Phuket: Russian 'Anti-Santa' Behind Bars

webfact

Phuket 'anti-Santa' behind bars

Phuket Gazette

phuket-1-11811QLiQFTsBUYvFjQVgOSJwlKTTbf.jpg

THE ANTI-SANTA? Russian national Pavel Zhuravlev at Kamala Police Station today, with Thurin Sophapol in the background hiding her face from the press. Photo: Atchaa Khamlo

phuket-4-11811AoQWeaoOXtAqRxrUoVQdeHtycH.jpg

Police seized an undisclosed number of items believed to have been stolen by Zhuravlev. Photo: Atchaa Khamlo

PHUKET: -- A Russian man was arrested by Kamala Police yesterday on suspicion of robbing several homes during the festive holidays.

The 35-year-old, Pavel Zhuravlev, was arrested at 3am at a house where he was staying on Soi Massayid Naka in Kamala.

He was found in possession of 800 milligrams of ya ice (methamphetamine) and drug-taking paraphernalia, as well as many items that police suspect were stolen, police announced today at a press conference.

“We tracked him down by following the signal from a Mac notebook, that was stolen in Chalong,” said Kamala Police Superintendent Nathapakin Kwanchaipruek.

Mr Zhuravlev was charged with the possession and use of drugs, robbery and is also looking to face overstay charges once his visa status has been confirmed by the Phuket Immigration Office.

One victim has already stepped forward and identified a Mac Air notebook, two 3G iPads, a watch, a driver’s license and a mobile phone as his.

Mr Zhuravlev confessed that he broke into the victim’s house in Chalong on December 24 at about 7am, said police.

The rest of the items seized in the raid, such as bags, mobile phones, cameras and binoculars, Mr Zhuravlev said belonged to him.

Police said that they were skeptical and planned to continue their investigation of both him and his partner Thurin Sophapol, 29.

Ms Thurin tested positive in a drug test and will be charged with using drugs.

Currently police are looking for more people to step forward and identify their belongings.

A Swedish woman whose home in Patong was broken into on December 7 was summoned to the press conference to identify whether or not Zhuravlev was one of the thieves that broke into her home.

She told the Gazette, “When we woke up in the morning we found the window on the ground floor had been forced open and many things were gone, such as a Mac Air notebook, our mobile phones and a watch.

“From the CCTV camera in the house we were able to see that two foreign men broke in at about 3am while we were sleeping on the first floor. Over 200,000 baht of things were stolen,” she said.

The Swedish woman tried to identify the items stolen from her house, but didn’t find any until she noticed a white watch Thurin was wearing, which she said was hers.

Ms Thurin said Mr Zhuravlev gave the watch to her. However, the Swedish woman was unable to positively identify Thurin based on the CCTV footage of the break-in.

The pair were due to be charged in court this afternoon.

“If they seek bail, we will ask the court to deny their request,” said Col Nathapakin of Kamala Police.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle11811.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2011-12-26

yeah, we really need more scumbags like this one....Most Thais dont make a difference between Russians and other Farangs....they are all same to them, so ONE A.H. like this giving us all a bad reputation....breaking in houses?...throw him in a deep black hole and post it to Russian Newspapers.

WE DONT WANT YOU HERE if you can not behave like normal humans do.

I am hearing and reading more and more about ice addicts (foreign ones) stealing what they can to support their habits. Is ice that much cheaper in Thailand than their home countries?

A little bird told me it might be around 500 baht for a hit. I don't know how that compares to the west.

lol... i don't know either, i have to admit

I am hearing and reading more and more about ice addicts (foreign ones) stealing what they can to support their habits. Is ice that much cheaper in Thailand than their home countries?

A little bird told me it might be around 500 baht for a hit. I don't know how that compares to the west.

Way more expensive in Thailand than it is in the US, at least. I don't quite understand it.

Maybe he and others came here for other reasons and started taking drugs while here or were already taking them. Might also be that they have a job which alowws them to afford it but here they don't have that.

or I guess he could have come because the food, accomodatrion, and women an all be cheap. Nicer weather than Russia. AND he can have his drugs...

The Russians are a very tough lot. Years of training with the army and probably service in Afghanistan makes for a very bad mind set.

It seems everywhere they go they are not welcome and that goes not only for scum like this...the lower end of the barrel. The rich Russians are despised in the ski chalets and private yachts. One chalet in Meribel (flash and very upmarket) had 6 rich Russians staying last year--the first thing they did was to fly in a bunch of hookers from Russia and then shag and drink the whole week. Class act.

They have no manners, believe only in violence and have no civility. God help us all.

If drugs were decriminalised and treated as the health issue that they are, then the possibility of this crime not happening may have existed.

Right, and just where would this chap have received his health care and who would have paid for it in Thailand? It seems he had no means of support other than theft. Therefore, even if not a druggie, he still would most likely have been a thief. Do you propose we decriminalize theft as well?

If drugs were decriminalised and treated as the health issue that they are, then the possibility of this crime not happening may have existed.

sry but thats bull...t, in China they just shoot drugabusers and dealers, Phuket was thx to Thaksin near free of drugs a couple of years ago, now one can buy Jaba, Meth and Crystal on every corner....there are some ppl living in LoS because there were not so many drugs like cocain here....now, no

party without them.... Drugs and Crime always come together, I personally dont need both here... If someone do, GO BACK to your homecountry and fight for Free Drugs there.

@ BookMan, how many Russians you know with ThaiLadys?? forget that, they just dont like Thais, they are here for the sun and cheap living but not for the girls

Right, and just where would this chap have received his health care and who would have paid for it in Thailand? It seems he had no means of support other than theft. Therefore, even if not a druggie, he still would most likely have been a thief. Do you propose we decriminalize theft as well?

sry but thats bull...t, in China they just shoot drugabusers and dealers, Phuket was thx to Thaksin near free of drugs a couple of years ago, now one can buy Jaba, Meth and Crystal on every corner....there are some ppl living in LoS because there were not so many drugs like cocain here....now, no

party without them.... Drugs and Crime always come together, I personally dont need both here... If someone do, GO BACK to your homecountry and fight for Free Drugs there.

@ BookMan, how many Russians you know with ThaiLadys?? forget that, they just dont like Thais, they are here for the sun and cheap living but not for the girls

Well your opinion is fine however as decriminalisation here (or in the former Soviet Union as far as I am aware) has not yet been undertaken we can never know if it MAY have stopped this crime. Therefore it is impossible for you to tell with any authority that this crime MAY have been avoided by decriminalisation.

As for the other comment about Thaksin... yeah shooting people without trial is always a good idea huh?

A friend of mine was personally shot dead by Police (David Kirk Williams RIP) in Phuket during those years. his guilt was never established. Outright slaughter of citizens or tourists without trial... mmmm what a good idea. Pure genius. I hope they dont extend that penalty to people who refuse to pay a 'traffic bribe hustle'.

The Russians are a very tough lot. Years of training with the army and probably service in Afghanistan makes for a very bad mind set.

It seems everywhere they go they are not welcome and that goes not only for scum like this...the lower end of the barrel. The rich Russians are despised in the ski chalets and private yachts. One chalet in Meribel (flash and very upmarket) had 6 rich Russians staying last year--the first thing they did was to fly in a bunch of hookers from Russia and then shag and drink the whole week. They left the chalet filthy, abused the poor young staff and left not a cent of a tip. Class act.

They have no social manners, are brash, constantly drunk, can be violenct and have no civility. They are unique for all the wrong reasons.

Edited by harleyclarkey

Yes, because its is a crime to use and sell. Legalise them and drugs and crime won't come together anymore.

so nationalistic posts at this topic. if you reading news here at thaivisa - you will see what crime not have nationality and every country have own morons, but some peoples here trying to judge all peoples from one country only based on nationality. God is your judge, good luck.