Uk Healthcare Benefits For Brits Living In Thailand

Mobi

Well as for the comment on refused a pay out from an insurance company I dont trust them an inch, I cannot say I have good experiences with any of them. You give them omey in good faith and hope if anything happens that they will be fair and pay out as well, but they wriggle and squirm and try not to pay out if they can, thats how they make their money. I can totally understand why people dont get involved with them. But, you should put some of your own money asside for a time when an unfortunate event takes place and hope you have been doing it long enough to hedge that bet.

I know of one famous household name who does just that puts an amount of money into a fund rather than into an Insurance company policy, seems to work.

Yes I agree with that, putting all your eggs into one basket can be a recipe for disaster. I have sufficient funds over and above my insurance policy. Too many people here have neither.

Edited by theblether

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I agree with that, putting all your eggs into one basket can be a recipe for disaster. I have sufficient funds over and above my insurance policy. Too many people here have neither.

"Too many people here have neither"

Do you know that for a fact, is it an educated guess or maybe a straw poll based on the comments on this thread?

"Too many people here have neither"

Do you know that for a fact, is it an educated guess or maybe a straw poll based on the comments on this thread?

Yes I know it for a fact, I was in the company of a guy a couple of days ago who not only had no insurance but was also struggling to get the deposit together for a room. He is only one of several guys I know here who are surviving by the skin of their teeth.

I know of another guy that got involved in a fight, ended up with a broken jaw. Insurance? None. I know another guy who happily beat cancer in the UK, decided to come to Thailand on holiday to celebrate and promptly fell off his motorbike. Insurance? None, He thought it was too expensive.

I also know of two retirees that stepped off the aircraft and promptly took strokes, one devestating and now wheelchair bound, the other guy is back on his feet......Insurance? Yes, thank god.

Go ask the UK embassy in BKK how many times a day they hear these stories,Thailand was ( maybe still is ) easily the most dangerous place on Earth per head of UK visitors. There are also too many people assuming that they will be fit to fly back to the UK if anything goes wrong, by the nature of illness and accident in too many cases that is an assumption too far.

As a rule of thumb, if you live in Thailand make sure you can survive in Thailand, make sure you have budgeted for medical care and emergencies.

I could go on but I cant be bothered, just about anyone that has lived here for a while can recount multiple stories like mine.

As a rule of thumb, if you live in Thailand make sure you can survive in Thailand, make sure you have budgeted for medical care and emergencies.

I could go on but I cant be bothered, just about anyone that has lived here for a while can recount multiple stories like mine.

I have no wish to prolong my life beyond it's natural length.

After 65 who cares, how much fun can most people still have?

My friend who is an American was in England on holiday, he got knocked of his bike, he suffered a broken leg and complications,he was treat in hospital in the UK , He told them that he was Insured ,but the Hospital did not claim from his insurers, Thats the other side of the story,Hospitals not claiming from insured people from who ever or which ever County's they come from.

he got knocked off his bike suggest it wasnt his fault???

True but that still needs the Hospital bills to be paid, Also that opens another can of worms, Why should the (National health) Public pay for people who get hurt in private cars, Why does there insurance not pay the Hospital bills. the National Health service was not set up to treat Alcoholics, Smokers fat People and car Accidents, Or Druggys

True but that still needs the Hospital bills to be paid, Also that opens another can of worms, Why should the (National health) Public pay for people who get hurt in private cars, Why does there insurance not pay the Hospital bills. the National Health service was not set up to treat Alcoholics, Smokers fat People and car Accidents, Or Druggys

or

People with STDs, sporting injuries, women having children, children of people with hereditary diseases, etc.

Where would you draw the line?

Edited by ludditeman

True but that still needs the Hospital bills to be paid, Also that opens another can of worms, Why should the (National health) Public pay for people who get hurt in private cars, Why does there insurance not pay the Hospital bills. the National Health service was not set up to treat Alcoholics, Smokers fat People and car Accidents, Or Druggies

or

People with STDs, sporting injuries, women having children, children of people with hereditary diseases, etc.

Totally agree with you , Sporting Injuries should have to be paid for , by Sport Insurance,, women having baby's thats different, but they should have to Contribute to the cost , that way people may think twice about having 3/4 baby's to 3/4 different Fathers.

If you look back the NHS was set up for the Poor people to get medical treatment.Not for Modern day related injuries, IE Cars ext, or self inflicted drug related or Alcohol related, Inflictions , The same for Fat people , OK some have genuine reasons that they are Obie's but 1 in 5 are to fat in the UK now.Also there is the added strain of health tourist who come from other country's have the baby then go home,Asylum seekers who have life threatening deceases , which cost billions to treat because they are on Medication for life, We pay, the public.

I have no wish to prolong my life beyond it's natural length.

After 65 who cares, how much fun can most people still have?

Wait until you are 64 and 364 days,you will change your views.

During the intermission we'll be showing a short film entitled "how to write effectively to make new friends and endear yourself to others" and this will be followed by a talk given by "theblether", not!

Sounds like a JW door step sermon. laugh.png

Inflammatory and argumentitive posts removed from view also quoted replies to the same.

Please calm down and discuss rationaly without all the finger pointing and acrimonious

comments

True but that still needs the Hospital bills to be paid, Also that opens another can of worms, Why should the (National health) Public pay for people who get hurt in private cars, Why does there insurance not pay the Hospital bills. the National Health service was not set up to treat Alcoholics, Smokers fat People and car Accidents, Or Druggies

or

Totally agree with you , Sporting Injuries should have to be paid for , by Sport Insurance,, women having baby's thats different, but they should have to Contribute to the cost , that way people may think twice about having 3/4 baby's to 3/4 different Fathers.

If you look back the NHS was set up for the Poor people to get medical treatment.Not for Modern day related injuries, IE Cars ext, or self inflicted drug related or Alcohol related, Inflictions , The same for Fat people , OK some have genuine reasons that they are Obie's but 1 in 5 are to fat in the UK now.Also there is the added strain of health tourist who come from other country's have the baby then go home,Asylum seekers who have life threatening deceases , which cost billions to treat because they are on Medication for life, We pay, the public.

If you ask anybody who works for the NHS they will tell you that alcohol and alcoholics eat up more public funds than any other group.

Alcohol should be taxed like tobacco to pay instead of the rest of us subsidising the negative outcomes of others drug habits.

What so many contributors [all involuntary] and brainless ones do not realise is that they have paid twice as much for National Insurance as they believe.

The clever mandarins who drew this up after the war [not the elected government who were as much use as the committee of a working man's club ] The permanent civil servants made the payments appear to be divided between employers and employees to purposely hide your true payments.

The employers contribution ,roughly half the fee,would be used by the employer when assessing the cost of employing a worker.

The total sum of 'employers contributions' would also be used as money lost when the trade unions sought a pay increase...

In other words .You, the employee paid BOTH sums

they also the put a cap on the amount you had to pay from your salary..

this was roughly the equivalent of what a middle manager would pay thereby decreasing the amount that the top earners would have to contribute.

All of us now of pensionable age had to pay 44 years contributions into this scam.

There is no point throwing the toys out of the pram.........the OP is taking a serious gamble.......a gamble that he is almost certainly going to lose. So ask yourself? Are you insured in Thailand or not?......and who is going to pick up the pieces if your not?

Huh! Are you in some kind of apparel universe? I have already stated:

a. - Any health insurance cover would have little or no benefit to me due to my myriad pre-existing conditions.

b. - That I have sufficient funds to pay for virtually any medical emergency that may arise while I in Thailand. By way of example, it is looking like I may need a heart valve replacement which will cost around 700k – 1 million Baht at Bumrungrad, (where my chosen medical carers work). This will be no problem for me although it doesn’t stop me looking into the possibility of having it done on the National Health – and paying for it.

Also, I would never rule out the possibility of returning to the UK to live if my medical situation deteriorated to the point where I feel it might be the best option. I have much family there and sufficient funds to get a place of my own should I need to do so.

So where is the gamble? I have covered all my bases and probably have more options than many who feel they hold adequate medical cover, as insurance is not always what it purports to be – and believe me I know, I spent much of my working life in insurance.

You just seem determined to drive home your prejudiced and ill-considered views regardless of the facts and the circumstances.

Have a nice day and keep healthy – you never know - your medical cover may be declined on a technicality….
licklips.gif

I'm with you on this Mobi

I'm in exactly the same position.

If I could not afford to pay for any medical problems I have now or in the future I would go back to live in the UK.

But as I can I won't

• Like 1

Would that TV had a better search function.

I've always argued that those who slag off the UK, often adding they'll never set foot in the place again, ought to remember it is to the UK they will return when their life here goes to rat sh1t.

A better search function might help reveal who these hypocrites are.

A further search might also reveal rants against immigrants abusing the NHS, migrant workers abusing the NHS and people sponging off the system.

It seems at the very least those hated islands provide many with the freedom and peace of mind to go wherever they wish in the world assured that someone back in the land of misery will look after them when their dream of life overseas crashes and burns.

Well make sure you meet the income requirements or you might find you are returning without your loved ones. The UK is at last becoming the closed door so many here on Thaivisa have argued it should be.

Edited by GuestHouse
  • Like 2

I've always argued that those who slag off the UK, often adding they'll never set foot in the place again, ought to remember it is to the UK they will return when their life here goes to rat sh1t.

A further search might also reveal rants against immigrants abusing the NHS, migrant workers abusing the NHS and people sponging off the system.

It seems at the very least those hated islands provide many with the freedom and peace of mind to go wherever they wish in the world assured that someone back in the land of misery will look after them when their dream of life overseas crashes and burns.

Well make sure you meet the income requirements or you might find you are returning without your loved ones. The UK is at last becoming the closed door so many here on Thaivisa have argued it should be.

Sorry GH, something in the back of my mind tells me we have been here before.

I fail to see the connection between people who 'rant' about spongers and immigrants abusing the system and those deciding to the return to live in the UK as they are entitled to do as British citizens, most of whom have probably paid tax and nic for most of their working lives.

So just because we live overseas that somehow disqualifies us from critising our home country?

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

During the intermission we'll be showing a short film entitled "how to write effectively to make new friends and endear yourself to others" and this will be followed by a talk given by "theblether", not!

Apologies, I didnt know Thaivisa was a popularity contest. Just so you know I love little kittens, apple pie and God bless whichever country you come from, and your also a very handsome man.....can we be friends now?

I am with you on this one..........and your right about the UK becoming the closed door that it should have been. The country has changed rapidly in the last couple of years, people know we are deep in it and threats of strike action by public service workers etc are met with hostility from the public.

The concept of any ex-pat British passport holder getting free access on demand to the NHS is quite frankly ludicrious, how many are there throughout the world? 5 million? 10 million? On top of that if you added on their spouses and dependants the fugure would be extraordinary. The NHS would buckle under the strain of people showing up looking for expensive medical treatment in exchange for the price of a flight.

When you make an adult decision to move away from the UK live with it, and live with the consequences.

I am with you on this one..........and your right about the UK becoming the closed door that it should have been. The country has changed rapidly in the last couple of years, people know we are deep in it and threats of strike action by public service workers etc are met with hostility from the public.

The concept of any ex-pat British passport holder getting free access on demand to the NHS is quite frankly ludicrious, how many are there throughout the world? 5 million? 10 million? On top of that if you added on their spouses and dependants the fugure would be extraordinary. The NHS would buckle under the strain of people showing up looking for expensive medical treatment in exchange for the price of a flight.

When you make an adult decision to move away from the UK live with it, and live with the consequences.

So all foreigners, asylum seekers, Thai wives etc entering the UK should not get free treatment at the tax payers expense cos they have never contributed a penny ?

I would call the number of expats seeking free NHS medical care as trivial, compared to the Somali refugees, et al that are offered it for free.

I also believe that the married partner of any citizen should automatically be offered citizenship of that country on humanitarian grounds.

Why should people with NO FAMILY CONNECTION to the country get anything at all. Time that western countries start looking after their own and stop trying to help the rest of the world.

Edited by ludditeman
  • Like 1

Asylum seekers, Thai wives etc etc entering the UK end up getting free treatment when never paying a penny into the system rolleyes.gif , YET you both say a guy who has been paying into the system ALL his working life should be refused treatment when he is a pensioner JUST because he has put his feet up in the sun.???? I am ashamed that you are both British.. angry.png

• Like 2

Asylum seekers, Thai wives etc etc entering the UK end up getting free treatment when never paying a penny into the system rolleyes.gif , YET you both say a guy who has been paying into the system ALL his working life should be refused treatment when he is a pensioner JUST because he has put his feet up in the sun.???? I am ashamed that you are both British.. angry.png

How many million of pairs of feet have been put up in the sun?...............where do you draw the line sir?

I must say ( but mods I am not complaining ) I am getting some stick on this thread. This issue of self responsibility seems to be bringing out the worst in people.

Now I have someone saying he is ashamed I am British, quite frankly, absurd. What he is really saying is that he is not happy with me pointing out that he has to live with his adult decision to be an ex-pat.

Maybe time to change the word from adult to infantile, thats the way this thread is going.

Edited by theblether

How many million of pairs of feet have been put up in the sun?...............where do you draw the line sir?

I draw the line between UK citizens and those with family links to UK citizens and those without.

My line is a lot shorter than the existing lines, and much fairer.

Refugees and EU persons can &%$# off home!

(I would also exclude those foreigners with property in the UK, Arabs, Americans, etc.)

Edited by ludditeman

I would call the number of expats seeking free NHS medical care as trivial, compared to the Somali refugees, et al that are offered it for free.

I also believe that the married partner of any citizen should automatically be offered citizenship of that country on humanitarian grounds.

Why should people with NO FAMILY CONNECTION to the country get anything at all. Time that western countries start looking after their own and stop trying to help the rest of the world.

Yes the Western world should look after its own by preventing sad sack sex-tourists showing up with bar girl girl wives that they met on a Monday, banged on a Tuesday, married on a Wednesday, flew home with on a Thursday, and she dumps him on a Friday.

Lucky for the UK that your not in charge of immigration policy.

I draw the line between UK citizens and those with family links to UK citizens and those without.

My line is a lot shorter than the existing lines, and much fairer.

Refugees and EU persons can &%$# off home!

(I would also exclude those foreigners with property in the UK, Arabs, Americans, etc.)

I am not without sympathy for your argument but take it one stage further........a guy that has worked till he is 65 in the UK, retires to Thailand. Marries a Thai lady and she falls sick, is it your contention that she should be put on a plane and flown to the NHS for free treatment?

I am not without sympathy for your argument but take it one stage further........a guy that has worked till he is 65 in the UK, retires to Thailand. Marries a Thai lady and she falls sick, is it your contention that she should be put on a plane and flown to the NHS for free treatment?

Yes the Western world should look after its own by preventing sad sack sex-tourists showing up with bar girl girl wives that they met on a Monday, banged on a Tuesday, married on a Wednesday, flew home with on a Thursday, and she dumps him on a Friday.

Lucky for the UK that your not in charge of immigration policy.

To satisfy both your comments

Only if she has a valid VISA, if it's a genuine marriage, why not? After all, their children are entitled.

(How do you decide if it's a genuine marriage, how about DNA tested children, no children then no VISA)

Easy to add a condition to the Thai ladies settlement, divorce within 10 years and citizenship will be revoked.

PS

I would also remove existing undesirables.

Those whose religion is at odds with the British way of life, those who settled as refugees but failed to contribute positively to the country, those who dispute the rule of British law, etc.

Edited by ludditeman

Only if she has a valid VISA, if it's a genuine marriage, why not? After all, their children are entitled.

(How do you decide if it's a genuine marriage, how about DNA tested children, no children then no VISA)

Easy to add a condition to the Thai ladies settlement, divorce within 10 years and citizenship will be revoked.

Even though she has never contributed to the NHS? Or possibly even visited the UK? ( lets stick to this example and not get sidetracked by all the Somali refugees bs ).

I must say ( but mods I am not complaining ) I am getting some stick on this thread. This issue of self responsibility seems to be bringing out the worst in people.

Now I have someone saying he is ashamed I am British, quite frankly, absurd. What he is really saying is that he is not happy with me pointing out that he has to live with his adult decision to be an ex-pat.

Maybe time to change the word from adult to infantile, thats the way this thread is going.

So what do you call all the foreigners entering the UK ? eeeeh, they are EXPATS from their own country but the UK takes care of them eeeeeeeeeeh, yes/no ?. Yet YOU condemn a bloke on retirement for laying in the sun, instead YOU think he should be sitting in a flat somewhere in the UK on the off chance he ''might'' need medical treatment or it's OK to go to a country on a LIST. Sheeeeeeeesh. .

Even though she has never contributed to the NHS? Or possibly even visited the UK? ( lets stick to this example and not get sidetracked by all the Somali refugees bs ).

I thought I had settled that point with my VISA due to creating DNA tested British citizens suggestion!