The Cheapest Charlie

bermondburi

The friend should have said 50/50 if I get to use your gf (or your gf brings a girl for me), otherwise 33/33/33

Using one bed would have made the trip much cheaper.

The mistake was everyone not agreeing terms before the trip.

Another A/H and very derogatory post clap2.gif

jb1

Edited by jimbeam1

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4/ If we had taken the two single Chalets would you still expect the bill to have been split 3 ways?

No

But did you take two single chalets?

There are none as blind.

Read 2,3,6 & 7

jb1

We've all read it.

You rented one unit, you said so yourself. You negotiated the price as a single price (8k), didn't you? A single price for a single unit with two rooms. You could have had the two separately but chose not to, didn't you?

If you feel your friend should have paid 50/50, and you could have an case, you should have agreed that with him first. You didn't make that agreement. You assumed he would think that sharing the single unit would not entail your GF contributing. You assumed wrong and you have only yourself to blame for that.

Had you asked it to go 50/50 beforehand your friend may well have said yes, I expect I probably would have. You didn't and your friends contributed 1/3rd between 3 people which IS also fair. Agreeing to share a single unit between 3 people is agreeing to share the cost of a single unit between 3 people. Your friend is just sticking to what was agreed.

You should not be calling your friend tight

it was your mistake. Put it down to experience and bear it in mind for the future.

Edited by Moonrakers
  • Like 1

Gerontophiles? Thats a new word on me.......I think you should get an award for best new word of the day, on the other hand I now have a mental image I just cant shake sick.giftongue.png

Gerontophilia is new to you? Wow, you haven't lived. An endless (varicose) vein of free sex plus they are so grateful and will say thank you (if they can spare the breath).

That's not living that's simply existing in a place where they shouldn't be if they can't afford to.

Again you assume, quite erroneously, that people save money because they have to and not because they want to.

I agree.. i can be quite cheap on one thing and spend lots of money on something else.

I'd say that would apply to most of us that aren't super rich. I get brassed off at people on travel forums that say because you spent $xxx on the flight to LOS that you're being stingy because you take the bus or airport rail link into town instead of a taxi.

• Like 1

I never could understand the connection between Yorkshire and bein' cheap...but then I guy that I worked with in Indonesia always insisted paying for exactly what he consumed when out with others rather than splitting the bill to save a few rupees and then he said to me when I watched, puzzled: 'I'm from Yorkshire, tutsi and money is important there...' and he was serious...a shame as he was a helluva nice guy otherwise...

cheap folks bother me...

then there was a Romanian colleague recently and we lodged in the same hotel and he could not stand that I didn't eat my free breakfast (I have no appetite at 0630hrs and carry a sandwich to work to eat at my desk around 0930)...he said when almost in tears: 'but you gotta eat it...it's free...'...my lack of appetite had no bearing on the matter...he was also otherwise a nice guy...

and no; cold eggs and sausage left over from the breakfast do not a tasty sandwich make at 0930...

• Like 1

4/ If we had taken the two single Chalets would you still expect the bill to have been split 3 ways?

No

There are none as blind.

Read 2,3,6 & 7

jb1

We've all read it.

You rented one unit, you said so yourself. You negotiated the price as a single price (8k), didn't you? A single price for a single unit with two rooms. You could have had the two separately but chose not to, didn't you?

If you feel your friend should have paid 50/50, and you could have an case, you should have agreed that with him first. You didn't make that agreement. You assumed he would think that sharing the single unit would not entail your GF contributing. You assumed wrong and you have only yourself to blame for that.

Had you asked it to go 50/50 beforehand your friend may well have said yes, I expect I probably would have. You didn't and your friends contributed 1/3rd between 3 people which IS also fair. Agreeing to share a single unit between 3 people is agreeing to share the cost of a single unit between 3 people. Your friend is just sticking to what was agreed.

it was your mistake. Put it down to experience and bear it in mind for the future.

That's not living that's simply existing in a place where they shouldn't be if they can't afford to.

Again you assume, quite erroneously, that people save money because they have to and not because they want to.

I agree.. i can be quite cheap on one thing and spend lots of money on something else.

I'd say that would apply to most of us that aren't super rich. I get brassed off at people on travel forums that say because you spent $xxx on the flight to LOS that you're being stingy because you take the bus or airport rail link into town instead of a taxi.

I actually enjoy the challenge of getting my way around on public transport, it normally switches me on better to my surroundings. To be fair though that normally applies to how much luggage I have with me when I arrive, if I have too much then its a taxi for me.

Gerontophiles? Thats a new word on me.......I think you should get an award for best new word of the day, on the other hand I now have a mental image I just cant shake sick.giftongue.png

Gerontophilia is new to you? Wow, you haven't lived. An endless (varicose) vein of free sex plus they are so grateful and will say thank you (if they can spare the breath).

So in effect you are providing some free elderly care.....good on you biggrin.png

Even when with close friends we will often set out agreements, such as paying our own bills.

People drink...... they get drunk. When people get drunk things happen. Some might start buying rounds for all the girls and their distant relatives. Some might decide they want to blow their money on bottles of Dom Perignon. Others might decide that drinking whiskey and red bull by the bucket load is a good idea.

It's often best to keep it simple.

• Like 1

So in effect you are providing some free elderly care.....good on you biggrin.png

It's fine with me if you think it is free as we aren't allowed to work on retirement visas ...shock1.gif

No

There are none as blind.

Read 2,3,6 & 7

jb1

We've all read it.

[/quoe]

Again I say there are none so blind.

If you would like to read it again, you will notice that at no time did I mention single price or indeed single unit.

My G/F negotiated the price, for the 2 chalets at whatever it was also a price for the bungalow, as it was a good price we took the bungalow, which could be used as 2 units or one. As we were together we took the bungalow. It did not enter my mind that I should also now, negotiate with my friend how the bill should be divided.

What I can tell you though for sure hand on my heart and that is had the situation been in reverse there no way I would have expected the bill to have been anything other than 50/50 and so would he.

Let me bring you back to point 6 on post 179?

Anyway we are off to Udon-Thani tomorrow. I will have to remind her to dip her hand in her pocket, when it comes to paying the hotel bill? lol

jb1

Edited by jimbeam1

If you would like to read it again, you will notice that at no time did I mention single price or indeed single unit.

Ahem

In fact it was designed to be let as one complete unit or two separate units. We decided as we were all together to take it as one unit. My G/F done the deal with the guy, breakfast + evening meal 8000 Bt for 5 nights.

If you're this confused about what happened, the rest of us have no chance.

Edited by Moonrakers
  • Like 1

Ahem

In fact it was designed to be let as one complete unit or two separate units. We decided as we were all together to take it as one unit. My G/F done the deal with the guy, breakfast + evening meal 8000 Bt for 5 nights.

Old chap the confusion is all yours.

jb1

Don't bother with reply, I will just follow the advice in my signature.

Oooh, get him.

Thing is sunshine. If you go through this thread you will see that most agree with myself. What you are essentially saying is that you are right and just about everybody is a fool.

Ultimately the whole trip is so convoluted I see agreement with different aspects and confusion about others.

Personally I never charge my mates petrol money for seats that are going where the car is, we normally trade booze for transport. Food and booze consumed by girlfriends its either ignored or those that brought will offer extra or get the tip but then we'll out-drink our women folk 10-1.

This one seems like miscommunication rather than malice aforethought especially as later posts suggest food and beverage bills were paid separate

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

You are right.

There's rights and wrongs to both sides of the argument. The thing is, I'd likely just split it 50/50 with a friend myself, depending on who the friend is and who the GF is. The thing is though that it is never right for somebody to expect a freebie, and then complain afterwards.

If there is an agreement in place first or if it is a kind of rule between close friends then fine, but that clearly isn't the case here. As I mentioned before, he's made the assumption it is OK and he was wrong. And the gf has a fuc_king cheek to complain after getting a freebie herself, I'd tell her where she can shove her freebies in the future.

Hey perhaps you would like to show me where where I said my G/F complained. Otherwise be very quiet.

But just in case you are gobbing off about the last sentence, in my first post. what we were laughing at, there is a saying. What goes around comes around.

Maybe you should stick to reading what is put in print.

As I said the confusoin is all yours.

jb1

Ahem

jb1

You got that right, I'm very bleedin' confused.

You claim to have never said such a thing, yet I have just quoted you saying exactly that.

Hey perhaps you would like to show me where where I said my G/F complained. Otherwise be very quiet.

The end of the night his bill comes to just under 4,000 Bt. It turns out that they were supposedly drinking Tequila and Coke. When I told my G/F we didn't laugh much, honest

• Like 1

Ahem

jb1

jim

Do you still deny having mentioned renting as a single unit, even though I have quoted you directly saying exactly that?

My mate who was over from the UK for Xmas? He came over done his usual BKK, Pattaya thing. Then wanted to do something different. So ok I had a word with the G/F, we decided to take him to Bang-Sapan over Christmas. I drove down in my car from BKK. His contribution for the whole journey (both ways) Bt1000. When we got there we drove around looking for accommodation. Found a beautiful new bungalow, right on the beach. I am sure we were the first guests to use it. It was two bedroom, two showers, In fact it was designed to be let as one complete unit or two separate units. We decided as we were all together to take it as one unit. My G/F done the deal with the guy, breakfast + evening meal 8000 Bt for 5 nights. All the time we were there the guy took us out every day sightseeing. On one occasion we stopped in a little fishing village for a meal. At the end of it my mate? declared that it was the best meal he had ever eaten. It cost me 1000 Bt?. Each day the guy stopped of at a local market on the way back to buy food for the evening. G/F and myself eat a lot of fruit and veg so to us it just seemed natural for us to buy what we wanted. When we got back she messed in with the guy and his mate who was doing the cooking. To prepare the evening meal. On the last day when we asked for the bill it came to 8,860Bt, the extra being minibar. My mate? handed over 3,000Bt.

Meanwhile back in BKK he pays a visit to one of his haunts in Soi Cowboy, gets talking to a girl buys her a coke? Two of her mates join them he also buys them cokes, being the big spender. The end of the night his bill comes to just under 4,000 Bt. It turns out that they were supposedly drinking Tequila and Coke. When I told my G/F we didn't laugh much, honest

jb1

Three people, seems to me he overpaid ! You should pay him back, don't be a cheapskate and try to take advantage of your friend.

kidding

Yeah all in satang? lol

Ahem

jb1

jim

Do you still deny having mentioned renting as a single unit, even though I have quoted you directly saying exactly that?

Who gives a f***... jasus !

totster passifier.gif

Dont know about you but I am getting a lot of cheap entertainment watching this spat between Jimbeam and Moonrakers biggrin.png

biggrin.png

Just trying to make some sense of it all now. I think the boy's lost his marbles.

Feeling the need for some back up now are we.

For god sake get a life will you.

As for your last post to me. At no time did I mention that we rented a single unit. ok.

jb1

I won't read all of this until much later . But , I will say that being a cheapo is all part of the financial cycle of many in their life time ,the other part being a one day millionaire .

Oh for me grog

Me jolly jolly grog

Oh for me beer and tabackee

Cos I spent all me tin on the lassies drinkin' gin

Oh for me beer and toobaco