Open Letter To PM Yingluck Re: Updating Laws Affecting Foreigners From Drew Noyes

webfact

Mock the man all yall want over meaningless spelling errors and other petty crap, but at least he's trying, which is more than any of these chumps laughing at him ever did. Good Luck and thanks is what I say too him.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is just another attempt to "make your own front page news" to sell papers by Pattaya Times. This technic was used a couple of years ago by pattaya people newspaper as well with a front page news story "Foreigners to own 1 rai of land". The article then went on to state this was an open letter to the government. Of course nothing ever happened and no follow up news about it. In pattaya if you don't have front page news then make your own. I am surprised TV would would ad this news topic considering the sorce.

I couldn't agree with you more.

Someone making their own news to drum up business?

I agree with the general content of the letter. There should be 100% support for the content of this letter, especially amongst foreigners. Really, what's with you blokes?

Ethical conduct has much to do with who I decide to give my support to.

I know, I don't fit in here.

Another public notice:

If your post has disappeared, explanation is offered through public notice by forum moderators within the topic. If you feel the public notice does not cover the reason why your post has been removed from view, please contact board moderator to ask why.

Do not keep reposting, as your content will be removed again, and you may find your posting privileges withdrawn.

Please note of the following forum rule:

6) Not to post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel. Defamation is the issuance of a false statement about another person, which causes that person to suffer harm. Libel involves the making of defamatory statements in a printed or fixed medium, such as a magazine or newspaper.

I wonder why so many Farangs wants to be Thai?

Most Thai would love the same opportunity to visit a Farang country (not to mention wanting to be Farang citizen), any Farang countries, but visa is more difficult to get than winning a lottery.

Can i sum this up with fewer words? Please PM,can you treat foreigners fairly?? thank you.

To be honest with you I don't want to be treated like they treat Thai's trying to go to The States and Canada.

Canadian or American come to Thailand welcome. Thai go to Canada or the States get back on the plane and go to where ever you come from you are not rich enough to come here.

As for the financial requirements try to go to wherever you come from and then go to another countrie and say I have enough money to live on every month but if I am in a accident or get sick you will have to take care of me. And further more I don't want to learn your language you should learn mine.

OK I through that last bit in but it is so true for the majority of expats. I said majority not all many many do learn Thai.

Can i sum this up with fewer words? Please PM,can you treat foreigners fairly?? thank you.

To be honest with you I don't want to be treated like they treat Thai's trying to go to The States and Canada.

Canadian or American come to Thailand welcome. Thai go to Canada or the States get back on the plane and go to where ever you come from you are not rich enough to come here.

As for the financial requirements try to go to wherever you come from and then go to another countrie and say I have enough money to live on every month but if I am in a accident or get sick you will have to take care of me. And further more I don't want to learn your language you should learn mine.

OK I through that last bit in but it is so true for the majority of expats. I said majority not all many many do learn Thai.

Alai na krap?

lets hope something good is coming out of it , it is difficult enough to stay long term in Thailand

Its about time the change something on these stupid laws.

We are all spending enough money there to have some good and peacefull retirment

we life in hope

Edited by metisdead
Font reset, use default forum font when posting.

I don't know where you get this? There are 100,000 thais living in the Los Angeles area.

Edited by marinediscoking

Well whatever is written on the letter seems to be benefiting the foreigners in Thailand. But is it fine to ask for a government to change its laws so suit someone who is a "Foreigner"? Its like going to someone's house and then asking them to serve the breakfast at 5 am because its better for you? I believe that, if we are choosing to live in Thailand we should accept its rules and not ask a change in its laws. Ever imagined what would happen if all these "requests" are granted ? I mean from a Thai's point of view.

Well Said

I try to fit in some times not at all but I try. I have noticed many people are unhappy because they don't want to fit in they want to change every thing. I may never fit in completely but I can still enjoy the people and the country. It drives me crazy when I hear retirees complaining that they have to check in every 90 days. They can mail it i. But what are they doing that they can not spend the little time involved to check in every 90 days. Here in Chiang Mai the longest I have ever waited was 2 hours and that was because I got there a hour before it opened. Last time I waited ten minutes. I had gotten there two and a half hours after it opened.

Yes I know other visa are not that easy.

I wonder how simple it is for a Thai to live in your country.......

Yeah I wonder...what with student visas, work visas, marriage visas, all allowed to stay, live and work...even buy land and live forever, setup businesses and have a hoot of a time....oh...then there is even the right to social security benefits of every description.

OK,

in Austria anyone can buy land, own a business, work, study, after 22 year I went the first time back and stay for one year, I was disappointed, all is full with foreigners, in Graz or Vienna you hear all kind of east block languages, not much German,

we pick up all the people around the world seeking asylum, we give them money, housing,they not need to work, all paid bei the government,

when you work you pay from you salary health insurance, jobless insurance and you pay in to the pension fund,

with this you are entitled to sick leave, doctor, hospital, all paid, also you not find a job, you get money until you find a job,

and then for the lazy foreigners we still have social welfare,

if you are looking for the paradise, go to Austria

that's why I am back in BKK, I fell pok here for the last 20 years

"For example, a man from England who decided to retire in Thailand at anytime from 2002 to mid-2008 would have calculated the value he would receive monthly from his British pension of his pounds sterling amount into Thai baht at an exchange rate of 60 – 70 baht to each pound. At 60 baht to the pound if his monthly pension is 13,500 pounds per month (1,112 pounds per month) he qualified easily for a one year visa for 6 straight years."

i do not understand how, It does not add up. Maybe the Pound Sterling was over rated anyway.

Wish this would be so easy, but in the reality we may have to wait lightyears for things like this to happened...

The reality is Thais are pretty much protect their nation from any foreign "intervention" (yes they think if they grant rights for us it will lead to intervention), they welcome tourists (sextourists too) but dont want any foreigner to live here long time, unless pay super extra high fees for visas, investments, etc.

They really not fair if we look this special laws and compare to other nations, even a muslim Malaysia have better rules about marry to a malay girl and just look at Hong Kong, Singapore, Macau, etc. why they Prosper? Why they so advanced? Why they supercharged with the investments? Why they not 3rd world country? Why? because they let that so called dangerous, hated farang to come, settle down, invest, show the way of doing things...

This country need a big shock to wake up, or who know, maybe this shocks are not enough (like tsunami, flooding, unrests, financial crisis), this mentality too deep in the nationailst society to open up, I think everybody must be happy at least can stay here somehow... For how long, nobody know and this is why most foreigners dont want to invest here because everything is so uncertain is better to pay that yearly visa and live day by day, month by month, year by year... Rent some cheap house, dont invest into anything, dont marry, dont spend big monies.

If Europe/USA busted and people will dont have chance to come and visit thailand in big numbers every year, they might wake up and see the continously beleived magic tourist income will fall down, maybe-maybe will give some free tourist visas, haha...

Complete nonsense whats going on here, and what we see? We see only super rich show-offs with hiso cars and houses and super poor thais struggle in the country without any protection, this is capitalism in a nationalist way, i think even communist China doing better because at least they welcome the businessman, not trying to put obsticles in front of them. But of course nobody want to live in a place like china, thats a jail country too, not talking about their disgusting behaviours, etc...

Good luck for the letter, maybe would be better to sign an online petition those how many hundred thousand or million farang who live here, but nothing will happened, just matter or laugh for those riches who control the country and really dont care old papa with young poor wife bought his "land", wife will loose....

We are investment for them in a controlled manner, but its not investment for us how you expect from a normal foreign country...

Wake up, adopt, accept or go away, they think new walking ATM will come always...

Don't know about all the countries you mentioned but Thailand is a lot easier to retire in than Malasia.

I notice you are preoccupied with money.

Alai na krap?

Is this true? Thai people gets turn back from US/Canadian airports?

I never been outside Thailand (apart from Thai Laos border town).

I don't know where you get this? There are 100,000 thais living in the Los Angeles area.

Actually I think there are 400,000 Thais in the LA area.

Newspaper in Thai language etc. etc.

I don't know who this Drew Noyes is but if he must send an open letter on a public forum to the Prime Minister of the country I would politely suggest he at least gets someone who can write clearly and concisely to read it through for him first. Maybe one of his team of lawyers? Much less embarrassing for the writer (and for the rest of us ex-pats who will cringe at it) and also a much greater chance of anyone remotely connected to the PM actually taking the trouble to read it.

Edited by bigbamboo

Alai na krap?

Sanook dee koi, kopkhun krap !

Good luck.

Farang married to Thai 40,000 bht per month or 400,000 in the bank

Farang married to Farang 65,000 bht per month or 800,000 in the bank

Why is this the case !! We should all be treated the same and I am sure if I was married to a Thai my bank balance would not be as healthy.

Good for you Drew, and I'm sure she will "overcome" this letter. Oops.

Nearly right, overlook more like it. Doubt that she will welcome or overcome it.

However, I am in full agrrement with the letter's contents. Good luck!

YS is not like Mark.

Maybe it is better if you submit the letter in Thai.

Else she probably thought that it is another one of those junk mail by Reader Digest offering a fake car key and lucky draw number.

Good luck.

Farang married to Thai 40,000 bht per month or 400,000 in the bank

Farang married to Farang 65,000 bht per month or 800,000 in the bank

Why is this the case !! We should all be treated the same and I am sure if I was married to a Thai my bank balance would not be as healthy.

Thai wife is simple to keep, as she only have your ATM pin.

Farang wife is more expensive, as she also get hold of your supplementry credit cards. Yes, the Platinum one.

I note a typical 'Thailand expat' attitude here: as soon as someone tries to engage himself for the community, he is ridiculed, criticized and spelling errors are fingerpointed at (usually not without spelling and grammatical errors).

It's pitiable and pathetic, and shows how little self esteem there exists in many of us.

+1

• Like 1

For "foreigners", many posters erroneously on this forum read "farangs".

They seem to forget that most inward migration, particularly economic migration, comes from surrounding Asian countries with large populations and lower per capita income, particularly China and Burma.

The laws are designed primarily with these people in mind.