The Cheapest Charlie

bermondburi

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was coming back from the Grand Prix in KL last year.

The farang couple in front of me had Ferrari branded everything, jackets, polo shirts, hats and even luggage.

As we were walking down the aisle, the wifey was stealing as many airplane cushions as she could into her bag. She must have openly stolen 10 pillows and didn't care who saw.

I found that odd.

Maybe a market on ebay for that sort of thing? A guy in France was arrested for selling 1st class paraphernalia on ebay

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-frequence-plus/1291315-thief-air-france-first-class-arrested.html

I know an expat who earns over £100K in Thailand who turned up late to an after work meal (where he had been invited by colleges), scraped the left overs onto a plate and made a meal of that, washed down with the cheapest beer on the menu.

When the bill came he placed the price of his beer on the table proclaiming that the food he had eaten was only what everyone else had not wanted.

He's from Yorkshire, Leeds to be precise.

And as we all know the reason they put flat sides on a twenty pence piece is so you use a spanner to get it out of a Yorkshireman's fist.

He's from Leeds in Yorkshire, well so am I and must admit some Yorkshire men are tight fisted penny pinchers, but as some will say "watch the pennies and the pounds will grow".

In October last year I drove from Pattaya with my GF in her car which is a Toyota Fortuner and uses plenty of fuel to meet a friend who'd been working in Thailand, I met him on Khoa San Rd early evening and we had a couple of drinks which I paid for, we then decided to get out of Bangkok due to the floods, we drove back to Pattaya after he'd checked out of his 400 baht per night room.

We stopped at the services on the way, I once again paid for what we ate and drank, he let me.

When in Pattaya I allowed him to stay in the second bedroom where I was staying, after he'd showered and changed we went for a drink in Soi Diane/Lk Metro area where we visited various bars/go go bars, I once again paid more than my fair share and again he let me.

The next day he was due to fly back to the UK in the evening but my GF was in Rayong visiting her mother so use of the car to take him to the airport was a no so he had to get a taxi.

Opposite where we were staying was a taxi booking point where he enquired how much to airport and was quoted 1000 baht, he came back to me and told me he had seen another taxi booking point the evening before and the price was 100 baht cheaper. So off we went together and 45 minutes later found a taxi for 900 baht and booked it. Wow he was happy, he'd saved a whole 2 UK pounds, me I was fuming about wasted time over 2 pounds and the distance we had walked.

Not once while he was in my company did he offer to give my GF or myself any money towards petrol costs and to end this tale, I'll tell you my friend is a self made multi millionaire and IMO one cheap Charlie. By the way he acts the same in the UK.

If no one asks him to stump up his share how does he know?

My wife used to work part time in a pretty low end apartment block that was popular with Thai boxing backpackers. 4-5 Americans had booked into a 2000 a month room. One of them came into the shop in the block demanding toilet paper. She didn't have the 4 baht they charged so my wife paid. She came back a few times demanding more. My wife never saw that 4 baht

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Some are cheap, some are just plain poor. Is this another broke farang bashing thread?

no, it's about people who could afford it, but have bizarre ideas and the will for not doing so. Sat once near a young guy in a tourist restaurant on Samui who ordered only a plate of plain rice for 10 Baht and a glass of free water. He ate the rice with ketchup. This guy is not a cheap charlie at all. He just didn't have money.

Also people, who consciously complain are not qualified. Someone, who refuses to pay, because the food was....cold, bad, not ordered, not vegetarian etc after it was eaten by the complainer or someone who eats only half and therefore demands to pay only half.....that kind is a league above the cheap charlie status.

Edited by Birdman

Poor people on a budget don't bother me.

Cheap people really annoy me.

Neither bother me.

But I think there is a huge difference between being cheap and simply taking advantage of others. Many of the stories in this thread are about the latter, not the former.

Anyone unlucky enough to be stuck having a drink with me would be doing it on Beach Rd with beer from 7/11, surely, but they would never be even one satang out of pocket at the end of the evening as I always pay my way, and usually more than my way.

Anyone who doesn't pay his way is just taking advantage, and that's wrong.

Sorry to stray off topic, I clicked like on rakers post above , now what? Is there a running tally somewhere or whats the point. Does he get an sms or something say his post was liked?

As for tight wads, too many to mention with one brush. Guys that take the 25 satang change from anywhere rank up there in my books.

What is this satang?

I'm on 800 Baht for breakfast and counting....

If travelling with the missus and a mate always go thirds on costs, renting a property for a day or a month it goes in 3rds.

Biggest pet hates of cheap charlies:

• These idiots that go to a resturant and take a whole table to acces to free wifi sit there with a bottle of water.Then when it gets busy and tables are scarce still sit there yelling on skype oblivious to the fact the restuarant needs the table and staff to scared to tell them to leave.
  • The people that try and barter over water costs at 7-11 or family mart
  • The guy that openly sits in a round then proclaims hes broke when its his turn, while teling you about his latest and future trips away

Cheapest I have seen however is a friend stuffing socks and pants (folded flat) in his trouser pockets to get them washed free in hotel laundry.

My wife used to work part time in a pretty low end apartment block that was popular with Thai boxing backpackers. 4-5 Americans had booked into a 2000 a month room. One of them came into the shop in the block demanding toilet paper. She didn't have the 4 baht they charged so my wife paid. She came back a few times demanding more. My wife never saw that 4 baht

Maybe they thought that they were just borrowing to return after use. rolleyes.gif

If travelling with the missus and a mate always go thirds on costs, renting a property for a day or a month it goes in 3rds.

Biggest pet hates of cheap charlies:

• These idiots that go to a resturant and take a whole table to acces to free wifi sit there with a bottle of water.Then when it gets busy and tables are scarce still sit there yelling on skype oblivious to the fact the restuarant needs the table and staff to scared to tell them to leave.
  • The people that try and barter over water costs at 7-11 or family mart
  • The guy that openly sits in a round then proclaims hes broke when its his turn, while teling you about his latest and future trips away

Cheapest I have seen however is a friend stuffing socks and pants (folded flat) in his trouser pockets to get them washed free in hotel laundry.

Thanks for the tip. The sky-high hotel laundry charges really piss me off. Try never to use them.

Does that make me a cheap-charlie???

I know an expat who earns over £100K in Thailand who turned up late to an after work meal (where he had been invited by colleges), scraped the left overs onto a plate and made a meal of that, washed down with the cheapest beer on the menu.

When the bill came he placed the price of his beer on the table proclaiming that the food he had eaten was only what everyone else had not wanted.

He's from Yorkshire, Leeds to be precise.

And as we all know the reason they put flat sides on a twenty pence piece is so you use a spanner to get it out of a Yorkshireman's fist.

He's from Leeds in Yorkshire, well so am I and must admit some Yorkshire men are tight fisted penny pinchers, but as some will say "watch the pennies and the pounds will grow".

In October last year I drove from Pattaya with my GF in her car which is a Toyota Fortuner and uses plenty of fuel to meet a friend who'd been working in Thailand, I met him on Khoa San Rd early evening and we had a couple of drinks which I paid for, we then decided to get out of Bangkok due to the floods, we drove back to Pattaya after he'd checked out of his 400 baht per night room.

We stopped at the services on the way, I once again paid for what we ate and drank, he let me.

When in Pattaya I allowed him to stay in the second bedroom where I was staying, after he'd showered and changed we went for a drink in Soi Diane/Lk Metro area where we visited various bars/go go bars, I once again paid more than my fair share and again he let me.

The next day he was due to fly back to the UK in the evening but my GF was in Rayong visiting her mother so use of the car to take him to the airport was a no so he had to get a taxi.

Opposite where we were staying was a taxi booking point where he enquired how much to airport and was quoted 1000 baht, he came back to me and told me he had seen another taxi booking point the evening before and the price was 100 baht cheaper. So off we went together and 45 minutes later found a taxi for 900 baht and booked it. Wow he was happy, he'd saved a whole 2 UK pounds, me I was fuming about wasted time over 2 pounds and the distance we had walked.

Not once while he was in my company did he offer to give my GF or myself any money towards petrol costs and to end this tale, I'll tell you my friend is a self made multi millionaire and IMO one cheap Charlie. By the way he acts the same in the UK.

so you vent here instead of saying anything to him directly? you are asking to be taken.

Anyone unlucky enough to be stuck having a drink with me would be doing it on Beach Rd with beer from 7/11

I'd be happy to join you, but I would recommend buying the beer at some "mom&pop" shop as they tend to be cheaper, plus you can get the ice for free. smile.png

If the Thai cannot afford it, then it should be up to the partner to pay. Not a third party.

Jimbeam need to put himself in his friends shoes. His friend is paying while a 3rd person is evidently not. Apparently the GF paid nothing yet is complaining that somebody else that did pay did not pay 'enough', I know what I'd have to say to that and it rhymes with cough.

If people want to make deals where the partner is excluded from paying, they should negotiate everything first. If they don't and the other person wants to split the bill equally (and fairly) they only have themselves to blame. If a deal is struck then fine, it is the EXPECTATION that is just plain wrong and made so much worse by having the nerve to complain. Especially by somebody that didn't contribute, what a fuc_king cheek.

Not only that, but he mentioned that the girlfriend complained about it as well; isn't that nice; she gets a free ride and complains saying that some guy who is a friend of her bf's, should be her benefactor.

Nice girls this guy keeps up with! Not surprising why Thai girls have the reputation they do

Edited by Kilgore Trout

First time i arrived in Thailand travelling in my 20s.

I was on a budget of about 600 baht a day (b4 people say why come with just 600 baht per day, well it was a 3 week holiday after a long stint in indian and 600 is doable if you travel on a shoe string is , but obviously when i went away from the backpackers places i got the credit card out lol

Anyway i used to buy a small bottle of sangsom for about 50 baht and put it in my bag then sit on the beach resturant type place and order coke, Then sneak my whiskey in. Cheap night out

Well maybe thats not a cheap charlie but making the most of what you have.

You find cheapos every where. I donot like the person who knows what time the party is to start but they are just getting into the shower. Are when the bill comes sorry I donot have change, dude they make change. The guy who always fumbles when it is time to pay the taxi. I donot go out with these people after the first and last time.

So you dont like paying yourself then?

First time i arrived in Thailand travelling in my 20s.

I was on a budget of about 600 baht a day (b4 people say why come with just 600 baht per day, well it was a 3 week holiday after a long stint in indian and 600 is doable if you travel on a shoe string is , but obviously when i went away from the backpackers places i got the credit card out lol

Anyway i used to buy a small bottle of sangsom for about 50 baht and put it in my bag then sit on the beach resturant type place and order coke, Then sneak my whiskey in. Cheap night out

Well maybe thats not a cheap charlie but making the most of what you have.

No need to 'sneak it in'

Many restaurants/bars in Thailand don't mind you bringing your own whiskey as long as you order mixers and ice.

totster biggrin.png

Edited by Totster

Some are cheap, some are just plain poor. Is this another broke farang bashing thread?

Personally, I'm the tightest farang I know in Pattaya.

Make that " another tight Yorkshireman bashing thread ".

I,m from Yorkshire and I,m not tight, it's just that money spent on toilet paper is better spent elsewhere.

The reason I asked is because a guy I work with has got to be well up there. I know that he bought 4 pairs of second hand shoes from the market at aranya pratet,

he would WALK from Petkasem somewhere to Patpong , drink 2 litres of coke from 7-11 and then sit in a bar all night on one coke.

He will walk an extra five minutes to save 1 baht on the price of something.

He uses the same teabag all day.

Many other things too. All I can say is that he comes from a certain Eastern European country. See if you can guess which one.

You mate went 3rd's on the total bill, whats the issue ?

Must admit, I'm struggling to see what's so wrong about it also.

I was once invited out by a friend, he had his GF with him. I bought a round, he bought a round and when it came to her round....... They tried to claim that as a couple they only had to pay once, which of course left me paying double.

If the OP is expecting his friend to chip in when the GF doesn't, I don't think the OP's friend is the one that is being cheap.

if its a two bedroom apartment, then thats it 2 rooms, bill split in half, as to rounds of drinks or food, when there are three then thats different, the couple should buy two rounds. but bedrooms should be paid equal, he had one bedroom, so did the couple, rooms are charged each room, not each occupant

You miss the point.

His friend his paying out. The GF is (presumably) paying nothing.

The GF pays nothing and is along for a free ride yet the friend is the one accused of being tight? The GF effectively gets a free holiday, or collectively both get a discounted holiday, yet still they have the nerve to moan that their friend is the tight one?

They had the option of taking the bungalow as two separate units, they didn't. Instead they chose to rent it as one and split the cost. Splitting the cost means just that

In this particular care YOU are missing the point and their buddy is being a cheap charly.

Yes they had an option to rent it as 2 separate units OR one unit. This is the difference. He didn't mention (except that his GF madde a deal with the owner), but I am sure the cost of a complete bungalow was less than the cost of 2 separate units so by renting it as a whole, each of the parties was getting a discount.

If they rented separate, their bud would have paid more (full price), and they (couple) would have paid full price.

Because they DID rent it as a whole, their bud was supposed to pay discounted price for his half-unit (he DID occupy a half of the unit, didn't he?), and they were supposed to pay discounted price for their half-unit (they both occupied other HALF of the unit, didn't they?).

At the end, their tight-ass-budd ended up paying 1/3 of the total price and they ended up paying 2/3 which is probably more than the cost of half-a-unit before the discount. If you fail to see it, try to play with numbers and see yourself.

4500 baht if separate units no discount (just for example)

each party pays 4500 baht

now, a whole discounted unit is 8000 baht

each party pays 4000 baht

instead their bud pays 1/3 or 2666 baht (I took the minibar cost out), and they paid 2/3 or 5333 baht

So tell me again they are wrong about complaining. Their intentions of a discounted unit (thx to his GF by the way) for sure didn't unclude giving his buddy a break at THEIR expence!

They didn't talk it out before agreeing on the rent - that's their fault, but it should have been obvious.

And another thing is driving. His GF just tags along, why whould she be expected to take 1/3 of the cost? Being poor or not has nothing to do with taking part of the cost, a GF is to be considered a family so those of you saying she has a free vacation, tell this to your wifes and see how that goes.

I often go on quadding/dirtbiking trips with my buddies while in canada. No reason for everyone to take their pickups so normally we group up and come as a group putting all the bikes on a trailer which is being pulled by one pickup. We all equally share the cost. In cases if one of the guys wife/GF wants to tag along, there is no extra cost for her unless she is taking her own bike with her, which adds to the fuel mileage.

And for the last, as other poster says, when it comes to food and or drinks (movie tickets, etc...) when there is one shared tab, it should be split equally among the party members and if there is a BF and A GF in a group, then they each should pay (or a guy should pay for his GF).

• Like 1

If somebody texts your mobile asking you to call them is that mean or just being thrifty?

Yes this did happen to somebody I know ....and no I was not the sender !

Edited by metisdead
Font reset, use default forum font when posting.

If somebody texts your mobile asking you to call them is that mean or just being thrifty?

Why spend money on a SMS. I just call and wait for 1 signal, then close and wait for a return call.

• Like 1

Anyone can be a bit tight-fisted as a one-off, if he/she's having a bad month, say. But there are routine nutters on this basis around.

I know a certain hotel where a number of very penny-pinching old guys hang out in the lobby almost all the time. They don't stay in the hotel (although they might once have done so), they don't eat there and they don't buy so much as a drink. However, they use the lobby as their 'club' all day long. Needless to say, they are also somewhat bizarre and anti-social in other ways, and they intrude on attempts by 'normal' guests to use the lobby as- well, a lobby- to the point of harassment and even threats. The management there occasionally 'eject' them, but- partly because they are such a sad lot- they are always eventually allowed back (until they each expire, at which a new member 'magically' appears).

If you have no credit in your phone, you can't make a call at all, even to let it ring once and hang up. But you can enter a code and the number you want and it will send them a free sms telling them to call you back. I've had to use it before when I've run out of credit and can't get more right away.

If you have no credit in your phone, you can't make a call at all, even to let it ring once and hang up. But you can enter a code and the number you want and it will send them a free sms telling them to call you back. I've had to use it before when I've run out of credit and can't get more right away.

My GF does it to me all the time! LOL, can't call her a cheap charlie as she hangs on a phone a lot and so runing out of cretit quite often and then being unable to call me, she sends me that FREE sms asking to call back.

Cheap Charlie: Me, Myself and I... But only when traveling!

As a Solitaire PPS/Krisflyer member, I always make sure to arrive at the airport several hours before boarding.

Just to stuff myself at the lounge's buffet and washed it down with some bubbly. cool.png

• Like 1

You mate went 3rd's on the total bill, whats the issue ?

Must admit, I'm struggling to see what's so wrong about it also.

I was once invited out by a friend, he had his GF with him. I bought a round, he bought a round and when it came to her round....... They tried to claim that as a couple they only had to pay once, which of course left me paying double.

If the OP is expecting his friend to chip in when the GF doesn't, I don't think the OP's friend is the one that is being cheap.

Glad I'm not the only one who doesnt really see a problem there!! I re-read the post 3 times to see if I was missing something!!

Being poor or not has nothing to do with taking part of the cost, a GF is to be considered a family so those of you saying she has a free vacation, tell this to your wifes and see how that goes.

My wife would insist on making her own contribution and would in no way impose herself on another person by expecting freebies. And under no circumstances would she complain that somebody is cheap after after that person has handed over money, no way. No way would she complain that she actually has to pay her own way, wouldn't happen. She has more respect than that. And yeah, they may have ended up paying 2/3..... between TWO of them. Two people in that realationship, the GF if a person as well.

It might surprise you to know that a lot of women do prefer to pay there own way where possible and it can be extremely patronising to them to have them 'just tag along'.