this equipment". Hence when you purchase a modem or router is should say suitable for Vista, Win 7 etc.

Anyway I digress or am I "behooving" again?

For my FTP to allow access I need either to find a modem only suitable for Vista and Win 7 or portforward my present modem-router.

For information I seached Ebay and did find the following:

BRAND NEW ADSL BROADBAND MODEM

Price 3 pounds 99 pence.

Spec

The BT Voyager 190 Modem is a state of the art ADSL Ethernet Modem that lets you connect one Ethernet device (computer, games console etc) to your ADSL Broadband.

It is Driverless and as such is compatible with any PPPoE capable device. It can be used with Windows Vista.

The BT Voyager 190 Modem was developed for AOL Broadband. It offers a complete package of ADSL modem and filters to ensure fast Internet and reliability.

What's good...

Pre-configured to work on UK ADSL lines, including AOL.

Fully tested at BT and AOL ADSL Labs.

ADSL2/2+ ready. Supports data rate up to 24Mbps downstream and 3 Mbps upstream

Supports PPPoE

1 x Ethernet 10/100 Mbps socket, auto sensing

Colour coded sockets and cables (TR-068)

High quality microfilters included (comply with BT SIN 346 v2.2)

PPPoE Client Diagnostics feature to aid troubleshooting and setup

Firmware upgradeable. Dual memory image for safe failure recovery

Perfect for...

Anyone looking for an Ethernet modem which requires no setup or configuration.

Anyway for such a low price and as it is Vista compatable I bought it and plan to try it when I get home.

Anyway all for now i have some hovering or is it behoovering to do.

Thanks again

What does "behoove" means sponser, sounds like a cow term? or a machine sucking up dust?

I dont think my old modems are "blind" to operating systems as they need a drive to work. When I tried to use my old modem on Vista is says " This operating system does not support this equipment". Hence when you purchase a modem or router is should say suitable for Vista, Win 7 etc.

Anyway I digress or am I "behooving" again?

For my FTP to allow access I need either to find a modem only suitable for Vista and Win 7 or portforward my present modem-router.

For information I seached Ebay and did find the following:

BRAND NEW ADSL BROADBAND MODEM

a. Behoove would be akin to "benefit." When you post a message asking for help on an electronic device of any type, it benefits you to list the specific device by manufacturer and model number and as much specific information as possible. For reasons you might not understand, the more general the information, the less helpful the answer.

Here's the thing, you 'think' you need a new modem compatible with Vista or Win7 or to port forward using a router. Perhaps, but there's more to it than that. The information you haven't been able to list would help the people you're asking for help, to help you do what you've been unable to do yourself. Here's what's needed:

1. The manufacturer and model number of your current modem.

2. The type of FTP you're running. Is it a standalone FTP, an FTP setup on your main computer through Windows, or what?

3. Operating system.

b. I've never seen a modem or router that needed a drive to work. I have seen modem and routers that can be set up via a setup disk.. but setup disks are normally used by those who don't know how to set up modems/routers, and shunned by those who do. As mentioned there are some USB modems (never seen an ADSL one, though it doesn't mean there isn't one), air cards, wifi cards, etc.. which require drivers so you'd need a driver specific to your operating system, but it would be rare.

c. You are in no danger of behooving yourself.

d. The modem you listed as an example does say "vista compatible" and this would be a good example of a modem that comes with a setup disk to set it up.. but which isn't necessary for it to run or to be set up manually. This modem would work with a Mac, XP, Vista, Win7, Linux.. anything with a browser.

IF you are depending on a setup disk to do the port forwarding for you.. it might or might not work. Setup disks are generally of the same quality as the modem itself. It would behoove you.. to learn the simple steps of port forwarding if you care to learn. But if all you're asking in this thread is which modem to buy so when you stick in the setup disk it will do port forwarding for you.. I wouldn't have a clue. If this is the case it would behoove you to buy a current modem from a top manufacturer with a reputation for good customer support, because when the setup disk doesn't work well you can call and they'll walk you through how to forward a port.

Good luck to you.

I haven't seen a USB combined with DSL.. in a modem.. that didn't also have an ethernet port. Rare animal.. but if he does have one it would be an issue with OS's yes. You've seen one? Could you link us to one? I'm curious. Just to be clear, we're talking about the connection from the modem to the computer?

My pleasure:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&cp=14&gs_id=2j&xhr=t&q=adsl+usb+modem&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=BU34Tt_TOoyurAf6rNX9Dw&biw=1564&bih=750&sei=CU34TsvDDMbHrQe4o-gG

Some of these have ethernet sockets also, but many only have USB. For USB function they require drivers, and whilst these were always available for XP many models never got updated for Vista etc. Of course since then routers and ethernet connections have become much more common, not least because they need no drivers, little configuration and of course because these days most homes have multiple wireless devices.

In the early days of domestic ADSL in Europe nearly all ISPs supplied a free USB modem to subscribers, and I used to have dozens of them lying around. I have several customers who still use them on their XP machines, and dial-up networking runs them very nicely. Obviously data speeds are limited by the USB bus.

My pleasure:

http://www.google.co...svDDMbHrQe4o-gG

Some of these have ethernet sockets also, but many only have USB. For USB function they require drivers, and whilst these were always available for XP many models never got updated for Vista etc. Of course since then routers and ethernet connections have become much more common, not least because they need no drivers, little configuration and of course because these days most homes have multiple wireless devices.

In the early days of domestic ADSL in Europe nearly all ISPs supplied a free USB modem to subscribers, and I used to have dozens of them lying around. I have several customers who still use them on their XP machines, and dial-up networking runs them very nicely. Obviously data speeds are limited by the USB bus.

a. Geez, there's a ton of them. Thanks!

b. I've never seen these before. Do you know if they were in Asia too? Is anyone still using them?

Do you know if they were in Asia too? Is anyone still using them?

I have customers in Europe who still use them. I suspect that Asia bypassed these devices and moved directly to ethernet equipment.

This is what I enjoy most about these forums, there's always good information to learn from others.

Now you have me wondering why.. I suppose there was a time when not all computers had ethernet.. but to roll out an entire section of the population with a more troublesome port, slower, etc.. Maybe you guys rolled out broadband years before we did and it made sense back then.

Well.. if the OP does have a USB modem he'd have to have a really vintage PC to still need one now.

I suppose there was a time when not all computers had ethernet..

There was, and it wasnt really that long ago. 10 years or so. The same with wifi on laptops. I have several people still using XP desktop machines that had no built-in ethernet when purchased. OK, cheap PCI LAN cards have always been available, but ISPs wouldnt have got far trying to convince domestic subscribers to fit one in order to get ADSL. USB was simpler and because of their design the USB modems were always very cheap (the PC does most of the work). Ethernet ADSL modems used to cost 60 EUR or more in the early days, and ADSL modem/routers with wifi were well over 100. The USB ones probably only cost a few Euros to make.

The ISP provided a CD that both installed the drivers and set up the connection and email, which isnt so easy to do automatically on an ethernet connection.

Since then the European ISPs have moved on to triple- and quadruple-play proprietary boxes that do ADSL/modem/router/wifi/VOIP/POTS and IPTV services all in one, for a single monthly fee, and which configure themselves automatically on connection using the MAC address. That doesnt seem to have caught on at all here.

Edited by Darrel

I suppose there was a time when not all computers had ethernet..

There was, and it wasnt really that long ago. 10 years or so. The same with wifi on laptops. I have several people still using XP desktop machines that had no built-in ethernet when purchased. OK, cheap PCI LAN cards have always been available, but ISPs wouldnt have got far trying to convince domestic subscribers to fit one in order to get ADSL. USB was simpler and because of their design the USB modems were always very cheap (the PC does most of the work). Ethernet ADSL modems used to cost 60 EUR or more in the early days, and ADSL modem/routers with wifi were well over 100. The USB ones probably only cost a few Euros to make.

The ISP provided a CD that both installed the drivers and set up the connection and email, which isnt so easy to do automatically on an ethernet connection.

Since then the European ISPs have moved on to triple- and quadruple-play proprietary boxes that do ADSL/modem/router/wifi/VOIP/POTS and IPTV services all in one, for a single monthly fee, and which configure themselves automatically on connection using the MAC address. That doesnt seem to have caught on at all here.

In the states you'd have to go back a lot further than ten years to not find ethernet and wifi.. which is probably why we never had USB modems. The marketing of technology across continents is an interesting subject, you'd think what was marketed in one could would be in the next, but then you realize the communication companies (broadband, tv, etc) were at different stages of investment and more or less dictated if a computer would sell with certain features.

In America now.. there are still small pockets of dialup and ADSL is avaiable as a low cost option just about anywhere. But most can't compete with the cable companies who are currently rolling out 150mbps solutions in some areas. I have a 50/10 and could have a 100/25 if I cared to pay for it.. it pains me to think of what I'll have to put up with when I'm back in Thailand. Having a fast connection really changes the way you experience the web.