The Cheapest Charlie

bermondburi

What I really hate is the vibe in places with the 10 percent service charge in more tourist situations where a lot people still tip well ABOVE that (often tourists without a clue) and then the staff gets snitty to people, yes like me, who will not tip above that. Some people say you don't know if the staff really gets that service charge. Not my business. Sorry.

You're too sensitive. The staff's opinions are their own business, and I don't offer a tip to change their opinions.

SC

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mate went 3rd's on the total bill, whats the issue ?

Must admit, I'm struggling to see what's so wrong about it also.

I was once invited out by a friend, he had his GF with him. I bought a round, he bought a round and when it came to her round....... They tried to claim that as a couple they only had to pay once, which of course left me paying double.

If the OP is expecting his friend to chip in when the GF doesn't, I don't think the OP's friend is the one that is being cheap.

I agree entirely. My Brit g/f absolutely insists on buying her round. Now that she's decided to go back to college in the UK to do her Masters because there are no jobs available these days seemingly anywhere for well educated people, she, a mature student now, still insists on standing her round. Could this be down to a good upbringing, culture or just common decency? Maybe a bit of all three

What I really hate is the vibe in places with the 10 percent service charge in more tourist situations where a lot people still tip well ABOVE that (often tourists without a clue) and then the staff gets snitty to people, yes like me, who will not tip above that. Some people say you don't know if the staff really gets that service charge. Not my business. Sorry.

You're too sensitive. The staff's opinions are their own business, and I don't offer a tip to change their opinions.

SC

Not so sensitive as to stop going to such places if I like their food. But unpleasantness is still no fun. I didn't say I cave to that but I'm sure lots of people do.
  • Like 1

SC

Not so sensitive as to stop going to such places if I like their food. But unpleasantness is still no fun. I didn't say I cave to that but I'm sure lots of people do.

I meant too sensitive in that you notice. Maybe its not the tip, but the paranoia they don't like?

SC

• Like 1

In this particular care YOU are missing the point and their buddy is being a cheap charly.

Yes they had an option to rent it as 2 separate units OR one unit. This is the difference. He didn't mention (except that his GF madde a deal with the owner), but I am sure the cost of a complete bungalow was less than the cost of 2 separate units so by renting it as a whole, each of the parties was getting a discount.

If they rented separate, their bud would have paid more (full price), and they (couple) would have paid full price.

Because they DID rent it as a whole, their bud was supposed to pay discounted price for his half-unit (he DID occupy a half of the unit, didn't he?), and they were supposed to pay discounted price for their half-unit (they both occupied other HALF of the unit, didn't they?).

At the end, their tight-ass-budd ended up paying 1/3 of the total price and they ended up paying 2/3 which is probably more than the cost of half-a-unit before the discount. If you fail to see it, try to play with numbers and see yourself.

4500 baht if separate units no discount (just for example)

each party pays 4500 baht

now, a whole discounted unit is 8000 baht

each party pays 4000 baht

instead their bud pays 1/3 or 2666 baht (I took the minibar cost out), and they paid 2/3 or 5333 baht

So tell me again they are wrong about complaining. Their intentions of a discounted unit (thx to his GF by the way) for sure didn't unclude giving his buddy a break at THEIR expence!

They didn't talk it out before agreeing on the rent - that's their fault, but it should have been obvious.

You might be in the minority, but i think your totally correct on this one.

It should have been split 50-50 (4000bt each).

I agree with that too.. in hotels and such you pay per room.

No reason for him to get a discount. Could have been different if it was one unit and not 2 separate ones.

It was one unit

They had the option of renting as two separate units but chose instead to rent it as one.

It was a two bedroom bungalow

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

I was once invited out by a friend, he had his GF with him. I bought a round, he bought a round and when it came to her round....... They tried to claim that as a couple they only had to pay once, which of course left me paying double.

If the OP is expecting his friend to chip in when the GF doesn't, I don't think the OP's friend is the one that is being cheap.

I agree entirely. My Brit g/f absolutely insists on buying her round. Now that she's decided to go back to college in the UK to do her Masters because there are no jobs available these days seemingly anywhere for well educated people, she, a mature student now, still insists on standing her round. Could this be down to a good upbringing, culture or just common decency? Maybe a bit of all three

understand that, I was out with a Scottish couple and the wife, at the end of the night my wife picked up the bill which almost sent the fellow into a rage at me letting her pay. He found it culturally insulting to let a woman pay.

understand that, I was out with a Scottish couple and the wife, at the end of the night my wife picked up the bill which almost sent the fellow into a rage at me letting her pay. He found it culturally insulting to let a woman pay.

I find it culturally acceptable when anyone wants to pay.. albeit after the normal friendly argument

totster :D

We Scots are highly attuned to buying rounds of drinks, we dont buy for ourselves, we buy for all in our company, and expect the same in return. There are some downsides, our cheap charlies can drink all night then skip at the last minute. As a rule of thumb you will get away with that once or twice, then someone will kick your head in.

Whe I am in England and Wales I get entertained watching people separate themselves from their company to go buy themselves one drink. On the whole I think the Scottish system is more sociable and the English system is more practical. Quite often we Scots get "caught out in company" when we intend only having one or two drinks then end up in large company and blootered drunk........so the next time you see a drunk Scotsman lying facedown in a bar, remember it wasnt his fault, he was only being sociable.

Also your right, there is no way two couples would go out for a meal in Scotland and one of the wives would pay, it would cause a serious stramash and drama.

• Like 2

We Scots are highly attuned to buying rounds of drinks, we dont buy for ourselves, we buy for all in our company, and expect the same in return. There are some downsides, our cheap charlies can drink all night then skip at the last minute. As a rule of thumb you will get away with that once or twice, then someone will kick your head in.

Whe I am in England and Wales I get entertained watching people separate themselves from their company to go buy themselves one drink. On the whole I think the Scottish system is more sociable and the English system is more practical. Quite often we Scots get "caught out in company" when we intend only having one or two drinks then end up in large company and blootered drunk........so the next time you see a drunk Scotsman lying facedown in a bar, remember it wasnt his fault, he was only being sociable.

I wish I could say "sociable" in that state...

I do find it quite - discomfitting - when I'm drinking with colleagues, to be ordering drinks for myself only, or alternatively to have only one big bill for the whole party for the evening. I think there are legal reasons why pubs rarely give credit for drink in the UK, and so rounds are paid for when they are ordered, by whoever ordered them.

Though of course there are all sorts of social challenges, when two groups mingle and the rounds overlap; when you move from one group to another, and so forth

SC

SC

I haven't seen it mentioned here. When you leave the tip on the table or in the wallet, it gets split up among ALL the staff or sometimes not at all as the owner keeps it.

if you want to tip your waiter/waitress for doing a good job, you pay your bill first, get your change (if any) and ask the person who served you to come back to the table when she has given the wallet or bill to the cashier. you then put the tip directly into the hand of your waitress. she then gets to keep it for herself.

if you dont do it like this, the person who served you wont get the tip or only a bit of it.

hope this helps. wai.gif

I haven't seen it mentioned here. When you leave the tip on the table or in the wallet, it gets split up among ALL the staff or sometimes not at all as the owner keeps it.

if you want to tip your waiter/waitress for doing a good job, you pay your bill first, get your change (if any) and ask the person who served you to come back to the table when she has given the wallet or bill to the cashier. you then put the tip directly into the hand of your waitress. she then gets to keep it for herself.

if you dont do it like this, the person who served you wont get the tip or only a bit of it.

hope this helps. wai.gif

In the wallet goes the tip to be shared if you wish to tip an individual wait staff put it in their hand.

If you "private" tip a waiter and leave nothing else on the table be aware that you are stiffing the rest of the staff depending on their tip share rules. Just saying. Personally I am not interested in the internal money politics of restaurants. For service charge places, no extra tip, otherwise if the service isn't shockingly bad, typical Thailand style tip on the table (not dependent on bill total).

Also your right, there is no way two couples would go out for a meal in Scotland and one of the wives would pay, it would cause a serious stramash and drama.

I used to be a partner in a Scottish pub so know this however my wife would never ask for half the money it would have to be offered, which it was. My wife felt an obligation to pay as she was drinking red wine to everyone's shorts, she's just like that.

I must be a cheap Charlie cuz it turns me on when she pays :)

• Like 1

My mate who was over from the UK for Xmas? He came over done his usual BKK, Pattaya thing. Then wanted to do something different. So ok I had a word with the G/F, we decided to take him to Bang-Sapan over Christmas. I drove down in my car from BKK. His contribution for the whole journey (both ways) Bt1000. When we got there we drove around looking for accommodation. Found a beautiful new bungalow, right on the beach. I am sure we were the first guests to use it. It was two bedroom, two showers, In fact it was designed to be let as one complete unit or two separate units. We decided as we were all together to take it as one unit. My G/F done the deal with the guy, breakfast + evening meal 8000 Bt for 5 nights. All the time we were there the guy took us out every day sightseeing. On one occasion we stopped in a little fishing village for a meal. At the end of it my mate? declared that it was the best meal he had ever eaten. It cost me 1000 Bt?. Each day the guy stopped of at a local market on the way back to buy food for the evening. G/F and myself eat a lot of fruit and veg so to us it just seemed natural for us to buy what we wanted. When we got back she messed in with the guy and his mate who was doing the cooking. To prepare the evening meal. On the last day when we asked for the bill it came to 8,860Bt, the extra being minibar. My mate? handed over 3,000Bt.

Meanwhile back in BKK he pays a visit to one of his haunts in Soi Cowboy, gets talking to a girl buys her a coke? Two of her mates join them he also buys them cokes, being the big spender. The end of the night his bill comes to just under 4,000 Bt. It turns out that they were supposedly drinking Tequila and Coke. When I told my G/F we didn't laugh much, honest

jb1

Three people, seems to me he overpaid ! You should pay him back, don't be a cheapskate and try to take advantage of your friend.

kidding

i have no tight arse friends or mates.i refuse to know those type of people. james hat yai clap2.gif

Watch out for bombs..

Why? Freedom of association is cool.

Freedom of association maybe... living in Hat Yai possibly not

i have no tight arse friends or mates.i refuse to know those type of people. james hat yai clap2.gif

Watch out for bombs..

Why? Freedom of association is cool.

Freedom of association maybe... living in Hat Yai possibly not

totster biggrin.png

I dunno

Sounds like a blast

I do find it quite - discomfitting - when I'm drinking with colleagues, to be ordering drinks for myself only, or alternatively to have only one big bill for the whole party for the evening. I think there are legal reasons why pubs rarely give credit for drink in the UK, and so rounds are paid for when they are ordered, by whoever ordered them.

Though of course there are all sorts of social challenges, when two groups mingle and the rounds overlap; when you move from one group to another, and so forth

SC

SC

How long since you bought a round in the UK SC ?

In a lot of pubs in London its quite usual to put your card behind the bar and settle at the end of the night. Especially since chip n pin became the norm.

SC

SC

How long since you bought a round in the UK SC ?

In a lot of pubs in London its quite usual to put your card behind the bar and settle at the end of the night. Especially since chip n pin became the norm.

I think it relates to the fact that drunks cannot enter into contracts except for "necessaries", so if there is no food involved, drinking alone may be perceived as not a "necessary". Now, when the contract is between the publican and the credit card company on the one hand, and an agreement between oneself and the credit card company that we entered into while (presumably) sober, that nicety is removed. And since the credit card company has no interest in whether you were sober or not when you ordered the drinks, since they will pay whatever the ;ublican charges, and back charge it to you , as you agreed to in the credit card agreement... then you probably don't have a leg to stand on, when it comes to disputing the ladies' drinks that were added to your bill and so forth.

To be honest, it must be fifteen years since I drank in London, and I am never happy about letting my credit card into the custody of a vendor.

SC

I was in a pizza place last night. It was very busy, and 7 French guys had placed an order. They went next door to the 7-11 and bought coke, sprite, and a few beers. They sat in the pizza store drinking there 7-11 bought drinks, while they waited for their order. The order was several pizzas and some lasagna. The group decided to double check the bill. All 7 of them went to the counter to check the bill. After analyzing the bill several times they found a mistake for 80 Baht, out of a bill for 2400 Baht…The owner had under charged them 80 Baht. The owner promptly pointed this out to them. They got red in the face, refused to pay the 80 Baht, and rode off.

Think I have just found him,

gotta love the tattoos, no comments on the accent please.

What a wanke_r, why on earth would you post yourself making a complete tit of yourself on the net for all to see.

Why have I never noticed this box.

Do you have gps coordinates?

What a wanke_r, why on earth would you post yourself making a complete tit of yourself on the net for all to see.

When you do find it.

Let me know where it is

When you do find it.

Let me know where it is

You can count on that whistling.gif

When you do find it.

Let me know where it is

You can count on that whistling.gif

I see no problem here...

Usually these places are gaudy expat watering holes with British or Irish names attached to them. Nothing but overpriced clip joints serving pub grub for men with more pounds (monetary and girth wise) than sense. It's easy to avoid these clown cafes. Just refuse patronage.

Edited by wintermute