Importing Your Car

Hi All

has anybody here had experience of importing their car from their own country over to here. I have a car and motorbike back in the Uk and rather than sell them I thought about bringing them over. I have looked on a couple of websites but they do not really tell me how much duty I would have to pay.

Anyone any ideas ?

bunch of existing topics here on this

initially you need an importlicense, takes some months and require a non Imm Visa, couple of years ownership before application

duty is 80%

exciceatx is 30-50% based on cars value and duty, depending on engine

interior tax

7% vat

in general its more expensive than buying same vehicles here, and bunch of hassle

initially you need an importlicense, takes some months and require a non Imm Visa, couple of years ownership before application

duty is 80%

interior tax

7% vat

in general its more expensive than buying same vehicles here, and bunch of hassle

Ok thanks for the info, will have a look at other threads, does seem a lot of hassle and expensive but the car is an old Porche so was hoping it would not cost as much.

duty is 80%

interior tax

7% vat

Ok thanks for the info, will have a look at other threads, does seem a lot of hassle and expensive but the car is an old Porche so was hoping it would not cost as much.

And there's whether or not the customs agent wants your car or not as if they do it will be well out reach duty wise .. Porsche probably... coffee1.gif Also since KBB glossed over it due to the redundancy of the thread the value placed on the car for tax purposes is not based on it's current value but it's new value as I understand it drunk.gif ..

Edited by WarpSpeed

The value is as determined by customs' own valuation - and that usually keeps on increasing until you say 'forget it, keep the car' ;)

In short though, unless you have very good connections with people in high-up positions in the customs dept, there's no way you'll be able to import a Porsche that's worth importing for less than what you could but it for here.

The value is as determined by customs' own valuation - and that usually keeps on increasing until you say 'forget it, keep the car' wink.png

In short though, unless you have very good connections with people in high-up positions in the customs dept, there's no way you'll be able to import a Porsche that's worth importing for less than what you could but it for here.

Yeah cheers, that's what I meant...

Just one more tip for anybody who is still thinking of importing their car from abroad, get a disabled drivers kit fitted in your home country... you'll need it after paying an arm and a leg to customs here. smile.png

cheesy.gif And anything you have left over can go towards a modified motorcycle trike.