The Cheapest Charlie

bermondburi

If the Thai cannot afford it, then it should be up to the partner to pay. Not a third party.

Jimbeam need to put himself in his friends shoes. His friend is paying while a 3rd person is evidently not. Apparently the GF paid nothing yet is complaining that somebody else that did pay did not pay 'enough', I know what I'd have to say to that and it rhymes with cough.

If people want to make deals where the partner is excluded from paying, they should negotiate everything first. If they don't and the other person wants to split the bill equally (and fairly) they only have themselves to blame. If a deal is struck then fine, it is the EXPECTATION that is just plain wrong and made so much worse by having the nerve to complain. Especially by somebody that didn't contribute, what a fuc_king cheek.

Edited by Moonrakers

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Thai cannot afford it, then it should be up to the partner to pay. Not a third party.

Jimbeam need to put himself in his friends shoes. His friend is paying while a 3rd person is evidently not. Apparently the GF paid nothing yet is complaining that somebody else that did pay did not pay 'enough', I know what I'd have to say to that and it rhymes with cough.

If people want to make deals where the partner is excluded from paying, they should negotiate everything first. If they don't and the other person wants to split the bill equally (and fairly) they only have themselves to blame. If a deal is struck then fine, it is the EXPECTATION that is just plain wrong and made so much worse by having the nerve to complain. Especially by somebody that didn't contribute, what a fuc_king cheek.

I have to agree with Rakers on the points he is making about this.

It does not matter how poor (or not) the g/f is. Why should the friend pay extra because the other guy has his g/f along? And why should this friend be called tight when he stumped up a reasonable share?

Initially in the OP's post when he said the friend paid 1,000 Baht for the trip I was going to side with him, but after reading the full post I am in agreement with 'Rakers.

Unless of course the friend gets to share the g/f later in bed cool.png

Edited by pattayadingo

Sorry to stray off topic, I clicked like on rakers post above , now what? Is there a running tally somewhere or whats the point. Does he get an sms or something say his post was liked?

As for tight wads, too many to mention with one brush. Guys that take the 25 satang change from anywhere rank up there in my books.

4x25 satang = 1baht,lets not forget.

OK……..Cheap Charlie is it…….Some time ago, a couple of years I think I was single, in Pattaya, sat at a bar and got talking to this bloke, (I won’t mention his nationality) Nice bloke, told a good tail, anyway after an hour I had to go somewhere, “which way you heading” he said…I told him, “could you give me a ride” he said……”sure, why not” so, off we go.

After about 5 minutes of small talk he screams out STOP!……I near shit myself and lock up, <deleted> have I hit? He un-does his belt, smiles at me, (like the cat that got the cream) jumps out the pickup and disappears, comes back 10 seconds later, so smug , holding onto an empty ‘Leo’ beer can…….Waves it in my face like he was holding a KG of Mayan gold and say’s in a low voice ………”50 satang man……..50 satang”……..Great I said, put you seat belt on. 2 minutes later………Yep….”Stop” I stop, he gives me that smile, he gets out………I drive off and leave him.

So all you tight <deleted> out there………………………….. Good for you just do it on your own time, Please!

• Like 1

OK……..Cheap Charlie is it…….Some time ago, a couple of years I think I was single, in Pattaya, sat at a bar and got talking to this bloke, (I won’t mention his nationality) Nice bloke, told a good tail, anyway after an hour I had to go somewhere, “which way you heading” he said…I told him, “could you give me a ride” he said……”sure, why not” so, off we go.

After about 5 minutes of small talk he screams out STOP!……I near shit myself and lock up, <deleted> have I hit? He un-does his belt, smiles at me, (like the cat that got the cream) jumps out the pickup and disappears, comes back 10 seconds later, so smug , holding onto an empty ‘Leo’ beer can…….Waves it in my face like he was holding a KG of Mayan gold and say’s in a low voice ………”50 satang man……..50 satang”……..Great I said, put you seat belt on. 2 minutes later………Yep….”Stop” I stop, he gives me that smile, he gets out………I drive off and leave him.

So all you tight <deleted> out there………………………….. Good for you just do it on your own time, Please!

Classic! :lol:

Here, in BKK, a workmate fell on hard times (after being laid off he didn't even have dosh for a taxi home), so I loaned him a few thousand baht. Now, 6-months later down he's back up on his feet, but do you think the Cheap Charlie will even acknowledge his debt? <deleted> he will.

Years ago, upcountry, trying to sort out a dispute between a Samlor rider and his backpacker passenger at the bus station. The backpacker had been taken from his hotel to the bus station whereupon he gave the Samlor guy .2 Bht. The rider insisted that when he had held 2 fingers up he meant 20 bht because the backpacker could not understand "yii sip baht" , Backpacker insisted that it meant 2 bht. I pointed out that it was quite a long way from his hotel, the 20 bht was a very fair price, (at the time the exchange rate was 75 Bht to the pound)and that the difference really amounted to very little.

No joy, he refused to pay. The resulting tussle over his bag ended up with him pulling the strap off, losing his balance and going backwards into a muddy puddle nicely tainted with diesel fuel.

You bastard Tonto. I had to walk for bloody miles! The jokes on you though. One of those cans still had a swig left in the bottom. Plus a ciggie butt so I got a nicotine hit for free to boot!

We (my friends and I) usually consider Thais as too poor to be included in cost splitting.

Guess you should change your friend circle.

Very unfair comments. Surely, the g/f who had to help organize everything and most likely was exuding typical Thai hospitality merits some consideration? Bet the guest didn't buy flowers or a small gift. My friends and I never quibble at such small things as we are grateful that someone took the effort of the organizing etc. BTW, bet the friend didn't compensate for wear & tear on the vehicle or for petrol or for the services of a driver and "tour guide" either.

I'm terrible, I mean I know a guy who likes to take the hotel soap an shampoos home.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

My wife does that, then she tries to give them away as gifts, we had a shouting match about it a little while ago.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Ha

I think your misses may have just taken the lead as the cheapest Charlie.

Mrs Rakers also likes any freebie that comes her way, but she has yet to give them away as gifts. (I think)

My mate who was over from the UK for Xmas? He came over done his usual BKK, Pattaya thing. Then wanted to do something different. So ok I had a word with the G/F, we decided to take him to Bang-Sapan over Christmas. I drove down in my car from BKK. His contribution for the whole journey (both ways) Bt1000. When we got there we drove around looking for accommodation. Found a beautiful new bungalow, right on the beach. I am sure we were the first guests to use it. It was two bedroom, two showers, In fact it was designed to be let as one complete unit or two separate units. We decided as we were all together to take it as one unit. My G/F done the deal with the guy, breakfast + evening meal 8000 Bt for 5 nights. All the time we were there the guy took us out every day sightseeing. On one occasion we stopped in a little fishing village for a meal. At the end of it my mate? declared that it was the best meal he had ever eaten. It cost me 1000 Bt?. Each day the guy stopped of at a local market on the way back to buy food for the evening. G/F and myself eat a lot of fruit and veg so to us it just seemed natural for us to buy what we wanted. When we got back she messed in with the guy and his mate who was doing the cooking. To prepare the evening meal. On the last day when we asked for the bill it came to 8,860Bt, the extra being minibar. My mate? handed over 3,000Bt.

Meanwhile back in BKK he pays a visit to one of his haunts in Soi Cowboy, gets talking to a girl buys her a coke? Two of her mates join them he also buys them cokes, being the big spender. The end of the night his bill comes to just under 4,000 Bt. It turns out that they were supposedly drinking Tequila and Coke. When I told my G/F we didn't laugh much, honest

jb1

More fool you, grow a pair and tell him what his share is.

totster :D

You mate went 3rd's on the total bill, whats the issue ?

Must admit, I'm struggling to see what's so wrong about it also.

I was once invited out by a friend, he had his GF with him. I bought a round, he bought a round and when it came to her round....... They tried to claim that as a couple they only had to pay once, which of course left me paying double.

If the OP is expecting his friend to chip in when the GF doesn't, I don't think the OP's friend is the one that is being cheap.

I agree. Sounds a bit like some of those unscrupulous bar owners that make sure they include your draught beer in a round of drinks and then when its your round, its top shelf drinks for them

To the OP, if I go to a bar, I don't expect to have to split the mate's bar fine for his girl in the bill.....

Me, I go nuts at the gf when she nicks my 1 baht coins to buy water at the street side machine. <deleted>, I give her an allowance for household expenses. ph34r.png

No, not I'm even that bad. Does annoy me a bit though.

Here, in BKK, a workmate fell on hard times (after being laid off he didn't even have dosh for a taxi home), so I loaned him a few thousand baht. Now, 6-months later down he's back up on his feet, but do you think the Cheap Charlie will even acknowledge his debt? <deleted> he will.

That's not cheap, it's just dishonest.

I'm as cheap as they come, and proud of it, but I dont owe a bean to anyone and never will.

I was coming back from the Grand Prix in KL last year.

The farang couple in front of me had Ferrari branded everything, jackets, polo shirts, hats and even luggage.

As we were walking down the aisle, the wifey was stealing as many airplane cushions as she could into her bag. She must have openly stolen 10 pillows and didn't care who saw.

I found that odd.

That's not cheap, it's just dishonest.

I'm as cheap as they come, and proud of it, but I dont owe a bean to anyone and never will.

No, the guy was stupid for lending the money.

totster :D

It does not matter how poor (or not) the g/f is. Why should the friend pay extra because the other guy has his g/f along? And why should this friend be called tight when he stumped up a reasonable share?

Initially in the OP's post when he said the friend paid 1,000 Baht for the trip I was going to side with him, but after reading the full post I am in agreement with 'Rakers.

It's the rules we set when we go out, there are far more people wanting to go with us, than we want to take.

You don't like it, go on your own or with someone else.

You find cheapos every where. I donot like the person who knows what time the party is to start but they are just getting into the shower. Are when the bill comes sorry I donot have change, dude they make change. The guy who always fumbles when it is time to pay the taxi. I donot go out with these people after the first and last time.

It's the rules we set when we go out, there are far more people wanting to go with us, than we want to take.

Quite

It would have been so easy, before renting the bungalow....: "How we doing this anyway mate, splitting it 50/50?" The friend may well have said yes if asked.

Instead the friend pays what is still a very fair contribution and gets called tight for doing so.

I know an expat who earns over £100K in Thailand who turned up late to an after work meal (where he had been invited by colleges), scraped the left overs onto a plate and made a meal of that, washed down with the cheapest beer on the menu.

When the bill came he placed the price of his beer on the table proclaiming that the food he had eaten was only what everyone else had not wanted.

He's from Yorkshire, Leeds to be precise.

And as we all know the reason they put flat sides on a twenty pence piece is so you use a spanner to get it out of a Yorkshireman's fist.

• Like 2

You mate went 3rd's on the total bill, whats the issue ?

Must admit, I'm struggling to see what's so wrong about it also.

I was once invited out by a friend, he had his GF with him. I bought a round, he bought a round and when it came to her round....... They tried to claim that as a couple they only had to pay once, which of course left me paying double.

If the OP is expecting his friend to chip in when the GF doesn't, I don't think the OP's friend is the one that is being cheap.

agreed.

The GF pays nothing and is along for a free ride yet the friend is the one accused of being tight? The GF effectively gets a free holiday, or collectively both get a discounted holiday, yet still they have the nerve to moan that their friend is the tight one?

They had the option of taking the bungalow as two separate units, they didn't. Instead they chose to rent it as one and split the cost. Splitting the cost means just that

We (my friends and I) usually consider Thais as too poor to be included in cost splitting.

It would just be mean to expect contributions from Thai girls (they have to buy their own food in bars).

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

i dont expect my freinds girlfriends to pay, i just dont expect to have to pay for them beyond the occasional round of drinks.

that said i dont count the rounds either

Edited by nocturn

Our rules for people in the group are also very simple. Each couple or person in the group get their own bills. Sometimes there are odd numbers of people so each person or couple have their own bill at the end.

We all drink at different speeds and all have our own needs and we pay accordingly. That way there is no argument and everyone is happy with that arrangement.

Paying your own bills all but eliminates disagreements.

I don't bother with that with close friends that I trust, but when 'acquaintances' are present its best to avoid any chance of hassle. There's often a bad apple that could ruin the night.

I know an expat who earns over £100K in Thailand who turned up late to an after work meal (where he had been invited by colleges), scraped the left overs onto a plate and made a meal of that, washed down with the cheapest beer on the menu.

When the bill came he placed the price of his beer on the table proclaiming that the food he had eaten was only what everyone else had not wanted.

He's from Yorkshire, Leeds to be precise.

And as we all know the reason they put flat sides on a twenty pence piece is so you use a spanner to get it out of a Yorkshireman's fist.

He's from Leeds in Yorkshire, well so am I and must admit some Yorkshire men are tight fisted penny pinchers, but as some will say "watch the pennies and the pounds will grow".

In October last year I drove from Pattaya with my GF in her car which is a Toyota Fortuner and uses plenty of fuel to meet a friend who'd been working in Thailand, I met him on Khoa San Rd early evening and we had a couple of drinks which I paid for, we then decided to get out of Bangkok due to the floods, we drove back to Pattaya after he'd checked out of his 400 baht per night room.

We stopped at the services on the way, I once again paid for what we ate and drank, he let me.

When in Pattaya I allowed him to stay in the second bedroom where I was staying, after he'd showered and changed we went for a drink in Soi Diane/Lk Metro area where we visited various bars/go go bars, I once again paid more than my fair share and again he let me.

The next day he was due to fly back to the UK in the evening but my GF was in Rayong visiting her mother so use of the car to take him to the airport was a no so he had to get a taxi.

Opposite where we were staying was a taxi booking point where he enquired how much to airport and was quoted 1000 baht, he came back to me and told me he had seen another taxi booking point the evening before and the price was 100 baht cheaper. So off we went together and 45 minutes later found a taxi for 900 baht and booked it. Wow he was happy, he'd saved a whole 2 UK pounds, me I was fuming about wasted time over 2 pounds and the distance we had walked.

Not once while he was in my company did he offer to give my GF or myself any money towards petrol costs and to end this tale, I'll tell you my friend is a self made multi millionaire and IMO one cheap Charlie. By the way he acts the same in the UK.