International School Teaching Chinese In Chiang Mai?

intrepidexpat

Any advise on which schools to check out when we come to visit for our look-see?

Kids currently following the British system but have been learning Chinese for a few years so really want to keep this going. Would also like a school that follows IB.

Once we have found a school we can look at places to live...any advise on that too is welcome

thanks

Check out ABS Ambassador. It's not an International school but a Bi-lingual private school.

I know for a fact they have Chinese (Mandarin) classes for age 5 and up... don't know about the quality and so on but certainly worth checking it out.

It would surprise me if the large International schools of CM don't have this available. But I have no factual knowledge about them.

• Like 1

Always a bit of a minefield, and there is no such thing as the perfect school, here or anywhere else.

I have always taken the approach of having some non-negotiables plus a lot of flexibility.

For a British system of education the only choice is Lanna International which offers IGCSEs and A levels, is fully accredited with the Cambridge Exam board and the teachers are pretty competent (these last 2 features are not found at every school in CM FYI).

That's why I chose it for my kids. It's not perfect, and is certainly no tropical Eton, but the kids sem to get a lot out of it, educationally and in general. My view is that a secondary school should prepare students for reaching the next level (whatever that might be), and Lanna seems to do a pretty good job of it.

And they offer Chinese, unfortunately as an either/or with French, but then again which will be the more useful in the future!?

• Like 2

Varee Chiang Mai School also offers Mandarin, at least at Primary 1 level. My granddaughter is in the full English stream, and English takes priority but she has (I think) 6 hours of Mandarin a week, includes listening speaking reading and writing.

Whether it's offer right through all of Primary and into Secondary I don't know.

Suggest you call and ask to speak specifically to Mr Daniel (English guy) who is the head of primary, to get some clear answers.

• Like 1