Blocking Walking Along The Beach @ Arkbar

Now I understand where all the noise is coming from . Makes a mokery our of their previous claims that they play their music responsibly.I suppose money talks.

What does a portable and temporary banner on the beach have to do with the volume of music? I was under the impression that all comments had to be about the topic created?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The banners are clearly there to prevent that their owercrowded parties spill over to the adjacent bar named "Sober".

That one sells drinks at almost half Ark Bar´s prices, and without need to wait 15 minutes to be served, so the risk is obvious.

Personally I would say Ark Bars densely placed sunbeds all the way to the water block the beach much more than those banners.

All beaches in Thailand should be public, but the big question especially in this high tide is:

Where does ones property end, and where does the beach start?

Your comment is factual and accurate. Except that Ark Bar does not worry about Sober Bar selling drinks, and the Sober Bar customers drinking their drinks in Sober Bar. There are probably 100 bars within a 300 metre radius of Ark Bar.

Ark Bar does not like tourists bringing drinks into Ark Bar regardless of where they are purchased. It is the same as any business, with bills and staff to pay. I do not know of any bars where drinks purchased elsewhere are welcome. The Ark Bar policy on this is to allow a guest to bring an opened beer, soft drink or water in, no hassles, but there is an expectation that the next drink will be purchased at Ark Bar.

Not unreasonable!

Edited by ysamui

Ark bar is just one of the options on Chaweng beach. A welcome one in my opinion. Sometimes its pleasant to sit on a beach and listen to loud music and enjoy a barbecue and a few drinks.

Other times I prefer a more quiet environment so choose a different stretch of beach.

I really don't understand what some people are moaning about.

Nor would most of the tourists I would guess.

• Like 1

does this only apply to humans so if i go dressed as a dog i can get passed

The temporary banners never stopped anyone from walking along the beach.

The banners did reduce the width of the walkway - Guilty.

The banners never stopped it completely- Innocent

Ark bar is just one of the options on Chaweng beach. A welcome one in my opinion. Sometimes its pleasant to sit on a beach and listen to loud music and enjoy a barbecue and a few drinks.

Other times I prefer a more quiet environment so choose a different stretch of beach.

Thank you Smokie36 for posting a sensible comment.

Ark Bar is not for everyone, nor does it aim it's marketing at the local residents. It is a legitimate business targeted at the tourist trade.

If I ever get a night away from work, I would choose a quieter location to spend my night.

But it is horses for courses... wouldn't the world be a boring place if we all liked and did the same things.

The Ark Bar policy or expectation on drink purchasing is as follows:

Any customer who is walking along the beach or enters Ark Bar with an opened beer, soft drink or water is made as welcome as someone without a drink in hand. However there is an expectation that the next and all further drink purchases will be made at Ark Bar.

We certainly discourage a bag full of beer purchased at the local 7eleven.

Does anyone know of a bar in Koh Samui that allows customers to buy their drinks elsewhere and expect to use the bars services and amenities without a purchase?

If you can tell me the name of the bar that does allow this, I will be able to tell you the name of a bar that will be broke soon!

Edited by ysamui

Ark Bar is not for everyone, nor does it aim it's marketing at the local residents. It is a legitimate business targeted at the tourist trade.

If I ever get a night away from work, I would choose a quieter location to spend my night.

But it is horses for courses... wouldn't the world be a boring place if we all liked and did the same things.

Have to say I agree pretty much with both these quotes. Ark Bar is not the place I would go to. I don't like it at all. But I know many people that do. It is undoubtedly a popular place for the - shall we say - younger visitors to the island who seem to be happy there.

If they are acting illegally, then it is right that they should be criticised and if possible, held to account.

The one issue I would have is this rather lame attempt at compassion, simply because they employ a large number of thai people. As far as I can tell they are a business, not a charity.

The Ark Bar policy or expectation on drink purchasing is as follows:

Any customer who is walking along the beach or enters Ark Bar with an opened beer, soft drink or water is made as welcome as someone without a drink in hand. However there is an expectation that the next and all further drink purchases will be made at Ark Bar.

We certainly discourage a bag full of beer purchased at the local 7eleven.

Does anyone know of a bar in Koh Samui that allows customers to buy their drinks elsewhere and expect to use the bars services and amenities without a purchase?

If you can tell me the name of the bar that does allow this, I will be able to tell you the name of a bar that will be broke soon!

There are plenty who would ask you to leave if you arrived with a beer in your hand so more than reasonable I say!

• Like 2

Have to say I agree pretty much with both these quotes. Ark Bar is not the place I would go to. I don't like it at all. But I know many people that do. It is undoubtedly a popular place for the - shall we say - younger visitors to the island who seem to be happy there.

If they are acting illegally, then it is right that they should be criticised and if possible, held to account.

The one issue I would have is this rather lame attempt at compassion, simply because they employ a large number of thai people. As far as I can tell they are a business, not a charity.

Thanks for the open mind. I have no intention of looking or asking for compassion for Ark Bar. I am merely stating the facts regarding the comments that are being made. My salary will not increase or decrease if locals like or dislike Ark Bar. My workload will be less if the locals do not come. For better or for worse, I am only trying to get the truth across.

Thanks for the open mind.

Firstly, I must say, that you are asking or expecting me to reply about decisions and practises based on economic and business principles. Great, no problem.

However, the vast majority of comments prior to yours have been based on impressions or personal preferences, certainly not factual or using business acumen. I welcome your reply.

Yes, it is a business. A business is required to hire and pay staff. Most business makes decisions based on financial, ethical and moral grounds, with varying proportions according to the subject involved.

The fact that Ark Bar employs over 200 staff is not reason for a pat on the back. These staff are employed so the business can make money. I made the comment about staff to highlight this as one of the many benefits that Ark Bar provides for the local community.

Hoping that readers and authors would compare the Ark Bar benefits/positives to what benefits/positives or negatives the reviewer and these negative/selfish comments have for the local Thai people.

I have no intention of looking or asking for compassion for Ark Bar. It is a business. I am an employee. I am merely stating the facts regarding the incorrect or misinformed comments that are being made about Ark Bar. My salary will not increase or decrease if locals like or dislike Ark Bar. My workload will be less if the locals do not come.

For better or for worse, I am only trying to get the truth across.

Wow, someone has a lot of free time...and is wound pretty tightly. Relax dude, take a pill. Put your feet up. Get a massage....

ysamui says:

Ark Bar does not like tourists bringing drinks into Ark Bar regardless of where they are purchased.

And then says:

Any customer who is walking along the beach or enters Ark Bar with an opened beer, soft drink or water is made as welcome as someone without a drink in hand.

Spot the syllogism? wink.png

1. I have never had anyone stop or question me when I walk from the beach road through their resort to the beach. As a matter of fact, I would think this would be encouraged as potential walk-in customers.

2. It is understandable to not want outside beverages brought in, but how many other bars anywhere in Samui have put up large (or even small) signs to broadcast this?

• Like 1

Wow, someone has a lot of free time...and is wound pretty tightly. Relax dude, take a pill. Put your feet up. Get a massage....

ysamui says:

Ark Bar does not like tourists bringing drinks into Ark Bar regardless of where they are purchased.

And then says:

Any customer who is walking along the beach or enters Ark Bar with an opened beer, soft drink or water is made as welcome as someone without a drink in hand.

Spot the syllogism? wink.png

1. I have never had anyone stop or question me when I walk from the beach road through their resort to the beach. As a matter of fact, I would think this would be encouraged as potential walk-in customers.

2. It is understandable to not want outside beverages brought in, but how many other bars anywhere in Samui have put up large (or even small) signs to broadcast this?

Very good smile.png haha... Major premise: All men are mortal. Minor premise: All Greeks are men. Conclusion: All Greeks are mortal.

Major premise: All mortals die. Minor premise: Some men are mortals. Conclusion: Some men die. I should of course said "unopened drinks" -

"Ark Bar does not like tourists bringing unopened drinks into Ark Bar regardless of where they are purchased." The signs are necessary due to the large number of tourists who are attempting to "smuggle" drinks in. Nothing that we have not all done at some stage of our lives. It does seem to be getting worse now!

Where do you recommend for this massage and what is the pill called?

Interesting how it is possible for some to post in different colours (an option provided in the tool bar above) while It is not ok for others.

I do not live 24/7 at the computer lol.

• Like 1

I've been following this thread with amusement since it started with a whinge from some newcomer who obviously didn't like it there. The way everyone jumped in to condemn them for their "100% illegal" activity - without bothering to find out whether they actually had written, paid and officially signed permits - has been hilarious! One guy writes up a fairly whiny post, with any number of exaggerations in it, and every one is on the warpath!

I actually wanted to jump in to defend the Ark Bar against these baseless unqualified "it's illegal" comments (all of which were based solely on the original whining post, and no first-hand knowledge or observation), and the farcical suggestion that the owners of the Ark Bar should have a little more respect for the king than to "wantonly disregard the one small concession that is asked by the royal family of beachfront owners regarding public access to the beach" (again, based solely on the original whining post, and no first-hand knowledge or observation whatsoever), but the conversation got a little less hysterical after that, and turned to the foreign drinks issue...

I'd like to say, good on you Terry for coming on here to confront these people. wai.gif

I'm interested now, however, if those unqualified accusations of illegality, and the ridiculous accusation of disrespect for the king and disregard for the royal family, are going to be taken back now; now that it turns out that they do in fact have written, paid and officially signed permits for placing furniture on the beach? Perhaps even apologised for?

Disclaimer: I like the Ark Bar. The Ark Bar was the first place I stayed when I first came to Samui last July, and, had it not been for the fantastic time I had during the two weeks I was there, I probably wouldn't be living in Samui now. It was also the place I stayed for the first two weeks when I moved here in September, before finding that Lamai was more to my taste. Friends & I regularly go there for dinner and/or drinks. I am not being paid for my post. smile.png

• Like 1

The fact that Ark Bar employs over 200 staff is not reason for a pat on the back. These staff are employed so the business can make money. I made the comment about staff to highlight this as one of the many benefits that Ark Bar provides for the local community.

That is a fair comment. But the same could be said about Family Mart, Conrad, or Bangkok Airways. An interesting and perhaps provocative list.laugh.png

At the end of the day, we are a tourist island, and you are providing a product that the market wants. I would support your efforts to protect and promote your business. As you say, you are doing that in a legal way, so no-one should really complain too much.

• Like 1

I've been following this thread with amusement since it started with a whinge from some newcomer who obviously didn't like it there. The way everyone jumped in to condemn them for their "100% illegal" activity - without bothering to find out whether they actually had written, paid and officially signed permits - has been hilarious! One guy writes up a fairly whiny post, with any number of exaggerations in it, and every one is on the warpath!

I actually wanted to jump in to defend the Ark Bar against these baseless unqualified "it's illegal" comments (all of which were based solely on the original whining post, and no first-hand knowledge or observation), and the farcical suggestion that the owners of the Ark Bar should have a little more respect for the king than to "wantonly disregard the one small concession that is asked by the royal family of beachfront owners regarding public access to the beach" (again, based solely on the original whining post, and no first-hand knowledge or observation whatsoever), but the conversation got a little less hysterical after that, and turned to the foreign drinks issue...

I'd like to say, good on you Terry for coming on here to confront these people. wai.gif

I'm interested now, however, if those unqualified accusations of illegality, and the ridiculous accusation of disrespect for the king and disregard for the royal family, are going to be taken back now; now that it turns out that they do in fact have written, paid and officially signed permits for placing furniture on the beach? Perhaps even apologised for?

Disclaimer: I like the Ark Bar. The Ark Bar was the first place I stayed when I first came to Samui last July, and, had it not been for the fantastic time I had during the two weeks I was there, I probably wouldn't be living in Samui now. It was also the place I stayed for the first two weeks when I moved here in September, before finding that Lamai was more to my taste. Friends & I regularly go there for dinner and/or drinks. I am not being paid for my post. smile.png

You might find it hilarious. I am one of the people that posted that & you have to read that in the context of the post as a reply to a query.

Yes it is illegal to block a beach in Thailand., if you have a one off permission great.Ysamui ( Terry ) actually admited that they left a fairly narrow path.

I think the original post & subsequent early replies, which everyone seems to have gravitated away from was in regard to a function re Guinness book of records I believe, Longest Beach Party.

Am I correct there?

I think the complaint was about the beach being blocked & the noise levels. From what was posted it went on for something like 17 days.

Perhaps addressing these initial concerns might alleviate the criticism & we can put this issue to bed.thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

The 2 temporary tables/platforms are 2 metres in length. A total of 4 metres in the water for 4-5 hours twice a week.

They are platforms for Thai fire-show performers. That's correct, Thai (we are in Thailand) staff, who get paid by Ark Bar to entertain hundreds of tourists 2 nights per week.

Many of these tourists make the decision to come to Koh Samui based on the popularity of Ark Bar.

While these tourists are in Samui, they spend money in hundreds of different shops and locations. Maybe some money is spent where your wife, girlfriend or next door neighbour works. This expenditure may even help to pay her salary.

As for blocking Chaweng Beach: What about 2 beach towels laid side by side, do they not also block the beach?

Do the beach towels help provide entertainment to hundreds of people every week or help pay the wages of local Thai workers?

Wether you like the Ark Bar or not, I think it's a fair enough statement that people may come to Samui based on the bar's popularity. Just go there pretty much any given day or rather evening of the week. Since a few years they have a very successful concept going on.

Edited by Rooo

The OP:

Yesterday i noticed the ARK bar building a ugly looking wall of banners along down to the sea looking like they are trying to imprison tourists in there bar...is this legal / normal behaivour ? i know we are in samui but come on .. what gives these people the right to block tourist to talk along the beach front and trying to TAKING over it seems chaweng beach, i feel sorry for anyone with a business on that beach blocking the view of near by resorts and bars , im not going to moan like a old person about the volume of the music but please sort the music out atleast ! :P

I agree about the volume (as an old person would) but have you "sorted out the music" at least?

You might find it hilarious. I am one of the people that posted that & you have to read that in the context of the post as a reply to a query.

Yes it is illegal to block a beach in Thailand., if you have a one off permission great.Ysamui ( Terry ) actually admited that they left a fairly narrow path.

I think the original post & subsequent early replies, which everyone seems to have gravitated away from was in regard to a function re Guinness book of records I believe, Longest Beach Party.

Am I correct there?

I think the complaint was about the beach being blocked & the noise levels. From what was posted it went on for something like 17 days.

Perhaps addressing these initial concerns might alleviate the criticism & we can put this issue to bed.thumbsup.gif

You are correct Roo it was the world record attempt. Sadly they didn't make it.....the blockage and noise was all in vain in the end biggrin.png

The 2 temporary tables/platforms are 2 metres in length. A total of 4 metres in the water for 4-5 hours twice a week.

They are platforms for Thai fire-show performers. That's correct, Thai (we are in Thailand) staff, who get paid by Ark Bar to entertain hundreds of tourists 2 nights per week.

Many of these tourists make the decision to come to Koh Samui based on the popularity of Ark Bar.

While these tourists are in Samui, they spend money in hundreds of different shops and locations. Maybe some money is spent where your wife, girlfriend or next door neighbour works. This expenditure may even help to pay her salary.

As for blocking Chaweng Beach: What about 2 beach towels laid side by side, do they not also block the beach?

Do the beach towels help provide entertainment to hundreds of people every week or help pay the wages of local Thai workers?

Wether you like the Ark Bar or not, I think it's a fair enough statement that people may come to Samui based on the bar's popularity. Just go there pretty much any given day or rather evening of the week. Since a few years they have a very successful concept going on.

They certainly do it is legendary, and they do a good service considering they have 80 metres of bar/restaurant/beach to cover. I'm not one to moan about Samui not being what is used to be, I still like the Ark Bar now.....but i have to admit i did enjoy it when it was like this and i'm glad i had the chance to

post-102811-0-93246400-1334668661_thumb.

Thank you for taking the time to read “the other side of the story”.

I will attempt to answer the final few questions and hopefully put these issues to rest.

About 4 years ago there were 3 and often 4 bars on the beach near Ark Bar that attempted to play music and volume levels higher than Ark Bar.

These bars also stayed open a lot later than Ark Bar. It was common to read and hear Ark Bar receiving the blame for 3 or 4 am music being played. At the time I declined from naming these bars, they have since closed down. Prior to 2am this often resulted in a “battle of the sounds” in which there were no winners.

Currently Ark Bar is the only bar on the beach in this area that regularly plays music that can be described as loud.

The sound system at Ark Bar has been improved and upgraded to be able to provide a more controllable and balanced sound that will actually decrease the overall volume levels. This has been done by increasing the number of speakers and dividing the areas into individually controllable zones. The result is the customers can enjoy a more balanced sound and the overall volume is reduced, as there is no need to blast the sound through a lesser number of speakers.

The banners are only erected for party days or on special occasions. Tonight I walked to the area concerned and the only “barriers” are a row of trees and decorations from Sober Bar and the Ark Bar BBQ. Personally, I have no problem with the Sober Bar barriers as they are attractive and provide some division between the 2 businesses. They also allow enough room to “drive a truck through”. No complaints from me.

I do recall on one occasion over the New Year period when an unexpected high tide did make walking on the beach difficult. This was rectified the next time there was a high tide.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused.

I am not a lawyer, nor do I claim to be an expert on Thai law, however the legal advice I have been given by a qualified lawyer is that it is not illegal to put these temporary and easily moveable banners on the beach.

Yes, Ark Bar did contact the Guinness Book of Records; however their reply was that there is no category for the longest beach party. A new category would need to be created. This was not done.

If in fact Ark Bar did set a new world record, how would this be detrimental to Koh Samui? I expect that tourism (this is a tourist island) would increase, businesses would be positively affected and jobs would be created.

Ark Bar only has positive and good things to say about the Thai Royal Family. The Thai Royal Family is respected, loved and is held in the highest esteem by Ark Bar and all of it’s employees.

Terry Bouris
  • Like 1

I will attempt to answer the final few questions and hopefully put these issues to rest.

About 4 years ago there were 3 and often 4 bars on the beach near Ark Bar that attempted to play music and volume levels higher than Ark Bar.

These bars also stayed open a lot later than Ark Bar. It was common to read and hear Ark Bar receiving the blame for 3 or 4 am music being played. At the time I declined from naming these bars, they have since closed down. Prior to 2am this often resulted in a “battle of the sounds” in which there were no winners.

Currently Ark Bar is the only bar on the beach in this area that regularly plays music that can be described as loud.

The sound system at Ark Bar has been improved and upgraded to be able to provide a more controllable and balanced sound that will actually decrease the overall volume levels. This has been done by increasing the number of speakers and dividing the areas into individually controllable zones. The result is the customers can enjoy a more balanced sound and the overall volume is reduced, as there is no need to blast the sound through a lesser number of speakers.

The banners are only erected for party days or on special occasions. Tonight I walked to the area concerned and the only “barriers” are a row of trees and decorations from Sober Bar and the Ark Bar BBQ. Personally, I have no problem with the Sober Bar barriers as they are attractive and provide some division between the 2 businesses. They also allow enough room to “drive a truck through”. No complaints from me.

I do recall on one occasion over the New Year period when an unexpected high tide did make walking on the beach difficult. This was rectified the next time there was a high tide.

I am not a lawyer, nor do I claim to be an expert on Thai law, however the legal advice I have been given by a qualified lawyer is that it is not illegal to put these temporary and easily moveable banners on the beach.

Yes, Ark Bar did contact the Guinness Book of Records; however their reply was that there is no category for the longest beach party. A new category would need to be created. This was not done.

If in fact Ark Bar did set a new world record, how would this be detrimental to Koh Samui? I expect that tourism (this is a tourist island) would increase, businesses would be positively affected and jobs would be created.

Ark Bar only has positive and good things to say about the Thai Royal Family. The Thai Royal Family is respected, loved and is held in the highest esteem by Ark Bar and all of it’s employees.

Terry Bouris

you might need to call another sound engineer to get another expert advice cause the sound is so saturated in bass at the ark bar, i was there for songkran and adding other woofers on the beach(they are directed to the ark bar) doesn't really help.

however as i carry earplugs in my pockets when going to such places it helps me to enjoy the place without too much disturbance from the noise.

The OP:

Yesterday i noticed the ARK bar building a ugly looking wall of banners along down to the sea looking like they are trying to imprison tourists in there bar...is this legal / normal behaivour ? i know we are in samui but come on .. what gives these people the right to block tourist to talk along the beach front and trying to TAKING over it seems chaweng beach, i feel sorry for anyone with a business on that beach blocking the view of near by resorts and bars , im not going to moan like a old person about the volume of the music but please sort the music out atleast ! tongue.png

I agree about the volume (as an old person would) but have you "sorted out the music" at least?

Hold tight the Ark Bar is in the middle of the night district in Samui. I do not think it shall upset residents as residents live further out and if one was silly enough to build a house in the center of the night district and complain about the noise then i wonder what kind of person thinks they can change a whole area just to suit them.

i would admit i live a bit out in the jungle and i would be pissed off if the Ark bar opened next to me but there is not much chance as from forward planning i realised that being out of the way of the center of toursime i might be in for a quieter spell.

Each section of samui has its own style. Chaweng is the cray party side of town. fishermans village is quieter. ( for some reason someone complained once that it was too quiet there ) can't please everyone, then banrak with some bars dotted around for some local expats,

Lamui for more tourists. Lipa noi and hua Thanon where u can still enjoy tropical peace. Nathong for alternative shoppning area.

just let it lie.. i think more people like the place than not like it or it would not be so suceessfull. i personally do not go there often not because i dis like it just not my scene any more. might go occasionally when friend come out but i like wtaching peopl enjoying themslves so there we go.

Terry Bouris

you might need to call another sound engineer to get another expert advice cause the sound is so saturated in bass at the ark bar, i was there for songkran and adding other woofers on the beach(they are directed to the ark bar) doesn't really help.

however as i carry earplugs in my pockets when going to such places it helps me to enjoy the place without too much disturbance from the noise.

Sonhkran is the biggest party in the Thai calender please don't tell me you are picking that day of all days to complain. i notice people do not compplain about the boxing stadiums or other business which behanve in similar ways. i wonder why.

I would understand if this was not an island and we only had one beach. but there are so many places to go. so people can have a beach about somehwere else

• Like 1

Sonhkran is the biggest party in the Thai calender please don't tell me you are picking that day of all days to complain. i notice people do not compplain about the boxing stadiums or other business which behanve in similar ways. i wonder why.

I would understand if this was not an island and we only had one beach. but there are so many places to go. so people can have a beach about somehwere else

i am never going to the ark bar, i was just there for songkran and giving my two cents as the manager talked about improvements for the sound system, maybe a suggestion box at the ark bar would be a good idea to get remarks other than coming from this forum to help improve the ark bar?

Am I correct there?

Am I correct there?

I hope that my factual and lucid responses have adequately replied to the questions, satisfied the concerns and defended the allegations made about Ark Bar.

Please contact me at any time if you have further questions about Ark Bar in general, the music volume levels or any other relevant concern that you want to clarify.

Terry Bouris

Well done to Terry for responding to all the negative nonsense on this thread.

The Ark Bar whether you like that scene or not, has evolved into one of the few modern and reasonable attractions for our party loving guests, who again, whether we like it or not, are one of the drivers of the islands economy. They provide a change from the stereotypical seedy nightlife on offer elsewhere and send visitors back home talking about it and surprised that it isn't just lady bars on Samui.

I am a regular visitor to the area, it is the party zone, and its hardly the place to head for if you want to have a leisurely stroll down the beach, so why shouldn't they use the space that they pay for permits for.

Keep up the good work Ark bar (not a customer anymore, Mrs Itsala has other ideas for my leisure time these days, alas!) and keep evolving and attracting more tourists to our Island.

• Like 1

What a good, simple tip - thanks for that one. Earplugs are now on my 'what to carry if I go to Chewang' list