Valentines Dinner Jomtien Or Pattaya

stailmanki

I am coming home on R&R later this month but have to go back to work before Valentines Day.I seem to miss this one every year but this time I want to treat my girl to something special ; a private pre-Valentines with a romantic dinner to start.

As we live in Jomtien I would like to go to one of the flash places here but if we have to go to Pattaya then I suppose we could , I'd get a taxi rather than drive or bus so maybe Pratummnak also.

I have walked through the Jomtien complex enough times and there are some more upmarket places there , I don't mind the white singlets but is the French food any good ? tried East Tapas & thought they were mediocre , trying too hard IMHO.

I have narrowed my list of local places down to : Manhattans, Brunos,Gians,. Anybody tried Amor ? Mata Hari ? I don't mind spending money on this , also my TG is adventurous when it comes to food ,,,,,,,,,,, with the exception of Indian , I made the mistake of taking her to Indian By Nature & the only thing she would eat was the nan bread and the tamarind chutney !

Any suggestions most welcome.

Go the other direction - south, go to Ban Amphur, Preecha Seafood may not have the decor of some of the places you have mentioned - but it ranks far higher on the "face" list among Thais!! ;);) (10 - 15 mins from Jomtien) and treat her to the best seafood you can get!!

Try the Glasshouse in NaJomtien not far from Pinnacle Resort (off Sukhumvit opposite Alangkarn).

It is awesome around sunset, relaxed chilled atmosphere on the beach, candle light.......

Nice food, mixture of Thai and European, Seafood also...awesome desserts too.:)

Cafe des Amis would get my vote, but it is all French/Continental. I think that the room with its soft colors and very soft lighting is romantic and the food has been great. It is formal but laid back. No, not formal... just very "nice." Get the table all the way to the back on the right hand side near the kitchen. (The most private.) Disclaimer: I haven't been there in over a year.

Hummm... Candle light on the beach seems nice, too. Might be chilly with a need to cuddle :)

If things don't work out with your GF, you are welcome to take me to Gian's.

Hey, what about the Sheraton?

Royal Cliff is not romantic, IMHO

I always take my wife to Cabbages and Condoms. I also live in Jomtien and it isn't too far away. Excellent atmosphere - almost like a giant tree house. Good food and next to the water. They have a great garden you walk through to get to the restaurant and my wife ALWAYS has to play with the rabbits they have running loose on the grass.

Go the other direction - south, go to Ban Amphur, Preecha Seafood may not have the decor of some of the places you have mentioned - but it ranks far higher on the "face" list among Thais!! wink.png;) (10 - 15 mins from Jomtien) and treat her to the best seafood you can get!!

Like LennyW, I also used to be a huge fan of Preecha. I was first taken there a few years ago by a Thai friend and it had become my "go to" place for a nice seafood dinner, particularly with guests from out of town. No frills but great seafood and with a 95% Thai clientele. We ended up there again a few days ago after first attempting to try The Glasshouse but finding that all the decent tables had been reserved. Well, talk about disappointing... The food we were served at Preecha that evening was one of the worst Thai meals I have had in a long long time. Everything we ordered was incredibly bland and it seems they've really cut down on the portion sizes. The crab in yellow curry dish in particular was laughably small.

On the plus side. the service was very good as it always has been, particularly for a place as busy as this, but not good enough to put up with the poor food.

Sorry Preecha Seafood - you were once a trusted friend, but based on last week's experience our friendship has sadly run its course...

P.S. LennyW, if you visit there again anytime soon I would appreciate your feedback - it's possible that we just hit the place on a bad night and maybe it was a one off, but unless I hear a fellow fan say it's still as good as it used to be i won't be chancing a trip there again. Such a shame...

Amor is long closed (I wasn't a fan).

I can tell you the gossip from the wealthier gay expat crowd, talking food here -- Mata Hari is probably the most favored. Manhattans and Brunos less favored. A similar crowd when they want to thrift it a bit likes Alois (fancy enough for your purposes).

http://www.aloispattaya.com/index.html

I used to love the food at the old Au Bon Pain. I reckon the new location is nicer:

http://www.auboncoin...ya.com/chef.htm

The French place in Jomtien complex called L'arc has a good rep for fine food. I ate there in their early days so I don't really have a formed opinion. My impression is that they get a lot of French people for what that's worth. Probably not romantic enough though.

I wouldn't suggest the fancier places in the Jomtien complex soi with the blind massage for such a special occasion dinner. Some might be fancy enough inside but I think you can do better, food-wise other places.

Edited by Jingthing

Definatley Cafe Des Amis gets our vote, we were there in Pattaya in November for nearly a month as we have been doing so for the last ten years and always like to go to in the OP words flash places to eat, in our opinion the Cafe Des Amis has got to be the best restaurant in Pattaya, the food the decor and the ambience is second to none, we couldent keep away from the place, and they will send there car ( at a cost ) to pick you up and take you home, coming in March aswell this year and cant wait to eat there again.

H & H

I always take my wife to Cabbages and Condoms. I also live in Jomtien and it isn't too far away. Excellent atmosphere - almost like a giant tree house. Good food and next to the water. They have a great garden you walk through to get to the restaurant and my wife ALWAYS has to play with the rabbits they have running loose on the grass.

I agree, C & C have very good atmosphere, with the garden and restaurant overlooking the beach/ocean.

However last time I was there, the food was very disappointing, the beer was warm, and the service no good! mad.gif

Glasshouse No. Cafe De Amis a definite yes. Or as a second choice Au Bon Coin.

Shame I'm not in Thailand (lol)

At the moment on Tripadvisor Au Bon Coin is rated No 1 and Nathans No 2.

In my view ABC is the best.

No contest then! Au Bon Coin, and don't think about one more little bit ...

Glasshouse No. Cafe De Amis a definite yes. Or as a second choice Au Bon Coin.

Shame I'm not in Thailand (lol)

At the moment on Tripadvisor Au Bon Coin is rated No 1 and Nathans No 2.

In my view ABC is the best.

Nathan's... #2, huh?

burp.gif,

Well, that's what it says, but check it yourself.

What follows is allegedly, advisably, hearsay, unreliable, from unreputable sources, and obviously absolute heresy.

A foody told me there is a technique, which involves studying the menu ad nauseum, until the prima donna does a walk around.

Then you ask him what is good on the menu tonight. He will normally mention 2 or 3 dishes. If you order one of these, it is possible that you will receive some of the greatest food, that you have ever eaten.

My attitude is that my money is the same value as the next guy, and there is no way, a restaurateur like this, will get my money.

Perhaps I am being harsh, and brilliance should be acknowledged.