Train Collides Into Pickup Truck; Kills 1, Injures Over 120

webfact

I drive and worry about myself here and never take it for granted for one minute as I watch cars tailgate cars and motorbikes. Motorbikes cutting off cars thinking they can win against a ton of metal or a car thinking they can stop in time when they are tailgating a motorbike.

I ride with the thought " if they don't die today they will die tomorrow " and each year the toll rises! Each year 12,000 death with about 60% of them on motorbikes and those in the age of 15-25yrs? then there is hundred of thousands that end up in the emergency room. If one is into pain go to a local hospital like Banglamung and look at all the pain for motorbike accident each day. They are killing themselves slowly and if the government ever made videos as to how their people drive around and act when they get behind the vehicle and how foreigners view them they think they loose face now?

It it will never change and the above doesn't even count the stupid accidents with trains.

Your figures are off. The official number of road fatalities are around 14.000. But only reporting the deaths on the spot and those reported to the police. The actual number is more like three times this figure.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh dear, yet another one. When will these idiots learn how to use level crossings ? I always look both ways approaching a crossing just in case a train IS coming and the gates have failed. My wife couldn't understand why I always say to her ' is there a train coming ' when we approach a crossing. I think she realises why now.....

We definitely need hi-speed train megaprojects here at this country.

Yes indeed, but not for the reason you're thinking of. Hi speed trains have no level-road-crossings and even the railroad track is completely sealed off from any other intruder... You had something else in mind!

" no level-road-crossings and even the railroad track is completely sealed off" That is how they build them in Japan and the West. What makes you think Thais would find this necessary?

I've been here 12 years. Rules: 1 never travel by public transport 2 always travel with 'lookout' in my car 3 keep one hand on the horn 4 slow right down at railway crossings 5 if a bus in the rear mirror MOVE OVER. 6 Pray.

LOL giggle.gif

but it makes you wonder how they have been able to retain such an unblemished record regarding air transportation?

yes excellent record for air safety. a feather in the cap to Thailand Aviation Industry.

Amazing Westerners in Thailand. Some still think that the bullet type trains when they arrive will be crossing roads at 300+km/hr. These trains use bridges! Truly Amazing. At least the Thais can blame it on a lack of education.

Do you really believe what you're writing? Have you ever seen high speed trains in Germany or France? At least no Thais are to blame for your lack of education...jap.gif

I always look both ways approaching a crossing just in case a train IS coming and the gates have failed. My wife couldn't understand why I always say to her ' is there a train coming ' when we approach a crossing. I think she realises why now.....

+1

Whether I'm on a bike, or in a car, I stop before the track threshold and check both ways before continuing. I've gotten beeped at a few times by folks behind me, but I don't care.

Amazing Westerners in Thailand. Some still think that the bullet type trains when they arrive will be crossing roads at 300+km/hr. These trains use bridges! Truly Amazing. At least the Thais can blame it on a lack of education.

Except that some people will obviously need a short cut across the track for their buffalos/motobikes/pickups. It will end in tears. Buffalo burgers anyone?

This is when I wish I lived in the US or Europe, because trains never derail or hit other vehicles there. The drivers in the "Westernized" countries are all safe and well trained in operating motor vehicles. Everyone knows not to drive when they are sleepy or when they have been drinking. NOT

Despite the clear irony, the difference is that when trains derail or hit buses in the "west" most of those involved are Caucasians and thus the typical TV poster's neo-sahib latent racism is not put on display.

I am surprised that the train derailed after hitting the pickup truck. The sheer mass of the engine should have kept it on the tracks.

Less chance of severe derailments such as this if the rail network was fully upgraded and the narrower gauge tracks replaced with standard gauge.

There are regular derailments in Thailand because of the gauge and the antiquity of the tracks themselves.

Edited by Oberkommando

This is when I wish I lived in the US or Europe, because trains never derail or hit other vehicles there. The drivers in the "Westernized" countries are all safe and well trained in operating motor vehicles. Everyone knows not to drive when they are sleepy or when they have been drinking. NOT

Absolutely there are all sorts of accidents in developed countries as you elude to and due to the same reasons you mention.

None of it though diminishes or negates the reality in Thailand about pervasive incompetence and lax safety.

PS; unrelated to race. Highly related to educational standards.

Edited by atyclb

I am surprised that the train derailed after hitting the pickup truck. The sheer mass of the engine should have kept it on the tracks.

Less chance of severe derailments such as this if the rail network was fully upgraded and the narrower gauge tracks replaced with standard gauge.

There are regular derailments in Thailand because of the gauge and the antiquity of the tracks themselves.

Good point.

Good points. Also, looking at the thairath pics, the track had a curve in it near the derailment.

Edited by MaxYakov

I hope no serious injuries on the train and a speedy recovery for all survivors. ...

I really wish not every accident in Thailand would bring about this Thailand vs The West discussion. Enough to do it every other incident... (beep: Sarcasm detector is ON).

Some overly derogatory comments have been removed.

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

8) Not to post extremely negative views of Thailand or derogatory comments directed towards all Thais.

Thailand is full of contrasts compared to England, traffic lights in Bangkok takes ages to change compared with England, conversely , in England, automatic gates at level crossings close 5 minutes before the train passes, very annoying if you are in a hurry. Incidentally the train driver has a closed circuit camera view of the crossing displayed in his cab.

A southbound train going from Surat Thani to Bangkok. I think there's a small problem with map reading here.

I guess that a splinter train is in fact a sprinter train. Are we falang or farang?

Likely a little bit splintered after hitting the pick up

I drive and worry about myself here and never take it for granted for one minute as I watch cars tailgate cars and motorbikes. Motorbikes cutting off cars thinking they can win against a ton of metal or a car thinking they can stop in time when they are tailgating a motorbike.

I ride with the thought " if they don't die today they will die tomorrow " and each year the toll rises! Each year 12,000 death with about 60% of them on motorbikes and those in the age of 15-25yrs? then there is hundred of thousands that end up in the emergency room. If one is into pain go to a local hospital like Banglamung and look at all the pain for motorbike accident each day. They are killing themselves slowly and if the government ever made videos as to how their people drive around and act when they get behind the vehicle and how foreigners view them they think they loose face now?

It it will never change and the above doesn't even count the stupid accidents with trains.

Your figures are off. The official number of road fatalities are around 14.000. But only reporting the deaths on the spot and those reported to the police. The actual number is more like three times this figure.

It is nice that you point that out but instead of being anal retentive as to reading other responses you might want to add your own opinion to the actual article instead of nick picking on data. by others. You seem to miss the point and the word " rising " in general. Let take your total 14,000 as I write it most likely has exceeded that total you yourself quote.