Wpa And Wpa2 Cracking With Reaver

nikster

Knowledge is power, so just a heads up that WPA and WPA2 wireless networks are now not necessarily secure anymore. Thanks to a feature called WPS which is on most WiFi hotspots, there is apparently a secret PIN code that allows recovery of the WiFi password - brilliant work, manufacturers, to compromise your own security like that!

The way I understand it WPS is basically a master password built into every router!

The Reaver tool takes 4 - 10 hours to crack a WiFi password.

http://lifehacker.com/5873407/how-to-crack-a-wi+fi-networks-wpa-password-with-reaver?popular=true

The recommended protection is to either use DD-WRT which wisely doesn't support WPS in the first place, or find a router where WPS can be disabled. In the above article and doing some testing, the reviewers found that even on those routers that had a WPS disable function, this function wasn't working. CIA back door or just stupidity? I'd bet on the latter. But in any case, your router may not be secure.

I don't think your neighbor would go through the trouble of doing this, but if someone has an agenda they can hack into your home network.

• Like 1

I find it strange that the article doesn't mention whether transmitting or hiding your SSID affects the Reaver's ability to crack your network; or did I miss it?

won't help.

$ ./reaver --help

Reaver v1.3 WiFi Protected Setup Attack Tool

Copyright © 2011, Tactical Network Solutions, Craig Heffner <[email protected]>

Required Arguments:

-i, --interface=<wlan> Name of the monitor-mode interface to use

-b, --bssid=<mac> BSSID of the target AP