Facebook Friendship Blossoms Into Gay Marriage In Trang

Lite Beer

Facebook friendship blossoms into gay marriage in Trang

Trifa Saekhow

The Nation on Sunday

30173344-01_big.jpg

Having found each other on Facebook and dated for three years, 27-year-old Thongchai Rattanakaew wed his 30-year-old florist boyfriend Chumwit Sudsai in front of their parents and 200 guests in Trang's Huay Yot district yesterday.

Chumwit's mother, Jinda Sudsai, said she had known her son was homosexual since he was young, but she had never criticised him because he was a good person and didn't cause any problems to society. She also encouraged him to join beauty contests, eventually leading to his victory in the Miss Krabi Fairies 2011 title, she said. She gave her blessing and consent to his wedding because it made him happy, and because society was now more open to same-sex marriage.

Jinda said her family sought no money or assets from the "groom" - as she described Thongchai; the families speak of Chumwit as the "bride" - beyond the gold-and-diamond wedding ring, because love and understanding were more important than money.

She said she planned to open a restaurant for her son-in-law to run because he cooked very well.

Chumwit said he initially added Thongchai - who had served as a private at Chon Buri's Sattahip Navy Base - as a Facebook friend because they were fellow southerners. Impressed by Thongchai's simple, down-to-earth nature, Chumwit said the pair had been "boyfriend and girlfriend" for three years. After Thongchai came to help him at his flower shop, Chumwit proposed and Thongchai said yes.

Chumwit said they planned to continue running the flower shop, while Chumwit also taught traditional Thai dancing as a sideline.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-01-08

• Like 2

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How surreal. Gay marriage isn't legally possible in Thailand. Sweet and lovely family though in a quaint way. However, its hilarious how they feel the need to heterosexualize it by labeling the two male partners as male and female. I'd say Thailand has a LONG way to go in this department. I don't think this kind of almost satirical sounding publicity (had to check if it was April Fools) actually helps with that. Gay marriage is same sex marriage, a man and a man, or a woman and a woman, not a man and a woman, and without the need to play act.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

How surreal. Gay marriage isn't legally possible in Thailand. Cool family though in a quaint way. Its hilarious how they feel the need to heterosexualize it by labeling the two male partners as male and female. I'd say Thailand has a LONG way to go in this department. I don't think this kind of almost satirical sounding publicity actually helps with that.

How far does Thailand have to go? Gay marriage might not be legal but it's not very often you hear that gay Thais are physically assaulted for being gay. I'd rather be a gay Thai than Matthew Shepherd.

How surreal. Gay marriage isn't legally possible in Thailand. Cool family though in a quaint way. Its hilarious how they feel the need to heterosexualize it by labeling the two male partners as male and female. I'd say Thailand has a LONG way to go in this department. I don't think this kind of almost satirical sounding publicity actually helps with that.

How far does Thailand have to go? Gay marriage might not be legal but it's not very often you hear that gay Thais are physically assaulted for being gay. I'd rather be a gay Thai than Matthew Shepherd.

That's a high bar you've set. Not being murdered. Congratulations. Edited by Jingthing

That's a low bar you've set. Not being murdered. Congratulations.

The US doesn't have gay marriage. Thailand doesn't have gay marriage. The US has Matthew Shepherd. Thailand doesn't have Matthew Shepherd. Who has the low bar?

Is this news because,

(1) They met on Facebook

(2) They got married

(3) First known Internet relationship in Thailand or;

(4) They are gay?

This happens all around the world everyday, people meet on the net, fall in love and get married. Can't wait until the media find out about interracial marriages. Stop the press "Thai girl meets farang on net and gets married"

Edited by chooka

The US doesn't have gay marriage. Thailand doesn't have gay marriage. The US has Matthew Shepherd. Thailand doesn't have Matthew Shepherd. Who has the low bar?

The US is many decades ahead of Thailand on the legalize gay marriage issue. Edited by Jingthing

Is this news because,

(1) They met on Facebook

(2) They got married

(3) First known Internet relationship in Thailand or;

(4) They are gay?

This happens all around the world everyday, people meet on the net, fall in love and get married. Can't wait until the media find out about interracial marriages. Stop the press "Thai girl meets farang on net and gets married"

It is just a colour piece. Every newspaper across the world does them. As jingthing commented, it does sound almost satirical.

That's a low bar you've set. Not being murdered. Congratulations.

How did you manage link Matthew Shepherd to this story?

By talking about the differences in tolerance for gay people in the US and Thailand. Read the thread for more info coffee1.gif

I did. It was a point you introduced laugh.png read the thread for more info!

I did. The thread started with a post about the 'marriage' between two men in Trang. Rather than simple congratulations we had the usual comparison between western mores and those that exist in Thailand together with the usual western nitpickery about the word 'marriage'. I then went on to point out that being gay in the west is a much more violent occupation than being gay in Thailand.

'victory in the Miss Krabi Fairies 2011 title'

Well named.

Jinda said her family sought no money or assets from the "groom" - as she described Thongchai; the families speak of Chumwit as the "bride" - beyond the gold-and-diamond wedding ring, because love and understanding were more important than money.

But seriously, I hope this tradition catches on.

It should not be newsworthy in that every adult should have the right to marry whoever they love, of either sex, and it shouldn't be considered out of the ordinary. A similar recent story made the news mainly because one partner was a farang who paid an amazing amount as a dowry... thats newsworthy and not because they were both male.

Arguments about whether Thailand is more advanced than some other country in acceptance or toleration of people of minority sexual orientation are specious.

It is my view that the difference in anger and violence targeted at such people in many jurisdictions runs parallel to the importance the people of a given culture place on hermeneutic analysis of ancient texts and legal constructs. In East Asia the hermeneutic approach to social order is less developed than in the West so the poster above who asserts that "By Thai culture, they are married" is right in my view.

Following long association (since 1971) with a number of Thais from all classes, I am aware that those educated Thais who self identify as gay, rather resent the popular Thai perception that Katooey are gay as it leads to the perception that all gays are Katooey. Those in middle-class situations certainly feel more oppressed than their UK counterparts whereas those in HiSo or LoSo feel they have more freedom for different reasons.

Good luck to this couple however they perceive themselves.

I believe it is a human right to enact your life in accordance with your self perception of your sexual orientation and sexual identity. If you find a companion in that, who cares how you or anyone else labels the relationship.

Who on God's earth is this matthew shepherd person. What is his claim to fame? Never heard of the Character. I tried a google search and is this the guy you are talking about.

Matthew Shepherd is the State Representative for District 6, which includes El Dorado and western Union County, Arkansas. What has a U.S politician got to do with 2 gay thai's getting married? Maybe there is some personal thing that the rest of us on here are not prevy too.

Who on God's earth is this matthew shepherd person. What is his claim to fame? Never heard of the Character. I tried a google search and is this the guy you are talking about.

Matthew Shepherd is the State Representative for District 6, which includes El Dorado and western Union County, Arkansas. What has a U.S politician got to do with 2 gay thai's getting married? Maybe there is some personal thing that the rest of us on here are not prevy too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Shepard

How do you reckon Fred Phelps would fare in Thailand? They'd laugh him all the way to Suwanapoom.

Mr. Phelps and his family cult are contained in public by the very same people that you would consider rabid gay bashers. I suggest you look up the videos of heteros that show up to block him from offending people at funerals. . You have selected a bad example. This is one of my favourite videos showing a cross section of a community responding. Watch it all and your faith in society will be restored.

How sad. Its a nice story with two nice guys who love each other and a lovely family that appreciates and applauds their loving relationship and all some people can come on and do is nitpick, crticise and complain. You people really need to learn to ease up on the negativity once in a while, its extremely tiresome.