Mysterious Disappearance Of Patongs Soi Dogs

geriatrickid

As I said in an earlier post - a rabies vaccination will always be recommended as Thailand has rabies. Phuket on the other hand has been rabies-free for a number of years, but its always possible a rabid animal could travel to Phuket.

I'm still looking forward to a 'link' that shows rabies has been found on Phuket.

Bats and monkeys?? I didn't know there were vampire bats on Phuket and, monkeys will only bite you if you go near them....

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What happens if a stray dog eats a dead bat that has rabies?

Anyway......whether Phuket is rabies free is immaterial if you still have to get shots after getting bitten by a dog.

Would you take a chance by NOT getting the shots?

Edited by KarenBravo

What happens if a stray dog eats a dead bat that has rabies?

Anyway......whether Phuket is rabies free is immaterial if you still have to get shots after getting bitten by a dog.

Would you take a chance by NOT getting the shots?

Funnily enough I was bitten by a dog that was trying to get me out of the way so that he could get at my dog! It was not a soi dog, it was owned by someone... I didn't bother getting a 'shot' as I knew Phuket had been rabies-free for years.

But, we are digressing - my point is that PHUKET IS RABIES FREE at the moment, so that is no excuse for killing off the soi dogs.

Would eating a rabid bat give a dog rabies? Must admit I can't be bothered to look it up as those who come up with the rabies excuse for killing off soi dogs are not worth the effort....

Maybe you should live somewhere besides here. The dogs and the way they live went on before you arrived!

go live somewhere else,is that the best you can do.years ago there were stray dogs all through europe,but it was dealt with,and someone has started the ball rolling here,if you want to really believe there is no rabies here,so be it,but tell me,if you or your family were bitten would you risk not having the jabs,all the workers traveling to phuket with no checks on their dogs,yeah right.

We got along fine all these years without westerners wanting everything to be their way, it's not your way, it's not going to be, so take the highway and go back to where things are the way you like them! I like them fine the way they are! I've never been bitten by a dog. I've had dogs all my life. They seem to be smarter than a lot of people!

you said it

Not to many problems in Rawai, as mentioned most of these dogs do belong to people living in the area. A majority have been around for years. Not to worry their bark is a lot louder than their bite. These dogs are already accustomed to people being around them.

Not in a literal sense, but dogs can smell fear in people. This will cause them to act out once in a while.

For the neglected ones unfortunately something does have to be done about them.

Thats okay if your a dog trainer and always in control. Show me someone who isnt scared shiftless when confronted by a pack of growling fangs moving towards them? Anyone who says they wouldn't be scared is a liar/ key board warrior

If owners cant control their dogs and let them roam free then dog needs to be put down. This is an owners problem, not the dogs

Maybe you should live somewhere besides here. The dogs and the way they live went on before you arrived!

Good Post saai.gif

rabies free means that nobody died of rabies. There are many animals caught with rabies. Of course this is kept out of newspaper because the people bitten are getting their expensive shots.

Rabies is a reportable condition and the local Chief Medical Officers don't screw around. In order to access the WHO and other funds, there are reports to be filed and data collected. It is spot checked and audited. To reassure people, rabies is under control in Thailand and there are no cases linked to primates or bats. Almost all of the cases to date have been dog related. The cases speak for themselves;

From WHO: Thailand has registered a sharp decline in the number of human rabies deaths. The incidence of human rabies decreased from 57 (0.094 per 100000 population) in 1998 to 9 (0.027 per 100000 population) in 2008.

There was an outbreak in 2010, but this was mostly localized in Bangkok. For further reassurance, here is an interesting article featuring the deputy health minister under the Abhisit administration from 2010 http://news.brunei.f...ntry-in-2020-2/

Believe it or not the deputy minister stated;

- Some 80 per cent cent of biting dogs have owners and 47 per cent of the dogs do not have vaccination history available.

- The DM said the government had spent Bt1billion budget each year to contain and prevent rabies in human and animals but anti-viral vaccination in dogs can be administered in limitedly, lower than 80 per cent of the targeted area

-In 2010 there were an estimated eight million owned and stray dogs in Thailand. (The 2011 floods are believe to have drowned tens of thousands of dogs along with other domestic animals and wildlife.)

- 90 per cent of rabies deaths were due to dogs aged less than three months, domestic or owned dogs which had not been vaccinated.

Because of the work of groups like soidog foundation and its supporters on Phuket and the work of groups such as the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation in conjunction with WHO, stray dogs are not the primary source of rabies. These groups have vaccinated the dogs. The major risk are "owned" dogs, primarily puppies who are not taken care of and vaccinated. It is a myth that soidogs are the source or cause of rabies on Phuket.

Because of the work of groups like soidog foundation and its supporters on Phuket and the work of groups such as the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation in conjunction with WHO, stray dogs are not the primary source of rabies. These groups have vaccinated the dogs. The major risk are "owned" dogs, primarily puppies who are not taken care of and vaccinated. It is a myth that soidogs are the source or cause of rabies on Phuket.

Nice research. Well said!

Nice research. Well said!

as you are reading this i am eating my hat. thats great news.

get a rabies outbreak here and all the soi dogs will disappear the same as Bali in february

These NGO are just making a good living for people at the top

If you have a dog you should keep it in a secure yard and exercise it regularly

People who own dogs like Tip Bulls are very insecure

it is alleged that the local Or Bor has arranged a mass cull with allegations that the dogs were being bludgeoned and then buried alive in pits.

I do not have a problem with painless euthanasia for some of these dogs that are homeless, but doing it this way is barbaric. angry.png

it is alleged that the local Or Bor has arranged a mass cull with allegations that the dogs were being bludgeoned and then buried alive in pits.

I do not have a problem with painless euthanasia for some of these dogs that are homeless, but doing it this way is barbaric. angry.png

+1

Good Post saai.gif

Ah, the poor little euroid wants it to be like it is in the west here.passifier.gif It's not! Thank goodness! You can accept it or go back and live in your comfort zone. You aren't going to change anything here, you are the one who needs to change your attitude! Do you have a dog? Have you ever had a dog? And please don't come near my house or my vaccinated dog might bite your ass. She smells fear... laugh.png And kills cobras.

Edited by LivinginKata
flame removed

People who own dogs like Tip Bulls are very insecure

PIT Bulls, perhaps? and yes, there is no reason to have these dogs as pets.

I did have a Tip Bull once...he just loved to graze on the garbage..and the best thing was whenever some nefarious characters came to my rubbish tip to pilfer some recyclables, ol Georgie would down his head and charge straight at the offenders...A horny beast in so many ways.

go live somewhere else,is that the best you can do.years ago there were stray dogs all through europe,but it was dealt with,and someone has started the ball rolling here,if you want to really believe there is no rabies here,so be it,but tell me,if you or your family were bitten would you risk not having the jabs,all the workers traveling to phuket with no checks on their dogs,yeah right.

We got along fine all these years without westerners wanting everything to be their way, it's not your way, it's not going to be, so take the highway and go back to where things are the way you like them! I like them fine the way they are! I've never been bitten by a dog. I've had dogs all my life. They seem to be smarter than a lot of people!

you said it

Yes, and I meant people like you, who think just because they move to Phuket it should be the way it was back wherever you came from. Thankfully it is not!

And they have been culling dogs here for years.So why all the wingeing.Let them get on with it and stop sticking western noses in

PR problem ???? Bigger than jetskis and tuk tuks???

bwah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha . There will be no outcry at all apart from a few unhinged vocal minority extremists as there is with anything done in the world today.

Well done whoever is doing it.

PR problem ???? Bigger than jetskis and tuk tuks???

bwah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha . There will be no outcry at all apart from a few unhinged vocal minority extremists as there is with anything done in the world today.

Well done whoever is doing it.

Right. Nothing is done about the Tuk Tuk mafia, but you're all for killing dogs? See this link: http://www.phukettuktuks.com/

Good Post saai.gif

Ah, the poor little euroid wants it to be like it is in the west here.passifier.gif It's not! Thank goodness! You can accept it or go back and live in your comfort zone. You aren't going to change anything here, you are the one who needs to change your attitude! Do you have a dog? Have you ever had a dog? And please don't come near my house or my vaccinated dog might bite your ass. She smells fear... laugh.png And kills cobras.

Like the west?

let me spell it out....its the T-H-A-I-S doing the culling .

thought you would have figured that out, so why are you trying to change the way Thais are ?

Edited by LivinginKata
flame removed

<snip>

its the T-H-A-I-S doing the culling .

Possibly.. But why? For profit? I know some like to eat dog or maybe they're shipping them across the border to Laos: http://www.huffingto...i_n_926336.html

in denial,nope the thais are cold bloodedly massacring the hound populous,and head goes in the sand.the thai way Edited by LivinginKata
flame removed

WETHER WE LIKE IT OR NOT,We cant change it,and like HOOTER says its Thais that are doing it..what do you sugest we do about it..REALISTICLY...ITS ALREADY HAPPENED WE CANT CHANGE IT..It probably wont happen again untill the next CULLING..when they become a nuicance again..its there way..not ours..

Street or feral dogs are culled all around the world not just Thailand

Its the owners responsibility to keep there dog in a secure yard and exercise

it regularly, the street dogs here are just a nuisance tipping over bins etc

and spreading things like mange and when in packs threatening people

Street or feral dogs are culled all around the world not just Thailand

Its the owners responsibility to keep there dog in a secure yard and exercise

it regularly, the street dogs here are just a nuisance tipping over bins etc

and spreading things like mange and when in packs threatening people

FYI, groups like SF had intervened to assist dogs with mange and the spay/neuter release program had in large part addressed the aggressiveness issues. I don't think you can point out one incident related to dog packs in Patong in the past year.