Seems Maxnet 4 Home Has Gotten Their Act Together

hereforgood

so by the way Jai Dee, are you saying MaxNet4Life is just as bad???!  :o

No... it's great... no problems at all.

I just had a dodgy telephone handset connected to another outlet in the house... it was making so much noise that my router had to slow down the incoming data rate to get a clean transmission.

Once that was fixed (by unplugging the handset) the speeds have been close to those advertised by TT&T.

JaiDee is right. I know other users who have got bad speeds, and then proceeded to clean the connectors, change/remove faulty splitters, clean out the telephone switchbox (in one case it was full of water - no wonder the signal had trouble getting through), change the main outdoors phone cable into the house, and like JD remove other telephone equipment from phone jacks in the house.

All these things could be the culprits causing the bad speed or frequent disconnects, and if they are not fixed, which ISP you use will not matter much.

Not in this case he ain't ole mate. In previous posts I've said my speed is back up to normal at night which suggests the wiring is ok. Tested about ten times last night between 18:00 and 23:00 and the highest I got was 40.60 down to a shocking 3.5kbps. It is now 433!!

TT&T are quite simply, INEPT! in Chiang Mai at least. Example - I cancelled a phone line back in May and it took 6 months of continually ringing and going in there to tell them that I shouldn't have a bill. They said , ok no probs, don't pay it and put a signature on each time. Few days later and I get cut off to which they charged 100 baht each time to reconnect. This went on and on and eventually I kept calling the manager over and over to drum it in to him. A ploy just to get me to think, balls to it I'm not getting anywhere I'll just pay, ot ineptness? I think the latter.

It was not meant to belittle you jackr, just to point out that there are many things that can cause problems, not only the ISP. I was making the point in view of other people who may come to this thread for reference later, and who may mistakenly think it is always the ISP who is at fault.

Apparently, in your case they are, though.

For me personally (also using TT&T in Chiang Mai), the problems I have seem to have to do with the crappy router I was 'given' when signing up for Maxnet4Life.

Out of interest, what do you use to connect - a router or a USB modem?

Yeah, I know you weren't MS and it's defo worth going over your connections if you're constantly getting low speeds. I just have a bad taste in my mouth after dealing with TT&T with their dodgy sign-up strategy and previous phone line problems.

I originally used their Billion modem when I signed to the Home package back in June/July 05, but that would keep dropping out and require several re-connects throughout the day. I've since installed a 4-way SMC router and that works really well.

Speeds seem to have increased yesterday during the day, although still down to 40 at times. I was thinking perhaps they automatically drop your speed near to pay-bill time so that you remember to pay your bill?..hmmm :o