What'S The Best Way To Improve Ride/Handling Of A Bike?

ClareQuilty

I've a Yamaha Fresh that's running well but is extremely bouncy in its ride, particularly in the back. I've noticed that another Yamaha I had - a Spark - was quite bouncy too. Is this just the way these bikes are, or could it be improved with different shocks or springs? My Kawasaki Cheer seems to be so much better handling, despite being in worse condition.

Any advice would be appreciated, about this specific bike or spring/shock setups on small bikes in general.

It's most certainly time for a new shock for the back and/or a rebuild up front.

It sounds expensive but in Thailand a full overhaul including the price of a new rear shock shouldn't cost too much smile.png

Anyone know how much that might cost? My mechanic said he could take care of the rear suspension (which has two springs, not one), for 450. I've had front end suspensions on Honda Tenas rebuilt for 100-120 per side.

It's most certainly time for a new shock for the back and/or a rebuild up front.

It sounds expensive but in Thailand a full overhaul including the price of a new rear shock shouldn't cost too much smile.png

Anyone know how much that might cost? My mechanic said he could take care of the rear suspension (which has two springs, not one), for 450. I've had front end suspensions on Honda Tenas rebuilt for 100-120 per side.

I am certain the 400Baht he quoted you was for a rebuild, new oil and seals.

You'd be looking closer to 1500 - 2000 baht for a new pair of shocks (with springs and some adustability)

Front forks should be rebuildable for 300-600Baht, which should include new oil, oil seals & dust selas, if the stancions are worn or scored, then maybe a little more for machining or new ones will have to be factored in..

So a rebuild for the front and rear should cost no more than 1000baht (inc parts) :)

So a rebuild for the front and rear should cost no more than 1000baht (inc parts) smile.png

Having followed CQ's 2T posts for some years that is probably what he paid for the whole bikethumbsup.gif

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

So a rebuild for the front and rear should cost no more than 1000baht (inc parts) smile.png

Having followed CQ's 2T posts for some years that is probably what he paid for the whole bikethumbsup.gif

Actually, VocalNeal, you're not too far wrong, but typically I find its necessary to pay a bit more than that for a rehabilitate-able bike. Its awfully easy to put together a nice little runabout like the above mentioned Fresh (or a Smile, or a Cheer) for 5-7 thousand, or a sporty old two stroke like a Tiara for a few thousand more, so I don't really see the point of spending more... though the real reason I buy old things isn't practicality - its that I'm crippled by nostalgia.

Front forks are generally rebuilt as new forks are quite expensive; to stiffen them up, add more fork oil (thats fork not forking) However rear shocks are not easy to rebuild so people replace them. Cheap ones are not gas and do the job. More expensive ones are gas, better damping, plus some of them are adjustable. For a Fresh (what a corny name) I should go with the cheap ones. Cant think a 2nd hand Fresh would go for more than 6000 baht at auction, so save yourself some money and go for the cheap ones.

Some of the cheapy shocks have a adjuster on them. Basically you can compress the spring with a spanner to give a less bouncy ride. If its got a 'cog' below the spring, then you can adjust them to be stiffer, which is cheaper than buying new shocks.

With a name like Clare, I am sure you will get loads of advice giggle.gif

coffee1.gif ...its a scooter, so buy new shocks with, at most, pre-load adjustment for setting spring tension based on loading and riding style. If you expect it to 'handle', sell it instead and just buy a motorcycle with a proper frame thats not a step-thru since these are dog-leg shaped and flexible in the middle, at the bend.

If the shop 'rebuilds' your forks, you got ripped off - scooter forks are dead simple; replace the oil if there is any, seals if they leak, and the springs if theyre knackered - 15k km is my guess for scooter springs - as in feels like a rocking chair riding down the road. Scooters have their place, love em. But ya can't make a pig fly.

I'm happy to report that I sprang for the 450 baht rear suspension repair my mechanic suggested, and it turned out it was not a rebuilding of the shocks, but in fact an entirely new set of shocks/springs. Pretty good value I'd say for 450 baht, and now the bike rides and handles perfectly. Of course I'm aware that 'perfectly' for a Yamaha Fresh is still not 'good handling', but I'd say that now it is a lot more comfortable and a lot safer (at reasonable speeds, up to about 60-70) than when it was bouncing all over the place.

Thanks everybody for your advice and comments.

An easy qiuck cheap fix is find an old fan belt, put the bike on center stand, cut the belt and wind into the lower coils of the spring, tape or hose clip it into place and job done, but 450bht is cheap,and all is ok now, Good..

Its easy to knock these type of bikes, but for pure hardiness, reliability and cheapness, they can't be beaten. 450 baht is cheap!

You got me inspired to change the fork springs on the girlfriends Smash. Front is mega stiff, so figure the springs are old and tired. We have quite a few speed bumps in our soi and I am fed up with hitting them rather than going over them!

An easy qiuck cheap fix is find an old fan belt, put the bike on center stand, cut the belt and wind into the lower coils of the spring, tape or hose clip it into place and job done, but 450bht is cheap,and all is ok now, Good..

Wow! Now that is a helpful suggestion. A day late, but next time I'll try that.