Boys In Blue, Pigs, Kamoys Police Grrrrr

karlos

DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) - Place you go to renew registration located on Prakanong/On nut (closest one) ...or the main office close by Morchit.

Cheers for that. i'll pop in next week, to give the officer some time to register his bull5hit claim, i should ask if anything has been reported in my name or with my bike's chassis number as opposed to showing the fine right?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That would be this one:

Bangkok Area 3:

opposite Soi Sukhumvit 62/1,

Bangjak Prakhanong,

Bangkok

tel: 02-332-9688 to

Phrakanong is the same road as Sukhumvit the office is not to far from the On nut intersection. Check out google maps.

I'd just wait till you get the plates to check it. If Kawasaki is sending an agent to get the plates for you, let them deal with it. If you go down On Nut towards Sukhumvit, hang a left at the three way. Its close to the Levis warehouse on your left if i recall correctly, haven't been back to the Bangkok in 3 years.

Good luck and next time dont stop ! ...or else = hit-the-fan.gif

Edited by KRS1

Those underpasses on Ratchada have signage of a bike and a slashed circle through them so I'm sure its illegal to ride through them.

I've seen many cops pulling bikes over for this offense on that road too.

A Thai lady told me she only paid 2000 baht for driving when drunk.

That's scary knowing drunks drive with little motivation to stop them from doing it often.

On the 30th the bastard cops pulled me over looking for New Years funding.

I was on Rama4, in the left lane which was clearly marked with straight arrows painted on it.

There was a turn left lane clearly marked with left turn arrows on it so I avoided that lane.

I refused to pay the bribe since I needed to go straight and was in the proper lane.

The pig wrote me a 400 baht ticket and kept my license.

So I had a Thai friend track down a list of driving fines (sorry don't know where she got it).

There's a 400 baht fine for "driving on the dotted line", this is most likely what the cop wrote me for although I wasn't doing that.

There's no beating the cops even when you're not doing anything wrong.

The laws are so vague and ridiculous here.

At least I know some of my ticket money might make it back to the government instead of some drunk cop on New Years.

Does anyone just give out fake foreign licenses to the cops?

Then there's no way they can track you down.

There are no fines over 400 baht.

He would have kept your license if the fine was legit.

standard fine is 1000 thb now for taking the illegal underpass at huai kwang/ suttisan

they have a sign up in the station with the fines and their respective prices but you can still haggle a bit

500 per person is the new official price for people without helmets also and that includes the passesnger also

a thai friend said recently that drunk driving is going to be added to the thai id cards so you may not get a future licence

but i dont know how seriously this will be enforced like everything else in thai

When you get caught drunk driving they put a "D" sticker on the back of th DL...guess 'D' stands for drunk ...555...Also have an 'A' sticker on the back for no seatbelt.

Sentenced for drunk driving, you will be 6 months without a DL when you want to renew. automaticly, in DLT computer

Karlos, if a fine has been issued and they got your framenumber or passportnumber or TH DL number, you will have to pay to avoid later problems

He didn't bother with the DL number, just the chassis number of the bike.

I'm going to take this matter up with my nextdoor neighbor when he returns home tomorrow (police officer) and i'll pop to Kawasaki tomorrow afternoon to let them take the matter up with the police too.

As much as i respect your knowledge Katabeachbum, I'm not paying a fine for having not violated any laws and he clearly was making up the law as he was talking to us, a new law for every obstical we threw at him, grrrr

They may or may not log the fine on your framenumber, denying registration until fine paid, routine for all fines issued unless witheld DL/Passport and paid within few days.

As the 1979 road act clearly state all vehicles on public roads must have plates, I am not sure how CM and BKK plateless one month bikes are handled. One thing is for sure, an issued fine is an issued fine. Alternative at point of offense would have been arrest and court. They do not go away. Hopefully kwakersaki has a fix to it

DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) - Place you go to renew registration located on Prakanong/On nut (closest one) ...or the main office close by Morchit.

Cheers for that. i'll pop in next week, to give the officer some time to register his bull5hit claim, i should ask if anything has been reported in my name or with my bike's chassis number as opposed to showing the fine right?

I would just wait and see. If kwaker cant register your bike, they have to sort it. as long as it isnt logged on your DL or passport, Immigration cant hold you back from leaving TH

and they call themsef DLT (Department of Land Transportation). dlt.go.th

Those underpasses on Ratchada have signage of a bike and a slashed circle through them so I'm sure its illegal to ride through them.

I've seen many cops pulling bikes over for this offense on that road too.

I've driven under those underpasses quite literally two to four times every day over the past 14 months. I have never been stopped once or had to go through a police check once. I have seen only one police check on them in that time.

That would be this one:

Bangkok Area 3:

opposite Soi Sukhumvit 62/1,

Bangjak Prakhanong,

Bangkok

tel: 02-332-9688 to

Phrakanong is the same road as Sukhumvit the office is not to far from the On nut intersection. Check out google maps.

Should be here:

Google Maps

Same office where i got my DL and paperwork done.

Edited by wantan

As the 1979 road act clearly state all vehicles on public roads must have plates, I am not sure how CM and BKK plateless one month bikes are handled. One thing is for sure, an issued fine is an issued fine. Alternative at point of offense would have been arrest and court. They do not go away. Hopefully kwakersaki has a fix to it

I am sure no expert and do not claim to be, but i guess Kata is right. Driving without plates is only tolerated (for the first weeks and only in your home area and there are more restrictions). That doesn't mean it is legal to drive without plates.

Thanks for all the help guys.

I spoke to my neighbor ( a police officer) this evening and he is going to sort it out when he goes to work tomorrow morning, funny thing is he told me Kawasaki were talking shit and that i shouldn't be riding around on plates..... He then asked me for 100Baht to sort the problem out LMAO, which is better than the 500 the original officer was asking for.

But still i had to pay 100Baht for either Kawasaki's fault of a greedy corrupt police force!

This thing about plates/lack of plates and how the filth treat you obviously differs between regions. I find Pattaya to be awful. Yet in Banchang, Rayong I waited about 3 months for my plate for my Vespa GTS as I wanted number 22. The filth here have no problems about plates or lanes they only stop people (occasionally) for not having a helmet.

Same here in CNX, so many rental bikes the cops don't know what to do. Two of my friends parked on the street illegally side by side, one had plates the other didn't. The one with plates got a ticket...lol

I spoke to my neighbor ( a police officer) this evening and he is going to sort it out when he goes to work tomorrow morning, funny thing is he told me Kawasaki were talking shit and that i shouldn't be riding around on plates..... He then asked me for 100Baht to sort the problem out LMAO, which is better than the 500 the original officer was asking for.

But still i had to pay 100Baht for either Kawasaki's fault of a greedy corrupt police force!

So does your BKK copper say the 1979 road act requiring plates on all vehicle still stands in BKK, and all the dealer-talk about no need for plate one month is what I thought it was, pure bulls-it?

Cant figure out why the dont use red plates like the rest of the country does

I spoke to my neighbor ( a police officer) this evening and he is going to sort it out when he goes to work tomorrow morning, funny thing is he told me Kawasaki were talking shit and that i shouldn't be riding around on plates..... He then asked me for 100Baht to sort the problem out LMAO,

No doubt you weren't the only one laughing. :D

So does your BKK copper say the 1979 road act requiring plates on all vehicle still stands in BKK, and all the dealer-talk about no need for plate one month is what I thought it was, pure bulls-it?

probably because the bkk police done a deal with the transport office claiming some bullshit or other. no red plate break the law. but you cant get a red plate. thats just bolloxks

Unfortunately my neighbor (the police officer) said nothing other than he would sort the fine out for me, he didn't really know where the law stood with big bikes or any bike without red plates during the first month of ownership..

I also went into Kawasaki today and asked about the whereabouts of my plates, i have had the bike for more than 2 weeks now, they said maybe another 2 weeks.......

I quickly asked for temporary plates (red plates) but their dealership doesn't have such things, i was told that if i get stopped again just pay 100baht to keep the officer happy!

This is ridiculous!

This is ridiculous!

No, this all makes sense, is easy to handle and keeps the system running, welcome to Thailand welcomeani.gif

You should give back your bike because Kawasaki has given you wrong information and you lost some money because of this wink.png

Edited by wantan

How many times have we beaten this dead horse? deadhorse.gif

There are no red plates for bikes in Bangkok. The red plate system is too cumbersome for a city the size of Bangkok and easily abused- For example, it's not uncommon for guys to ride around for years on red plates in other provinces.

As I'm sure you know, local police districts are free to make their own laws and selective enforcement of existing laws is commonplace in Thailand.

BTW, I just heard that prostitution is illegal in Thailand! giggle.gif

There are no red plates for bikes in Bangkok. The red plate system is too cumbersome for a city the size of Bangkok and easily abused- For example, it's not uncommon for guys to ride around for years on red plates in other provinces.

As I'm sure you know, local police districts are free to make their own laws and selective enforcement of existing laws is commonplace in Thailand.

as OP was fined for riding a BKK purchased bike in BKK, it would be interesting to see how BKK dealers support the thought of not following the 1979 road act on plates

as seen some BKK police obviously does not ignore this law

bike redplates are much simpler than cars redplates, as they are not issued by DLT in the same way, bike dealer just uses an internal logbook to log which bike carries which plate number, some dealers even use one time stickers as redplates. So complicated it is not. but it allows to identify a vehicle from distance, as it carries a plate

as BKK is the major supplier of new cars, and manages to red plate them for all buyers wanting it, my question still remains out of curiosity, not out of the need to beat a dead horsecoffee1.gif

If you are not interested in this topic than just don't read and post here. This doesn't bring us any further in the question "Is there an official rule for new bikes in BKK and if, how should police handle it".

I would like to know the administrative directives to this problem (if there are any), so i hope people will go on beating this "dead horse".

People here are trying to collect useful information and you just throw in your typical tirade about dispotism. Please do not confuse "law", "administrative directive" and "execution of work by the individual policeman".

Edited by wantan

The lesson learned however, is to simply ride through the police check whether they shout at you or not.

Bad advice for the multitude of us foreigners who live in medium-to-small-sized towns where the few foreigners are easily known/identified. When I stop (always) and flip up my dark visor, 90% of the time they wave me on. dry.png

The lesson learned however, is to simply ride through the police check whether they shout at you or not.

Bad advice for the multitude of us foreigners who live in medium-to-small-sized towns where the few foreigners are easily known/identified. When I stop (always) and flip up my dark visor, 90% of the time they wave me on. dry.png

Yep, same with me. Normally they smile and let me go when all thai natives have to show their papers. I do not understand such "better-behave-like-an-outlaw" advises. Very dangerous and for farangs sure not the best way to get friends at the police.

standard fine is 1000 thb now for taking the illegal underpass at huai kwang/ suttisan

Eh?

I've driven on those underpasses at least twice a day for over the past year and have never once been stopped or fined.

I have on one occasion seen the police blocking one end on something like a Sunday morning. I've probably gone through them 1000 times over the past 14 months and my wallet is 0 baht lighter for it.

I went under them yesterday while searching for Paddock and wasn't even aware bikes couldn't use them, there were about 10 bikes in front of me using the underpass, countless bikes the over side too..... Maybe the rules have changed recently?

I mostly use the underpasses. However I know the police do target these from time to time. The trick is to see if Thai bikers go down the underpass/overpass, especially the bike taxis. If they go, follow them.

Then there is the end/beginning of the month money collecting time (or the beginning of the year when the police are skint after NY). Just try and remember what day it is when you are biking around; be more vigilant around the end/beginning of the month.

I think it helps not riding an expensive big bike; basically you are just more of a target. I do understand people who would rather have the big bike and take the risk.

Drink driving is a nono now. We shouldn't do this anyway, but the fines/payoff is huge now (we are talking 7000 baht plus in Bangkok). Leave your bike at home when drinking, or if you are biking at night, avoid obvious places like Sukhumvit 3/4, etc. Just not worth all the hassle. Anyway those taxis need your business!

Yep, same with me. Normally they smile and let me go when all thai natives have to show their papers. I do not understand such "better-behave-like-an-outlaw" advises. Very dangerous and for farangs sure not the best way to get friends at the police.

Why would anyone want to be friends with a corrupt Thai traffic cop? Personally I recommend cultivating your police friendships a bit higher up the food chain ;)

If you are not interested in this topic than just don't read and post here. This doesn't bring us any further in the question "Is there an official rule for new bikes in BKK and if, how should police handle it".

I would like to know the administrative directives to this problem (if there are any), so i hope people will go on beating this "dead horse".

People here are trying to collect useful information and you just throw in your typical tirade about dispotism. Please do not confuse "law", "administrative directive" and "execution of work by the individual policeman".

Thanks for the lecture and for adding nothing to the topic at hand. violin.gif

Fact remains that there are no red plates for bikes in Bangkok.

If the Brown Mafia tries to tell you otherwise they are lying and hoping for a handout.

All you have to do on a new bike is show bill of sale and you are free and clear for 30 days.

Don't take my word for it. Ask ANY bike dealer in Bangkok or the Bangkok DLT and they will confirm that there are no red plates for bikes in Bangkok. The Bangkok DLT does not issue them. Period.

Happy Trails!

T

ps. <deleted> is "dispotism"? ;)

Edited by BigBikeBKK

Just wear proper gear: full face helmet & sunglasses, jacket & gloves and you'll evade their Farang Radar. I never get pulled over, once they realize I'm farang, I'm helmet down-ish w/ sunglasses, and pin the throttle soon as I'm close to em. Learned this trick in Kuala Lumpur. Now THOSE police are some real thugs.

Fact remains that there are no red plates for bikes in Bangkok.

If the Brown Mafia tries to tell you otherwise they are lying and hoping for a handout.

All you have to do on a new bike is show bill of sale and you are free and clear for 30 days.

Noone is "free and clear for 30 days". Driving without plates is illegal. But police tolerates this as long as people like you don't call them "Brown Mafia" or "Cockroaches".

As far as i know it is tolerated for new bikes if:

- you don't leave your home area (i forgot what exactly is meant; home town or district where the bike is registered?)

- you drive at daylight (no driving in the dark)

- you have all papers with you (invoice, insurance, copy green book, ...)

- you do show some respect (same as everywhere in LOS)

- may i forgot something?

Oh, i forgot: PERIOD! (This makes every statement much more impressive. I will now do this always wink.png )