Catholic bishop in California quits after admitting he fathered two kids

News_Editor

Catholic bishop in California quits after admitting he fathered two kids

2012-01-05 20:37:07 GMT+7 (ICT)

LOS ANGELES (BNO NEWS) -- The Archdiocese of Los Angeles on Wednesday announced that one of its Catholic bishops has resigned after acknowledging he fathered two children in the past.

Gabino Zavala, 60, resigned under the code of canon law which allows bishops to retire earlier than the standard age of 75 if they are sick or unfit for office. He served as the auxiliary bishop for the San Gabriel Pastoral Region, which covers East Los Angeles through the San Gabriel and Pomona valleys.

"I have some sad and difficult information to share with you," the Archbishop of Los Angeles, Jose Gomez, said in a letter. "Bishop Gabino Zavala informed me in early December that he is the father of two minor teenage children, who live with their mother in another state."

Gomez added: "Bishop Zavala also told me that he submitted his resignation to the Holy Father in Rome, which was accepted. Since that time, he has not been in ministry and will be living privately."

The Archdiocese of Los Angeles said it has reached out to the mother and the children to provide spiritual care as well as funding to assist the children with college costs. "The family's identity is not known to the public, and I wish to respect their right to privacy," Gomez said. "Let us pray for all those impacted by this situation and for each other as we reflect on this letter."

Roman Catholic priests must take a vow of celibacy when they are ordained. The celibacy requirement often discourages many men from priesthood.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-01-05