Banana Triplets

maidu

save that banana and replant it to start a new type of banana. Things like this should be saved and propagated, unless it taste nasty.

I can propagate new sprouts from the same group, but I doubt there's a way to propagate from the actual triplet banana itself, unless perhaps a person has specialized cloning skills. The bananas I grow are all excellent taste. Granted, they're probably all Cavendish, but for some reason, the bunches I get have fewer bananas, yet they're about 60% larger than those for sale in markets.

Once, while traveling in Mexico, I had some pinkish bananas which tasted superb (peachy/vanilla). They had some seeds, but if I could get some of those to grow here, that would be very cool.

For that matter, if anyone reading this has (or knows someone who has) plant cloning skills, there could possibly be some interesting variations, melding banana with peach or any of a number of fruits. A Laotian friend planted a vine at my property, and now it's producing round orange-sized fruits. The edible part is within a thick white outer husk. It's dark orange colored with small black seeds. It's like apricot jam in consistency and taste. You eat it by licking it out. quite sensuous.

Hello All, I ran across Mahoi Double when searching on The Banana Tree

web site.

I've seen the Praying Hands banana here in LOS, in fact I think I have a

picture of one on a post to FEF banana post.

rice555 in too wet to plant corn today Korat.

BANANA Musa - Double, also known as Mahoi

Stout trunk. Grows to 8'. Sweet tasting, similar to Cavendish. Called Double

because its second generation can produce two or more large heads of fruit

simultaneously and may weigh over 100 lb.

BANANA Musa - Praying Hands

Mature height is 12'- 14' . Produces perhaps the most unusual and distinctive

of all banana fruits. Two adjacent hands of banana are fused, giving the

appearance of praying hands. The delicious fruits contain a hint of vanilla flavor.

When totally ripe individual bananas can be carefully separated from each other.

BANANA Musa - African Rhino Horn banana

This variety is a tall plantain with long, strongly curved fruits up to 2' long and

weighing 2 pounds. Grows 15' to 18' and will have maroon coloring in the

pseudostem and petioles. Fruits may be cooked or eaten out of hand when fully

ripened.

post-37242-0-52371400-1327036101_thumb.j

post-37242-0-09746300-1327036121_thumb.j

post-37242-0-45690800-1327036143_thumb.j

save that banana and replant it to start a new type of banana. Things like this should be saved and propagated, unless it taste nasty.

I can propagate new sprouts from the same group, but I doubt there's a way to propagate from the actual triplet banana itself, unless perhaps a person has specialized cloning skills. The bananas I grow are all excellent taste. Granted, they're probably all Cavendish, but for some reason, the bunches I get have fewer bananas, yet they're about 60% larger than those for sale in markets.

Once, while traveling in Mexico, I had some pinkish bananas which tasted superb (peachy/vanilla). They had some seeds, but if I could get some of those to grow here, that would be very cool.

For that matter, if anyone reading this has (or knows someone who has) plant cloning skills, there could possibly be some interesting variations, melding banana with peach or any of a number of fruits. A Laotian friend planted a vine at my property, and now it's producing round orange-sized fruits. The edible part is within a thick white outer husk. It's dark orange colored with small black seeds. It's like apricot jam in consistency and taste. You eat it by licking it out. quite sensuous.

Aren't the banana seeds in the actual fruit? im not sure.

When i was a kid, we had a rose bush and a pear tree that grafted together. It grew into a very weird looking plant and put out these little pears that smelled like roses ! Tasted pretty bad. The soil that it was in was extremely moist from faucet leaks from watering the backyard and never really had direct sunlight. The soil was directly next to the backside of the house and we'd throw shrimps shells and fish waste in the soil here. It was in the corner and would catch surface runoff as well. Maybe this extremely wet soil softened the roots enough to allow them to grow into each other? Tons of earth worms in there.

Not related but, we had another pear tree that was located next to a storage shed, we had a barrel where we would dump old motor oil for later pickup. The barrel leaked a bit into the ground and the pear tree seemed to absorb it. This tree had so many pears it was unbelievable, and were almost rock hard, but tasted very good. i dont know if it was the oil, or the wooden foundation the shed was built on that may have in a way nurtured the soil.

• 3 months later...

We are looking at planting some banana plants.Can anybody please tell me ?.Is it true you can cut the stem off the plant and plant the bulb under the ground upside down???We have been told a couple of times this works.The new shoots will come up..ANY IDEAS?

Edited by cobbler