The Promenada Resort Mall

jaideeguy

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A very good question.

I wondered if it being an out of country organisation there might be some problems with the current shopping malls in Thailand.

I hope we get an enhancement on the current Chiang Mai offerings, and some better food choices.

My main concern is that this will be bigger than airport plaza, and the web site shows entrances and exits onto the Mahidol Road only. Anyone travelling from the south and east will have to head in the direction of airport plaza and then u-turn and join the rest of the traffic to this plaza. add all the schools in the area and you have a potential grid lock. I hope they have arrangements to exit via Big C to the Super Highway, but see nothing on the plans...

I like the idea of a new Plaza. but they must address the traffic issues.

Iain

I need MUJI and IKEA, please. Ok I know IKEA isn't going to be there but Muji is possible. I wouldn't mind Villa Market or Foodland either

I don't know about traffic issues - that seems to be a lost cause already in all of CM, not just this mall.

This is a old issue. There was a thread on it a year ago. At the time they had a web page with a lot more details on it. They were only going to go three stories high have a Park and the Parking lot would be big enough to accommodate a huge amount of vehicles. They were going to have a shuttle car from the parking lot to the mall. Also movie theaters.

It was due to open early 2012 but they ran into money problems. I am glad to see they are back on the building site and making progress. Hope they have not scaled back to much on the original plans. They were going to go for the upper end shops.

Interesting to see what the final project will look like. Personally I am looking forward to, it.

Talking of malls and traffic, can anyone enlighten me on the thinking behind closing off the access to Central Plaza from the road that leads from the airport? You used to be able to turn right at the lights just before the junction with Mahidol Road but now not.

I'm interested to try Burger King, KFC, McDonald's, Pizza Hut & Company, Sizzler, Svensons, Starbucks, Oishi, Dunkin Donuts et al, to see if they're any different. Sounds really exciting.

Don't worry ups, they are having a "Pie and Mash shop" in there 113.gif

Now I'm hungry!

As long as it's Kelly's, pie, mash, green liquor and a thumbprint on the plate.....the food of god's.

Talking of malls and traffic, can anyone enlighten me on the thinking behind closing off the access to Central Plaza from the road that leads from the airport? You used to be able to turn right at the lights just before the junction with Mahidol Road but now not.

Goal is clearly to clean up the unholy mess at that intersection especially on weekends. A lot of progress has been made; the most brilliant improvement was the 'always green' left-most lane when driving south on Mahidol and turning left towards the main intersection with the Hang Dong road.

Also good was not allowing traffic exiting from the mall to immediately worm their way right to join Mahidol North-Bound, or even all the way to the right for a U-turn back to the main intersection with the Hang Dong road.

It's all good.

I'm interested to try Burger King, KFC, McDonald's, Pizza Hut & Company, Sizzler, Svensons, Starbucks, Oishi, Dunkin Donuts et al, to see if they're any different. Sounds really exciting.

A really decent Fish and Chip shop with good, clean sit down area would be nice. Brown sauce, Gravy and good Mayo would be fine additions. One can only dream !

A really decent Fish and Chip shop with good, clean sit down area would be nice. Brown sauce, Gravy and good Mayo would be fine additions. One can only dream !

There's been a zillion quotes on TV and still no real consensus of a decent Fish and Chip shop.

So I just can't imagine who would set one up in a mall, with high rents.

There's been a zillion quotes on TV and still no real consensus of a decent Fish and Chip shop.

So I just can't imagine who would set one up in a mall, with high rents.

There's 'Bistro', at Nim Plaza near the Airport (where Rim Ping airport is), next to Wine Connection. Very, very good Fish & Chips.

I'm hoping for more shops of that kind at Promenada too; independent shops like Wine Connection, Butter is Better, Bistro and Thom's Coffee, and some nice Thai restaurants.

There's 'Bistro', at Nim Plaza near the Airport (where Rim Ping airport is), next to Wine Connection. Very, very good Fish & Chips.

I'm hoping for more shops of that kind at Promenada too; independent shops like Wine Connection, Butter is Better, Bistro and Thom's Coffee, and some nice Thai restaurants.

I hear you, but F&C is predominantly farang dish - can't recall seeing a Thai eat it anywhere, I just don't see the Thai's taking to it in droves, like the established Pizza Hut, KFC etc, and the custom required to pay the rents wouldn't be there. I think any venture must guarantee the Thai's will want it However, I've been known to be wrong.

I hear you, but F&C is predominantly farang dish - can't recall seeing a Thai eat it anywhere, I just don't see the Thai's taking to it in droves, like the established Pizza Hut, KFC etc, and the custom required to pay the rents wouldn't be there. I think any venture must guarantee the Thai's will want it However, I've been known to be wrong.

True, but Nim Daily near the airport and also Rum Choke mall are positioned with a focus that's a bit more up market and international and that seems to work well. Rum Choke of course also has a McDonalds, so you can have both. From reading the Promenada blurb it seems they are also aiming for this kind of 'boutique mall' thing. So here's hoping.

EDIT: I think rent for a small shop at Nim Daily is just 30,000 baht? So that's not cost-prohibitive to any successful business.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

What's gravy and mayo got to do with fish and chips 39.gif

What's gravy and mayo got to do with fish and chips 39.gif

I was thinking the same when I read that post. Gravy & mayo ... oh well each to their own taste.

I was thinking the same when I read that post. Gravy & mayo ... oh well each to their own taste.

I guess to cater to the Dutch and American's......but then it wouldn't be a real Fish and Chip place.

As I said they were talking about upscale.

Don't really think they want a lot of people wandering around with a news paper full of fish and chips.