Who'S Got Crabs

KRS1

Is it me or are the crabs in CNX really not fresh and in some cases preserved with formaline or something ? Had a really dry tastless one like it was previously frozen and another time had some that tasted like it was soaked in chemicals.

Anywhere to get live, crawling, trying to pinch your finger off, please dont eat me type of crabs that try to clip your finger off when you try and select them kind of crabs?

I've seen live small crabs at Kad Luang. I believe they're called mud crabs or something similiar and normally inhabit the rice fields. These may be "farm raised", though. They're in the same area where they have the live eels, frogs, etc.

There is a fish wholesaler/retailer that brings in fresh seafood daily in a building across the street from the side driving entrance of Tesco Lotus at Kamtieng Market on the Superhighway--one can enter the flower market by vehicle this way rather than entering on the superhighway. It is a large open building and they have their best selection in the morning. I have purchased fresh crab, shrimp, and other salt water fish there, and have been satisfied.

I've seen live small crabs at Kad Luang. I believe they're called mud crabs or something similiar and normally inhabit the rice fields. These may be "farm raised", though. They're in the same area where they have the live eels, frogs, etc.

^ LOL.. not same. Those buggers are used in Som Tam and smelly crab chilly dips and not much else. Assume the OP is about meatier sea crabs.

Most likely this one: http://www.google.co...&tbm=isch&tbo=u (Poo Nua)

There's also the cheaper Poo Maa (Horse Crab) that's mostly not sold alive: http://www.google.co...&tbm=isch&tbo=u

What Nancy referred to are field crabs; black little critters used in up-country dishes (curries, dips and som tam) for flavoring: http://www.google.co...&tbm=isch&tbo=u

I feel like a Wiki sometimes. smile.png

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

There is a fish wholesaler/retailer that brings in fresh seafood daily in a building across the street from the side driving entrance of Tesco Lotus at Kamtieng Market on the Superhighway--one can enter the flower market by vehicle this way rather than entering on the superhighway. It is a large open building and they have their best selection in the morning. I have purchased fresh crab, shrimp, and other salt water fish there, and have been satisfied.

Went in there one time and their prices were anything but wholesale. They were not friendly either. Would never go there again.

Do a search for the government wholesale seafood market. I think the main one is on Canal Road but now they have kiosks set up at various places on the outskirts of town. I also saw live crab at Muang Mai Market the other day.

They also have these:

post-49205-0-43160100-1325655758_thumb.j

Sorry for the picture quality (or lack of it) sad.png

Edited by Semper

Mud crabs are called that because....they live in mud holes.... in mangrove swampy areas along the shoreline. They are DELICIOUS. They are often sold alive in the markets, brownish red color, stocky bodies, big claws.

see photo above

Edited by daoyai