Mysterious Disappearance Of Patongs Soi Dogs

geriatrickid

I don't know if anyone has noticed but the soi dogs of Patong have all but disappeared. Although many were vaccinated and sterilized by local NGOs, it is alleged that the local Or Bor has arranged a mass cull with allegations that the dogs were being bludgeoned and then buried alive in pits. One well reputed organization posted on its FB site that they have investigated and that the local government claims they were taken to the pound ( I was sent the link from a colleague). However, the government agency that administers the pound has stated that it has not taken any dogs from Patong. No word in the local papers, but the allegations are getting more intense. This has the potential to explode into some serious bad PR for Patong if not managed right and could do more damage than the tuktuk and jetski issues.

Does anyone know what is going on and are the concerns being expressed in emails now circulating valid? Has the local mayor sponsored a secret cull and is it one that violates the agreements and protocols in place with the Department of Agriculture and the NGOs?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Soi dogs are part and parcel of Thailand, but I can see that Thailand wants to improve it's ability to attract tourists and has looked at other cities such at Hong Kong, and thought they need to do the same. Shame they do not try hard enough with the Taxi and Jet Ski mafias.

I look at the state of some of the Soi Dogs and they look terrible for some the best thing would be to put them down.

Edited by beano2274

I do agree the state of some of the Soi Dogs look terrible, but on the other hand many Thais actually claim some of these dogs to be their own. I bet if there was a mandate to register these dogs or risk them being put down, there would be a huge amount of people making the effort to have them registered.

It would be a shame if the authorities didn’t provide any notice before doing so.

If they were just sweeping up every dog on the loose, I'm sure there are some very sad people in Patong at this time.

Edited by FlyByNights

Be a bit sad if true

This article appeared in the phuket news in Dec

http://www.thephuket...st.php?id=27803

Many thanks. Did not see.

In respect to other comments about the need for euthanasia, that's not my key concern. rather, the SDF and other groups that invested a lot of effort and money may see their work having been for naught. There were understandings and agreements in place. The strategy behind the sterilized & vaccinated soidog was that a local managed population would keep new strays from establishing dominance and would keep the population down, particularly since Thais refuse to consider euthanasia as an option. The intent was to avoid secretive culls done by dubious groups in a cruel and unsafe manner.

I don't know if anyone has noticed but the soi dogs of Patong have all but disappeared. Although many were vaccinated and sterilized by local NGOs, it is alleged that the local Or Bor has arranged a mass cull with allegations that the dogs were being bludgeoned and then buried alive in pits. One well reputed organization posted on its FB site that they have investigated and that the local government claims they were taken to the pound ( I was sent the link from a colleague). However, the government agency that administers the pound has stated that it has not taken any dogs from Patong. No word in the local papers, but the allegations are getting more intense. This has the potential to explode into some serious bad PR for Patong if not managed right and could do more damage than the tuktuk and jetski issues.

Does anyone know what is going on and are the concerns being expressed in emails now circulating valid? Has the local mayor sponsored a secret cull and is it one that violates the agreements and protocols in place with the Department of Agriculture and the NGOs?

explode into bad pr,ha,your joking right. The dogs down there are rabid,and full of disease,any tourist getting bitten has to get rabies jabs.They are unsightly and a nuisance, bravo to the one who shifted them and i will pay to do the same in rawai and chalong,and i will pay double for the rottweiler running around there terrorizing people. about time,well done that man.

explode into bad pr,ha,your joking right. The dogs down there are rabid,and full of disease,any tourist getting bitten has to get rabies jabs.They are unsightly and a nuisance, bravo to the one who shifted them and i will pay to do the same in rawai and chalong,and i will pay double for the rottweiler running around there terrorizing people. about time,well done that man.

Odd, you care about horses, but not dogs?

Odd, you care about horses, but not dogs?

not odd at all,if someone put them out of their misery,so be it. they were ill and neglected,like most soi dogs. I dont think its fair for any animal or human to suffer.The dogs are a pest,tipping bins over,barking,fighting,biting. Yes i did bring the horses up to stop the ill treatment,there is a few big european breeds roaming the streets near rawai,they need to be taken of.

Not to many problems in Rawai, as mentioned most of these dogs do belong to people living in the area. A majority have been around for years. Not to worry their bark is a lot louder than their bite. These dogs are already accustomed to people being around them.

Not in a literal sense, but dogs can smell fear in people. This will cause them to act out once in a while.

For the neglected ones unfortunately something does have to be done about them.

Not to many problems in Rawai, as mentioned most of these dogs do belong to people living in the area. A majority have been around for years. Not to worry their bark is a lot louder than their bite. These dogs are already accustomed to people being around them.

Not in a literal sense, but dogs can smell fear in people. This will cause them to act out once in a while.

Thats okay if your a dog trainer and always in control. Show me someone who isnt scared shiftless when confronted by a pack of growling fangs moving towards them? Anyone who says they wouldn't be scared is a liar/ key board warrior

If owners cant control their dogs and let them roam free then dog needs to be put down. This is an owners problem, not the dogs

Thats okay if your a dog trainer and always in control. Show me Anyone who says they wouldn't be scared is a liar/ key board warrior

If owners cant control their dogs and let them roam free then dog needs to be put down. This is an owners problem, not the dogs

Your right in regards to "someone who isnt scared shiftless when confronted by a pack of growling fangs moving towards them?", I think we all are, but can you please elaborate on "keyboard warrior" ? What does this have to do with my post? Thanks

Edited by FlyByNights

Bit strange to see some posters are supporting the actions of the owners of these dogs who neglect them and leave to their own. Are you involved in the biz i.e. make your living off from the NGO's ?

If you ask me anyone who claims the dogs for theirs should be dragged to court and fined few thousand baht with follow-up that they take care of their dog's or remove the dog straight away.

Thats okay if your a dog trainer and always in control. Show me Anyone who says they wouldn't be scared is a liar/ key board warrior

Your right in regards to "someone who isnt scared shiftless when confronted by a pack of growling fangs moving towards them?", I think we all are, but can you please elaborate on "keyboard warrior" ? What does this have to do with my post? Thanks

sorry key board warrior wasn't meant for you but at the experts sitting in their 20th floor condo giving advice on how to approach a rabid beast that will bite anything . cracks me up that stuff only works on tv!

Last I heard Phuket had been rabies free for many years.

Do you KNOW something different?

Thats okay if your a dog trainer and always in control. Show me someone who isnt scared shiftless when confronted by a pack of growling fangs moving towards them? Anyone who says they wouldn't be scared is a liar/ key board warrior

Maybe you should live somewhere besides here. The dogs and the way they live went on before you arrived!

To set the record straight and to avoid arguments;

- Soi Dog Foundation and other groups subsidized the spaying and neutering of dogs in patong. they also provided vaccinations.

- The likelihood of rabies and an aggressive growing population was reduced because of the spay/neuter/vaccinate release program. It was because of groups like SDF that Phuket became rabies free years ago.

- the local desexed soi dog population kept the population down and the results spoke for themselves.

The reason why there will be a PR problem is that a great many kind hearted people around the world, particularly in Scandanavia, Australia, the UK and the USA helped to fund these programs. It received the support of multiple reputable animal welfare groups. It was also supported by public health groups. These people can and do have clout. They are also the same people that contribute to the orphanages, schools and national health projects. The local government had trotted out the program as part of its look, see we are caring compassionate environmentally friendly folk. A lot of money and effort was invested. And now if the local government has reneged on the understanding, it effectively has sabotaged a program that was working and will create an even bigger dog problem. It sends a message that charity funded projects can be destroyed on a local whim. If you were an NGO and were approached to help fund a reforestation project on Phuket and saw how another well regarded group and its successful program was treated, would you be willing to provided the money requested? Would you provide an additional grant for public health research? The mayor needs to respond to the inquiries and to provide a statement for the record.

Edited by geriatrickid

yep, a friend of mines lad was bitten and told to have rabies jabs,there is rabies in phuket and thailand,what,you think they cleared it 2 years ago and continued monitoring.sorry,they dont work that way,they being the powers that be. Ask any reputable dr or even a police man,you still get the mad ones been shot. rabies free, sorry but it is not rabies free.

yep, a friend of mines lad was bitten and told to have rabies jabs,there is rabies in phuket and thailand,what,you think they cleared it 2 years ago and continued monitoring.sorry,they dont work that way,they being the powers that be. Ask any reputable dr or even a police man,you still get the mad ones been shot. rabies free, sorry but it is not rabies free.

Yes - THAILAND has rabies so everyone who has been bitten by a dog is recommended to get a rabies jab.

However.... Phuket has (so far) been rabies free for a number of years (but I look forward to you providing some/any evidence that this is not the case - other than 'anecdotal' evidencerolleyes.gif ). That is not to say that it could come back via some rabid animal that travels to Phuket.

Maybe you should live somewhere besides here. The dogs and the way they live went on before you arrived!

go live somewhere else,is that the best you can do.years ago there were stray dogs all through europe,but it was dealt with,and someone has started the ball rolling here,if you want to really believe there is no rabies here,so be it,but tell me,if you or your family were bitten would you risk not having the jabs,all the workers traveling to phuket with no checks on their dogs,yeah right.

go live somewhere else,is that the best you can do.years ago there were stray dogs all through europe,but it was dealt with,and someone has started the ball rolling here,if you want to really believe there is no rabies here,so be it,but tell me,if you or your family were bitten would you risk not having the jabs,all the workers traveling to phuket with no checks on their dogs,yeah right.

We got along fine all these years without westerners wanting everything to be their way, it's not your way, it's not going to be, so take the highway and go back to where things are the way you like them! I like them fine the way they are! I've never been bitten by a dog. I've had dogs all my life. They seem to be smarter than a lot of people!